Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mavrothal

#761 Post by mavrothal »

rcrsn51 wrote:CPUtemp is a front-end for lm-sensors and cpufrequtils.
Apologies if this is dog/debian-only app (or derailing from the subject of this thread), but on XenialPup64 "sensors -A" output can be long and cryptic (depending on the hardware).
You might want to provide a "basic" (with something like "sensors -A | grep -i core" or "grep -v ^T" or..) and a "full" info output
Attachments
CPUtemp.png
(27.49 KiB) Downloaded 879 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rcrsn51

#762 Post by rcrsn51 »

Try this: modify line 81 to

Code: Select all

sensors -A coretemp-isa-0000 ...

mavrothal

#763 Post by mavrothal »

rcrsn51 wrote:Try this: modify line 81 to

sensors -A coretemp-isa-0000 ...
This would work too. Is it generic?
(as my point was not about my specific case)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rcrsn51

#764 Post by rcrsn51 »

Different machines have different chipsets. It's impossible to know in advance which ones a user might want to filter out.

mavrothal

#765 Post by mavrothal »

rcrsn51 wrote:Different machines have different chipsets. It's impossible to know in advance which ones a user might want to filter out.
Thus the suggested grep commands.
Or if you want to know the chipset driver instead, you may try

ISA=$(sensors | grep -B 4 Core| grep 'isa-') # add more as needed
sensors -A $ISA
But these may be beyond the goals of this application.

rcrsn51

#766 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyClock manages your system clock - date, time and zone.

Debian likes to run in UTC mode - it synchronizes its clock with Greenwich, England. Check the file /etc/adjtime to see the current mode. Use the Mode button for quick access to this file.

If you want to stick with UTC, here is the setup.

1. Google "current time greenwich england"

2. Run PeasyClock.

3. The initial time zone is Etc/UTC. Set your own time zone. Refresh.

4. Set your current local date and time. Note: Sometimes, the tray clock won't sync up until the next reboot.

Important: Stretch auto-updates the BIOS clock at the end of a session, so it's essential that you have the zone and local time set correctly in PeasyClock BEFORE you quit. You do NOT need to run "Update hardware clock".

5. Reboot. Open the BIOS and check the hardware clock. It should be set to Greenwich time!

6. The Stretch tray clock will show your local time. It takes the hardware UTC time and adjusts it using your time zone.

Note to Puppy users: Puppy works in LOCAL mode by default (you can switch it to UTC) and stores the setting in /etc/clock. It does NOT auto-update the BIOS clock at shutdown. But if the clock already has the correct time for your mode, you do NOT need to change it. See below.

-----------------------------

If you are sharing your machine with Windows or Puppy, local time is the preferred choice. Other OS's don't know that the clock is set to Greenwich time!

1. In /etc/adjtime, change UTC to LOCAL.

2. Set your own time zone. Refresh.

3. Set your date and time. See the Important note above.

4. Reboot. Open the BIOS and check the clock. It should now be your own local time.

5. The Stretch tray clock will show your local time and PeasyClock will show the correct zone.

Read here for more examples.

--------------------------

Updates: Version 1.4 has several additions.

1. The Time Zone list now contains the default zone Etc/UTC.

2. The BIOS button displays the actual current value of the hardware clock regardless of your mode. So you don't need to boot into the BIOS to check it.

3. The Now button shows you the current time at any location selected from the Time Zone list. (You don't need to set the zone first.)

4. You can optionally set the date/time from an NTP server. On a Puppy system, you would then update the hardware clock in local mode.

-------------------

PeasyClock is now in Fred's repo. It installs in the System menu.
-----------------------
Attachments
snappie.png
(22.14 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 14:10, edited 34 times in total.

zagreb999

tzclock_3.0.6-1_i386.deb

#767 Post by zagreb999 »

REGARDS

TIME, ZONE, CLOCK

BETTER, THE BEST IS
tzclock_3.0.6-1_i386.deb

IT WORKS PERFECTLY

rcrsn51

Re: tzclock_3.0.6-1_i386.deb

#768 Post by rcrsn51 »

zagreb999 wrote:BETTER, THE BEST IS tzclock_3.0.6-1_i386.deb
How do you know? You haven't even bothered to try PeasyClock yet.

fredx181

#769 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:PeasyClock manages your system clock - date, time and zone. Read the Help for information about UTC versus local time modes.
Very good! I tested using the local time setup. I always used in Debian for setting up timezone "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata", but it doesn't give the option to change the time, so I had to change (to localtime) in the BIOS, your program has that option, so no need to go in the BIOS.
Added to repositories and added link to your post in useful info section at first post.
EDIT: Also added your cputemp package to repos, very nice also, thanks!

@zagreb999 Can you please stop posting discouraging comments ?

Fred

rcrsn51

#770 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. I just now posted a new version (still 1.0) with online help.

It took a while to figure this out. It looks like the hwclock tool automatically updates /etc/adjtime depending on which mode you pick to set the hardware clock.

I originally started this project for Puppy, which scatters date/time/zone functions over several applets.

fredx181

#771 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Bill, OK, replaced older peasyclock with your new version in repos.

Tested again now (fresh Stretch-Live install) with localtime setup, but didn't edit /etc/adjtime (so kept as UTC) and all worked as expected after configuring peasyclock ,(after reboot it was changed to LOCAL in /etc/adjtime)
So it seems to me that this, what you wrote, is not needed ?
1. In /etc/adjtime, change UTC to LOCAL
Fred

rcrsn51

#772 Post by rcrsn51 »

If your hardware clock currently has the correct local time and you don't want to update it with PeasyClock, you would need to manually change /etc/adjtime. (I think).

Otherwise, Stretch would assume that the hardware clock time was actually UTC and it would display your local time incorrectly.

fredx181

#773 Post by fredx181 »

Ok, did manually change to LOCAL in /etc/adjtime now. Then, If I change timezone in peasyclock and do refresh, the time changes to one hour later, if I keep it like that, and reboot, my hardware clock is wrong set, so changing the time in peasyclock to the correct (local) time is absolutely necessary anyway, I think, no matter if I edited /etc/adjtime or not.
But perhaps I misunderstood what you mean.

Fred

rcrsn51

#774 Post by rcrsn51 »

This gets confusing, doesn't it? I guess that's why Debian likes to leave the hardware clock as UTC and handle all changes through the time zone selection.

Here is what I tried.

1. I set the BIOS clock to my own local time, as if it were a Windows machine.

2. I boot a clean install of Stretch.

3. I install PeasyClock.

4. The initial, default timezone is Etc/UTC and the tray clock has my correct local time. That's because Stretch assumes that I am currently in Greenwich and it doesn't need to adjust the time.

5. I change the time zone to Canada/Eastern and refresh. The time is now wrong by 4 hours (5 time zones minus daylight savings).

6. I set the time correctly JUST for the purposes of this session.

7. I do NOT update the hardware clock, because I know that it contains my correct local time.

8. I manually update /etc/adjtime to LOCAL.

9. I reboot. The tray clock time is correct. Because I am in local mode, Stretch doesn't need to adjust it for the time zone.

10. When I run the "date" command, it shows my correct time and the correct EDT time zone.

----------------------

In your example, it sounds like the BIOS clock was previous set to Greenwich, so your time zone change to Holland put the local time one hour off.

In that case, you would definitely need to update the hardware clock to Holland time.

[Edit] Apparently, if you are in LOCAL mode and make a time zone change, Stretch will sometimes automatically adjust the BIOS clock for you to the new zone. Which would mess up your Windows time.

Now I am really confused.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#775 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:This gets confusing, doesn't it?
Well, not very much, I think.
All I tried to mention is that manually editing /etc/adjtime to set to LOCAL may be not needed at all (although it does not harm of course), configuring your program the right way does it all from what I tested.
But not sure, I'll do some more testing tomorrow (getting late here now)

Fred

dancytron

#776 Post by dancytron »

FWIW, I changed me etc/adjtime to local, set my timezone (U.S. Central), then installed ntp.

On reboot, everything was correct and it coexisted with Windows XP without an issue.

Maybe it is the order that you do things that matters (i.e. set hardware clock to correct value last).

My notes:
12. /etc/adjtime from UTC to LOCAL. Set timezone to central. save2flash
13. Reboot. Time is wrong.
root@live:~# dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Current default time zone: 'America/Chicago'
Local time is now: Fri Oct 13 11:51:20 CDT 2017.
Universal Time is now: Fri Oct 13 16:51:20 UTC 2017.

apt-get install ntp
Now time is correct.
root@live:~# date
Fri Oct 13 16:47:59 CDT 2017

rcrsn51

#777 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. Could you try the following?

1. Imagine you fly to LA.
2. You open your laptop and set the new time zone.
3. Does ntp automatically fix the local time?
4. Check the BIOS. Has its clock changed?
5. Run XP. What does it know? The new time? The new zone?
6. If you need to update the XP time and zone, that should also change the BIOS. How does that affect your Stretch setup?

dancytron

#778 Post by dancytron »

Do you want me to use your application or the default "setup timezone?"

rcrsn51

#779 Post by rcrsn51 »

It shouldn't matter. All the timezone setup does (I think) is make a link from /etc/localtime into /usr/share/zoneinfo.

AndresC2

#780 Post by AndresC2 »

Hi All

this work for me.

in debian stretch script I add.

#Setup Timezone

echo "America/Caracas" > /etc/timezone

build debian stretch iso.

and now not change my bios time anymore.