ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-RC)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-RC)

#1 Post by peebee »

ArtfulPup-17.11 is released

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-artful/

ArtfulPup is built using 32-bit Ubuntu Artful Aardvark (17.10) components.
Kernel is 4.9.59 32-bit pae (see next post also) and requires firmware in an fdrv (in the .iso)

Posts about 17.11 start at:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 955#972955
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(91.53 KiB) Downloaded 58514 times
Last edited by peebee on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 07:50, edited 21 times in total.

peebee

#2 Post by peebee »

Known bugs and issues:

For older systems that won't boot PAE kernels - new kernels have the forcepae option and adding

Code: Select all

-- forcepae
to kernel line gets it to boot. (note there's a space after -- )

ndiswrapper_1.61-k4.9.92-lxpup-pae.pet

05-nov-2017: If you want to use encrypted savefiles using LUKS you should apply Update 17.11+2 or later.

17-apr-2018: "renaming of "eth0" in Upup-Bionic-Beaver? Mine is now "enp3s0". Has anyone found a way to avoid this renaming?"
net.ifnames=0 on the kernel line should force naming as eth0
Last edited by peebee on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 05:56, edited 10 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

How to build ArtfulPup

#3 Post by peebee »

How-to build ArtfulPup....

1. Use a recent 32-bit Puppy installation...
2. with devx loaded
3. with an internet connection
4. Get woof-CE - in a terminal run:

git clone https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE.git -b testing
5. Download artful/ folder; in the terminal run:

wget -r -np -R "index.html*" http://smokey01.com/peebee/artfulpup/woof-distro/x86/ubuntu/artful/
6. Move /smokey01.com/peebee/artfulpup/woof-distro/x86/ubuntu/artful folder to: /woof-CE/woof-distro/x86/ubuntu/
7. Change directory to /woof-CE; in a terminal run

./merge2out
		target architecture 2 - x86
		compat-distro 5 - ubuntu
		release 1 - artful
8. Change directory to /woof-out_x86_x86_ubuntu_artful; delete all files Packages-Puppy-*-Official
9. In a terminal run:

./0setup
./support/findpkgs
10. Check FINDPKGS-NOT-FOUND and /status/findpkgs_FINAL_PKGS-ubuntu-artful are OK
11. Move /woof-out_x86_x86_ubuntu_artful/rootfs-packages.conf to folder /woof-out_x86_x86_ubuntu_artful/support/
12. Download kernel from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... 2/download
and then move kernel to /woof-out_x86_x86_ubuntu_artful/huge_kernel/
13. Make folder /sandbox3 if it doesn't exist; download 4 files from:
http://smokey01.com/peebee/artfulpup/drv-sfs/
and then move adrv, fdrv, ydrv and README-extra_sfs to /sandbox3
14. Now the lengthy bits... in a terminal run:

./1download
./2createpackages
./3builddistro-Z
Notes:
Step 12 - other huge-kernels can be used; lxpup kernels require the fdrv (step 13); other huge-kernels may have firmware in the zdrv.
Last edited by peebee on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 17:17, edited 2 times in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

ally

#4 Post by ally »

Last edited by ally on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 16:44, edited 2 times in total.

Sailor Enceladus

#5 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

It's running ok for me so far. The choice of apps seems good, and it looks pretty. Sound and wifi are working here. Performance seems smooth enough on my Pentium M laptop or similar to comparative newer distros, seems at least as stable as Xenialpup for me too. I included the fdrv but not the adrv, and downloaded your Firefox56 to browse (as I remember Light-48 having the youtube playing way too fast bug, but 46 was ok). The entry for Light was still in the menu though (but had no icon), the Firefox sfs had no icon in the menu as well. That's all I noticed so far. Nice to see the Ubuntu puppies moving forward into new challenges. :)

Limbomusic

very

#6 Post by Limbomusic »

Running very well on a Dell Vostro1000 1.5gb ram (from 2005).
Using the chromium-sfs. Everything looks good and works.
Tested from usb and frugal install.

zigbert

#7 Post by zigbert »

Thumbs up :)

Zesty doesn't give correct resolution on my system (1920x1080). Xenial does it correct and it seems that Zesty is lacking a driver.

