tahr 6.05 32 bit software

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
ndujoe1

tahr 6.05 32 bit software

#1 Post by ndujoe1 »

Since 32 bit software it is support is a dwindling model I guess.

What browser is bit to use that will passably remain current and up to date.

Google has suspended work on their 32 bit version.

Thanks.

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi ndujoe1,

First off, you should have posted questions about tahr 6.0.5 to the tahr 6.0.5 thread, because that is where people familiar with it look to keep up to date.

Mostly, these days I run Xenial. But, AFAIK, google's decision has little effect on the firefox "family" of browsers: firefox, light, seamonkey, palemoon.

I haven't updated tahrpup 6.0.5's 'google-chrome' clone recently and am not running it now. I have a note in its folder that it runs slimjet-14.0.1.0-i686.sfs. But I see reports that versions 15.0.2.0 thru 15.1.5.0 are running well. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 916#960916. Slimjet is one of the google-chrome clones. So are Iron, Vivaldi and Chromium. Personally, I like Iron. It is far more likely that if a recent version of slimjet works, so will recent versions of the other clones. Suggest that you take the time to read the latest posts on their respective threads, especially as some may require a little bit of work beyond downloading and loading.

mikesLr

Limbomusic

yeh

#3 Post by Limbomusic »

Slimjet is my favorite. Which I mirrored here: http://helledussen.com/linux/pets/Brows ... 0-i686.sfs

ally

#4 Post by ally »

I recently reinstalled windows on my laptop, downloaded the 8.1 ISO from microsoft, was pleasantly surprised how well it installed (and I loathe windows)

first job was to ditch edge and install chrome, no problem, was also surprised to find the latest build but still 32 bit

confused why they produce a windows 32 bit and not a linux especially since android is a *nix system

sadly though after installing chrome the install is 32GB big!!

:)

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

ally wrote:I recently reinstalled windows on my laptop, downloaded the 8.1 ISO from microsoft, was pleasantly surprised how well it installed (and I loathe windows)

first job was to ditch edge and install chrome, no problem, was also surprised to find the latest build but still 32 bit

confused why they produce a windows 32 bit and not a linux especially since android is a *nix system

sadly though after installing chrome the install is 32GB big!!

:)
Because they can, I guess.

Linux, although increasing its market share daily, is still a very small player in the desktop marketplace. As we're all aware.

Google have been pushing the benefits of 64-bit for quite a while now. I could link you to countless posts and blogs detailing their efforts in this respect.....but I won't, because a quick Google or DuckDuckGo search will bring 'em up for you.

In the case of Linux's small market share, they obviously feel they can comfortably dictate terms without feeling the effects of any backlash. I'm sure they'd like to do the same for the MyCrudSoft 'ecosphere', but since M$ is more than a match for them in terms of market-place 'clout', I suspect they've 'drawn their horns in', and decided to bide their time.....

I rather think 64-bit will eventually dominate completely. Entropy will fulfill Google's desires for them.

----------------------------

@ndujoe:-

I agree with Mike about the Chromium clones.....SlimJet and Iron especially. It's the best way I know of to obtain a relatively up-to-date 32-bit version of Chrome, without the need to upgrade everything to 64-bit. Iron in particular, since it even looks identical to Chrome; SlimJet's interface is noticeably different, although in many respects it's a superior browser.

'You pays your money, and takes your pick...'

Mike. :wink: