ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-RC)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

#81 Post by peebee »

Here are the XenialPup additional right-clicks as a ydrv for the moment to allow testing.....remove false .gz
Attachments
ydrv_zestypup_17.10.05.sfs.gz
(44 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

Re: manual X restart to get some apps in /root/Startup runing

#82 Post by Marv »

charlie6 wrote:Hi,
Here need, on 2 desktops and one laptop, to several times perform a manual X restart to get some apps in /root/Startup running.

Does anyone else also get this?

This happens quite at each bootup.

Not even the Startup apps don't start, but also seems that the activation of xorg.conf having the wacom tablets code options in it.

HTH Charlie
What are the hardware specs on your systems? Just processor and speed. I haven't seen this on my 2nd gen i5 laptop running Zestypup, but the LxPupScs do exactly that on my i5s. I have sleeps there in the first script run in /root/Startup and in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. I think some cards aren't settled by the time X starts on those machines. Not needed on my core 2 duo or older systems. For diagnostic purposes, try adding a sleep 4 line to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local, save (assuming frugal), and reboot.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

bigpup

#83 Post by bigpup »

Last edited by bigpup on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 23:59, edited 3 times in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Marv

#84 Post by Marv »

Updated to the 05 delta generated iso and..

CUPS printing:

Now ok here on the i5 laptop and the networked HP4500 referenced above. I installed hpliplite-3.14.3 from a pet, temporarily disabled the firewall, ran the CUPS wizard. The printer was found, installed, and prints.

Samba Server:

Not yet. The nmbd daemon refuses to start, smbd is ok. Lots of hits searching on the first part of the nmbd log but no satisfaction so far. The samba version is the same as that in LxPupXenial 17.06.1, where I just set up an identical server and it works. I see no difference in setup looking at the samba relevant files in /etc. Completely clean nmbd log there.

Code: Select all

[2017/10/11 15:28:07.145423,  0] ../lib/util/fault.c:79(fault_report)
  INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 1999 (4.4.2)
  Please read the Trouble-Shooting section of the Samba HOWTO
[2017/10/11 15:28:07.145487,  0] ../lib/util/fault.c:81(fault_report)
  ===============================================================
[2017/10/11 15:28:07.145537,  0] ../source3/lib/util.c:791(smb_panic_s3)
  PANIC (pid 1999): internal error
[2017/10/11 15:28:07.146656,  0] ../source3/lib/util.c:902(log_stack_trace)
  BACKTRACE: 14 stack frames:
   #0 /usr/lib/libsmbconf.so.0(log_stack_trace+0x26) [0xb74cbf91]
   #1 /usr/lib/libsmbconf.so.0(smb_panic_s3+0x68) [0xb74cbded]
   #2 /usr/lib/libsamba-util.so.0(smb_panic+0x2a) [0xb76d9d49]
   #3 /usr/lib/libsamba-util.so.0(+0x1da2c) [0xb76d9a2c]
   #4 /usr/lib/libsamba-util.so.0(+0x1da47) [0xb76d9a47]
   #5 [0xb775cb60]
   #6 /usr/lib/libtalloc.so.2(+0x1cc4) [0xb74a8cc4]
   #7 /usr/lib/libtalloc.so.2(talloc_get_size+0x37) [0xb74ac372]
   #8 /usr/lib/libsmbconf.so.0(event_add_to_poll_args+0x60) [0xb74e5bcc]
   #9 /usr/sbin/nmbd(listen_for_packets+0x209) [0x4f6113]
   #10 /usr/sbin/nmbd(+0x793c) [0x4e193c]
   #11 /usr/sbin/nmbd(main+0xe23) [0x4e2b6d]
   #12 /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf6) [0xb71bf276]
   #13 /usr/sbin/nmbd(+0x5d31) [0x4dfd31]
[2017/10/11 15:28:07.147161,  0] ../source3/lib/dumpcore.c:318(dump_core)
  dumping core in /var/log/samba/cores/nmbd
[2017/10/11 15:39:20.373321,  0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
  STATUS=daemon 'nmbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections
[2017/10/11 15:39:20.374032,  0] ../lib/util/fault.c:78(fault_report)
Not to go out on a sour note,

All CPU speed governors work correctly. intel_pstate and acpi_cpufreq ondemand, conservative, powersave, performance tested.

Places is great! I gave it an icon in the tray to perk it up. The pup is just a placeholder for now.
Attachments
places.png
(2.39 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

cthisbear

#85 Post by cthisbear »

" Audio is garbled in You Tube "

Happened to me as well.
I think the third time I tried Youtube that behaviour stopped..

Chris.

zigbert

#86 Post by zigbert »

Marv wrote:Updated to the 05 delta generated iso and..

CUPS printing:

Now ok here on the i5 laptop and the networked HP4500 referenced above. I installed hpliplite-3.14.3 from a pet, temporarily disabled the firewall, ran the CUPS wizard. The printer was found, installed, and prints.
Where can I find hpliplite-3.14.3.pet?

backi

#87 Post by backi »

bigpup

#88 Post by bigpup »

belham2 wrote:
bigpup wrote:Zestypup Star Trek.
That's looks nice and tight, Bigpup! but I just can't get my desktop wallpaper + htop (or pprocess) integration to look like yours (and rufwoof's).
Sorry, but that is nothing but a wallpaper image that I found on the internet.
Those are not Htop or any other programs open.
That is just stuff that is part of the image.
rufwoof is way beyond me with the stuff he is doing.

There are links to Star Trek stuff posted in this topic.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111684
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

belham2

#89 Post by belham2 »

peebee wrote:Here are the XenialPup additional right-clicks as a ydrv for the moment to allow testing.....remove false .gz
[Tested in 3 different Zesty frugal installs (regular, Radky, and XFCE]

The right-click ydrv is a nice addition. The only 'real' problem with it is something happens when it is first installed, setting background doesn't work and you end up losing your background. But it's no biggie to just reset it again by opening JWMDesk. Then, all is fine. I only changed a few things for the right-clicks; big one was changing Geany to Leafpad---it is maddening to have continual tabs opened in geany for each new item when you are susally always after a need to see visually both items.

Other than that, nice job, Peebee, with the right-clicks. Most everything is there overall that anyone using right-clicks could want.

melon688

#90 Post by melon688 »

setup > Language/Country > Country > zh_TW

copy zh_TW font to /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF

under xenialpup 7.0.8.5,menu item has zh_TW font:

(see 7085.png)

under zeastpup 17.10.05,menu item has no zh_TW font:

(see 171005.png)
Attachments
171005.png
(34.46 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
7085.png
(12.96 KiB) Downloaded 242 times

charlie6

Re: manual X restart to get some apps in /root/Startup runing

#91 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Marv,
+ @PeeBee about wacom tablet connection.
Marv wrote:
charlie6 wrote:Hi,
Here need, on 2 desktops and one laptop, to several times perform a manual X restart to get some apps in /root/Startup running.

Does anyone else also get this?

This happens quite at each bootup.

Not even the Startup apps don't start, but also seems that the activation of xorg.conf having the wacom tablets code options in it.

HTH Charlie
What are the hardware specs on your systems?... .
1. Here are the specs:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Socket Designation: CPU
Manufacturer: Intel
Voltage: 3.3 V
External Clock: 533 MHz
Max Speed: 3060 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:2533 MHz
2. about rc.local edition: added sleep 4 without improvment..

3. about tablet connection:
Only the Wacom Bamboo Pen MTE-450 tablet gives me some unconstant or unsteady behaviour: seems like there are two tablets in one and X "hesitate between the one or the other" :shock: :x as the input_drv.so driver recognizes 7 items instead of 4:
doing in terminal #xsetwacom --list reports:
- stylus, eraser, cursor and pad devices;
+
- i.e. Wacom Bamboo Pen, Wacom Bamboo Eraser and Wacom Bamboo Pad.
and
doing in a terminal
# more /proc/bus/input/devices
reports there are two events (i.e. event4 and event5) assigned to Wacom Bamboo Pen and Wacom Bamboo Pad respectively.
Then the tablet works as a common mouse without having the pressure function in MtPaint. Aslo the /dev/input/wacom link points to /dev/input/event5.

After one or more successive restart X , then it happens that the command
#xsetwacom --list reports
- stylus, eraser, cursor and pad devices
+
- Wacom Bamboo Pad

and then the tablet works as expected (cursors behaviour, pen pressure in MtPaint...).
Then the /dev/input/wacom symlink (created by the uedv rules) points to /dev/input/event4 (Wacom Bamboo Pen)

I do not know what causes that difficult (unpredictable?...random??) to reproduce behaviour.
I have spent quite two afternoons to browse and read the web + the linuxwacom project website to find some usefull infos.

My experience is that the Wacom Bamboo MTE-450 tablet was working OK with Tahrpup-6.0.6 and earlier Puppies.
Also tried to compile (without success :( ) an earlier X wacom driver xf86-input-wacom-0.17.0.tar.bz2 which I know it supports The Wacom Bamboo MT-450 tablet.

Though, I also have a Volito CTF-420 wacom tablet which works OK OOTB on the above documented CPU.

Thanks for any commet!
HTH Charlie

666philb

#92 Post by 666philb »

hi peebee,

good work! :)

printing and scanning are work OTB for me on a 'epson stylus
sx125'

hevc encoded are videos working. they even work on my netbook which would usually struggle with them.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log is getting spammed with dbus errors as a the 'pid' & 'socket' are missing from /var/run/dbus.
symlinking from /etc/init.d/dbus to /etc/init.d/messagebus should fix that.

the transmission your using requires gtk3, so you'll probably want one of the older .pet versions

i think 'show image thumbnails' should be turned on in rox's options. useful when browsing image or icon folders

.svg run action is set to defaultdraw but would be better set to defaultimageviewer
/usr/local/bin/defaultdraw is set to sodipodi :)

the JWM version you are using is noticeably clunky & slow on my low end netbook. was this compiled on a different puppy? i compiled 2.3.7m in zestypup and it's much better.

also in JWM to get rid of those co-ordinates that appear when you move a window add

<!-- The resize mode (outline or opaque) -->
<ResizeMode coordinates="off" >opaque</ResizeMode>
to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal after 'the move mode'

i've compiled the latest samba in zesty (using 01mickos petbuilds) and shares are now working. samba & jwm .pets here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by 666philb on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

peebee

#93 Post by peebee »

666philb wrote:hi peebee,

good work! :)

printing and scanning are work OTB for me on a 'epson stylus
sx125'

hevc encoded are videos working. they even work on my netbook which would usually struggle with them.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log is getting spammed with dbus errors as a the 'pid' & 'socket' are missing from /var/run/dbus.
symlinking from /etc/init.d/dbus to /etc/init.d/messagebus should fix that.

the transmission your using requires gtk3, so you'll probably want one of the older .pet versions

i think 'show image thumbnails' should be turned on in rox's options. useful when browsing image or icon folders

.svg run action is set to defaultdraw but would be better set to defaultimageviewer
/usr/local/bin/defaultdraw is set to sodipodi :)

the JWM version you are using is noticeably clunky & slow on my low end netbook. was this compiled on a different puppy? i compiled 2.3.7m in zestypup and it's much better.

also in JWM to get rid of those co-ordinates that appear when you move a window add

<!-- The resize mode (outline or opaque) -->
<ResizeMode coordinates="off" >opaque</ResizeMode>
to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal after 'the move mode'

i've compiled the latest samba in zesty and shares are now working. samba & jwm .pets here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Hi 666philb

Great to hear from you - and thanks for all the comments.

Does your JWM-2.3.7 work with the themes in ptheme? I had to use 2.3.2 from slacko for this reason. If it does any chance of the .pets?

I'll work through the other things slowly....

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#94 Post by Marv »

666philb wrote:i've compiled the latest samba in zesty and shares are now working. samba & jwm .pets here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
I installed the samba pet. Shares tested and working perfectly here now.
Thanks!

@peebee The 'Create a pet package' rightclick is inoperative.

Cheers,

radky

#95 Post by radky »

Last edited by radky on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 20:25, edited 2 times in total.

666philb

#96 Post by 666philb »

peebee wrote:
Does your JWM-2.3.7 work with the themes in ptheme? I had to use 2.3.2 from slacko for this reason. If it does any chance of the .pets?

Cheers
Peter
i tried it and no it doesn't :( maybe sigmund can figure it out. i had a try but it's beyond me as i don't use ptheme.

the link to it is in my previous post if you want to test.

cheers
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

sc0ttman

#97 Post by sc0ttman »

Can someone confirm that the Places menu on the JWM taskbar fails to show exFAT partitions?

Can anyone confirm that Pmount fails to mount exFAT partitions OK?

This is my experience on all pups so far, I'm guessing Zesty is no different..

Lots of 1TB drives comes with exFAT by default so they should prob work..
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

zigbert

#98 Post by zigbert »

I have downloaded jwm-2.3.7
Thank you 666philb

Elena

#99 Post by Elena »

Frugal ZestyPup is a really nice effort, Peter (peebee)! Thank you so much for creating it. :)

Having no issues so far to report. Yet a lot of things work really well (e.g. scanning with Canoscan 9000F, printing with HP Laserjet, using IMAP mail, building lots of Python libs from the repo, adding Wine, Java JRE, Sublime Text, etc.)

For an additional darker GTK theme, 0nyX has been added.

LateAdopter

#100 Post by LateAdopter »

sc0ttman wrote:Can anyone confirm that Pmount fails to mount exFAT partitions OK?

This is my experience on all pups so far, I'm guessing Zesty is no different..
Hello sc0ttman
I tried my 64GB SD card, two years ago, before I reformatted it. On Tahrpup64 I had to install exfat-fuse and exfat-utils from Ubuntu. Then it worked OK.