Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 11:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 39 of 40 [586 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40 Next
Gobbi

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct 2017, 14:29    Post subject: Re: Questions about QEMU  

Wognath wrote:
... Finally, a suggestion: Advanced/Other parameters -drive file=/dev/sdc is useful to get files into the VM. ...

Using and testing Wognath's suggestion I added to a Qemu VM in Advanced Settings -> Other parameters : -drive file=/tmp/imagefile.img .
I previously created with a script ( one can use the terminal instead ) the /tmp/imagefile.img , using the two lines suggested by step :
step wrote:
# dd bs=512 count=2880 if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/imagefile.img
# mkfs.msdos /tmp/imagefile.img

I only used mkfs.ext4 instead of mkfs,msdos and made it bigger with count=2048000 .
Once I booted an ISO with the Virtual Machine (Racy , Carolina ,TahrPup) there appeared a new drive sda which can be used to pass files by the Guest system .
From the Host , it can be accessed using in terminal the command :
step wrote:
# filemnt /tmp/imagefile.img

Thank you step and Wognath for the tips Exclamation
It is wise to use this virtual drive one at a time by the Host or the Guest system . Modifing a text file with the virtual drive accesed by both Guest and Host turned that file into a corrupt one ...

Last edited by Gobbi on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 15:28; edited 1 time in total
step

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct 2017, 17:00    Post subject:  

Thank you, Gobbi, for sharing your findings.

Samba is another way to share files between the host and the guest VM. For simplicity, I'm going to assume that host and guest are both Fatdog64-710 systems.

Host

Start control panel, select the System tab, then Manage Server and Services and double-click it. The Service Manager window opens. Scroll down to the samba entry, select it and click the Start button. You've just started the samba file sharing server. By default, it shares folder /root/spot/Downloads. This is controlled in /etc/samba/smb.conf. If you change the shared path you need to restart the samba server from the Service Manager window.

Guest (QEMU)

Start control panel, select the Utilities tab, then YASSM Samba share search and double-click it. The YASSM share searcher window opens. You should see an entry field with qemu@HOSTNAME (your guest PC hostname) in it. You don't want that, not now. Enter "shares@HOSTNAME" (without quotes) instead and click Select. A login window opens. Enter "root" for Username, delete the Password, blank it out, enter "shares" for Share and "HOSTNAME" for Server, click Mount. A network share folder should open in rox. It should be the guest's Download folder.

QEMU can also do the sharing all by itself, with no need to run samba on the host. So, skip the steps for the Host above, and repeat the steps for the Guest. When you get to the part where you enter the Share, enter "qemu@10.0.2.4" and continue as before. A rox window on the host's /root folder should open.

When you're done don't forget to click Unmount in the YASSM windows.

slackfan

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 06:47    Post subject:  

Hi

I did look at this page http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=801845#801845 and mis some of my usual app's.

what would you recommend to do in such case?
step

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 08:16    Post subject:  

I would recommend in order:
1. Read the entire thread you linked looking for such packages
2. If not found and if you have the skills compile the package yourself - ask questions if you get stuck
3. If you don't have the skills, post a request if someone would kindly compile the package for you.

Another option is AppImages (search the forum). More and more applications can be downloaded as AppImages from their websites, and they may work in Fatdog64.

Also, Smokey01's Puppy Newletter (search the forum) has a section on compiling programs. It's explained in very simple terms and may be a starting point.

chiron²

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 11:25    Post subject: Scanner-share 1.4 adapted for FD 710  

I fixed a small issue in the scanner-share script which prevented it from running in my FD 710. The script did not detect the ip adress, and thus would not find the sane server. Adapted one line in the script and now it works. Rename attachment to .txz for FD 710. Actually, should work in all other puppies, too. As long as sane is included.

EDIT: The script lets you share a scanner that is attached to your computer over the network, and gives access to a shared scanner. It uses the sane backend to do so. Very practical if you have an ancient SCSI scanner, and want to use it with a laptop. Script works in 64bit and 32bit alike.
scanner_share-1.4-x86_64.PET
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  scanner_share-1.4-x86_64.PET 
Filesize  1.86 KB 
Downloaded  14 Time(s) 
slackfan

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 15:29    Post subject:  

step wrote:
2. If not found and if you have the skills compile the package yourself - ask questions if you get stuck
3. If you don't have the skills, post a request if someone would kindly compile the package for you.

Another option is AppImages (search the forum). More and more applications can be downloaded as AppImages from their websites, and they may work in Fatdog64.

Also, Smokey01's Puppy Newletter (search the forum) has a section on compiling programs. It's explained in very simple terms and may be a starting point.

Hi Step, thank you very much for your help.

I see, you are personally very active creator of packages for FatDog64. Thank you very much (also in the name of other users; we, users, are all dependent of such people, often named freaks, being able to do more than use: create new figures! I hope, you, all those creators, have also a certain satisfaction to be the infrastructure used by the distribution to be attractive)...

FatDog64 is a special case:

I know FatDog64 since Y e a r s ago! But it seem to be really alone in the Linux or, more restrictive, Puppy world - having no library of some other applications really different of a new editor etc.

In the past, in the first release of FatDog64, it was possible, using the 64bit/32bit conversion, to use some packages from 32 bit world. it was great, no immense luxury.

Today, the situation seems not to be better: Those 32 bit app' s seem don't to be any more operable on the most actual FatDog (I suppose it is 64-710 final?), so you can't extend your activities any more using it!

I miss options for following fields of activities useful for each but especially for children and young people:

- flash cards learning
- very effective ocr for languages being often spoke in the world (not only English!) like Chinese, Hindi/Tamil (they are different, but needing to cover the all Indian sub continent, a most numerous contry of the world, as the south-indian peoples refuse, a bit as in the USA, where Spanish is really important in the south, to adopt Hindi, the north Indian language), Spanish, Russian, Arabic, French, Japanese (with or without frontend as ximagereader!)...
- characters fonts: adequate for the named languages Wink
- input methodes: same thing! Rolling Eyes

(as Puppy did begin, more than 10 y. ago, it were no time for such languages details! I did understand it, but 10 y. later Twisted Evil !!! greatest desillusion! greatest lack of consideration for other peoples and cultures! As Australian or North American peoples did not be really always say welcome to her predecessors in the countries, we can see here a direct continuation...)

- geo apps: the most important is around the open project open street maps - in linux represented by "merkaartor"
- marble-qt would be an important complement for those - it is the only one really concurrent to google earth...

- gramps! a lot of people will discover where they are, where they are coming from (is the "human continuation" of geo apps! I am also a "Lucy"?)

etc.

also FatDog64 is not a really new comer any more: the bard is really greyish! also FatDog64 would have time to offer more and if it would have offer more, it would have today more users and ...

... helpers!

FatDog access is terribly complicate: FatDog did "spare" the menu item "help" in the main menu! And the search methodes offered are unwonted. I did look in QuickApps as well as in Glsapt (after actualisation, of course) but it is not really easy to find somewhat.
dr. Dan

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 18:20    Post subject: SFS list  

I recently decided to attempt to make a package, so I went to add the fd64-devx_710.sfs from the control panel SFS manager, but it wasn't listed. I had not gotten around to asking why, when just now, as I was looking into other things here, I looked at the ibiblio Fatdog64 pages. Looking around, I saw that it is listed as available for download. A quick re-check of the SFS manager shows it not listed still. Just an FYI.
step

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 18:41    Post subject:  

slackfan wrote:
step wrote:

Hi Step, thank you very much for your help.

I see, you are personally very active creator of packages for FatDog64. Thank you very much (also in the name of other users; we, users, are all dependent of such people, often named freaks, being able to do more than use: create new figures! I hope, you, all those creators, have also a certain satisfaction to be the infrastructure used by the distribution to be attractive)...

FatDog64 is a special case:

I know FatDog64 since Y e a r s ago! But it seem to be really alone in the Linux or, more restrictive, Puppy world - having no library of some other applications really different of a new editor etc.

In the past, in the first release of FatDog64, it was possible, using the 64bit/32bit conversion, to use some packages from 32 bit world. it was great, no immense luxury.

Today, the situation seems not to be better: Those 32 bit app' s seem don't to be any more operable on the most actual FatDog (I suppose it is 64-710 final?), so you can't extend your activities any more using it!

To run 32-bit applications you first need to load the 32bit compatibility SFS using the Fatdog SFS manager. Alternatively, you can download the SFS directly from http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/710/.
Quote:

I miss options for following fields of activities useful for each but especially for children and young people:

- flash cards learning
- very effective ocr for languages being often spoke in the world (not only English!) like Chinese, Hindi/Tamil (they are different, but needing to cover the all Indian sub continent, a most numerous contry of the world, as the south-indian peoples refuse, a bit as in the USA, where Spanish is really important in the south, to adopt Hindi, the north Indian language), Spanish, Russian, Arabic, French, Japanese (with or without frontend as ximagereader!)...
- characters fonts: adequate for the named languages Wink
- input methodes: same thing! Rolling Eyes

SFR built the tesseract OCR engine. You can download an SFS here http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/contrib/sfs/710/tesseract-3.05.01-x86_64-1.sfs

Quote:

(as Puppy did begin, more than 10 y. ago, it were no time for such languages details! I did understand it, but 10 y. later Twisted Evil !!! greatest desillusion! greatest lack of consideration for other peoples and cultures! As Australian or North American peoples did not be really always say welcome to her predecessors in the countries, we can see here a direct continuation...)

I understand your frustration; you can't get the language support you need. Yet, no one in the Fatdog team has the skills and knowledge to build such support. There is a set of Chinese input methods SFS, created by user icake here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=942967&ppage=99999#942967. See also stemsee's post in the same thread here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=943093&ppage=99999#943093 and following posts.
Quote:

- geo apps: the most important is around the open project open street maps - in linux represented by "merkaartor"
- marble-qt would be an important complement for those - it is the only one really concurrent to google earth...

- gramps! a lot of people will discover where they are, where they are coming from (is the "human continuation" of geo apps! I am also a "Lucy"?)

etc.

also FatDog64 is not a really new comer any more: the bard is really greyish! also FatDog64 would have time to offer more and if it would have offer more, it would have today more users and ...

... helpers!

FatDog access is terribly complicate: FatDog did "spare" the menu item "help" in the main menu! And the search methodes offered are unwonted. I did look in QuickApps as well as in Glsapt (after actualisation, of course) but it is not really easy to find somewhat.

slackfan

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct 2017, 09:10    Post subject:  

Thank you step for your own efforts! As the discussion did be blocked in the parallel thread without some explanation, I can and will not answer to you about only a part of the details and will also not answer in a thread containing 39 pages, a typical Puppy terror situation those long threads without search engine permitting to find concrete messages or reduce the search adequately.

some what goes wrong in Puppy from today!
L18L

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct 2017, 08:54    Post subject:  

slackfan wrote:
some what goes wrong in Puppy from today!

So what?
Fatdog's devs are slow and lazy.
Fatdog is not Puppy.
Reading Help helps.
help.png
 Description   Why not translate Fatdog's help to one of the languages you are missing?
 Filesize   19.06 KB
 Viewed   255 Time(s)

help.png

eowens2

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct 2017, 16:22    Post subject:  

My Fatdog64_710_final, running from a HD, has been stable for months,
but today something crazy happened to the desktop.

The boot process seems normal, but instead of the usual olive-green Fatdog64-700.jpg wallpaper, the background is white. Most of the icons are missing except for the drive icons in the left lower portion of the screen.

