Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

#941 Post by rerwin »

Walter Dnes wrote:@rerwin can you apply additional CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS when you do the Puppy build? I'm thinking specifically of "-fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables".
I don't actually "build" lucid puppy, just a set of updates and remasters. I have not gotten into real puppy builds.

But one thing I have been lazy about is "trimming the fat" from deb installations. It just seems that it doesn't gain much space, for the effort involved. My process involves downloading the new debs and installing them with a script. So the PPM trim-the-fat option is not available. But I could add a script to my process to accomplish at least some of the trimming.
R

Walter Dnes

#942 Post by Walter Dnes »

keniv wrote:I was able to download and install palemoon using the installer but it will not run from the menu. I tried running it from a terminal but the output was illegal action.
Was that actually something like "illegal opcode" or "illegal instruction"? The mainline Pale Moon build requires at least a Pentium 4 cpu to run on; older cpus error out. Can you post the output of the following command from a terminal...

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo
If you're running a Pentium 3 class cpu, there are a couple of alternate builds available. I do an SSE "contributed build" of Pale Moon for Pentium3 class machines. Because it's not the mainline build, it has to be downloaded and installed manually. The current version and URL are listed at or near the end of the thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530 The current download URL is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE- ... 86.tar.bz2 The install instructions are in the first post of that thread... the following works if you only have 1 Pale Moon tarball in your current directory. Otherwise, you have to spell out the specific name.. The first time you install Pale Moon...

mkdir $HOME/pm
tar -C $HOME/pm -xvjf palemoon*.bz2
Point your program launcher at "$HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon". To upgrade to future versions...
  • make sure you've downloaded the tarball first
    killall palemoon (from a terminal)
    blow away the older pm/palemoon directory
    tar -C $HOME/pm -xvjf palemoon*.bz2 (from a terminal)
Steven Pusser also does "nonsse2" Pale Moon builds for Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, 16.10, 17.04, Debian 7, 8, 9. See near the end of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11466 Maybe @rerwin could repackage the "nonsse2" .deb for Puppy

TwoPuppies

#943 Post by TwoPuppies »

rerwin wrote:
DESCRIPTION: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 0046
Was there no line showing the kernel module for it?
Do you mean like in the similar material in the post by sheldonisaac? No, there was nothing else. I posted everything that was there.
rerwin also wrote:Could you still get me a pdiag file after starting a fresh ('pfix=ram,nox' or pupsave 0) lupu bootup to the black screen, entering xorgwizard, choosing i915, testing it and starting xwin? If that fails, without rebooting, use xorgwizard to use xvesa...
No, sorry, that does not work. The only way that I am able to successfully reach the desktop is to manually select the Versa driver (resulting in a resolution of 1024x768). See below for more details.

The following alternative methods all fail to work:
(A) Allow the computer to boot up without any intervention on my part.
(B) Boot up using pfix=ram,nox, run xorgwizard, select Probe, and then choose any of the available options.
(C) Proceed as for method (B), but select Choose instead of Probe in Xorgwizard, then select any specific driver, and subsequently continue from Probe again.

All of the above methods ultimately result in a black screen, and then the computer just hangs and will do nothing else. The only was to get out of it is to kill the power and start again. I understand that you require test results after the Black Screen has occurred, but the problem is that once I reach the black screen, nothing else is possible.
rerwin also wrote:...use xorgwizard to use xvesa (however you have been doing that -- the xvesa button or 'choose' selection -- tell me which).
Here, in detail, is the only method that succeeds:
1. Boot the computer using the boot parameter pfix=ram,nox. (I don't know if "ram" here is strictly necessary, but I have other Lucid Frugal installations on the Hard-Drive, so I use it just in case.)
2. Keyboard choice (choose default US keyboard, then click OK).
3. At the command prompt, type xorgwizard, then press Enter. (For some reason, step 3 then needs to be repeated before anything happens.)
4. Xorgwizard opens.
5. Choose Versa. (Selecting Probe or Choose eventually lead to the Black Screen.)
6. Choose a Monitor type.
7. Choose a Video mode.
8. OK (to apply the selected settings).
9. Back at the command prompt again, type xwin (press Enter)

This the takes me to the Desktop, with a display resolution of 1024x768.
Back in Steps 6 & 7, choosing a lower resolution applies the chosen resolution, whereas choosing any higher resolution (such as the correct 1366x768) just defaults back to 1024x768.
rerwin also wrote:Could you still get me a pdiag file after starting a fresh ('pfix=ram,nox' or pupsave 0) lupu bootup to the black screen...
So, given that I can do nothing more once I am at the Black Screen, do you still want me to provide you with a pdiag file after successfully booting up using the described Versa method, or is that of no use to you?

Edit:
rerwin also wrote:bootup to the black screen, entering xorgwizard, choosing i915, testing it and starting xwin
As I have already explained, this is not possible, but you say to choose the i915 driver. I have just noticed that there is no i915 on the list. Does that have any bearing on why things are not working?
[color=#006699]What you really need is two puppies:
Puppy Linux, and the sort with four legs and a tail.[/color]

rerwin

#944 Post by rerwin »

I seem to be asking the impossible, to get a pdiag if you cannot get to the desktop. Just get one when you get to the desktop using your vesa technique.

The absence of i915 as the kernel driver concerns me. Try booting with pfix=nox and then type: lsmod
Does i915 show in the list?

If it does, then the intel xorg driver would be the one to choose in xorgwizard. (I was confused about the xorg driver being i915.)

Also, since you have multiple frugal lucid pups, does that mean there are multiple versions of the lupu_528.sfs files (in different directories)? If so, you need to rename all but the 2017 version, so that we are sure you are using the lupu you think you are. I rename the ones I don't want active, to Xlupu_528.sfs.

TwoPuppies

#945 Post by TwoPuppies »

rerwin wrote:Just get one when you get to the desktop using your vesa technique.
OK. Done. I will PM that to you.
...and also wrote:Try booting with pfix=nox and then type: lsmod. Does i915 show in the list?
No.
...and also wrote:Also, since you have multiple frugal lucid pups, does that mean there are multiple versions of the lupu_528.sfs files (in different directories)?
Yep.
...and also wrote:If so, you need to rename all but the 2017 version, so that we are sure you are using the lupu you think you are.
OK. Did that. But it made no difference to the results.
[color=#006699]What you really need is two puppies:
Puppy Linux, and the sort with four legs and a tail.[/color]

keniv

#946 Post by keniv »

rerwin wrote:
I am surprised that palemoon fails for you. Please copy the last few lines of /tmp/xerrs.log (into a reply), which should have any error messages about it.
Here are the last few lines from /tmp/xerrs.log.

** (roxterm:9246): WARNING **: Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

** (roxterm:10234): WARNING **: Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
/usr/local/bin/palemoon: line 32: 18489 Illegal instruction     /opt/palemoon/palemoon "$@"
I've also added the outputs from a terminal as I tried to start it a number of ways.

/opt/palemoon/palemoon
Illegal instruction

/usr/local/bin/palemoon: line 32: 13284 Illegal instruction     /opt/palemoon/palemoon "$@"
Script completed hit RETURN to close window.

/usr/local/bin/palemoon.sh: line 32: 16043 Illegal instruction     /opt/palemoon/palemoon "$@"
Script completed hit RETURN to close window.
Walter Dnes has suggested a reason for palemoon not working for me (see below)

Thanks for continuing to work on netsurf.

@Walter Dnes
My processor is a Pentium III copermine so based on what you said in your post this is a least one of my problems.
Here is the output from cat /proc/cpuinfo

vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping	: 6
cpu MHz		: 795.996
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
bogomips	: 1591.99
clflush size	: 32
cache_alignment	: 32
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:
I'll try your version of palemoon though I think I may need help. The first question I have is do I have to manually uninstall the existing installation of palemoon manually as it does not appear in PPM?
Thanks to both for your help.

Regards,

Ken.

watchdog

#947 Post by watchdog »

@keniv

You should install the sse palemoon 27.5.0 built by Walter Dnes. I have uploaded a pet package which does not interfere with standard palemoon install of palemoon in current lucid 2017 beta. You can find a menu entry for it in Menu-Internet. I propose it for your testing. palemoon-27.5.0-lucid-sse.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

keniv

#948 Post by keniv »

watchdog wrote:

You should install the sse palemoon 27.5.0 built by Walter Dnes.
Hello All,
I now have the above installed and I'm posting from it. It seems a bit faster then seamonkey and is definately usable on this machine. I do have a small problem when I first launch it. It opens to the page shown in image-1. In image-2 you can see it's set up to open DuckDuckGo Lite. If I click "Home" it opens at this page and works normally. Is this a timing thing? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(11.51 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
image-1.jpg
(22.82 KiB) Downloaded 504 times

Walter Dnes

#949 Post by Walter Dnes »

keniv wrote:Hello All,
I now have the above installed and I'm posting from it.
Some variant of "Murphy's Law" probably covers this. Now that you've got 27.5.0 installed, version 27.5.1 has just come out. There is a specific Pale Moon thread on this forum. Check near the end of thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 501#970501

The Pale Moon forum support thread for the SSE version is https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530 Check the end of that thread. The support sub-forum for the mainline linux Pale Moon version is https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=37

Can the .pet maintainers make a script that checks the version number on the Pale Moon site and updates the install if a newer version is available?

Walter Dnes

#950 Post by Walter Dnes »

keniv wrote:I do have a small problem when I first launch it. It opens to the page shown in image-1. In image-2 you can see it's set up to open DuckDuckGo Lite. If I click "Home" it opens at this page and works normally. Is this a timing thing? Is there anything I can do to fix it?
Please go to the Pale Moon menu

Edit ==> Preferences ==> General

and check if the homepage URL is spelled properly. By the way, you can open multiple tabs via the "homepage" entry. I have a profile for this forum. The homepage entry is...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/ | http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461 | http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93807

...all as one long line, with "pipe" symbol as the separators. You can mix-n-match http/https/ftp and/or any valid URL in your list.

rerwin

#951 Post by rerwin »

TwoPuppies,
Thanks for the pdiag. It confirms the absence of a driver for your VGA card implied by the pupscan item with no associated kernel module.

I have a netbook that uses i915 even though it is not in the list of "aliases" that associate hardware with drivers. Pups using kernel 3.x, like the sulus, have kernel drivers that specify the hardware they support. You see that if you enter "modinfo i915". But in the 2.6.x kernels used by lupu, 3HD and wary, modinfo does not show that. So there must be another way that associates hardware and driver. That "way" does not seem to detect your VGA card, but it does find mine.

What is not obvious to me is what driver is running the VGA card if i915 is absent.

It would be good to know if anyone has success with your card -- hardware ID 8086:0046 -- in lupu.

Assuming it fails consistently, I can think of a way to work around that problem, using a udev rule as I did with some analog modems some years ago. I would need someone to test it with lupu, if anyone has time for that.

For now, I think we just have to live with that limitation of lupu, for those not using the super lucids.

watchdog

#952 Post by watchdog »

keniv wrote: I do have a small problem when I first launch it. It opens to the page shown in image-1. In image-2 you can see it's set up to open DuckDuckGo Lite. If I click "Home" it opens at this page and works normally. Is this a timing thing? Is there anything I can do to fix it?
Try to launch palemoon sse in console with:

palemoon-sse
If that works edit /usr/share/applications/palemoon-sse.desktop and delete in the exec line "$@".
You can simply update your palemoon-sse by extracting the content of the Walter Dnes' tarball in /usr/local. You can download the tar ball from:

ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/

Click on the tarball, select all and extract to /usr/local.
Last edited by watchdog on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 04:05, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#953 Post by watchdog »

Walter Dnes wrote: Can the .pet maintainers make a script that checks the version number on the Pale Moon site and updates the install if a newer version is available?
I have not so many scripting skills. It's a rerwin's job. He did it for the mainline sse2 palemoon in lucid.

keniv

#954 Post by keniv »

Hello All
Walter Dnes wrote:
Some variant of "Murphy's Law" probably covers this. Now that you've got 27.5.0 installed, version 27.5.1 has just come out.
Just my luck but the instructions for updating seem OK so I'll give it a go. Thanks for the links.
By the way, you can open multiple tabs via the "homepage" entry. I have a profile for this forum.
I did not know this. Just shows what you don't know. It looks useful.
watchdog wrote: Try to launch palemoon sse in console with:

Code:
palemoon-sse

If that works edit /usr/share/applications/palemoon-sse.desktop and delete in the exec line "$@".
This worked fine and removed the problem.
You can simply update your palemoon-sse by extracting the content of the Walter Dnes' tarball in /usr/local.
Thank you gentlemen for your team effort I have followed the instructions and palemoon is now updated (see image-3). I have removed seamonkey 2.46 as it really was too slow on my hardware. Thanks again for the help with this.

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
image-3.jpg
(40.04 KiB) Downloaded 448 times

keniv

#955 Post by keniv »

Hello all,
Forum member OscarTalks has posted a pet for Netsurf 3.7 here.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111846

I tried the version for Wheezy which he says "should work in several other Puppies" Unfortunately I get a similar result as I did with Netsurf 3.6. Still it was worth a try.

Regards,

Ken.

OscarTalks

#956 Post by OscarTalks »

Wheezy has glibc 2.13 so there is a chance that NetSurf compiled in it will work in Puppies with that version or later eg Precise and Tahr.

Lucid has glibc 2.11 which is older.
I seem to recall that in the past I was able to compile NetSurf 3.6 in Lucid. It did build and it did run, but there was something not quite right with the rendering. Letters and characters seemed cluttered over each other. (Same thing happened in Wary 5.5 which has glibc 2.10). I think something else to do with fonts or images is too old in Lucid but I never solved it so didn't post the package. If someone wants to experiment in Lucid, maybe updating some other libraries or something it might be possible to get it going, but it is one of those things that requires time with no guarantee of success.
NetSurf is quite nice for what it is, but it is not a "fully featured" browser.
Oscar in England

keniv

#957 Post by keniv »

@Oscar Talks,
I tried Netsurf 3.6 in this updated version of lucid which now has glibc 2.19 but it did not work. I am afraid I don't have the skills it takes to get it working. I thought it was worth trying your netsurf 3.7 pet in the hope it might work. I have used netsurf before and know it has its limitations but is very fast on my rather limited hardware.

Regards,

Ken.

watchdog

#958 Post by watchdog »

Rerwin did not go to a general glibc upgrade to 2.19 of tahr version. It's only a tweak for making working some packages. I'll try to make work netsurf by OscarTalks in lucid.

rerwin

#959 Post by rerwin »

FWIW:
A few days ago I experimented with making a wrapper for netsurf in lupu. When testing, I saw these messages in xerrs.log after netsurf did not start:

netsurf: /lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by netsurf)
netsurf: /lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by netsurf)
netsurf: /usr/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
netsurf: /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
netsurf: symbol lookup error: netsurf: undefined symbol: g_static_resource_init
With the attached package, you can start netsurf from a console with: /usr/local/bin/netsurf or simply, netsurf.sh.

EDIT: I see that I left out some links I added to resolve the lib... problem. This package adds them. I also added a desktop file so that the netsurf menu entry goes to netsurf.sh. So, before installing the package, rename any netsurf.desktop you might have installed, to preserve it.
Attachments
glibc219-netsurf_wrapper-20171019.pet
Experimental lupu wrapper for netsurf, with library links
(182.92 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 19 Oct 2017, 14:36, edited 3 times in total.

OscarTalks

#960 Post by OscarTalks »

I have compiled NetSurf 3.7 in Lucid
It does start and run, the rendering looks better than 3.6 did (from what I remember).
It does throw some GLib-GObject warnings in terminal but these are not fatal.
To eliminate these you might have to try to upgrade glib (not glibc) but I don't fancy doing that and it may not be necessary.
Obviously you need ca-certificates installed for many common websites.
I will upload the .pet for now in case anyone wants to EXPERIMENT with it.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England