Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Oct 2019, 06:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-RC)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 18 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct 2017, 11:12    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
peebee wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
Very brief test on ArtfulPup (++ . Congrats) indicates issues with PPM.
Try to install Breeze_5.10.5 as an example.

Only problem I see is that Breeze is 162 packages = 211MB - i.e. tries to install most of Ubuntu-17.10 Confused
Appropriate to add to a Pup??

Actually I'm talking about 8 packages being selected as "packages to install" instead of 1 (see pick)

Changing "grep -F $TREE1" to "grep ^$TREE1" on line 136 of pkg_chooser.sh should fix that so no extra packages will be installed.
But I guess is pretty uncommon to have the exact same package name and version as part of another package (the culprit in this case)

That happened to me too when I tried to install wine-development-2.18 in this iso from ppm, it picked libwine-development-2.18 too into the right column. I thought it was because both were needed, but looking at your image I guess it picks the others because it has the same string in the name as you mentioned. Smile
LateAdopter

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct 2017, 11:53    Post subject:  

LateAdopter wrote:
Artfulpup loads the modesetting driver rather than the intel_drv, which is present. So I don't get DRI3. I can't see where modesetting is specified in the maze of .conf files. Do you know how to get the Intel driver back. please?

I've fixed it!
Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Card0"
  Driver      "intel"
  VendorName  "INTEL Corporation"
  Option "DRI" "3"
  Option "TripleBuffer" "false"
  Option "TearFree" "false"
EndSection

I had Device0 rather than Card0 which is in the main xorg.conf. Now I get DRI3 and SNA instad of Glamor.

Another minor peculiarity:
When I have mounted my USB stick, clicking the unmount symbol on the drive icon often opens a new window rather than unmounting. Right clicking and selecting unmount sdb1 works correctly.
artsown

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct 2017, 13:11    Post subject:  

Quote:

artsown wrote:
why you don't include a flash player
installer/updater like other pups include.

Because it quickly becomes out of date as Adobe rearrange their websites....

Therefore always better to install the latest version via PPM....

I'll maybe include the dummy get_flash that I include in LxPupSc....

AH! Thanks Smile

Art
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct 2017, 18:23    Post subject:  

Does anybody understand how Ubuntu works???

I was concerned that ArtfulPup was showing openssl at 1.0.2g when Slackware Current is at 1.0.2l.....

However 1.0.2g appears to be the version in Artful! - https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/openssl and Zesty and Xenial...

Why haven't they updated to 1.0.2l for a new release?? I know that they never change version numbers once a release has happened although we are lead to believe that they do backport security updates whilst keeping the same old version number - all very confusing and misleading.

But surely Artful should have been released with openssl-1.0.2l as its base?? Have they diverted so far from the base that they're unable to change to the most up-to-date version? It's been 1.0.2g since Xenial...!!

Or do they only update every 2 years at LTS release time? 2 years is a long time in software development!

hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Tue 24 Oct 2017, 03:07    Post subject: Ubuntu LTS is four years at least.
Subject description: LTS Tahr Support until april 2019

Ubuntu LTS is four years at least. Lot Of Puppy Linux Are still based on Tahr.
Ubuntu is Still used by Workers in some Firms or administrations as 'Gendarmerie' . Our poor 'gendarmes are not geeks. and failed lot of times in using the Linux OS. If You re-install Ubuntu new version each two years, they will be learning all the time, for what they are not paid for, with our money.
as i am not a 'Gendarme' i can spent time updating my Puppy Linux OS.

I am very glad that our Puppies begin to be loaded in Maghreb (FR spoken) North Africa, that was my job (Espoir de Figuig (Maroc) Assistance of cities in Morocco, including Educational Help)

Lucid 5.2.8 is still used in schools, teachers has to teach first, and not getting addict to puppy building (body-building, Puppy-building : is that correct ?)
Artful :
Rox_filer : as i prefer old version i pike it in USR/local/APPs from first Zesty and i poke it in the new Artfulpup.
Acces rights ate pushed out the window to get the column 'sizes' in better place.
Merci Charlie de m'avoir appris cette fonction Smile

Mozilla-Light : Version 47 is default browser In Stretch, YouTube as audio and video working well without americanos del sur had to touch Linux structure. JoseJP2424 did it for them before releasing 'Stretch' You see what i mean, i am sure (Not Google translated, translated by me only)
Support.jpg
 Description   Xenial : Help until 2021 (ubuntu flavour)
 Filesize   42.77 KB
 Viewed   414 Time(s)

Support.jpg

Last edited by hamoudoudou on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 17:52; edited 2 times in total
LateAdopter

PostPosted: Tue 24 Oct 2017, 04:30    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
Does anybody understand how Ubuntu works???
I'm no expert on this! But here's my understanding:
Ubuntu continually do bug fix and security fix updates their packages, but they don't change the original version numbers of the software. There are other parameters in the package name and contents that identify the updated versions, so that apt-get knowns it needs to install the updated version. That's why any instructions for installing packages starts with "apt-get update."

