Puppy for an atom processor?

Booting, installing, newbie
whitroth

Puppy for an atom processor?

#1 Post by whitroth »

Ok, folks, googling for something to replace the way out-of-date Ubunto netbook remix on my old HP netbook, I keep seeing puppy recommended, but mousing around the site, I cannot find any reference to a release for a 32-bit atom processor. Pointers, please?

Gordie

#2 Post by Gordie »

Download and try. It isn't like there is a real cost involved. I had a couple that worked but can't remember which ones now. I sold that little computer with Slacko64 on it. It ran OK like that.

I had Slackware64 on it but you can't sell like that. Puppy appeals to the masses even though they know as little about it as they do Slackware so I put Slacko64 on it.
Last edited by Gordie on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#3 Post by ally »

hey w

try tahrpup, good and solid

http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... .5_PAE.iso

do a frugal install

:)

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

+1
Tahrpup 6.0.5 is a good one for someone new to Puppy.

If it is an Atom processor that only supports 32 bit.
Any of the 32bit versions of Puppy should work.
Any Puppy version having a name that does not have 64 in it.

The computers other specs, may be an issue for what is best to use.
But, we do not have that information!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

Well, if its a netbook from say 2008 -2010, this ones a good start.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

JFB

#6 Post by JFB »

I'm new to Puppy, so I cannot give any definitive advice, but Tahrpup 6.0.5, 32 bit, is working well on my 2008 Acer Aspire 1 with an Atom processor; much better than Bohdi or AntiX did...

peterw

Acer Aspire One

#7 Post by peterw »

Just powered up my Ascer Aspire One to see what is loaded on it. There is two versions of Slacko in frugal installs and Mint 18. I usually dual (multi) boot my machines so that for most activities I can use Puppy but on occasions when I need features that Puppy doesn't have then I have an alternative solution. Of course, as mentioned above, the Atom processors only work with 32 bit operating systems. I have to say Puppy still works well on the machine.

EDIT. If you want to run a full Distro as well as Puppy use one with a low Window resource needs such as xfce.

Gordie

#8 Post by Gordie »

Some Atoms run 64-bit. Mine did.. Just try and rind out. Not like there is a huge price.

EDIT - Assuming Puppy has this. Most Linux does.

Code: Select all

lscpu
EDIT - Try this. Works in Slacko64

cat /proc/cpuinfo
Last edited by Gordie on Fri 27 Oct 2017, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

#9 Post by 8Geee »

Puppy has PupSysInfo (PSI) that can ID the cpu if lscpu does not work..

Newer Atom cpu's are 64-bit but the first few editions are 32-bit non-PAE.
Wikipedia will solve ID as 32/64 bit.
The poster with an Acer Aspire One as described is 32-bit non-PAE.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

anikin

#10 Post by anikin »

Run this in the terminal:

grep --color=always -iw lm /proc/cpuinfo
If this command returns lm (Long Mode) as one of the flags, then your processor is 64-bit. No output means your processor is 32-bit.

Most of the early netbooks had Intel Atom n270, which is 32-bit. However, some later models had Intel Atom n450 - a 64-bit processor. And to the best of my knowledge all Atom CPUs are PAE. Run this to find out if your CPU is PAE capable:

grep --color=always -i PAE /proc/cpuinfo

mikeslr

musher0's xenialPup-7.0.6 32-bits is worth a try

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi whitroth,

"Base" Puppies --those built/woofed from Slackware and Ubuntu binaries in the last 3-4 years-- pretty much run on anything. I don't recall anyone posting about Atom processors posing a problem. Depending on the computer on which they are run sometimes one Puppy could provide superior sound or graphics; sometimes another. Puppies are free. And a Frugal install does not require an entire partition; all it needs is its own folder. [Frugal does not mean 'cut-down, limited'. It only means it permits you to frugally use a partition]. Consequently, the question isn't which Puppy will run, but which is best for your computer and your computing needs. In short, try several.

To the couple which have been mentioned, I'd add musher0's xenialPup-7.0.6 32-bits, available from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 619#971619. Although it is based on XenialPup which has had a couple years to iron out any problems, it was only published a couple of days ago. roadkill13 reports that it is "running quite well" on his EEEPC 901 which uses a "Single core Intel Atom N270".

If it meshes well with your computer and needs, it could provide a couple advantages over those Puppies previously mentioned: the latest software and security patches are already included; and musher0's keen interest in offering a choices in window managers.

mikesLr