VPNs are not (and never have been) privacy fighters

For discussions about security.
belham2

VPNs are not (and never have been) privacy fighters

#1 Post by belham2 »

First off, in this article below, I don't feel bad one bit about what's coming to this creep of a person. Deserves everything thrown his way if stuff is true about what he did. The bigger question here is why people, Internet denizens around the world, still believe VPNs are the privacy panacea people think they are. All VPN providers are in the business to make money, and ALL VPNs, whether they care to admit or not, or just outright lie, store logs. Those logs are a gold mine, and they know it. But even further, they are the footprint of anyone who uses a VPN if any gov't authority comes calling & pushes hard enough to obtain them.

Read the article, notice the person even had a Proton Email account, Gmail and Textnow accounts, but was still so naive to not know how to fully cover his tracks in the OS he was using at work. But the killer was he was using a VPN to access all of them & carry out his seemingly psycho campaign.....authorities tracked & linked him through the logs supposedly not even kept. PureVPN coughed all this up (and more).

Oh, yeah, read the fine print on PureVPN's website: PureVPN claims to not keep logs unless they are just random and absolutely unable to identify the user. Their marketing slop says "...logs? provided we have any....." What horsesh!t. They've logged everyone and all, and have them stored, like all VPNs do. The data is too valuable, worth more than gold to many, savory and unsavory characters alike. VPNs knows this, but still the public is s#cked into believing their spiel.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/0 ... _say_feds/

[corrected title of this thread, to put the word "not" in. Thanks, nubc, for pointing this out. Apologies :oops: ]
Last edited by belham2 on Sat 21 Oct 2017, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

purple379

I have no doubt the NSA has already built a generic file to-

#2 Post by purple379 »

Insert a few bits of identification, and any VPN would be willing to help track and catch a Pedophile, and some other types of creeps. I would be willing to help, if was working for the VPN.

When the government is willing to lie as part of acquiring access to someones info, then we are already helpless.

But in a sense, what does it matter to me if it is the US government, (I am a US citizen who has never left the US, and likely will not) reading my stuff? How can I be harmed?

If they were going to frame me for a crime, I would be helpless to prove the negative. I also presume they look the other way if I was, say, fooling with someone else's wife. Doing a little income tax cheating. I am not doing those things. Basically the NSA would not want to reveal their skills for the petty things ordinary people do.

Just pondering the situation.

souleau

Re: I have no doubt the NSA has already built a generic file to-

#3 Post by souleau »

purple379 wrote:Insert a few bits of identification, and any VPN would be willing to help track and catch a Pedophile, and some other types of creeps. I would be willing to help, if was working for the VPN.

When the government is willing to lie as part of acquiring access to someones info, then we are already helpless.

But in a sense, what does it matter to me if it is the US government, (I am a US citizen who has never left the US, and likely will not) reading my stuff? How can I be harmed?

If they were going to frame me for a crime, I would be helpless to prove the negative. I also presume they look the other way if I was, say, fooling with someone else's wife. Doing a little income tax cheating. I am not doing those things. Basically the NSA would not want to reveal their skills for the petty things ordinary people do.

Oh I don't know, a few questions..

Are you a journalist? At which media outlet? What is the color of your skin? Have you ever participated in a demonstration of any kind? What political affiliation do you have? What is your sexual preference? How do you feel about animal rights? How do you feel about abortion? How do you feel about people kneeling while the national anthem is being played? Have you ever served in the military? Do you own a firearm? What is your professional field of expertise? Would you describe your work as innovating? Groundbraking perhaps?

You may be an asset, you may a liability, you may be worthless.

belham2

Re: I have no doubt the NSA has already built a generic file to-

#4 Post by belham2 »

souleau wrote:
purple379 wrote:Insert a few bits of identification, and any VPN would be willing to help track and catch a Pedophile, and some other types of creeps. I would be willing to help, if was working for the VPN.

Oh I don't know, a few questions..

Are you a journalist? At which media outlet? What is the color of your skin? Have you ever participated in a demonstration of any kind? What political affiliation do you have? What is your sexual preference? How do you feel about animal rights? How do you feel about abortion? How do you feel about people kneeling while the national anthem is being played? Have you ever served in the military? Do you own a firearm? What is your professional field of expertise? Would you describe your work as innovating? Groundbraking perhaps?

You may be an asset, you may a liability, you may be worthless.
Dam#, Souleau, remind me to get you drunk, very, very, VERY drunk, before having a casual conversation with your CIA-Dark-Ops-NSA warped mind :wink: