Porteus vs Fatdog

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
zakjoh

Porteus vs Fatdog

#1 Post by zakjoh »

Was about to report back on my findings on testing Porteus but i can't find the thread?

Daleb

#2 Post by Daleb »

That's a good thing as it's nice and clean to discuss the subject. :)

Report away on your findings , did you try both the slackware and Arch version ??

rokytnji

#3 Post by rokytnji »

I get a topic does not exist. Like it was deleted or something.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... n-IZKXit_Q
Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Porteus vs ...
www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=897834&sid...
7 days ago - 14 posts - ‎7 authors
zakjoh. Joined: 17 Oct 2015. Posts: 18 ... I see that Porteus does a Kiosk version that is only 60mb. Back to top ...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

The original topic was removed because it degenerated into bickering and strife. Nothing useful was there.

zakjoh

#5 Post by zakjoh »

Well that was a complete waste of time as it turns out the Arch Alpha (nemesis) is on hold and they don't know if the Arch version will be resumed any longer.

Apparently the developer is about to release new version of Slackware Porteus and is going to concentrate his time on that instead due work commitments.

So may as well wait for that as the new version will have up to date packages and easy update scripts for the desktop applications.

Pelo

. Now i can save with Porteus boot (Xenialdog)

#6 Post by Pelo »

. Now i can save with Porteus boot (Xenialdog) . Now i like it, because i have been a long time not understanding how to do.
Fatdog is for linux students. I am only a passenger with Linux.

Pelo

Giving a new try for Fatdog /Fatdog64-702.iso

#7 Post by Pelo »

Just to check if i am right or wrong to ignore it some years more.
I will never understand why people choose an OS which is 64 bits, getting 32 bits unavailable.
No trouble with 32 bits for 5 years now running Puppies Medion Akoya 64 bits

on the other and, XenialDog with Porteus boot is approved at home, perhaps Dogs team has more the Puppy Linux spirit than Puppy, nowadays.
Attachments
Stretch.jpg
Grub4Dos multiboot
(72.32 KiB) Downloaded 936 times

quirkian2new

#8 Post by quirkian2new »

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried puppyfying porteus ?

Recently try running a porteus live-cd, feels OK . But...... there seems no such frugal install as puppy/Fatdog/Quirky. I don't want to burn CD as my CD writer seems not working anymore.

Keef

#9 Post by Keef »

quirkian2new

Yes you can do a 'frugal'.
Copy the porteus folder to your HDD. You could copy the boot folder, but simpler to make a new boot folder on the HDD then copy vmliunz and initrd.xz from /boot/syslinux.
Nothing else needed.
My grub4dos entry is:

Code: Select all

title Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE
  uuid  17d33b37-4aaa-49af-8bf7-7ed81c552c4b
  #find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/initrd.xz
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz changes=/porteus/ copy2ram kmap=uk nocd timezone=Europe/London 
  initrd /boot/initrd.xz

Still had to change the keyboard after booting though.

jamesbond

Re: Giving a new try for Fatdog /Fatdog64-702.iso

#10 Post by jamesbond »

I will bite :)
Please don't. Try Fatdog64-710 instead.
Pelo wrote:I will never understand why people choose an OS which is 64 bits, getting 32 bits unavailable.
It's time to let go: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/ne ... ion-option.

Also, if all your machines has 2GB RAM or less, there is indeed no point to go 64-bit.

That being said, even phones from last year (or is it two years ago) has embraced 64-bit. I don't do iphone; but iphones have even deprecated support for 32-bit app.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

belham2

#11 Post by belham2 »

Keef wrote:quirkian2new

Yes you can do a 'frugal'.
Copy the porteus folder to your HDD. You could copy the boot folder, but simpler to make a new boot folder on the HDD then copy vmliunz and initrd.xz from /boot/syslinux.
Nothing else needed.
My grub4dos entry is:

title Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE
  uuid  17d33b37-4aaa-49af-8bf7-7ed81c552c4b
  #find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/initrd.xz
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz changes=/porteus/ copy2ram kmap=uk nocd timezone=Europe/London 
  initrd /boot/initrd.xz

Still had to change the keyboard after booting though.
Hi Keef,

Well, I just tried this on 4 different machines (3 desktops and 1 laptop) and I could not get it to work. I have a 'frugal' install of the latest Porteus that works no problem from the attached USB-IDE Hard drive. It's grub4dos entry is this:

title Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64 (sda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64 changes=/Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64/porteus/
  initrd /Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz 
or this also works:

title Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64 (sda1)
  uuid #######-####-####-########
  kernel /Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64 changes=/Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64/porteus/
  initrd /Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz 

But the moment I change them to what you wrote (in how to run Porteus in RAM), specifically the "changes=/porteus/ copy2ram kmap=uk nocd timezone=Europe/London", without having the "from= before it....Porteus would not boot at all, anywhere on my machines. Booting kept stopping at the dreaded:

Searching for...
..porteus-v3.2-x86_64.sgn file 
bootup message. And the .sgn file is there, staring me in the face, otherwise using my frugal boot method above would not work without it. Then bootup just displays:

Porteus not found.  Maybe you are using an unsupported boot device...blah, blah, blah 
We know this isn't true, otherwise I wouldn't be booting into my Porteus above 'frugally' (the 1st two entries above) and running it with no issues.

Would be curious if anyone else got this "porteus fully booted in RAM' thing to actually work? I went through something similar a few weeks ago with Fred (Ddogs creator) and porteus in RAM just would not work for me on the laptop, but it did easily on the three desktops. So why won't Porteus itself work here?

Anyone else booting Porteus x86_64 v3.2 fully in "RAM" only?????

fredx181

#12 Post by fredx181 »

Belham wrote:But the moment I change them to what you wrote (in how to run Porteus in RAM), specifically the "changes=/porteus/ copy2ram kmap=uk nocd timezone=Europe/London", without having the "from= before it....Porteus would not boot at all, anywhere on my machines. Booting kept stopping at the dreaded:

Code:
Searching for...
I think that's because you don't have the "porteus" folder on the root of the drive, (you placed it in "Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64")
Keef kept "porteus" on the root, only changed the path to initrd.xz and vmlinuz. (then no "from=/..." is required, because "porteus" will be found automatically)

Fred

belham2

#13 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
Belham wrote:But the moment I change them to what you wrote (in how to run Porteus in RAM), specifically the "changes=/porteus/ copy2ram kmap=uk nocd timezone=Europe/London", without having the "from= before it....Porteus would not boot at all, anywhere on my machines. Booting kept stopping at the dreaded:

Code:
Searching for...
I think that's because you don't have the "porteus" folder on the root of the drive, (you placed it in "Porteus-Cinnamon-v3.2.2-X86_64")
Keef kept "porteus" on the root, only changed the path to initrd.xz and vmlinuz. (then no "from=/..." is required, because "porteus" will be found automatically)

Fred
Hi Fred,

Dumb & Dumber time again: I didn't put it on the "root" because I was afraid it might do something to all my other Ddog and Puppy 'frugal' installs. So I gotta put it in or rather on, the "root" directly? Anything else have to go directly on 'root'?? Like the .sgn file??? Or....??? I'll give it a go as long as you promise---PROMISE!!----me that nothing is going to happen to my other ~25 installs there 8)

fredx181

#14 Post by fredx181 »

Belham wrote:Hi Fred,

Dumb & Dumber time again: I didn't put it on the "root" because I was afraid it might do something to all my other Ddog and Puppy 'frugal' installs. So I gotta put it in or rather on, the "root" directly? Anything else have to go directly on 'root'?? Like the .sgn file??? Or....??? I'll give it a go as long as you promise---PROMISE!!----me that nothing is going to happen to my other ~25 installs there Cool
It's not that you gotta put it on the root, I was just trying to explain why Keef's example didn't work for you. The menu.lst entries you showed work, so not a problem, right?
But if you put "porteus" on the root of the partition, and you have other porteus install (with also "porteus" on the root of another partition), then, only then, it may conflict with each other.
The DDog or Puppy installs have no "porteus" folder, so no danger.

Fred

quirkian2new

#15 Post by quirkian2new »

hello keef and belham2,

looking into the contents of the iso downloaded, i can't find any initrd.xz or initrd.gz or initrd at all.

only able to find vmlinuz and porteus.sgn in /porteus folder and the following files in the /porteus/base folder. So where am i going to start. seems porteus frugal is much much much more difficult for an average puppy user.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Screenshot(1).jpg
(40.75 KiB) Downloaded 727 times

CatDude

#16 Post by CatDude »

Hello quirkian2new

This is what i see inside of the copy of: Porteus-XFCE-v3.2.2-x86_64.iso
that i have here.

CatDude
Attachments
Porteus-XFCE-v3.2.2-x86_64.iso.png
(108.07 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Keef

#17 Post by Keef »

quirkian2new

Catdude has made it very clear, but I did say look in /boot/syslinux.

quirkian2new

#18 Post by quirkian2new »

Hi,

I found a 32bit version porteus which is very very ram efficient. This version is very similar to puppy and it is all running as root.

download location link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6grn ... ThiSEhGV28

System automatically login as root (root's password is "toor" )

Each xzm file is mounted individually and very very little ram is used.

This distro seems to be created by an Asian. To change locale to English, have to edit /etc/profile.d/lang.sh and /etc/profile.d/lang.csh (these 2 files are contained within 04-locale.xzm)

If you dont want to burn CD, just copy the entire folder "porteus" within the iso file to your any root directory of your any partition and then modify your menu.lst as below(replace "hd0,1" with appropriate number where your porteus folder resides ) :

title BOOT Porteus32
root (hd0,1)
kernel /porteus/vmlinuz
initrd /porteus/initrd.xz

According to my observation, This distro saves you an old computer which would otherwise be thrown away as rubbish.

One main feature of this iso file is that, when burn to CD or write to USB, it is able to boot uefi machine. I have successfully boot two different uefi machines (one of which cannot be boot by any version of Fatdog64).

Happy Linuxing

quirkian2new

#19 Post by quirkian2new »

Downloaded the iso from the link in the above post, playing for a while, then did some desktop dressing and change it into english.

Fatdog64 will still be my primary OS, will also continue playing porteus as another funny toy.

steps to change it into english:

- using isomaster (or ultraiso under wine) and open the iso downloaded
- delete 04-locale-cn.xzm within the iso (under the /porteus/base folder of the iso)
- delete 06-fcitx.xzm (under the /porteus/base folder of the iso)
- delete 003-openbox.xzm (under the /porteus/base folder of the iso), and replace with my modified 003-openbox_eng.xzm
(actually i just change it into english, nothing else).
- save the modified iso

here is the download link to my modified "003-openbox_eng.xzm"

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8x4w5maoxa6o5/

Happy linuxing !
Attachments
ss1.jpg
(53.09 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Last edited by quirkian2new on Tue 04 Dec 2018, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

quirkian2new

porteus32

#20 Post by quirkian2new »

Very funny toy indeed, have collected some additional 32bit xzm modules and placed them in the shared folder( four xzm zipped into a single 7z file which includes libreoffice, xvidcap, uextract and also packit) so that ordinary daily needs be met.

Want to change kernel, just go to the official or mirror porteus website, download these 2 files and then replace the existing 2 files with the same name and then reboot.

http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/porteus/i586/ ... .8/vmlinuz
http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/porteus/i586/ ... kernel.xzm

Boot up directly and running as root. Running totally in ram with kernel option "copy2ram noauto".

There is also a file manager right click option "dir2xzm" that one can easily create your own xzm modules

Not want to confuse with your other porteus copies, you can use the kernel option "from=" as :

title BOOT Porteus32 Root mode
root (hd0,0)
kernel /porteus32/porteus/vmlinuz from=/porteus32 copy2ram noauto
initrd /porteus32/porteus/initrd.xz

Happy linuxing !
Attachments
ss2.jpg
(122.43 KiB) Downloaded 283 times