USB stick won't boot up...

Booting, installing, newbie
PlainDave

USB stick won't boot up...

#1 Post by PlainDave »

Hello. I'm trying to run Puppy from a USB thumbdrive. I used Rufus, a Windows prog, for making a bootable USB drive. I then tried to boot using it, but it just went to my usual GRUB menu. I tried to use Startup Disk Creator in Ubuntu, but it only recognizes Ubuntu flavors. What am I doing wrong? I'd like to at least be able to run Puppy for checking it out without installing. Thanks.

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

What version of Windows are you running... the proceedures are different for Win-10, Win-8.1, Win-7, etc. Someone can guide you from there, or point you to a method here.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

PlainDave

#3 Post by PlainDave »

I can't believe I forgot to mention that I have Windows 10.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Is the computer setup to go to the USB first as the boot device?
The computer bios should have a setting to change the boot device order.
You want it to be USB first before going to the hard drive.
Pressing F2 key and hold it down, just as computer starts.
This should get the bios setup options menu open.

Some computers, pressing F12 will bring up a boot device selection menu.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

PlainDave

#5 Post by PlainDave »

Yes to all the above. :) I already got into the BIOS settings and made the USB stick the first thing to boot from. Sorry I didn't already mention that. Yeah, F2 is always what I use to enter BIOS world.

watchdog

#6 Post by watchdog »

Have you a UEFI machine? I think you need UEFI boot. I have not a Uefi machine to try with but I know that to boot a usb stick in a UEFI machine you have to go through a more complicated procedure. Enter UEFI settings and disable Secure Boot. Then try to follow the following procedure:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... drive.html

It's for fatdog64 but it's the same procedure for every puppy supporting Uefi boot. You can prepare the usb stick with a machine which already runs puppy.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

watchdog wrote:Have you a UEFI machine? I think you need UEFI boot. I have not a Uefi machine to try with but I know that to boot a usb stick in a UEFI machine you have to go through a more complicated procedure. Enter UEFI settings and disable Secure Boot. Then try to follow the following procedure:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... drive.html

It's for fatdog64 but it's the same procedure for every puppy supporting Uefi boot. You can prepare the usb stick with a machine which already runs puppy.
Agree with watchdog about it being the same for all Pups. Which is hardly surprising, considering that after jamesbond and Kirk forked over the required $99 for the SecureBoot 'shim' key, they then very kindly 'shared' with the Woof-CE team. All modern Pups are now using that same key, since jamesbond and Kirk were careful not to specify a particular Puppy.....realizing that Puppy, in all her variants, would evolve way faster than Windows would!

That's my understanding, anyway.....although I could, of course, be wrong.

Mike. :wink:

PlainDave

#8 Post by PlainDave »

I disabled secure boot, and it entered the Puppy menu. Success. But then it said to type xorgconfig or something like that. I set up X, or at least I thought I did, but it just wouldn't boot into Puppy. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks to all of you that has helped so far.

mikeslr

Which of the thousand+/- Puppies?

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi PlainDave,

Which Puppy fails to boot from a rufus formatted USB-Key in a Windows 10 computer?

Is the Puppy you are trying to boot one of the ones icake reported success with here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 421#879421? --which also lists those which could NOT be booted;

or those Puppies published after icakes' post bearing an "uefi" designation in its name to reflect that they were specifically built to include the signature that the uefi protocol requires?

Examples of such build are xenialpup64-7.0.8.5-uefi.iso and slacko64-6.3.2-uefi.iso.

I'm surprised that bigpup hasn't already told you that we only know what you tell us.

Which computer --specifically, make? model?

The bootup reference to "xorgconfig" tells us that your Puppy didn't automatically identify the graphics device on your system. Can you determine which 'graphics card' it uses. Sometimes knowing the make and model of a computer enables us to find out. But sometimes the manufacturer offered several choices. I would think if you boot back into Windows 10 or Ubuntu there'll be an application which will identify it.

If not, someone who remembers the usual code entered in a terminal under Linux can provide it. Me, I'm going to have breakfast. :)

mikesLr

PlainDave

#10 Post by PlainDave »

The build I'm trying to check out is slacko64-6.3.2-uefi.iso. I'm assuming that I can check it out before installing.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series. 4GB RAM, 2.1GHz dual-core, 64-bit, Dell Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics card (256MB video RAM, I think). I typed the following in terminal to find out this info:

Code: Select all

lshw -numeric -C display
My computer is really slow, which is why I'm using Linux at the moment. My main distro is Xubuntu, in case that matters.

mikeslr

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi PlainDave,

It appears that rufus worked, but slacko64-6.3.2 doesn't play well with your computer.

slacko64-6.3.2-uefi.iso may present the same problem discussed here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 531d9128fc: the included kernel did not have the required firmware/drivers.

Perhaps the easy* solution is to try the xenialpup64-7.0.8.5-uefi.iso available from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/xenialpup/. [I would have suggested the latest, 7.0.8.6. However, it appears that the absence of the uefi designation on the ISO was intentional. I just mounted its ISO on my computer --where it is running well-- and do not see the required uefi signature].

Xenialpup64 was created using the Ubuntu binaries of Xenial Xerus. Since your computer runs under Ubuntu, it may be a better fit.

mikesLr

* It is fairly easy to change a recent Puppy's kernel when running any Puppy. I'm not sure how easy that would be if, not having a running Puppy yet, you'd try to do it from any other Linux or Windows.

PlainDave

#12 Post by PlainDave »

Hi mikeslr,

Thanks for the link. I'll try that one. I just also tried tahr64-6.0.5.iso, but it didn't work either.

One more thing: I also MD5 checksummed both flavors and they're legit.

Thanks again.

mikeslr

Please report your finding and, if possible, do some testing

#13 Post by mikeslr »

Hi PlainDave,

It is a customary courtesy --too often forgotten-- that if a problem was solved the initial poster edits the title of his/her first post to include the word "Solved".

If switching to Xenialpup64 solves your problem AND you have the time, however, I'd ask you to do some follow up testing. I assume you'll again use Rufus to 'burn' the ISO to the USB-stick. Many of us --perhaps all-- who take the time to answer the question of those new to 'Puppy' don't have UEFI computers. That makes it impossible for us to rely on our experience --or run tests to determine-- one of the frequent questions asked by those interested in trying their FIRST Puppy: How to EASILY obtain one which boots if the only operating system you have is Windows 8/8+ or 10, or a different Linux.

Burning an ISO to a USB-Key seems to be the easiest, and using Rufus to do so has been mentioned several times. But I was under the impression that using Rufus didn't require turning off Secure Boot when the desired operating system presented the required UEFI signature.

If Xenialpup64 is bootable, could you take the time to 're-engage' Secure Boot, and see if Xenialpup64 continues to be bootable.

Thanks,

mikesLr

Burn_IT

#14 Post by Burn_IT »

You could do with a bit more memory in there. An extra 4gb will make a big difference. Even 2gb more would help.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

I just also tried tahr64-6.0.5.iso, but it didn't work either.

Statements like this are no help :shock: :roll:
You do what?
You see what?
YaPI(any iso installer)

PlainDave

#16 Post by PlainDave »

Statements like this are no help
I'm sorry. I guess I thought that, in context, it would be enough said. What I meant was the tahr64-6.0.5.iso distro did the same thing as the slacko64-6.3.2-uefi.iso distro. (Please refer to my previous posts.)

I finally tried the xenialpup64-7.0.8.5-uefi.iso distro. I got the menu to Start Puppy and the screen went blank. I then rebooted and tried "Start... RAM only". I waited at least a couple of minutes, but it was still blank. So I did the "3-finger salute" (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to reboot. Hey that rhymes. :)

I still very much want to try out a Puppy distro. I can't believe all of these failures. I know it's something simple, so I'm not giving up yet. Y'all take care.

[EDIT] 10 years ago — Feb '07 — I first tried out Puppy. I burnt it to a CD and it booted into Puppy just fine. I can't remember which computer I had at the time, but it worked great.

perdido

#17 Post by perdido »

PlainDave wrote:
Statements like this are no help
I'm sorry. I guess I thought that, in context, it would be enough said. What I meant was the tahr64-6.0.5.iso distro did the same thing as the slacko64-6.3.2-uefi.iso distro. (Please refer to my previous posts.)

I finally tried the xenialpup64-7.0.8.5-uefi.iso distro. I got the menu to Start Puppy and the screen went blank. I then rebooted and tried "Start... RAM only". I waited at least a couple of minutes, but it was still blank. So I did the "3-finger salute" (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to reboot. Hey that rhymes. :)

I still very much want to try out a Puppy distro. I can't believe all of these failures. I know it's something simple, so I'm not giving up yet. Y'all take care.

[EDIT] 10 years ago — Feb '07 — I first tried out Puppy. I burnt it to a CD and it booted into Puppy just fine. I can't remember which computer I had at the time, but it worked great.
I don't have uefi or windows.
From this forum.Puppy Linux UEFI boot EASY
Might help, might not.

bigpup

#18 Post by bigpup »

I think this is a graphics driver issue.
I think the computer is using the Intel processor integrated graphics.

Try this and see what happens.
xenialpup64-7.0.8.5 or others.
When it first boots.
You see the Puppy boot screen.
Hold down F2 key.
Should now see a screen showing boot options.
At the bottom is a command line you can input into.
Type puppy pfix=ram i915.modeset=0
Press enter.

What specifically happens??
YaPI(any iso installer)

cthisbear

#19 Post by cthisbear »