woof-CE needs you

News, happenings
sc0ttman

getting updates pkgs in petget

#1141 Post by sc0ttman »

Further to the above,

Possible bug in petget/0setup:

I'm using a pretty bog standard Slacko 6.9.x build..

I'm trying to get Slacko to install wpa_supplicant 2.6, which has fixes against a big security problem in wifi (as far as I understand it)...

This wpa_supplicant 2.6 is in the Slackware patches repo.

The 0setup script, used in Woof and Petget, merges the latest pkgs from the "Slackware patches" into
the main *-official repo files, when updating/building Puppys repo files... (as I understand it)..

That's pretty cool, hat's off :)

However, while Petget successfully lists wpa_supplicant 2.6 in the repo after an update, it wrongly shows (ALREADY INSTALLED)..
Cos I actually only have 2.5 installed..

Even worse, trying to install any new pkgs added from the patches repo (and merged into "Packages-slackware14.2-official" in Petget) fails..
It says "missing libraries".. Even if I download them in the browser and ldd them (none missing)..

Anyone else have (or can anyone reproduce) the same problem?

(I'm well aware I don't understand Woof very well, so don't wanna just start logging spurious Github issues, so am asking here if I have this all correct...)

[As a side note, after updating the repos, my own pkg manager was able to download and install the wpa_supplicant 2.6, and the new bash
listed in patches without a problem (had to use the --force option to override existing pkgs]

-----------

A feature request

On a very related note, if there are new pkgs in the repos, I would love Puppy to print to the console (or terminal emulator) on first run of each boot
the names of all the new pkgs in the repos, just like Ubuntu does...

Especially if it's security fixes.. To that end it might NOT be better to merge the patches/fixes/security pkgs into the main repo files...

Ideally puppy would check for new pkgs at boot, and if new pkgs found, booting to X would be delayed i until after i had seen the msg and
chosen to install/ignore/etc.. and then X loads up.. (so, more like apt-get/ubuntu)

(this could actually be achieved with my pkg manager fairly easily, if puppy didn't merge the new pkgs into the main repo files and instead
kept the patches/fixes repos in their own files, like all the other repos..)

And wouldn't it be less code and hackery in woof to simply treat the patches (etc) repos like normal repos - with their own repo files...?

Again, I don't know enough about Woof to do this a 'proper' way (using Petget, root-fs skeleton, etc) ...

...Any thoughts?
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

xpio

getting updates pkgs in petget

#1142 Post by xpio »

Hi sc0ttman

If it's of any help to you, I am using stock slacko6.9.9.9 as found @ ibiblio, and have updated wpa_supplicant this morning.

I didn't use any of the command line tools, just Puppy Package Manager, and it too listed wpa_supplicant as "already installed", but I think it's normal behavior for PPM, and that it labels app by name, not by version, as such. (It displayed a warning that installed apps are not normally shown in the list, but updates are, with "already installed" label.)

While installing this, it downloaded heaps of other stuff, as qt-4.8.7 is a dependency of wpa_supplicant 2.6. In the end, installer reported that there are missing libraries, but these are from dependencies further down the chain. When checking, it seems that:
File /usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstcdparanoia.so has these missing library files:
libcdda_interface.so.0 libcdda_paranoia.so.0
File /usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstlibvisual.so has these missing library files:
libvisual-0.4.so.0

Sailor Enceladus

Re: getting updates pkgs in petget

#1143 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

sc0ttman wrote:Anyone else have (or can anyone reproduce) the same problem?
A similar thing happened to me. When I ran ./0setup it kept pulling this mysterious list that still had 2.5 in it, even though each list I could find on slackware site said 2.6. Somehow deleting the woof-CE folder, re-running the git command and doing ./merge2out and ./0setup again fixed it. I'm not sure what the issue was, glad it somehow randomly fixed itself eventually :lol:

sc0ttman

#1144 Post by sc0ttman »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
A similar thing happened to me. When I ran ./0setup it kept pulling this mysterious list that still had 2.5 in it, even though each list I could find on slackware site said 2.6. Somehow deleting the woof-CE folder, re-running the git command and doing ./merge2out and ./0setup again fixed it. I'm not sure what the issue was, glad it somehow randomly fixed itself eventually :lol:
Glad you fixed it, but did you try updating the repos in the Petget of a running Slacko pup that doesn't have those PETs yet, and then installing the newly added PETs? Cos that is what is not working for me..

In other words, I built a Slacko a few weeks back, which didn't include the new wpa_supplicant 2.6 pet, then updated the repos, the new wpa_supplicant (2.6) was then listed in Petget, but after trying to install it, I still only had wpa_supplicant 2.5 installed (when i did wpa_supplicant --version)...

xpio wrote:In the end, installer reported that there are missing libraries,
But did you run `wpa_supplicant --version` to check you actually got 2.6? Cos I didn't get 2.6, I still had 2.5 installed..

And, are we sure those deps listed are correct? Does wpa_supplicant really need all those things?? I suspect not.. Most of them are builtins so not too much harm, but still ..

+bzip2,+dbus,+expat,+fontconfig,+freetype,+gcc,+gcc-g++,+glib2,+harfbuzz,+libICE,+libSM,+libX11,+libXau,+libXdmcp,+libXext,+libXrender,+libffi,+libnl3,+libpng,+libxcb,+ncurses,+openssl-solibs,+openssl,+qt,+readline,+util-linux,+zlib

Not gonna derail the whole thread with this problem...

So I will leave a "possible bug report", that "merging new PETs into the main repo files seems not to work for me, and 0setup seems to be the culprit.."

Again, this would need confirming by other users of recent Slacko builds, who update the repos and try to install the newly added pets..
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

01micko

#1145 Post by 01micko »

sc0ttman wrote:
Sailor Enceladus wrote:
Glad you fixed it, but did you try updating the repos in the Petget of a running Slacko pup that doesn't have those PETs yet, and then installing the newly added PETs? Cos that is what is not working for me..

In other words, I built a Slacko a few weeks back, which didn't include the new wpa_supplicant 2.6 pet, then updated the repos, the new wpa_supplicant (2.6) was then listed in Petget, but after trying to install it, I still only had wpa_supplicant 2.5 installed (when i did wpa_supplicant --version)...

xpio wrote:In the end, installer reported that there are missing libraries,
But did you run `wpa_supplicant --version` to check you actually got 2.6? Cos I didn't get 2.6, I still had 2.5 installed..

And, are we sure those deps listed are correct? Does wpa_supplicant really need all those things?? I suspect not.. Most of them are builtins so not too much harm, but still ..

+bzip2,+dbus,+expat,+fontconfig,+freetype,+gcc,+gcc-g++,+glib2,+harfbuzz,+libICE,+libSM,+libX11,+libXau,+libXdmcp,+libXext,+libXrender,+libffi,+libnl3,+libpng,+libxcb,+ncurses,+openssl-solibs,+openssl,+qt,+readline,+util-linux,+zlib

Not gonna derail the whole thread with this problem...

So I will leave a "possible bug report", that "merging new PETs into the main repo files seems not to work for me, and 0setup seems to be the culprit.."

Again, this would need confirming by other users of recent Slacko builds, who update the repos and try to install the newly added pets..
Alrighty,,, a lot of superfluous stuff in the quote but remember PPM checks deps of deps...

Code: Select all

# ldd ./wpa_gui 
	linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffed1ffc000)
	libQtGui.so.4 => /usr/lib64/qt/lib/libQtGui.so.4 (0x00007f1c2df30000)
	libQtCore.so.4 => /usr/lib64/qt/lib/libQtCore.so.4 (0x00007f1c2da35000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f1c2d818000)
	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f1c2d49e000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x00007f1c2d194000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f1c2cf7d000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f1c2cbb4000)
	libgthread-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib64/libgthread-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f1c2c9b1000)
	libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f1c2c67a000)
	libpng16.so.16 => /usr/lib64/libpng16.so.16 (0x00007f1c2c448000)
	libz.so.1 => /lib64/libz.so.1 (0x00007f1c2c232000)
	libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so.6 (0x00007f1c2bf96000)
	libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f1c2bd45000)
	libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libSM.so.6 (0x00007f1c2bb3d000)
	libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libICE.so.6 (0x00007f1c2b922000)
	libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libXrender.so.1 (0x00007f1c2b718000)
	libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libfontconfig.so.1 (0x00007f1c2b4db000)
	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libXext.so.6 (0x00007f1c2b2c9000)
	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6 (0x00007f1c2af8e000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f1c2ad89000)
	librt.so.1 => /lib64/librt.so.1 (0x00007f1c2ab81000)
	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x000055d782362000)
	libharfbuzz.so.0 => /usr/lib64/libharfbuzz.so.0 (0x00007f1c2a902000)
	libbz2.so.1 => /lib64/libbz2.so.1 (0x00007f1c2a6f2000)
	libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib64/../lib64/libffi.so.6 (0x00007f1c2a4ea000)
	libuuid.so.1 => /lib64/libuuid.so.1 (0x00007f1c2a2e5000)
	libexpat.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libexpat.so.1 (0x00007f1c2a0bb000)
	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libxcb.so.1 (0x00007f1c29e9c000)
	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libXau.so.6 (0x00007f1c29c98000)
	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00007f1c29a93000)

I hear you... wpa_gui?

PPM must include the templates from woof if we are to keep a lean system.

There are plenty of bug reports relating to updating xorg and various other system critical applications.

A drawback of woof? YES. From the start.

Fixable? Probably.

Something to consider in your CLI package manager.

NB> Apologies that I haven't had time to update some slacko/woof stuff but I do hold a full time job and am the full time carer for my Grand son. I think that is a fair excuse and distracts me enough to not put out a half baked Puppy version. I wish I had the skills of Houdini but I don't! :lol:

Feel free to PM me or drop me an email and I'll do what I can. (preference = email the '01micko' address which should be findable, spam trackers are awake up to the 'myadress At somedomain DOT com' stuff ).

Cheers!

PS> Scott, nice work on the build scripts. Sort out your github and I'll see what I can do to make you a member of the team.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

xpio

#1146 Post by xpio »

sc0ttman wrote:But did you run `wpa_supplicant --version` to check you actually got 2.6? Cos I didn't get 2.6, I still had 2.5 installed.
Yes (actually "-v"), and it says "wpa_supplicant v2.6".

Afterwards I just uninstalled qt and all of its dependencies (which only broke wpa-gui). All this is from user perspective, I didn't build my Slacko, just installed 6.9.9.9 from ibiblio and updated with PPM.

norgo

dependencies

#1147 Post by norgo »

@xpio
xpio wrote:File /usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstcdparanoia.so has these missing library files:
libcdda_interface.so.0 libcdda_paranoia.so.0
File /usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstlibvisual.so has these missing library files:
libvisual-0.4.so.0
You are right, dependencies information of gst-plugins-base-1.6.4 package is incomplete.
Install cdparanoia-III_10.2-i486-1.txz to resolve dependencies of gst-plugins-base.

btw: it's not recommended to use the original Slackware package of wpa_supplicant because of plenty of dependencies ( see above )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wpa_supplicant question:

installed version 2.5 contains libnl.so.1.1.4 and symlinks libnl.so and libnl.so.1 to libnl.so.1.1.4

Does somebody knows which application is using this library ?
Could not find a dependency of wpa_supplicant components or other applications.
Last edited by norgo on Fri 27 Oct 2017, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.

sc0ttman

#1148 Post by sc0ttman »

Hi guys,

Well, the existence of wpa_gui clears up my large deps list query.. Not norgos though...

I forgot about the gui (as it wasn't installed), and hadn't checked the FIXUP hack, to be honest.. :oops:

But even so, I still didn't get 2.6 installed using PPM.. not sure why...

If you did though xpio, (and considering the above info) then I'll assume it's my bad..

And I will look into how Petget handles FIXUP hacks (if at all), and think about some way to get something similar into Pkg..
(A list of blacklisted files, associated with their pkg, might be the simplest alternative? Something like:

~/.packages/blacklisted_files:

wpa_supplicant|/usr/bin/wpa_gui,/some/other/file
Maybe it could even include blacklisted deps too(a dep is a pkg, which is basically still just a list of files):

~/.packages/blacklisted_files:

wpa_supplicant|/usr/bin/wpa_gui,/some/other/file,+qt
... when getting the deps list of <pkg-name>, or doing its post install, you could check that file,
then remove the stuff listed for that pkg... very simple, pretty easy to maintain, and might even might work!!

BTW, 01micko, you have done so much for puppy users it's amazing.. You don't owe anyone any time (of course)..
And your most recent efforts (inc petbuild) could have been taken up better by others (myself included), to ease the load on you..

Anyway.. Funnily enough, I started my new job just yesterday, spent the day setting up, so have just done the bits n bobs I needed to do..

I will find ur email and msg you tomorrow at some point, will ask a few questions about petbuild (if u dont mind) so
I can get an idea on the roadmap, desired future features, caveats, etc, and how to add to it in the preferred way, etc..

EDIT!! (only cos I wanna maybe fork it/merge it with buildpet, for my Pkg thing.. not cos i plan to take it over obvs!!)

Cheers guys.. And cheers Mick for all the great stuff you've done so far! Once i'm out of my overdraft, (a few pay-checks/months away),
I will defo donate at your site

Thanks.

norgo

PPM

#1149 Post by norgo »

@sc0ttman

Hi Scotty,

Yes, PPM is a little bit strange sometimes.

Example:
search for smplayer gives me three hits
1. smplayer-17.8.0
2. smplayer-17.10.2
3. smplayer-17.4.2

see pic 1

three different versions from three different servers.
This means, PPM is showing what available is ( not the installed version )
These information come from ~/.packages/Packages-...14.2
That's why from time to time PPM database should become updated.

Btw. in my case smplayer-17.7.0 was installed.
If PPM is starting and a different version of the desired application is installed
a window pops up with the appropriate information.
That's absolutely okay.

see pic 2

But !!!
If a builtin package becomes deleted, PPM is showing nevertheless (ALREADY INSTALLED)
This is definitively wrong.
I have no idea from where PPM takes this information.
Attachments
pic1.jpg
pic 1
(80.85 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
pic2.jpg
pic 2
(38.26 KiB) Downloaded 779 times

norgo

wpa_supplicant 2.6

#1150 Post by norgo »

apropos wpa_supplicant 2.6

It is possible to compile wpa_supplicant without qt gui.
I did this three days ago under Slacko 6.9.9.9 ('testing;bdab886;2017-07-29 17:54:31 +0800')

following patches have been applied:

rebased-v2.6-0001-hostapd-Avoid-key-reinstallation-in-FT-handshake
rebased-v2.6-0002-Prevent-reinstallation-of-an-already-in-use-group-ke
rebased-v2.6-0003-Extend-protection-of-GTK-IGTK-reinstallation-of-WNM
rebased-v2.6-0004-Prevent-installation-of-an-all-zero-TK
rebased-v2.6-0005-Fix-PTK-rekeying-to-generate-a-new-ANonce
rebased-v2.6-0006-TDLS-Reject-TPK-TK-reconfiguration
rebased-v2.6-0007-WNM-Ignore-WNM-Sleep-Mode-Response-without-pending-r
rebased-v2.6-0008-FT-Do-not-allow-multiple-Reassociation-Response-fram

assoc-timeout
dbus-service-file-args
flush-debug-output
quiet-scan-results-message

I took the original Slackware build as template from here
( unneeded features have been commented out before compilation )

please note, this is only a test version !

wpa_supplicant-2.6-slk700-i686.pet ( size: 709 k , md5: 4ddaef8ce86dfedab36f14000630a8eb )

Brave tester are welcome :-)

peebee

Re: wpa_supplicant 2.6

#1151 Post by peebee »

norgo wrote:It is possible to compile wpa_supplicant without qt gui.
The woof-ce package-template for wpa-supplicant removes the gui....
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... _FIXUPHACK
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

norgo

Re: wpa_supplicant 2.6

#1152 Post by norgo »

peebee wrote:The woof-ce package-template for wpa-supplicant removes the gui....
in case of package update ? ( not woof puppy builder )

radky

#1153 Post by radky »

If anyone is interested, the following iso is available for testing this weekend.

Dpup stretch-7.0.0a2-O4Nov2017.iso

Woof-CE build, testing branch 04-Nov-2017

Changelog since 20-Oct-2017:

- Add modified 'Places' category in JWM XDG menu, including common options such as clickable Drives, Recently used applications, Search files, and quick-links to common directories. The 'Recently used' option automatically deletes items from the list if they point to files that no longer exist on your drive. (thanks to MochiMoppel and zigbert for the original Places menu)
- Add/Fix help files for Abiword (online link), Cgtkcalc, Gnumeric, mtPaint, Sylpheed
- Add missing system libraries (thanks OscarTalks)
- Add inxi utility for concise system information (go to PupSysInfo -> Sys-Apps tab) or (go to PupControl -> System tab -> SysInfo Utilities)
- Add xclose utility to close multiple windows gracefully with wmctrl. Find it in the Utility menu, or you can add it to the tray or desktop as a quick-launch item to easily dismiss all desktop windows. (thanks MochiMoppel and mfb)
- Add emelfm2 two-pane file manager (thanks plinej)
- Add Engrampa archive manager to menu (thanks wdlkmpx)
- Add Deadbeef audio player 0.7.2
- Add Asunder CD ripper 2.8
- Add pequalizer (thanks 01micko)
- Add MMview file viewer (thanks MochiMoppel)
- Add Planer application for project management
- Add weX screen recorder and Precord audio player, modified for Dpup (thanks wiak)
- Add getflash (install FlashPlayer)
- Add duplex scrollbar steppers to Polished Blue GTK theme (thanks mfb)
- Add Polished-Blue JWM theme to complement the default GTK theme
- Add optional cursor themes (aero, lil-polar, Obsidian, PolarCursors, Premium, whiteglass, wonderland)
- Adjust urxvt default appearance. Note: urxvt is also configured with perl plugins which support multiple tabbed windows, plus convenient highlighting, copying and pasting (thanks belham2)
- Adjust D-Bus (system message bus); Remove old usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 -> libdbus-1.so.3.4.0, but retain offical debian /lib/libdbus-1.so.3 -> libdbus-1.so.3.14.13 (thanks OscarTalks)
- Adjust default Leafpad configuration to show line numbers
- Remove problematic %U suffix from executables in uget, hexchat and pcmanfm desktop files (thanks Sailor Enceladus)
- Update base kernel 4.1.38 to 4.1.45-i686-pae
- Update Ghostscript to 9.21 for CUPS printing
- Update Palemoon browser to 27.5.1
-Update gtkdialog to 0.8.4
- Update inkscapelite, patched to correctly show horizontal and vertical rulers (thanks OscarTalks)
- Update gpicview 0.2.5, patched to support animated GIFs
- Update ROX-Filer 2.11, patched to support moveable treeview columns in the detail view (thanks Rocket) and add 'Force' checkbox to the ROX-Filer copy/move dialogs (thanks jun7). Please see note below.
- Update peasy apps and add peasyDiff (thanks rcrsn51)
- Update default wallpapers
- Update PupMates
- Security: update wpa_supplicant (wpasupplicant_2.4-1+deb9u1_i386.deb). This addresses the KRACK WiFi vulnerability in the WPA2 protocol: https://www.debian.org/security/2017/dsa-3999
- Security: update openssl (openssl_1.1.0g-1_i386.deb). This addresses the OpenSSL Security Advisory of 02 Nov 2017: https://www.openssl.org/news/secadv/20171102.txt
- Bugfix: prevent X-server crash when launching xcalc calcuator (thanks goingnuts)

Note: The default action of the updated ROX-Filer copy/move dialog (Quiet checkbox ticked, Newer checkbox unticked and Force checkbox unticked) requires user confirmation before overwriting existing destination files. However, this behavior may be tedious for some users when copying or moving multiple files. In this scenario, the Force option (if also ticked) enables immediate overwriting of destination files without serial confirmation dialogs. Importantly, the Force checkbox defaults to the unticked state each time the copy/move dialog is called, and must be manually ticked if you wish to copy/move multiple files without confirmation.

If the 'Newer' checkbox is ticked (and Force unticked), ROX-Filer will only overwrite if source is newer than destination. User confirmation is still required if source is older than destination or if source and destination dates are identical. However, the Force option (if also ticked) will override the Newer option and forcefully overwrite destination files without regard for the file date. Consequently, the Force option should be used with an understanding of its purpose and power.

In the Options Configuration GUI of ROX-Filer there is another 'Force' checkbox which applies to the confirmation dialog you may see when deleting non-writeable items. This option does not control the Force option of the copy/move dialog.

Thanks

Edit: iso removed
Last edited by radky on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

belham2

#1154 Post by belham2 »

radky wrote:If anyone is interested, the following iso is available for testing this weekend.

Woof-CE build, testing branch 04-Nov-2017

Thanks, Radky. :wink: Booted up 'frugally' on an core i3 latpop & looking good. Will use it this coming next week & report back if anything is found.
Attachments
Stretch-7.0.0a2-radky-04Nov2017.jpg
(165.79 KiB) Downloaded 526 times

peebee

#1155 Post by peebee »

radky wrote:If anyone is interested, the following iso is available for testing this weekend.
Hi @radky

Nice build....

You seem to have a similar problem to me on ArtfulPup - shutdown with LUKS encrypted savefile "hangs" ....

More minor - sound icon does not show (white on white??)

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

radky

#1156 Post by radky »

belham2 wrote:
Will use it this coming next week & report back if anything is found.
Thanks belham2. I look forward to your report.

peebee wrote:
You seem to have a similar problem to me on ArtfulPup - shutdown with LUKS encrypted savefile "hangs" ....
I can test further, but my contribution to resolving the LUKS issue may be limited since I do not use encrypted savefiles.
More minor - sound icon does not show (white on white??)
Dpup stretch uses the legacy variant of retrovol, so there are no editable svg icons for customization of the speaker color. If the speaker icon does not show in your tray, is it still possible to click the blank area to access the retrovol options? If not, maybe JWM did not swallow the retrovol app?

Thanks
Attachments
image-1.png
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 1324 times
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

Terry H

#1157 Post by Terry H »

Have just done a frugal install of radky's dpup stretch. Only issue for me is that there is no wifi firmware for the 2 intel wifi cards I am currently using. I have 2 wifi AC cards, one 7260 and one 7265D. The 'lib/firmware' that gets loaded is quite old now 2013. I copy the ucode files required and wifi works. With this installation I copied the latest version I have iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode. The latest version that is being checked for in dmesg is iwlwifi-7260-13.ucode, so I had to copy this older version to this installation. Wifi is now working on this desktop. haven't tried on other with 7265D card yet.

I like the extra panel, this is how I generally set up all my installations, just need to rearrange order. So far all tried working very well. Thanks radky.

# inxi -Fxx
System:    Host: puppypc20387 Kernel: 4.1.45 i686 bits: 32 gcc: 6.3.0
           Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 dm: N/A Distro: Dpup Stretch 7.0.0a2
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: h8-1214 serial: 2MF20807BK
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: 2AC8 v: 1.2 serial: N/A
           BIOS: AMI v: Ang_717 date: 04/13/2012
           Chassis: type: 3 serial: N/A
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6100 Six-Core (-MCP-) arch: Bulldozer rev.2 cache: 12288 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 39513
           clock speeds: min/max: 1400/3300 MHz 1: 1800 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 1800 MHz
           4: 1400 MHz 5: 2400 MHz 6: 1800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Caicos PRO [Radeon HD 7450]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:677b
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2
           drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.42.0 / 4.1.45, LLVM 3.9.1)
           version: 3.3 Mesa 13.0.6 (compat-v: 3.0) Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Caicos HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6450 / 7450/8450/8490 OEM / R5 230/235/235X OEM]
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:aa98
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1002:4383
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.1.45
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 06:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:08b1
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 7c:5c:f8:ce:f3:ba
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 07:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 50:e5:49:d2:24:ac
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1876.4GB (5.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: INTEL_SSDSC2CW12 size: 120.0GB serial: N/A
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Hitachi_HDS72301 size: 1500.3GB serial: N/A
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: Crucial_CT256MX1 size: 256.1GB serial: N/A
Partition: ID-1: swap-1 size: 10.74GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb3
RAID:      System: supported: linear raid0 raid1 raid10 raid6 raid5 raid4
           No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
           Unused Devices: none
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 24.1C mobo: N/A gpu: 48.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 155 Uptime: 20 min Memory: 330.5/9901.2MB
           Init: SysVinit v: N/A runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121 running in lxterminal) inxi: 2.3.40

Edit: Frugal install on my Dell i3-5005U Laptop. Had to install older version iwlwifi-7265D-13.ucode. Wifi working now. Noticed in the Initial Setup Run internet applications as spot does not work. Get a Red Message Box, no applications to select. Have manually edited palemoon.desktop and defaultbrowser script to run-as-spot.

radky

#1158 Post by radky »

Terry wrote:
Only issue for me is that there is no wifi firmware for the 2 intel wifi cards
In the next release I will update /lib/firmware for improved hardware support.
Noticed in the Initial Setup Run internet applications as spot does not work. Get a Red Message Box, no applications to select. Have manually edited palemoon.desktop and defaultbrowser script to run-as-spot.
The directions provided in the Red Message Box are a bit long, but after adding palemoon=false to /root/.spot-status, you will find a palemoon checkbox in loginmanager and this will allow palemoon to run as spot. However, I agree with you, adding run-as-spot to the Exec line of the browser desktop file is easy, and quicker.

Thanks for your comments!

Billtoo

#1159 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to an old 4gb usb 2.0 flash drive that's being used on my
HP desktop.

# inxi -bw
System: Host: puppypc662 Kernel: 4.1.45 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 Distro: Dpup Stretch 7.0.0a2
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HPE-410f serial: MXX0370KF3
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB1 v: 1.00 BIOS: American Megatrends v: 6.02 date: 07/21/2010
CPU: Hexa core AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (-MCP-) speed/max: 800/2700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]
Display Server: X.org 1.19.2 driver: radeon tty size: 130x25 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1004.2GB (0.9% used)
Weather: Conditions: 50 F (10 C) - light rain mist Time: November 5, 7:14 AM EST
Info: Processes: 140 Uptime: 1:20 Memory: 161.0/8092.6MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8
#

I installed some large applications with PPM and the flash drive still
has 2.8 out of 3.7 gb of free space left.

Haven't hit any snags so far,
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(83.77 KiB) Downloaded 1103 times

Sailor Enceladus

#1160 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Nice build radky. Looks very polished and up to date. Many great fixes, I wonder how many can be synced back into woof-CE :)
radky wrote:
peebee wrote:More minor - sound icon does not show (white on white??)
Dpup stretch uses the legacy variant of retrovol, so there are no editable svg icons for customization of the speaker color. If the speaker icon does not show in your tray, is it still possible to click the blank area to access the retrovol options? If not, maybe JWM did not swallow the retrovol app?
The icon disappears for me when I drag the volume down to 0%. Surprisingly, this doesn't change the volume for me, as after I moved the slider to 0% I could still hear the 2barks, and then I checked my Master slider in Full Window and it was still at 75%.