EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ally

#261 Post by ally »

Gyle

devx-8.3-xerus64.pet download

#262 Post by Gyle »

ally, thanks again, but: "download error" !
My bad machine...

ally

#263 Post by ally »

try from terminal

Code: Select all

wget http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Devx/devx-8.3-xerus64.pet
see if that works

:)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#264 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:Barry or all,

Can anyone answer the question posted here?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=225

Also, a very crazy question: excluding 'frugal' installing Easy, which I've given up upon because of Container issues, is it possible (if you've fully installed Easy to a USB thumbdrive) to then run Easy (from that thumbdriv) completely in RAM? Say, using the grub4dos entry of "pfix=ram"? Or is running fully in RAM not possible given how Easy is structured and such?

Thank you for any help/answers.
You mean, so that nothing at all gets saved? So, you will bootup each time a pristine system.

Easy has a read-write layer which is a folder in the working partition (see /mnt/wkg/.session), so everything is automatically saved.

However, you can wipe it at every bootup, with the boot parameter "qfix=bak".

That will give you the same effect as running totally in RAM.

Actually, it is on my to-do list for 0.6, to tweak that "qfix=bak" a bit.
So that it doesn't roll right back to a first-bootup situation, but to last saved session.

In other words, setup your internet etc, save the session, then if you have "qfix=bak" it will just roll back to that saved session.
So, almost-pristine, but with your basic configurations so don't have to setup Internet etc at every bootup.
Ok, done. Will be in 0.6.

If you setup Internet, etc., then go to menu:

Filesystem -> Easy Version Control

and save the session.

Edit syslinux.conf (or refind.conf in upcoming 0.6) to have the boot parameter "qfix=bak", and that's it, a clean system at every bootup.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Easy OS 0.5

#265 Post by BarryK »

lp-dolittle wrote:thank you Mr. Kauler for the Easy OS 0.5 release

running it from a pen drive on a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop (4GB RAM; Intel graphics chip), I'm impressed with the improvements since Easy OS-version 0.2, yet the previously reported keyboard setting issue is still present. The Swiss German layout only can be chosen via the XKB configuration manager, and is spontaneously reset after each restart of X. Remarkably, the setting only works if the choice 'ch Switzerland' is confirmed at least twice!! The same issue is present in Quirky Xerus64 8.3 final.
Furthermore, I notice ongoing frequent intermittent flickering of the pen drive even if Easy OS 0.5 actually is 'idle', i.e. if I'm not running a specific program. What about this pen drive activity; the drive was prepared according to the new EasyDD-instructions? Does it indicate, that Easy OS preferably should be installed on an internal hard drive? Does this permanent activity affect the pen drives durability?

kind regards
I have added that keyboard issue to the to-do list.

Regarding the pen drive activity, can you tell me the value of variable QSFS_PATH in file /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE

... that will tell me if q.sfs got loaded into RAM, or is mounted from the pen drive.

if the former, QSFS_PATH=/mnt/q_ro
If the latter, QSFS_PATH will be to wherever q.sfs is on the pen drive.

If q.sfs is left on the pen drive, mounted from there, that could account for extra drive activity.

Otherwise, an app could be doing it. /var and /tmp are tmpfs filesystems (in RAM), so writes to those won't cause pen drive activity.

Read/writes from/to /root will.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: syslinux.cfg needs revision

#266 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:I tracked down the spelling error 'Filsystem check'

The reason why Barry couldn't see the problem was because he uses UEFI computers now.

I use an older IBM computer that uses syslinux and the text is
located in syslinux.cfg .
A simple change should be all that is needed.
Here's the old version....

ui menu.c32

menu title Easy OS
default normal
timeout 100

label normal
menu label Normal startup
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.q rw

label fsck
menu label Filsystem check
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.q rw qfix=fsck

label nox
menu label Commandline only, do not start X
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.q rw qfix=nox

label bak
menu label Rollback (delete read-write layer)
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.q rw qfix=bak
Ah, great, thanks for going to that trouble, to track that one down.

I will fix it.

belham2

#267 Post by belham2 »

BarryK wrote:
BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:Barry or all,

Can anyone answer the question posted here?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=225

Also, a very crazy question: excluding 'frugal' installing Easy, which I've given up upon because of Container issues, is it possible (if you've fully installed Easy to a USB thumbdrive) to then run Easy (from that thumbdriv) completely in RAM? Say, using the grub4dos entry of "pfix=ram"? Or is running fully in RAM not possible given how Easy is structured and such?

Thank you for any help/answers.
You mean, so that nothing at all gets saved? So, you will bootup each time a pristine system.

Easy has a read-write layer which is a folder in the working partition (see /mnt/wkg/.session), so everything is automatically saved.

So that it doesn't roll right back to a first-bootup situation, but to last saved session.

In other words, setup your internet etc, save the session, then if you have "qfix=bak" it will just roll back to that saved session.
So, almost-pristine, but with your basic configurations so don't have to setup Internet etc at every bootup.

and save the session.

Edit syslinux.conf (or refind.conf in upcoming 0.6) to have the boot parameter "qfix=bak", and that's it, a clean system at every bootup.

Gracias, Barry! This actually moves Easy up to another notch in the 'wowzers' department, if you ask me :wink:

lp-dolittle

#268 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

the value of variable QSFS_PATH is: QSFS_PATH=' /mnt/q_ro '

So, as far as I can understand, q.sfs should be loaded into RAM, and the variable QSFS_PATH cannot explain the pen drive activity.

For good measure, I send to you a screenshot

Tank you for paying attention also to the keyboard (Intel graphics chip) issue

kind regards
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(84.34 KiB) Downloaded 165 times

lp-dolittle

Swiss German keyboard layout issue

#269 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ L18L

thank you for your help!

Not familiar with the meaning of 'Sango', I, so far, did not chose this option. Tried now, but this variant also needs additional fine tuning via the XKB configuration manager, and the main problem - the reset of the keyboard layout during every restart of X - remains.

Please, keep in view that this issue obviously is related to the Intel graphics chipset, as reported in previous posts

kind regards

belham2

#270 Post by belham2 »

belham2 wrote:
BarryK wrote:
BarryK wrote: You mean, so that nothing at all gets saved? So, you will bootup each time a pristine system.

and save the session.

Gracias, Barry! This actually moves Easy up to another notch in the 'wowzers' department, if you ask me :wink:

Hi Barry,

Am I misunderstanding 'qfix=bak'?

On my full-Easy-0.5 install to a 16GB USB SDHC card, I did exactly like you wrote. Set my Internet (again). I used Easy Version Control, and saved the session. Plus, also saved both the default Containers for Seamonkey and urxvt. I then added "qfix=bak" boot parameter to the 'normal startup' in the syslinux.cfg file on partition sda1.

I rebooted. Let Easy automatically use the new "normal" boot entry with the qfix=bak boot parameter.

And, nothing from the 'bak' (all my browser settings, jwm tray settings, little programs added like redshiftgui) were loaded up. Isn't the whole idea of running in RAM-only is so a person can unplug their USB SDHC card, and be double safe (Containers being first line of defense) when on the Internet in not worrying about wherever they go and do? Easy 0.5 with 'qfix=bak' is still mounting & locking sda2 :!:

I figure I must not be understanding this...sorry :cry:

Here's the pics, if they help:
Attachments
Easy-0.5-qfix=bak-setup.png
(222.81 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Despite-qfix=bak-sda2-still-unmountable.png
(88.58 KiB) Downloaded 352 times

lp-dolittle

qfix=bak

#271 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ belham2

if I'm not totally wrong ...... according to your pictures sda2 in NOT UNMOUNTABLE ...... in contrast, it cannot be UNMOUNTED because it is busy

lp-dolittle

#272 Post by lp-dolittle »

again @ belham2

sorry for again interfering and possibly confusing!

Do you perhaps 'wrongly' expect your SD-card could work like an Easy OS iso live CD after choosing the qfix=bak option

kind regards

belham2

#273 Post by belham2 »

lp-dolittle wrote:again @ belham2

sorry for again interfering and possibly confusing!

Do you perhaps 'wrongly' expect your SD-card could work like an Easy OS iso live CD after choosing the qfix=bak option

kind regards
Hi lp-dolittle,

My original question to Barry is was or is it possible to run Easy "completely" in RAM, like we do with our puppies when we boot them with "pfix=ram".

When we do this, everything (except the savefile) is loaded into RAM, and the device used to boot the puppy is unplugged because it is not needed. So, many of us remaster our Puppies with all of our personal changes & additions, so that there is no savefile and when we boot "pfix=ram", our stuff is there in RAM.

When things boot in RAM only, nothing is mounted---thus you can safely unplug your USB stick or hard drive or whatever, and the operating system still keeps functioning as normal. This is a massive safety and security posture, and many of us do it with our puppies.

Thus, my question was is this possible with an Easy USB installation (just like the puppies)?

When I saw Barry wrote that "yes", if the qfix=ram is set in syslinux.cfg, then Easy will be loaded in RAM, I assumed it would be just like the puppies. To my chagrin, I must have misunderstood, for despite setting "qfix=ram", Easy does not load completely in RAM and instead still locks & mounts your SDA2 partition. In this form, it is worthless to me.

Thus, I am awaiting Barry's explanation and thinking/meaning behind his "qfix=ram" implementation.