Puppy's "check dependencies of installed package" also detects the updates to the libs minor version numbers. So with Xenialpup64 I'm often prompted to get a lib which has had a security update, when I install another package. e.g. Vivaldi has forced an update to some nss libs when I updated to 1.12 for one of the recent CVEs

For major applications you are always stuck with the features that were current at the time that version of Ubuntu was released. They don't do rolling releases.

Ubuntu expect to validate everything that is in their repo's. It would be impossible to do that if things were continually having new features and bugs added.

If you want new features you get the packages from untrusted PPAs on Launchpad. So my remaster of Xenialpup64 is level with, or ahead of, Artful apart from the Xorg ABI version.

The OpenSSL changelog is here:http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/o/openssl/openssl_1.0.2g-1ubuntu13/changelog
You can see it's the 13th version of 1.0.2g
peebee

PostPosted: Tue 24 Oct 2017, 10:15    Post subject:  

+4 delta is available - PPM fix, get LO, getflash-dummy etc.
artsown

PostPosted: Tue 24 Oct 2017, 15:24    Post subject:  

fresh frugal of +4

Installed all my usual stuff, and used getflash OK. Looking good to me so
far.

Art
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Tue 24 Oct 2017, 18:04    Post subject: Ubuntu software  

"Ubuntu has also left Xorg behind, but has replaced it with the Wayland display server instead of its homegrown Mir display server. Wayland is used automatically on systems where it’s supported. Wayland is a modern replacement for Xorg developed by the Linux community as a whole, and will be used on a variety of Linux distributions—not just Ubuntu.
If you do need the Xorg display server for compatibility with certain software or hardware, it’s still there. Just click the cog on the login screen and select “Ubuntu on Xorg” before signing in.
" Unquote
Ubuntu switched from its homegrown Ubuntu Software Center to GNOME Software since Ubuntu 16.04,
News From the web for our puppy-builders forum who will deduce what can to be deduced
jrb

PostPosted: Tue 24 Oct 2017, 23:41    Post subject:  

Congratulations PeeBee!!! Both Zesty and Artful are awesome. Hmm, AwesomeArtfulPup. Very Happy

Everything has worked well for me on my HP7800 core2 with one small odd exception. I study a language on https://www.duolingo.com/ using a harddrive installed Palemoon. It works great in Zesty but the last word of each sentence gets cut short in Artful. Some people have reported this on the Duolingo forums but not in Linux. Just throwing this out there in case anybody knows what could cause this. The browser and "/root/.moonchild productions" config file are shared between Zesty and Artful so there is no difference there.

Anyway. Thanks and keep up the great work, J
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 25 Oct 2017, 03:18    Post subject:  

Artful 17.10.01++4

Pmusic-radio streamer

USA stations.
The list of stations has some of them with messed up names.

See image:
Screenshot(1).jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   48.66 KB
 Viewed   315 Time(s)

Screenshot(1).jpg

battleshooter

PostPosted: Wed 25 Oct 2017, 03:45    Post subject:  

Finally booted it up on my setup here, nice looking pup Peebee. Sound, internet, graphics all seem well on my taichi x370 board and ancient AMD RV770 graphics card.
belham2

PostPosted: Wed 25 Oct 2017, 04:02    Post subject:  

battleshooter wrote:
Finally booted it up on my setup here, nice looking pup Peebee. Sound, internet, graphics all seem well on my taichi x370 board and ancient AMD RV770 graphics card.

Shocked

Isn't that sort of like having a 2017 Corvette engine with a 1923 (in tech years) Model T transmission?? Wink
LateAdopter

PostPosted: Wed 25 Oct 2017, 04:05    Post subject:  

I have noticed that the ldconfig binary is missing. It's odd because ldd is there, and they come from the same package libc-bin.
The cache won't be updated when new packages are installed.
battleshooter

PostPosted: Wed 25 Oct 2017, 04:12    Post subject:  

belham wrote:
Shocked

Isn't that sort of like having a 2017 Corvette engine with a 1923 (in tech years) Model T transmission?? Wink

Crying or Very sad

Yes, updates are slow and sporadic Laughing

Page 18 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: