Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mavrothal

#461 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote: - up-arrow key being interpreted as printscreen (keypad "8" with num-lock off is up-arrow)
If that's an openbox pup is because of the relevant code in /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml Is in all LxPups.
Comment out that block or change keybinding key to other that "0x6F" (check the code that a keyboard with print screen button emits)
peebee wrote: - PPM uninstall has to be set to "Classic step by step" otherwise doesn't work
Uncomment line 3 of /usr/local/petget/removemodes.sh and see what to log has (check log before you OK the failed message window)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

belham2

#462 Post by belham2 »

peebee wrote:If anyone would like to help with ZestyPup - please send me a PM for a link to the .iso.....

There are 3 problems I need to solve before wider exposure....

- up-arrow key being interpreted as printscreen (keypad "8" with num-lock off is up-arrow)

- PPM uninstall has to be set to "Classic step by step" otherwise doesn't work

- (less important) windows buttons not maccish on 1st boot - change correctly if theme is changed to something else and then back to Zesty

Cheers
peebee

Peebee,

This is just not a problem in Xenial, but also in your LxPupSc. I posted about it (and fixed it) the other day. Keys are mapped to specifc locations, and you can do what marvothal says (which I tried and does work), or you can fix it a better way by assigning the keys (i.e. 0x6F) on the keyboard to their correct "execute" functions. Best of luck, Zesty sounds like it is going to be nice!

peebee

#463 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:If that's an openbox pup is because of the relevant code
Sadly no - ZestyPup is a traditional JWM / Roxfiler pup so no openbox....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#464 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:Uncomment line 3 of /usr/local/petget/removemodes.sh and see what to log has (check log before you OK the failed message window)
Thanks - that tells me what's wrong.....
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mavrothal

#465 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote:
mavrothal wrote:If that's an openbox pup is because of the relevant code
Sadly no - ZestyPup is a traditional JWM / Roxfiler pup so no openbox....
Look at .jwmrc and .jwmrc-personal or sven key_config if installed.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

666philb

#466 Post by 666philb »

sorry for the delay

xenialpup-7.0.8.6 uploaded.

jwm updated
palemoon updated
simplegtkradio added (had to butcher it a bit ..sorry dejan555 :) )
mpv replaces vlc as the new vlc has real problems with some nvidia cards
qt5 removed
qt4 added
various other packages updated
kernel now 4.4.95

built from the latest woofce and the latest ubuntu xenial libs so lots of bugs are fixed including the really annoying rox pinboard bug (thanks radky & ninaholic).
and wpasupplicant is patched
Quote:
2017-10-16 - Marc Deslauriers <marc.deslauriers@ubuntu.com> wpa (2.4-0ubuntu6.2) xenial-security; urgency=medium * SECURITY UPDATE: Multiple issues in WPA protocol - debian/patches/2017-1/*.patch: Add patches from Debian stretch - CVE-2017-13077, CVE-2017-13078, CVE-2017-13079, CVE-2017-13080, CVE-2017-13081, CVE-2017-13082, CVE-2017-13086, CVE-2017-13087, CVE-2017-13088 * SECURITY UPDATE: Denial of service issues - debian/patches/2016-1/*.patch: Add patches from Debian stretch - CVE-2016-4476 - CVE-2016-4477 * This package does _not_ contain the changes from 2.4-0ubuntu6.1 in xenial-proposed.

link on first page

enjoy
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

melon688

#467 Post by melon688 »

Xenialpup 7.0.8.6, Xenialpup64 7.0.8.6

Dell 1535 laptop (BCM4312 wireless chip),
Frisbee wireless setup OK,and working good.
Thanks

mavrothal

#468 Post by mavrothal »

Tried it on an old laptop (pentium M, intel video and wireless - circa 2005) and everything looks ok. Video, sound, wifi, touchpad etc.
However, it fail to detect that is a laptop so battery monitor did not autostart. OK after manually moving it to active. Also mpcputemp did not autostart although is in the startup folder. After manually starting it the first time was fine.
It would appear that monitor backlight control is nowhere to be found although other backlight functions are there (turnoff on lid closure, adjust when on AC).
Not sure if the kernel is too new or is udev or firmwere or acpi or...

Sailor Enceladus

#469 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

mavrothal wrote:Also mpcputemp did not autostart although is in the startup folder. After manually starting it the first time was fine.
For me it's the same. CPU temperature does not show on first boot or 2nd boot (just a blank empty space in taskbar) but shows up 3rd boot and after. I think it has something to do with needing to restart X after "something" happens but didn't look at it in more detail yet. Xenialpup taught me that my Pentium M's laptop fan usually comes on louder at ~70° to send the temperature down, and when I turn it on it's at about 35° then fluctuates between 42-72° depending on what I'm doing. Very interesting to watch :)

mavrothal

#470 Post by mavrothal »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:CPU temperature does not show on first boot or 2nd boot (just a blank empty space in taskbar) but shows up 3rd boot and after.
The app will not run if the pmcputemprun file is not present. Is generated in first boot.
Then the xenial version will not display if the the pmcputemprc file is not present. Is generated in the second boot (or X-restart)
On 3rd boot everything is in place.

To solve the first boot needs tinkering with the ISO/pup sfs.
To solve 2nd boot issue try the attached pet that was compiled in xenial from source.

To reproduce the problem and/or test "solution", exit to prompt, remove the /root/.config/pmcputemp directory and start X
Attachments
pmcputemp_xenial-1.pet
Binary only. MUST have a &quot;full&quot; pmcputemp-&lt;VER&gt;.pet already installed for this to work.
(7.74 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

recobayu

#471 Post by recobayu »

I can not connect to internet using this version. When I click connect icon in desktop, there are just frisbee that appear in Network Connection Wizard. I do not see Simple Network Setup and Network Wizard. And when I choose Frisbee, nothing wifi I see in Scan results for wlan0. But I do not have problem when use 7.0.8.1 version.
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
this is when i use 7.0.8.1 version (rename .gz first)
(91.37 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

peebee

#472 Post by peebee »

666philb wrote:xenialpup-7.0.8.6 uploaded.
built from the latest woofce and the latest ubuntu xenial libs
Hi 666philb

Thanks for this update....

The following lines are probably missing from your
/support/rootfs-packages.conf

Code: Select all

network_wizard="true"
simple_network_setup="true"
Your DISTRO_SPECS has wrong
BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;61d7002;2015-11-03 06:44:22 +1000'

This line needs to be deleted before running ./merge2out....

Cheers
peebee

rerwin

#473 Post by rerwin »

recobayu wrote:I can not connect to internet using this version. When I click connect icon in desktop, there are just frisbee that appear in Network Connection Wizard. I do not see Simple Network Setup and Network Wizard. And when I choose Frisbee, nothing wifi I see in Scan results for wlan0. But I do not have problem when use 7.0.8.1 version.
You need wifi driver ath9k, which is missing from 7.0.8.6 (32-bit) even though it is present in the 64-bit version. Ethernet driver ath5k is also missing.

backi

#474 Post by backi »

Hi !
Xenial Pup 6.0.6 does not show my external usb-harddisk formatted Fat32 when inserted ......pmount also does not. Gparted does .

Tahrpup 6.0.5 does show and mount that Drive .......also Xenial Dog .
Is there somethings missing ....Drivers ---Programms which is included in Tahrpup 6.0.5 and Xenial Dog which is not included in Xenial Pup 7.0.8?

Thanks in advance !

jrb

#475 Post by jrb »

backi wrote:Hi !
Xenial Pup 6.0.6 does not show my external usb-harddisk formatted Fat32 when inserted ......pmount also does not. Gparted does .

Tahrpup 6.0.5 does show and mount that Drive .......also Xenial Dog .
Is there somethings missing ....Drivers ---Programms which is included in Tahrpup 6.0.5 and Xenial Dog which is not included in Xenial Pup 7.0.8?

Thanks in advance !
I had trouble the other day with a usbflashdrive that pmount and the desktop drive icons wouldn't show. It was fat32 but formatted without a partition, just "sdb" not "sdb1". I mounted it from a terminal:

mkdir /mnt/sdb
mount /dev/sdb /mnt/sdb
rox /mnt/sdb
See what Gparted calls it and then try the above.

backi

#476 Post by backi »

Hi jrb !
Same as you:
I had trouble the other day with a usbflashdrive that pmount and the desktop drive icons wouldn't show. It was fat32 but formatted without a partition, just "sdb" not "sdb1".
The same happens with Tahrpup 6.06 . But Tahrpup 6.0.5 shows Drive Icons automatically ....and so pmount does in Tahrpup 6.0.5 ..........also Xenial Dog .

Gparted shows :
/dev/sdc Fat32

Can not be mounted with Gparted .

Cause i am running Xenial Pup from Usb-Stick (which is sdb1) I put in Terminal:

mkdir /mnt/sdc
mount /dev/sdc /mnt/sdc
rox /mnt/sdc

so it does mount but is not shown as Drive Icon .....also not shown in Pmount .

But what lets Tahrpup 6.0.5 or Xenial Dog show up automatically my External Harddrive formatted Fat32 when inserted ....
What could be the missing ingredient in Xenial Pup and Tahrpup 6.0.6 ?

Regards!

mavrothal

#477 Post by mavrothal »

backi wrote:Gparted shows :
/dev/sdc Fat32

Can not be mounted with Gparted .
I do not know how that stick was made but it has no partition table and and no partition(s). Unless you add a partition table (with gparted) gparted can not work with it.
Puppy utilities that show partitions also will not work with it.
I think that the difference with older puppies/dogs is the use an older probepart script. You can run "probepart -k" in the different puppies and see if indeed this is the case.

Depending on your point of view you may see the difference as a bug or a feature but it would be better to have a properly formatted stick with a partition table and partition(s).
Alternatively if indeed probepart is the reason, you may want to modify it to your liking and suggest the change.

backi

#478 Post by backi »

Thanks Mavrothal for quick reply .

Yes indeed you are right......tested probepart -k in Tahrpup 6.0.5 and it shows my external HardDrive /dev/sdc|vfat|976762584 -------while it does not on Xenial Pup and Tahrpup 6.0.6

One Question maybe naive ......where to find this (older?) probepart .....and then copy it over to Xenial Pup or Tahrpup 6.0.6 .......possible ?
Another question ....can i add now a partition table afterwards to my extern Hardrive without loosing my Data ?
Regards !

jrb

#479 Post by jrb »

backi wrote:where to find this (older?) probepart

which probepart
gives:

/sbin/probepart
You should be able to just copy it from Tahr-6.0.5.

Cheers, J

backi

#480 Post by backi »

Hi all !
Did copy over pobepart from Tahrpup 6.0.5 ....

DID HELP !!! Thanks