Adobe Digital Editions - error message: E_ADEPT_IO

Booting, installing, newbie
jakobcornelis

Adobe Digital Editions - error message: E_ADEPT_IO

#1 Post by jakobcornelis »

I have for several years downloaded e-books from my local library involving Adobe Digital Editions, a free Windows application. As far as I know, this is the only way to borrow e-books covered by DRM, which protects copyrighted books from being copied.

I have run ADE under Wine, on Slacko 623. Read a lot of books with this. Until, that is, this spring. ADE started refusing to convert the so-called acsm files, which is what you download from the libraries, into e-books, with the message: Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO

When I started to try and figure out what the problem might be I soon discovered this is a not uncommon error message. However, nowhere I could find and explanation, let alone a solution, to this problem, neither from Adobe customer support nor from library sources.

Most public libraries, as far as I am aware, use software called Overdrive to present their e-holdings to the public. While Overdrive kept downloading books to me, ADE would not accept the acms files. Meanwhile, ebooks from another on-line library I use - Open Library - were apparently still acceptable to ADE which converted the acsm files to books I could read.

So I have started to suspect Overdrive from causing the problem. They started upgrading their software this spring, concurrently with ADE stopping to process acsm files. The only real evidence I discovered is that Overdrive now is very picky about what browser one uses, meaning anything but the latest and the greatest. All I can say, I don't use anything like the L&G (PaleMoon 27.2.0). This may be relevant. My understanding is, ADE sends the acsm files back to Overdrive as a sort of licence giving me the privilege of reading the book for a certain length of time. Does it use my browser for this?

I would be interested hearing from others who have experienced the E_ADEPT_IO error and what they have found out about it, or even how they've overcome it.

I have tried everything I can think of within the limitations of my meagre expertise, and with two pieces of software that can be a bit tricky in their own right - Wine and Adobe Digital Editions. I have even tried to revive my old Windows XP (without success so far), which is about the last thing I wanted to do.

Jake

HP Compaq
DC7100 SFF
P4 3.0GHz
80 Gb - SATA
1024 Mb RAM
Slacko 531
Slacko 632
Windows XP

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

There's really an alternative.

Pretty cool, no need to copy, no need to convert, no need to download.

Feels pretty good in the hands and smells in a exclusive way.

Just buy and carry home.

Paper books.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Jake.

Y'know, you've started me off now. I'm a mega-bookworm; always have been, though as LazY says, I tend to use paper books!

I've had a copy of ADE hanging around for ages; got it installed on most of my Pups. Works very well under WINE 1.7.51.....although I tend to use it for a few series of books I used to have as real paper books, which got lost during a house-move.....so I tracked 'em down in e-book format.

I thought I'd have a look into this eBook stuff at my local library.....sure enough, yes, it's Overdrive. It appears to make a big difference as to the format in which you download the eBook; some, apparently, are viewable in the browser itself.

I just 'borrowed' one (.acsm file), and dragged it into ADE. Whadd'ya know, I'm getting the exact same error as you are.

Code: Select all

Error getting license 
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO 
So; it would appear it's a pretty wide-spread problem. That link of bigpup's details a couple of solutions that could work, though since the instructions are really for running ADE directly under Windoze, I wouldn't like to say whether they'd work when running it under WINE.....

What's this 'OverDrive Media Console' all about? Have you ever used it?

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Nah, forget the OverDrive Media Console. Doesn't work under WINE at all. It'll install.....bit it won't run.

The answer to this is not to download in epub/ebook (.acsm) format at all. Select the OverDrive eReader format instead.....and then you simply read it in your browser. Click on your resource link, and it'll open straight away in a new tab. As long as your browser supports HTML5, you're laughing.

Click the left side of the screen to go back a page/right side to go forward a page.

Much, much simpler..! Looks like we gotta move with the times; it doesn't surprise me in the least, since more & more stuff is becoming browser-based, or accessible in the browser.

See if your library gives you the option of the OverDrive eReader format. I'll be very surprised if it doesn't...

Mike. :wink:

version2013

#6 Post by version2013 »

some possible sources of info:
https://openlibrary.org/help/faq/troubl ... be-error-3
https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-edition ... ccess.html

When I read DRM ebooks, I either read them in a web browser, or through the Aldiko app on Android.

http://www.aldiko.com/

jakobcornelis

#7 Post by jakobcornelis »

LazY Puppy: Sjeese; never thought of that!

bigpup: Yes, been there, done that.

Mike Walsh: No, haven't used Overdrive. Never needed to. I am perfectly happy with the old way of borrowing e-books (you can't teach an old dog new tricks, can you now). I can read everything on-line OK, in both the libraries I use, but I find that very uncomfortable, and hard on the eyes. I have used a Nook, and after that hit the deck (literally), which killed it, I switched to a KOBO. Either of those is much gentler on the eyes. I really like this e-ink technology - even without "glow". The experience is pretty close to reading print, I find.

I use Wine version 2.0.2 - couldn't get any other to work. This is one of the problems: Even within Puppy, there are so many versions - distros, really - that what may work in one may not work in another, and there may not be any one solution. Then, on top of that mess we load ADE. Different versions of ADE fit different versions of Wine, it seems. My ADE version is 1.7. That's about the oldest on the list.
And, by the way, why does there have to be a specific version of Windows specified? (Or is that for Wine? Heck, I get confused.)

For me the bottom line, though, is that it worked before (heck I borrowed e-books from my local library with ADE for years), and now it quit working. I think it has to do with Overdrive's upgrade. Incidentally, I have tried using Firefox 55.0.2. No dice. I haven't gone down that investigative path yet - I wish somebody else would do that, ha, ha. Is there any evidence that the browser version is the problem?

The fact I am running ADE under Wine. and not on Windows, is also always at the back of my mind, so that's why I am posting this here in the hope there are other ADE-on-Wine users reading this forum. If there are, let us know which versions exactly you are using, and which browser, particularly when ADE works for you.

version2013: My problem isn't with Open Library. If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. Adobe help is useless. If they knew you use Wine, can you guess what they'd say? Even though the Wine application database lists ADE.

As I said before, I am not comfortable reading books on-line. I am planning to get my smartphone to do books, though, for when I forget to bring the KOBO. javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

But here's the question: Don't you need to use ADE with Aldiko? Or BlueIfish (or whatever the heck it's called)? It's ADE that can turn acsm files into epub (or pdf ) files, and, to my knowledge, only ADE can do that - unless you read on-line. Maybe that's part of the problem. If you have a monopoly, and it's free, how much effort are you going to expend on helping your stupid customers?

All this demonstrates how behind the times the current copyright agreements, laws, and regulations are. They just don't work for electronic publishing.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

by the way, why does there have to be a specific version of Windows specified?
I assume you are asking about what version of Windows Wine is setup to emulate.

Programs compiled for Windows are coded for a specific Windows version or versions.

Try to run a program compiled for Windows 10 on Windows XP.
Not going to work.

Wine config has settings to make it emulate a specific version of Windows.
If the program you are trying to use was designed for, say Windows XP.
You want Wine to emulate Windows XP for that program.

Wine Config
The "Application" tab allows you to create settings based on the application that WINE is executing as well as selecting a version of Windows to emulate for compatibility reasons.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

version2013

#9 Post by version2013 »

jakobcornelis wrote:

version2013: My problem isn't with Open Library. If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. Adobe help is useless. If they knew you use Wine, can you guess what they'd say? Even though the Wine application database lists ADE.

As I said before, I am not comfortable reading books on-line. I am planning to get my smartphone to do books, though, for when I forget to bring the KOBO. javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

But here's the question: Don't you need to use ADE with Aldiko? Or BlueIfish (or whatever the heck it's called)? It's ADE that can turn acsm files into epub (or pdf ) files, and, to my knowledge, only ADE can do that - unless you read on-line. Maybe that's part of the problem. If you have a monopoly, and it's free, how much effort are you going to expend on helping your stupid customers?

All this demonstrates how behind the times the current copyright agreements, laws, and regulations are. They just don't work for electronic publishing.
I figured the problem was not with Open Library, but that page happened to have info. about the error message and links to other relevant questions.

In my experience you do not need ADE with Aldiko.
You do need an AdobeID.

On my smartphone, in my internet browser, I can login to Open Library, checkout an ebook, then download the Adobe pdf into the Aldiko app.

One ebook did not display correctly, but the other few I tested displayed fine.

jakobcornelis

#10 Post by jakobcornelis »

To version2013: Can you borrow an e- book from your local municipal library? Check whether it uses Overdrive.

version2013

#11 Post by version2013 »

jakobcornelis wrote:To version2013: Can you borrow an e- book from your local municipal library? Check whether it uses Overdrive.
I was able to check-out/borrow an ebook from the website of my local library, on my smartphone.
That check-out page notified me that it uses Overdrive, but Aldiko took over the download and loaded the ebook in the app.

jakobcornelis

#12 Post by jakobcornelis »

That's interesting, version2013. Seems to me Aldiko has some form of ADEPT incorporated. In any event, I am going to remember that for when I decide to read books on my Blackberry Passport.

However, my main intent is still to use ADE to transfer books to my e-reader. I haven't gotten much further with that. Tried to install ADE 45 again, but it didn't go. As far as I am concerned, an important clue is that ADE worked on my desktop, but then stopped working. Hey, I didn't change anything I am aware of; who/what did?

Meanwhile, there are other priorities currently claiming my attention, and I'll have to put this project to sleep for a while. I want to say thank you all who offered suggestions, recommendations, and other supports: LazY Puppy, bigpup, Mike Walsh, version2013. I'll probably be back here in a few weeks or so.

Regards, Jake

jakobcornelis

#13 Post by jakobcornelis »

Back again! Well, I didn't get much further with this issue. In fact, I lost ground. Having reinstalled both Wine (2.0.3) and ADE (1.7) I now find I cannot get ADE to shake hands with my e-reader. For this problem I went to Wine HQ's APPDB. Found some detailed directions there involving wineconfig; following this to the letter didn't get me anywhere, though. I vaguely recall going through this procedure years ago and getting it to work eventually. I am still not totally sure what a mount point is. My ereader is represented by sdb KOBOeReader; wine config tells me the mount point path is /mnt/sdb/KOBOeReader/ (I think). No handshake, though.
I think part of my problem is that I run older software on an older box; Somewhere along the line maybe that isn't tolerated. Somewhere in my research I saw a mention that the requirement is ADE 2 and newer, but I forget the context. Meanwhile it seems there are lots of ADE 1.7s running successfully, and that is the only version I can get to run on my Wine.
I am getting the impression there aren't many Puppies, if any, running ADE.
So, at this point I am at a loss what to do.
To Version 2013: I tried to install Aldiko on my Blackberry Passport. No dice; the only source for an Aldiko download (Android) is Google Play, and they want no part of a Blackberry Passport. I am now trying to find another reader for my BP available elsewhere. Scribd? Also Google.
Hey, this is major trauma for a book addict. Any help appreciated.

jakobcornelis
[b]Jakob Cornelis[/b]
HP Compaq desktop
DSC7100SFF
P4 3.0 GHz CPU
80 GB SATA HDD
1024 Mb RAM
puppy slacko 632

version2013

#14 Post by version2013 »

Are you able to install Overdrive on your Blackberry Passport?
https://help.overdrive.com/customer/por ... lackberry-
https://app.overdrive.com/

At the bottom of the page is displayed:

"Unable to download from the Google Play Store?
Download for Android OS 4.0 (or newer)"

(link embedded)