Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 11:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 47 of 49 [727 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 Next
Author Message
rufwoof

Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 2148

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2017, 13:01    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
belham2 wrote:
P.S. Fred, wanted to ask ya something----when I updated, apt-get held back peasyxorburn? Was/is there a reason??

I have no idea why, that happens sometimes, I can't reproduce with peasyxorburn, but for me it's firefox-esr held back, but doing (see below):
Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade

makes it install

apt-get upgrade will only upgrade existing things to newer versions, it wont add or remove things. apt-get dist-upgrade can make changes, add newer things, remove no longer used things ...etc. For some programs such as firefox-esr upgrading typically only dist-upgrade will actually upgrade it, apt-get upgrade will just report that its available via the way of saying that it was held back.

Its not a good idea to just run

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

but better to run each individually and make sure you read the prompts before pressing 'y' as I have seen one instance of where someone just casually pressed yes to a prompt that said 3.9GB of programs/libs would be removed, and they were subsequently left with a non bootable system.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2528
Location: holland

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2017, 15:53    Post subject:  

*** Update mklive-stretch ***

Changes:

- Should work from any newer puppy now without workaround as discussed earlier
(unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH is done inside script now)
Required is to install debootstrap pet, provided by wiak Download
For ISO creation is required xorriso and isotools packages installed.
(if not installed, creating ISO will fail, but the script will still create the files for a frugal install)

- Works from Xenialdog 32-bit now (previously didn't work because of symlink /bin/chroot in Xenialdog32)

Download:
mklive-stretch script

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 15:02; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2528
Location: holland

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 06:21    Post subject: Whisker-menu modified version  

Hi All,

For when built "Full DebianDog Openbox_Xfce-Jwm version", I made a (very much) modified Whisker-menu, e.g. buttons for Start-Jwm, Start-Slim (login-manager), Logout.
Also the profile picture can be changed easily (by clicking on it and select new picture).
Install from Synaptic or from terminal:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-mod

This will replace the standard whiskermenu package

Included also in New StretchDog ISO's

Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1182

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 08:15    Post subject: Re: Whisker-menu modified version  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi All,

For when built "Full DebianDog Openbox_Xfce-Jwm version", I made a (very much) modified Whisker-menu, e.g. buttons for Start-Jwm, Start-Slim (login-manager), Logout.
Also the profile picture can be changed easily (by clicking on it and select new picture).
Install from Synaptic or from terminal:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-mod

This will replace the standard whiskermenu package

Included also in New StretchDog ISO's

Fred



Hi Fred,

Uhmmm, before I do this new whisker-mod, is this supposed to be what it does? It removes all of xfce4-goodies? I use nearly all of the xfce4-goodies, thus I don't get it. I wanted to ask this because I've a perfectly functioning, super-stable XFCE64-build and I don't want to screw anything up by installing the new 'whiskermenu-plugin-mod'. Is that what you intended?? For ALL Shocked of the xfce4-goodies to be removed?
is-the-whisker-menu-plugin-mod-install-going-to-remove-xfce4goodies.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   70.78 KB
 Viewed   564 Time(s)

is-the-whisker-menu-plugin-mod-install-going-to-remove-xfce4goodies.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2528
Location: holland

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 08:50    Post subject:  

belham wrote:
Uhmmm, before I do this new whisker-mod, is this supposed to be what it does? It removes all of xfce4-goodies? I use nearly all of the xfce4-goodies, thus I don't get it. I wanted to ask this because I've a perfectly functioning, super-stable XFCE64-build and I don't want to screw anything up by installing the new 'whiskermenu-plugin-mod'. Is that what you intended?? For ALL Shocked of the xfce4-goodies to be removed?


No, I didn't realize that it would remove xfce4-goodies, that's not good.
My mistake. I will try to find a solution for that.
Btw, on a pure xfce4 install this whisker-mod is not very useful, I think.
It's made suitable for the Openbox_ Xfce-Jwm combo type of build.

Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2528
Location: holland

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 09:48    Post subject:  

Hi belham, looks to me that I fixed it, but for testing purpose can you try again and confirm ? (need to do first apt-get update)

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-mod


Probably it gives a warning something like "dependency problems", "but yes, as requested"... blah blah but in the end it should install without problems.

EDIT: just for info, looking better at your apt-get terminal pic, it's not that all applications would be removed, only the "transitional" or "meta" package "xfce4-goodies" (which provides all the applications), so it's not that bad (the list of applications you see are set as "autoremove", so only if you're doing "apt-get autoremove" will uninstall them).
Again, shouldn't be how it was removing xfce4-goodies package and hopefully fixed now.

Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1182

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 15:46    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi belham, looks to me that I fixed it, but for testing purpose can you try again and confirm ? (need to do first apt-get update)

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-mod


Probably it gives a warning something like "dependency problems", "but yes, as requested"... blah blah but in the end it should install without problems.

EDIT: just for info, looking better at your apt-get terminal pic, it's not that all applications would be removed, only the "transitional" or "meta" package "xfce4-goodies" (which provides all the applications), so it's not that bad (the list of applications you see are set as "autoremove", so only if you're doing "apt-get autoremove" will uninstall them).
Again, shouldn't be how it was removing xfce4-goodies package and hopefully fixed now.

Fred



Hi Fred,

Deciding to be safe, I copied over my "frugal" DDog-XFCE64-build into a new 'frugal' folder, and set it up in grub4dos. Boy oh boy, am I happy I did.

I did just like you wrote. I ran 'apt-get update', the ran 'apt-get install whiskermenu-plugin-mod', selected "Yes", and watched as it installed. Fred, my whole XFCE whisker menu instantly became unstable, and then, in a few minutes of clicking, unusable. I couldn't even get the original XFCE Applications menu item to load. Whisker just vanished and/or self-destructed. Then, every thing (the OS overall) just crashed.

Thanking my lucky stars that I for once had enough brains to test something first, haha, I just deleted the frugal install and, if you don't mind, I'll now pass on this whisker-mod. Lord, that whisker-mod was like a nuclear bomb going off inside my XFCE.... Shocked It's probably just my fault and my systems, I mean maybe it's something I did when I was building this XFCE64 and then modifying/setting things up. But it has operated so stable and so well over the past month of frequent use, that I honestly cannot think of what I might have done.

Anyway, I'll let backi test and run it. He'll try anything! He even got me to load that buggy SpaceFM contraption of filemanager Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 1311
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 16:10    Post subject:  

..seems we have to look for some kind of suicidal Test-Crew of Linux Djihadis . Laughing Laughing Laughing

Allahu akbar !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2528
Location: holland

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 17:22    Post subject:  

Hi Belham,

Quote:
I did just like you wrote. I ran 'apt-get update', the ran 'apt-get install whiskermenu-plugin-mod', selected "Yes", and watched as it installed. Fred, my whole XFCE whisker menu instantly became unstable, and then, in a few minutes of clicking, unusable. I couldn't even get the original XFCE Applications menu item to load. Whisker just vanished and/or self-destructed. Then, every thing (the OS overall) just crashed.


Whoops Shocked , sounds bad, sorry, I could have expected a possible configuration problem, but not crashing like you had.
Very strange, it works OK for me.

Can anyone else please test ?
(with some type of setup: openbox with xfce)
If you have the courage Smile With changes=EXIT boot nothing bad can happen, I guess, just don't save the changes if not OK


Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 1311
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct 2017, 04:09    Post subject:  

Hi Fred !
Just a quick Test .
Tried with a new/fresh Openbox/Xfce full Dog .....followed procedure above ....
did not encounter this type of Problems belham described .

Regards !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2528
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct 2017, 04:44    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
Hi Fred !
Just a quick Test .
Tried with a new/fresh Openbox/Xfce full Dog .....followed procedure above ....
did not encounter this type of Problems belham described .

Regards !


Thanks backi !
I like to be sure, so I ask:
You installed xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-mod, but did you also load in on the panel ? (and did some configuration changes, right-click icon > properties)

Btw, in the meantime I tested again few times and also on another computer without experiencing any problems, so it's a mystery for me why belham's report was so bad...

Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1182

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct 2017, 05:35    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
backi wrote:
Hi Fred !
Just a quick Test .
Tried with a new/fresh Openbox/Xfce full Dog .....followed procedure above ....
did not encounter this type of Problems belham described .

Regards !


Thanks backi !
I like to be sure, so I ask:
You installed xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-mod, but did you also load in on the panel ? (and did some configuration changes, right-click icon > properties)

Btw, in the meantime I tested again few times and also on another computer without experiencing any problems, so it's a mystery for me why belham's report was so bad...

Fred



And I have found the culprit!

It's all Backi's fault!! Twisted Evil Exclamation

When I had made that duplicate copy of my DDog-XFCE64-build in another 'frugal' folder, I had absentmindedly used SpaceFM to do it. Had walked away for a minute, came back, and it was done with none of those "stalled" errors SpaceFM has been showing that Backi & me have seen. So I "ass"-umed everything was okey-dokey.

To be sure I was remembering it right, I made another frugal folder copy this morning of DDog-XFCE64, and I used Thunar. Booted up, and did everything like I did yesterday. No nuclear bomb! Uber whisker-mod by Freddo works as advertised, and the additional buttons are really nice & welcome, thread.

Moral of story: never TRUST Backi! LOL....no, no, moral of story is be careful of SpaceFM when making big copies of anything. That program has a demon-bug in its source code when it comes to copying.

Next question, Fred----can I put this "whickermenu-plugin-mod" in all my pups that have XFCE? I mean, if I download it separately, then install it, and just change some of the targets of the buttons to what is existing on that pup? Or is this not a good idea? You know me, I'll try anything, careless as a bear trapped in a cave full of honey & thinking there's no way I could eat myself to death Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2528
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct 2017, 11:42    Post subject:  

belham wrote:
And I have found the culprit!
...
...


OK, that's good news, Ooohh.. backi strikes again Laughing
@backi, no, no, good old belham dropped a virtual nuclear bomb on holland !! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Next question, Fred----can I put this "whickermenu-plugin-mod" in all my pups that have XFCE? I mean, if I download it separately, then install it, and just change some of the targets of the buttons to what is existing on that pup? Or is this not a good idea? You know me, I'll try anything, careless as a bear trapped in a cave full of honey & thinking there's no way I could eat myself to death


You can try, but probably it won't work in all pups (e.g. dependencies should fit and also glibc version)
I wonder if it's useful since this mod is specially made for openbox_xfce-jwm variant (with default buttons start-jwm, start-slim, dog-ctrl-center, obshutdown)
Btw, it took me a while to find out, the profile picture can be easily changed by manually adding a picture named .face in /root (no need for "mugshot" which is the default for changing profile picture in the standard whisker-menu-plugin)

Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2528
Location: holland

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 14:10    Post subject:  

Hi all, rcrsn51,

Made a small change to peasywifi package, by modyfing /etc/pwf/udhcpc/default.script to display notify splash-message

EDIT: Removed from repos now, shouldn't have messed with someone else's program.

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 04:40; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 11638
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 22:44    Post subject:  

If you are going to start adding useless window-dressing, fork the project and give it a different name.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 47 of 49 [727 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1145s ][ Queries: 15 (0.0200s) ][ GZIP on ]