Hope this explains every thing in what I am looking for.

lp-dolittle

#274 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ belham2

Thank you belham2 for your explanation.

I think I precisely can understand your aim, and I know the advantages of an OS which completely can run in RAM. At the same time, I doubt that Easy OS is designed for this purpose.
Barry's recent comments first of all seem to relate to the roll back option, and to the option to reboot each time exactly the same 'installation'. He speaks of 'the same effect as running totally in RAM'. You, in contrast, mainly seem to focus on the security aspect.

for sure, you will get the relevant answer from Barry

kind regards

BarryK
Puppy Master

#275 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote:
BarryK wrote:
BarryK wrote: You mean, so that nothing at all gets saved? So, you will bootup each time a pristine system.

and save the session.

Regarding your later posts, you are confused because you are not reading my posts properly. or rather, misunderstanding the words "same effect as". It needs to be understood in context with the text that I made bold (see above).

So, Easy does not run in RAM.

I also stated that this will be implemented properly in version 0.6, which means NOT YET.

In 0.5, the entire .session folder is wiped with "qfix=bak", which takes you back to a first-bootup situation.

So, no, you cannot bootup and then unplug the usb stick.

I could implement such a thing, but have no compelling reason to do so.

L18L

Re: Swiss German keyboard layout issue

#276 Post by L18L »

lp-dolittle wrote:Not familiar with the meaning of 'Sango',
Me. too. :D
For me (and for Fatdog), sg means swiss german.
Tried now, but this variant also needs additional fine tuning via the XKB configuration manager
That means it is faulty.
Fatdog's sg keyboard layout seems to work.
but it is you who can definitively say Fatdog's is OK or not.

lp-dolittle

keyboard layout issue

#277 Post by lp-dolittle »

Hi L18L

Thanks for your response!

As I meanwhile realised, the integrated Intel graphics controller of the Dell Latitude E6500 Laptop, in fact, not only seems to cause the keyboard layout setting issue, but ALSO prevents the OS (Quirky Xerus64-8.3 or Easy OS versions 0.2 - 0.5) from spontaneously accepting already existing refined settings when X is restarted or when the OS is booted again!!
This supposition is backed by the experience that my Easy OS 0.5 pen drive, after a finally successful keyboard layout setting on the Dell LatitudeE6500, correctly boots - keeping the wanted keyboard layout - on PCs with NVIDIA graphics ....., yet does not so when I first tried a reboot on the Dell LatitudeE6500!!!

Moreover, the Swiss German layout obviously is only one among others that cannot be set easily. As reported by forum member ottod (Quirky Xerus 8.3 blog from 01.08.2017), the latam layout also does not work.

Details of the Dell LatitudeE6500 graphics controller can be seen from the attached screenshot

kind regards
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(173.79 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

L18L

Re: keyboard layout issue

#278 Post by L18L »

lp-dolittle wrote:Details of the Dell LatitudeE6500 graphics controller can be seen from the attached screenshot
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Latitude-E6500-Notebook.11958.0.html wrote:The built in Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M HD or a twice as fast and electrical power hungry dedicated NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M graphic card takes care of graphic needs. The customer must again choose between low priced basic equipment and an upgrade, more efficient but for a surcharge . The built in 4500M HD graphic chip fulfills all daily demands, such as classic office usage, internet and video (even HD).
and
http://www.dell.com/support/home/de/de/debsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverid=R304345&lwp=rt wrote:Intel GM45/GE45/GS45 Integrated Graphics Driver
This package provides the Intel GM45/GE45/GS45 Integrated Graphics Driver and is supported on Latitude E5400/E6400/E4200/XFR E6400/E6400 ATG/E6500/E4300/E5500 that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: Vista and Windows 7.
tell me that you should try to use kernel driver module gma500_gfx instead of i915.
Something like

insmod gma500_gfx && rmmod i915
and restartx.

Good luck!

lp-dolittle

Intel graphics controller

#279 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ L18L

very much appreciating your help, I can understand the diagnosis. Alas, my layman knowledge is too poor to successfully manipulate kernel modules!

Thank you so much, anyway!!

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Swiss German keyboard layout issue

#280 Post by BarryK »

lp-dolittle wrote:@ L18L

thank you for your help!

Not familiar with the meaning of 'Sango', I, so far, did not chose this option. Tried now, but this variant also needs additional fine tuning via the XKB configuration manager, and the main problem - the reset of the keyboard layout during every restart of X - remains.

Please, keep in view that this issue obviously is related to the Intel graphics chipset, as reported in previous posts

kind regards
Ah, I see the problem. There is an "Apply now" button. Below that is the text "...else they will apply when you restart X"

The should be "after you reboot". I will fix that text.