The following info is taken from PupSysInfo

Zesty

VGA compatible controller
• Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
• VendorID=AMD/ATI BeaverCreek
• VendorID=Radeon HD 6550D
• VendorID=1002  DeviceID=9640
• Kernel Module=radeon

Xenial

VGA compatible controller
• Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
• VendorID=AMD/ATI BeaverCreek
• VendorID=Radeon HD 6550D
• VendorID=1002  DeviceID=9640
• Kernel Driver=radeon
• Kernel Module=radeon

mavrothal

#8 Post by mavrothal »

On a fast (VM based) test, things look past alpha.
Light icon is missing from the menu. I guess because you install in /usr/local instead of /usr. Giving the full path for the U icon in mozilla-light.desktop, also fixes that.
Some of the JWM themes fail because have tags that the version of JWM used does not understand. Xenial has 2.3.5 and Zesty 2.3.2. The latest JWM is 2.3.7
You may also want to set defaults off in a number of sharing apps at startup. Is handy for the user but in a system that runs as root and no firewall, may become problematic.
So, nothing major. Looks good
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

#9 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:On a fast (VM based) test, things look past alpha.
Light icon is missing from the menu. I guess because you install in /usr/local instead of /usr. Giving the full path for the U icon in mozilla-light.desktop, also fixes that.
Some of the JWM themes fail because have tags that the version of JWM used does not understand. Xenial has 2.3.5 and Zesty 2.3.2. The latest JWM is 2.3.7
You may also want to set defaults off in a number of sharing apps at startup. Is handy for the user but in a system that runs as root and no firewall, may become problematic.
So, nothing major. Looks good
Hi @mav....

JWM is a nightmare!!! I used 2.3.2 from Slacko because anything later seems to be incompatible with Ptheme.... this was @Zigbert's advice due to Ptheme giving errors with 2.3.5...I think you're now saying that some of the themes are not compatible with 2.3.2?? Which themes errored? Any clues as to what changes are needed?

As for 2.3.7 - then that's probably incompatible with everything!!!

Maybe I should just ditch JWM and move to LXDE as jlst is proposing I think - but then this wouldn't be a Pup - it would be an LxPup....

'Fraid I don't understand "You may also want to set defaults off in a number of sharing apps at startup. Is handy for the user but in a system that runs as root and no firewall, may become problematic. " - which sharing apps? what defaults?

Cheers
peebee

Marv

#10 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:Maybe I should just ditch JWM and move to LXDE as jlst is proposing I think - but then this wouldn't be a Pup - it would be an LxPup....
Hi peebee,
Installed and runs well on my i5 based laptop. All the video and wireless drivers are there, touchpad etc. all completely useable on first boot. I used SNS for the wireless connect. No problems. I set up Slimjet 15.1.2.0 from SFS in my usual manner. No issues there. Disabled intel_pstate and set up the acpi_cpu driver and a governor or two. No problems there. Installed pcmanfm using the PPM and made it the default filemanager. That went well. I didn't get to setting up rightclicks or checking the suspends though because the jwm theme and panel setup and the myriad sort of functional wallpaper and theme setters sent me scuttling back to lxde. I tried. It seems solid and functional, but I guess I'm way too used to either lxde (my slight preference at this time for its more robust panel) or XFCE.

Thanks for the venture,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Robert123

#11 Post by Robert123 »

Congrats Peebee on going ahead with this - look forward to playing with it.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

Robert123

#12 Post by Robert123 »

Well had a play.
Machine: T42 Thinkpad with celeron m chip

Booted live using unetbootin using forcepae option.

Video, Booting to desktop, Connecting to the web and sound all working. Xcalc crashing xserver still a bug. Light Browser - first experience seems nice and light to use. Overall very nice Peebee for an Alpha build.

Thank you.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

James C

#13 Post by James C »

Quick manual frugal install and test. Booted to the correct screen resolution with working sound and internet.

Installed 4 or 5 packages with the PPM, all work.

# inxi -Fxx
System:    Host: puppypc1714 Kernel: 4.9.50-lxpup-32-pae i686 (32 bit gcc: 7.1.0)
           Desktop: JWM 2.3.2 dm: N/A Distro: ZestyPup 17.10.01
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx serial: 150545593600028
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2601 date: 03/24/2015
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 42140
           clock speeds: min/max: 1400/3500 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 2000 MHz
           3: 1400 MHz 4: 2000 MHz 5: 1400 MHz 6: 2000 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0a65
           Display Server: X.org 1.19.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0be3
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1002:4383
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.50-lxpup-32-pae
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000
           bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
           mac: 1c:87:2c:5a:bb:e2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1120.2GB (5.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB serial: N/A
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB serial: N/A
Partition: ID-1: swap-1 size: 8.60GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb5
RAID:      System: supported: linear raid0 raid1 raid10 raid6 raid5 raid4
           No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
           Unused Devices: none
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 186 Uptime: 16 min Memory: 316.4/16111.7MB
           Init: SysVinit v: N/A runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.291 running in lxterminal) inxi: 2.3.8 

# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:      16498392    1065396   15432996     337504     121432     656112
-/+ buffers/cache:     287852   16210540
Swap:      8396796          0    8396796
I'll try to squeeze in some more testing as time allows.Looks pretty solid so far.
Attachments
Zesty.jpg
(52.14 KiB) Downloaded 22161 times

belham2

#14 Post by belham2 »

Hi Peebee,

Good stuff. Overall nice job. Added Slimjet & Slimjet-Silent-Launch (ditched the adrv altogether), RedshiftGUI, Sakura and so far all seems ok and to be playing nice together. Right-click menu options could use some sprucing up, as they're pretty sparce. Only major thing I am coming across is a glitch/bug in JWMDesktop Control or just JWM itself....any changes you try to make for either jwm-tray (top or bottom), no matter what the changes are, crashes things and you get an error box (as shown in pic below) and jwm resets all of your "jwm" work back to the pristine backup.jwmrc. This stinks because it wipes everything you've previously set up. Other than that (and a few desktop and symlink things, which were easily fixed), everything seems to be running good. I've been squashing/unsquashing, threw some HD videos at gnome & it did ok, and tomorrow I will give some compiling a few things a go. Also, love the fat Zestypup background :lol:
Attachments
Zestypup-alpha.png
(170.19 KiB) Downloaded 22081 times
jwmDeskmanager-touchy-and-crashing-with-any-changes-made.png
(89.22 KiB) Downloaded 21988 times

wiak

#15 Post by wiak »

peebee wrote: Maybe I should just ditch JWM and move to LXDE as jlst is proposing I think - but then this wouldn't be a Pup - it would be an LxPup....
Hi Peebee,

I really don't see that the desktop type used in any way defines what a Puppy is. Many systems nowadays provide quick desktop user-change util - doesn't change the overall system... It's the underlying system control scripts that really define a different distribution - a desktop manager is basically just an application. So no such thing as a JWMPup or an OpenboxPup - if built using Puppy system scripts, such as via woof-CE, then its a Puppy whatever window manager is used IMO.

Once upon a time Puppy iso strived to be as small as possible - prior even to xz compression being available around 50MB and certainly less than 100MB (and a little bit, pretty much irrelevant, less RAM). The very small JWM was useful back then to try and help achieve that. These days have gone at least to the extent that using JWM or openbox etc doesn't make much of an overall iso size difference issue. Certainly, different WMs have their own different config and menu util requirements.

wiak

mavrothal

#16 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote:JWM is a nightmare!!!
I do not think so. JWM is changing/improving and some configuration tools are not. I think for now Radky's are doing the best job and the reason other buntu/debian pups prefer it. There is no reason to drop JWM just because it becomes better.
I also notie that you have both JWMdesk and jwmconfig3. Not sure how well the play all together.
Regarding "problem" themes in the current setting, all themes that have either one or both of the errors belams2 shows above ie DarkGray-jwmrc material-blue-jwmrc material-sweet-jwmrc Original-jwmrc stark-blueish-jwmrc stnakes-jwmrc Teh-Gray-jwmrc and Win9x-jwmrc
peebee wrote:'Fraid I don't understand
:oops:
I'm talking about services starting in /etc/init.d/ and include YASSM, rsync etc. Since samba and minidlna are off is not a big issue, but still.
These are user configurable through Bootmanager>Services so can be easily changed either way.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

If you are going to help bug fix a new version of Puppy.

I would think the stuff to check and report on, is what comes installed.
Nothing else for a alpha release bug test.

If you report on stuff you install.
How do we know you installed it correctly or even installed the correct version, that should be compatible with the Puppy version.

At this point in testing. I think only test what is already in the Puppy version and make sure all of it is working correctly.

Later, compatible added software can be an issue to fix.

What hardware is this Puppy version designed to support?
Yes, that is now an issue to decide.

I have a very new computer and no Puppy, older than Tahrpup 6.0.5, will support the hardware. Even Tahrpup has some issues with drivers.

I assume, by using the 4.9.50 kernel you hope to support newer hardware. Not sure what older hardware that kernel no longer supports.
Some reports on what exact hardware you try it on, should help to find out what minimum requirements are.

Developer has already stated has limited hardware, so help with exact detailed specific hardware info.
Processor
RAM
Graphics hardware
Wifi make&model
Printer make&model
Etc.......
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#18 Post by bigpup »

i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz
UEFI bios
Ram 16GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H HD Audio
No printer

Frugal install to USB hard drive formatted fat 32 partition.
Initial boot.

Booted to working desktop.
Nouveau driver for graphics.
Ethernet and wireless detected and available.
Ethernet auto connected and working. Not using wireless.
Sound auto setup and working OK.

Seems all hardware supported and needed drivers present.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#19 Post by bigpup »

MtPaint>help>Documentation

Not working.
Get error message can not find file it is asking for to use. (sorry, I already changed it, so not exactly sure what it did try to use).

In preferences>Paths>Location of Handbook Index

It needs to be changed to:

/usr/share/doc/mtpaint/index.html
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(39.6 KiB) Downloaded 1474 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#20 Post by bigpup »

Screen saver was on by default.

I suggest you make it off by default.
YaPI(any iso installer)