The tray at the bottom of the screen is present, containing the menu button, screen-selector, control-panel icon, wifi-icon etc. The menu button seems to work OK, selected functions open windows appropriately and initiate the correct activities.

When I boot without a savefile, the normal desktop and icons are restored, so it appears that the file(s) I clobbered are in the savefile. I can open the savefile and access the files as usual, but none of the file or directory names are highlited suggesting 'new' content.

Of course I could create a new savefile, but I hate losing the contents of the current one. Any suggestions regarding restoring my original desktop and icons would be appreciated.
dr. Dan

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct 2017, 21:53    Post subject:  

@eowens2

Have you backed up your savefile? That's first! Other than changed wallpaper and missing icons, is there any other symptom? Do you usually have additional icons besides the standard "Home, Web Browser, Trash, Help" ones?

If you search everywhere for "PuppyPin", you should find multiple copies. I think the one in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/PuppyPin is the standard pinboard configuration file. Does it have the same information as /etc/xdg/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/PuppyPin?

In HTOP, is there a process named "/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer-jun7/ROX-Filer -p /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/PuppyPin?

You may well have additional problems, and I may not be able to help with them, but this info might be helpful for diagnosis.
don570

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 20:12    Post subject:  

I've fortunately never had that problem. My suggestion is booting with a special kernel parameter
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/boot-options.html

Quote:
dofsck

Perform filesystem check on filesystems that will be used by savefile and basesfs, before they are used. It will check both the physical partitions as well as the savefile. Only ext2/3/4 and FAT filesystems will be checked.
eowens2

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 08:38    Post subject:  

@dr. dan,

Thank you for your prompt, informative and useful reply to my misadventure! I have zero knowledge and experience with screen, display organization and ROX-Filer/PuppyPin, so this was a good learning opportunity for me.

Quote:

Have you backed up your savefile? That's first! Other than changed wallpaper and missing icons, is there any other symptom? Do you usually have additional icons besides the standard "Home, Web Browser, Trash, Help" ones?

Duh...fortunately I had copies of Downloads and other personal files, but not of system files. This event underscores the usefuness of complete backups. There were no other symptoms and yes, I originally had several icons in addition to the four basic ones.

Quote:

In HTOP, is there a process named "/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer-jun7/ROX-Filer -p /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/PuppyPin?

Yes, that process was present in my HTOP..

Quote:

If you search everywhere for "PuppyPin", you should find multiple copies. I think the one in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/PuppyPin is the standard pinboard configuration file. Does it have the same information as /etc/xdg/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/PuppyPin?

Using Pfind, I looked for files containing 'PuppyPin', and as you suggested, I found several, and indeed /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/PuppyPin was different from /etc/xdg/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/PuppyPin.

Fortunately, I had a copy of Fatdog64_710_final on USB stick, so I examined the intact /etc/............./PuppyPin and /root/............/PuppyPin files, and copied the missing lines to /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/PuppyPin on my hard drive, and presto!, my crazy screen was restored.

Thanks again for your interest and showing me where the relevant files reside.
dr. Dan

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 11:40    Post subject:  

@eowens2

Good! Due to its basic design, Fatdog64 is hard to actually mess up, and fairly easy to repair. The backup you want to have (for future reference) is your savefile (or savefolder). You don't need to back up system files, as they are protected and not easily altered, and available from install media or the .iso.

Quote:
Fortunately, I had a copy of Fatdog64_710_final on USB stick, so I examined the intact /etc/............./PuppyPin and /root/............/PuppyPin files, and copied the missing lines to /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-filer/PuppyPin on my hard drive, and presto!, my crazy screen was restored.

Did this recover your additional icons?

I recommend don570's advice about doing a file system check from time to time as well. You may not need it just now, but at your next startup, follow the directions in the help file he mentioned.

Thanks for the reply!
Page 39 of 40 [586 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: