Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 05:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How do I get rid of an un-wanted residual os?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
JFB

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct 2017, 23:47    Post subject:  How do I get rid of an un-wanted residual os?  

I recently did a Tahrpup 6.0.5 Frugal install on a netbook that previously had Lubuntu installed. The problem is that Lubuntu is still there. Lubuntu shows up on the grub4, and, if clicked, it will still run. My question is: what do I need to do to get rid of Lubuntu? I suspect that I will have to re-install Puppy and use GParted to redo the hard drive partitions (which I don't know how to do anyway), but I'm not sure... Any advice will be greatly appreciated...
Robert123

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2017, 01:14    Post subject:  

Welcome JFB to the forums.

Yes it sounds like you will need to use gparted
https://gparted.sourceforge.io/

perdido

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2017, 02:31    Post subject: Re: How do I get rid of an un-wanted residual os?  

JFB wrote:
I recently did a Tahrpup 6.0.5 Frugal install on a netbook that previously had Lubuntu installed. The problem is that Lubuntu is still there. Lubuntu shows up on the grub4, and, if clicked, it will still run. My question is: what do I need to do to get rid of Lubuntu? I suspect that I will have to re-install Puppy and use GParted to redo the hard drive partitions (which I don't know how to do anyway), but I'm not sure... Any advice will be greatly appreciated...

HI JFB, mind answering a few questions to help deciding which direction to take with this?

You mentioned partitions, is there more than one partition?

Is your tahrpup on the same partition as lubuntu?

Was this once a windows computer?

Are you trying to eliminate lubuntu from the computer or just not have it show up in the boot menu?

And most importantly, do you have data on the hard drive partitions that you need to back-up?

JFB

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2017, 14:46    Post subject:  

Quote:
HI JFB, mind answering a few questions to help deciding which direction to take with this?
You mentioned partitions, is there more than one partition?
Is your tahrpup on the same partition as lubuntu?
Was this once a windows computer?
Are you trying to eliminate lubuntu from the computer or just not have it show up in the boot menu?
And most importantly, do you have data on the hard drive partitions that you need to back-up?

As far as I can tell, there is a (one) main partition: /dev/sda1
and a partition containing a swap partition: /dev/sda2 > /dev/sda5.

I'm assuming that Tahrpup is on the same (main) partition as Lubuntu.

The netbook is a 2008 Acer Aspire 1, 32 bit, Atom processor, that once ran Windows XP.

I want to completely eliminate Lubuntu (and any other residual os data) from the system.

NO, at the moment, I do not have any data on the hard drive that I need to backup/save.

I've only been messing around with Tahrpup 6.0.5 for a week or so; it's the first Puppy that I've ever used; but I can tell that I like it and want it. I have Tahrpup as a Full install on another old laptop. Full was easy to install, and I really like it, but the consensus seems to be that Puppy should be installed as Frugal. So thats where I am...
Keef

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2017, 14:57    Post subject:  

If you did a frugal, all your Puppy files should be in one folder - probably named Tahrpup or similar (just a wild guess).
You can delete the rest apart from menu.lst and grldr which are needed for booting.
Robert123

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2017, 15:13    Post subject:  

Yep if frugal go with Keef as the folder will have save folder/file and everything in it.
JFB

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct 2017, 03:13    Post subject:  

I got it! I re-installed Tahrpup, and during the install process, I used GParted to delete the existing partition and created a new, clean partition. I then did a successful Frugal install. I watched a bit of YouTube to learn the basics of GParted, and I found mention on this forum about how to make the partition bootable. Thanks everyone for your input. Now I'll have a chance to find out why a Frugal install is superior to a Full install...
Robert123

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct 2017, 03:35    Post subject:  

Cool JFB. Sneekylinux on youtube has done some good Puppy stuff over the years.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct 2017, 09:19    Post subject:  

What format did you make the partition?

That makes a difference on how Puppy works.

JFB

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct 2017, 22:03    Post subject:  

I formated the partition as ext4.

Today I realized that I do not have a swap partition/file. Does that make a difference? Should I have a swap file? Everything seems to be working well...
Gordie

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct 2017, 22:46    Post subject:  

How much RAM you got?

I have 8 Gig RAM and don't have a swapfile or partition. Don't need it. I used to make a swap partition but the "free" command always showed no swap used. Actually free always showed lots of RAM to spare.

For your atom processor you need swap at least 1.5 x your RAM size
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: