Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#381 Post by bigpup »

2nd issue is more problematic. Although my BIOS reports a full boat of RAM (8Gb) XP64 is only seeing 4Gb.
Again, what exact version of Xenialpup64?

In a console type:

Code: Select all

free
What does it report?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ally

#382 Post by ally »

I've been having problems with the hotkeys not working on my lenovo x230 (2325)

after much digging about I have found a workaround which fixes the volume and brightness keys but not the sleep

add the following to the kernel parameters:

Code: Select all

acpi_osi="!Windows 2012"
:)

belham2

#383 Post by belham2 »

Just wanted to post that if anyone needs a broadcom wireless wl.ko for latest Xenialpup64, Ozsouth just made & posted one here. It works. The thread & link:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 305#972305

belham2

is this project completely or permanently abandoned??

#384 Post by belham2 »

I looked through this thread and did not see it. So, am trying to understand why no one is posting about it and/or pointing to what they did. Is this project permanently abandoned or what? :cry:

I'm referring to the serious WPA2 KRACK attack problems. Peebee had his 32-bit updated/patched days ago, yet this 64-bit Xenial thread still sits bare & unresponsive (but yet Phil posts recently over there in Peebee's 32-bit threads...huh????)?

Please, Phil, can you say if Xenial64 is ABANDONED or not. :? Peebee is not doing 64-bit stuff yet, but jeez I hope so soon. Thus, our options for ubuntu-based pup-oriented 64-bit are very slim pickings here.

I am trying to compile/make the fixes for KRACK from here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wpa/2.4-0ubuntu6.2, but am not having luck so far. Also gave this a go: thought maybe I could just open PPM, and get the updated fixes from Ubuntu itself, but all that seemed to do was drag the exact same copies of wpa_supplicant & hostapd that Phil's Xenial had in the first place on my machine. I checked--- the dates and version from PPM does not match up to the KRACK fix date & version that have been pushed out by the Ubuntu repostitory---been pushed out for over 8 days now. So, apparrently, no luck there either.

Please, please, Peebee, can you maybe ditch one of the projects you're doing and pick up the 64-bit world? So we can get away from this seemingly abandoned stuff where we're left in the dark as to its "status"? It's not just the ease of Netflix, but many other programs that just do not run right in 32-bit world without jumping thru constant, ennervating hoops. Thanks for any consideration.

P.S. If anyone gets the wpa2 KRACK fixes up and working in their Xenialpup64, would appreciate any help and/or possibly an upload or .pet. Thank you much.

watchdog

#385 Post by watchdog »

Hi belham2. I do not use wifi with my laptop. But I found this link:

https://usn.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3455-1/

I think it can help. At:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/

The packages hostapd and wpasupplicant are already patched. I think that if you update lists of packages in your xenialpup64 then you can reinstall them in the patched version. They are still named as before but they are patched.

Sailor Enceladus

#386 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I heard recently that another update to Xenialpup64 will be built. I think the devx in 7.0.8.5 had a problem or maybe it was just me or a one-off. I would be nice if the version number in woof-CE would be in-sync with the latest iso when 7.0.8.6 or whatever it will be named comes out so others can build it too, but I think 7.0.8.5 was more of a "test" or "alpha" release or something, as mavrothal hinted at here. Maybe whatever issues it had are fixed in Woof-CE now.

mikeslr

WPA2 KRACK attack problems

#387 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks belham2 for reminding us of the problem. Thanks watchdog for suggesting the solution.

mikesLr

sszindian

New Version

#388 Post by sszindian »

Although not mentioned in the forum here, there is a new version at-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/xenialpup/

xenialpup64-7.0.8.6.iso 2017-Oct-25 07:06:59 322M application/octet-stream
xenialpup64-7.0.8.6.iso.md5.txt 2017-Oct-25 07:06:59 0.1K text/plain

I upgraded my 7.0.8.5 version with it and for sure it's an upgrade as my kernel now lists as a 4.9.58 and all is working very nice so far!

What else was upgraded, I have no idea... strange phil didn't say something here about it???

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

666philb

#389 Post by 666philb »

sorry for the delay :oops:

xenialpup64-7.0.8.6 uploaded.

jwm updated
palemoon updated
simplegtkradio added (had to butcher it a bit ..sorry dejan555 :D )
kernel updated to 4.9.58

built from the latest woofce and the latest ubuntu xenial libs so lots of bugs are fixed including the really annoying rox pinboard bug (thanks radky & ninaholic).
and wpasupplicant is patched
2017-10-16 - Marc Deslauriers <marc.deslauriers@ubuntu.com> wpa (2.4-0ubuntu6.2) xenial-security; urgency=medium * SECURITY UPDATE: Multiple issues in WPA protocol - debian/patches/2017-1/*.patch: Add patches from Debian stretch - CVE-2017-13077, CVE-2017-13078, CVE-2017-13079, CVE-2017-13080, CVE-2017-13081, CVE-2017-13082, CVE-2017-13086, CVE-2017-13087, CVE-2017-13088 * SECURITY UPDATE: Denial of service issues - debian/patches/2016-1/*.patch: Add patches from Debian stretch - CVE-2016-4476 - CVE-2016-4477 * This package does _not_ contain the changes from 2.4-0ubuntu6.1 in xenial-proposed.
xenialpup64 still seems a little eager to use the swap file, or maybe i just need to buy more ram.

i'll be updating xenialpup32, tahrpup64 & tahrpup32 in the coming weeks .. probably in that order and baring any big problems with this beta it'll become the 7.0.9 release.

link on first page

enjoy
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

artsown

#390 Post by artsown »

Good to see you back, Phil. 7.0.8.6 makes a good thing even better :)
We've been using 7.0.8.5 here daily. It's my all-time favorite pup.

Art

battleshooter

#391 Post by battleshooter »

666philb wrote:xenialpup64-7.0.8.6 uploaded.
:shock:

You're back Phil!

Woohoo!

Just want to say thank you for making such an awesome, adaptable, stable Pup :D I used XenialPup64 as a base for a Carolina like pupplet and I've been thrilled to see it work well with all the hardware we've been throwing at it for the last month or two.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

belham2

#392 Post by belham2 »

It's official: Phil is a sadist :lol: :lol: (j/k)

In between the almost overwhelming hustle & bustle of his young life, with the madness swirling around him (I cannot imagine being a youngin' in today's insane world), this young man somehow still finds time to puts out beautiful creations. Even giving them magical names, like the years ago bespoke "Unicorn 6", which personally I still am entranced and drawn by, and use.

These are creations that the Master knows we mere mortalpups will crave, will want, will wander like tail-wagging creatures towards. Wanton eagerly devour them, slurping them up like warm milk on a summer's cool night. Even the mythical Pelo or his new name Iamhamhahamadou (or whatever) will come, you watch.

These creations arise, at precise, almost magical moments. Right before we mortalpuppies feel like we are sinking below the water line of our own toilet bowel of stupidity, right before we think we are sure to go under. Right before, and this is key, that once again the master sadist appears.

Scythe in hand, the master peers his grinning head over that dog bowel rim, as our yapping is about to cease and we are flushed lifeless down the drain. With claws of loving malice, he throws us a new floatie-collar: XenialPup64-7.0.8.6, released 25 October 2017. And, then, we yapping puppies, look up, blinking. Can it be? Is it true?? Yes, it is.

We rise, like pups born of wing. We become dolphin-like, leaping in joy in our toilet bowel. Still, in the back our small mind, in some deep, unknowing crevice, we know full well at some future date we will sink ourselves again. That we are sure to go under. The eternal struggle, oh say ye all, which is to live in the mythical puppy murgaverse.

Gracias, Master Phil, for 7.0.8.6. And well done, young lad, very well done. I do believe that you are descendant of the great one (Houdini) himself.

peebee

#393 Post by peebee »

Hi phil

Just a quick observation on 7.0.8.6 - the minical displayed when the clock is clicked will not go away until the menu is clicked....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

musher0

#394 Post by musher0 »

Hi Phil.

It's good to see you back.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Terry H

#395 Post by Terry H »

belham2 wrote:It's official: Phil is a sadist :lol: :lol: (j/k)

In between the almost overwhelming hustle & bustle of his young life, with the madness swirling around him (I cannot imagine being a youngin' in today's insane world)....
There was movement on Murga, for the word had got around that the colt from old Wales had come around and rejoined the puppy kennel....

With apologies to the memory of A.B. "Banjo" Paterson. Read original here...

Welcome back Phil.
Last edited by Terry H on Fri 27 Oct 2017, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#396 Post by bigpup »

Welcome back 666philb :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

We need more people like you involved in Puppy!!!!!

Hope you can do something about this issue.

DistroWatch is really lacking in any kind of updated info on any of the latest versions of Puppy.
I do not know if you consider Xenialpup a final release version.
I have been using Xenialpup64 7.0.8.5 as my primary Puppy since you released it.
If you did not do something really strange, to mess it up, with version 7.0.8.6.
I would call Xeialpup7.0.8.6 final release version.

If nothing else, DistroWatch needs to have some info on new versions of Puppy.

I know, in the past, Barry always did the DistroWatch Puppy info.
He is no longer around.
01micko should be doing it. He is the Puppy master, now!
It seems the only way DistroWatch is going to get any new Puppy info is for a Puppy version developer to submit it to DistroWatch!!!
YaPI(any iso installer)

belham2

#397 Post by belham2 »

bigpup wrote:Welcome back 666philb :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hey, bigpup, that's like...one, two, three....six....eight...ten......SIXTEEN smiley faces!

:shock:

Are you ok?

I mean, you have never posted a smiley face in all the years I've known you here.

Cripes, my old heart cannot take these past 24 hours. First Phil appears back in Xenial world, with a new release no less, and now I find bigpup is gushing with love & flowers all over the place. Next thing I know, Trump & Kim Jong-un are going to be bromancing on Twitter.

Hey, God, uhmmmm, you up there? Am I dead & you're just messing with me?? :roll:

bigpup

#398 Post by bigpup »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Watch out.
belham2 is going to have the big one!!! :lol: :lol:
YaPI(any iso installer)

backi

#399 Post by backi »

Hi !
.......In between the almost overwhelming hustle & bustle of his young life, with the madness swirling around him (I cannot imagine being a youngin' in today's insane world), this young man somehow still finds time to puts out beautiful creations. Even giving them magical names, like the years ago bespoke "Unicorn 6", which personally I still am entranced and drawn by, and use.

These are creations that the Master knows we mere mortalpups will crave, will want, will wander like tail-wagging creatures towards. Wanton eagerly devour them, slurping them up like warm milk on a summer's cool night. Even the mythical Pelo or his new name Iamhamhahamadou (or whatever) will come, you watch.

These creations arise, at precise, almost magical moments. Right before we mortalpuppies feel like we are sinking below the water line of our own toilet bowel of stupidity, right before we think we are sure to go under. Right before, and this is key, that once again the master sadist appears.

Scythe in hand, the master peers his grinning head over that dog bowel rim, as our yapping is about to cease and we are flushed lifeless down the drain. With claws of loving malice, he throws us a new floatie-collar: XenialPup64-7.0.8.6, released 25 October 2017. And, then, we yapping puppies, look up, blinking. Can it be? Is it true?? Yes, it is.

We rise, like pups born of wing. We become dolphin-like, leaping in joy in our toilet bowel. Still, in the back our small mind, in some deep, unknowing crevice, we know full well at some future date we will sink ourselves again. That we are sure to go under. The eternal struggle, oh say ye all, which is to live in the mythical puppy murgaverse.

Belham=Shakespeare reincarnated ?.....Who really knows........

I dont`t use Xenial 64 (Just have a 32bit machine).....nevertheless..... what an epic Ode ..made my day....

bigpup

#400 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup64 7.0.8.6
Frugal
Save folder.

I can live with this and have been for some time.
Just wonder why it is required in Xenialpup.

Video card Nvidia GeForce GTX 970.

Initial first boot, have to use nouveau.modeset=0 to get to visible desktop.

In testing Zestypup and Artfulpup this is not needed.
They initially boot to a working desktop. No added options needed.

Something you may want to look into.
YaPI(any iso installer)