Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#821 Post by fredx181 »

jd7654 wrote:Test of a minimum configed DebLive-Stretch Full Dog, install tzupdate .deb+dependencies failed
Mmm.. that's strange. You could have forgotten to do 'apt-get update' first maybe.
Anyway added "tzupdate" to custom repos now, so can be installed with Synaptic or apt-get. Thanks for testing, looks like it works OK for everyone and suitable to include in a build by default.

Fred

fredx181

#822 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Is Peasyclock the answer to these woes in Trinity/Ddogs??
How about trying it out ?

belham2

#823 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
belham wrote:Is Peasyclock the answer to these woes in Trinity/Ddogs??
How about trying it out ?
Well I'll be.....

Peasyclock survived two reboots and correct time IS still showing. I don't know what to do with myself now... :lol: :wink:
Attachments
trinity-conky-clock-time.png
(21.05 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
trinity-tray-clock-time.png
(7.39 KiB) Downloaded 509 times

dancytron

#824 Post by dancytron »

Sorry I didn't get a chance to help with the time testing. Family stuff came up this weekend with more to come.

Good to see it seems solved.

rcrsn51

#825 Post by rcrsn51 »

I looked at how NTP servers work and the basic function fits easily into PeasyClock.

So I added it to v1.4 (final).

mikeslr

Contemplating time

#826 Post by mikeslr »

@ belham2, " I don't know what to do with myself now...".

Perhaps contemplate the deep meaning of fred's "Time goes on and on... some say it exist only in our imagination"

I'll get you started. Rather than 'imagination' perhaps 'limited mental capacity'. Time appears to be a construct made by us who can only appreciate the four dimensions of the space-time continuum, and occasionally visualize a fifth, ignoring the remaining 6 to 21 --depends on who you ask-- other dimensions, relegating them to 'they curve around the 3 space dimensions, so we don't have to account for them'.

Both the processes of our minds and our (the human specie's) predominant sensory system, vision, are attributes-of?/dependent upon the Electro-Magnetic Force (which, itself, may be a 'work-around' necessitated by our limited sensory and mental capacities). With that limited mental capacity we have concluded that any force --at least the one's we can manipulate-- is convertible into any other force or mass (provided you can apply sufficient force. :) ).

Which brings us to Einstein's famous formula: E=mc squared: E=mc x c.

The formula is usually used to determine how much force can be produced given the mass of an object. c, however, is the distance light travels in one second. So, the formula can be reconfigured to determine "time" if you could measure both the mass and energy involved.

Currently we can't make such measurements. But we have a reasonably good approximation. For all intents and purposes, all the mass and energy present in our cosmic neck of the woods are those of our big companion, The Sun.

Our measurements of the speed of light suggest that it is about 186,000 miles per second. Curiously, Earth's average distance from the Sun is about 93 million miles. We really don't know what the speed of light is elsewhere, as all of our measurements have either been taken here, or at least, READ here.

I stumbled upon this curious state of affairs while investigating a possible science project in high school. We had just landed a man on the Moon. More optimistic then than now, there were dreams afloat of colonizing Mars. I thought a "Clock keeping Universal Time" could be useful. I ended up submitting a Diorama of micro-organisms.

My mind worked with greater velocity then. Such are the ravages of Time.

mikesLr

fredx181

#827 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Mike ! , great to have you here on the PuppyPlanet :)

Ok, trying to get back to "human" reality, uhm... :D

I made new version (1.1.0) of tzupdate package with some major changes, see info at EDIT2 and attachment here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 325#973325

@rcrsn51, I like as much as possible to maintain multi-user support.
When logged in as normal user, Peasyclock doesn't work because changing timezone (and time, I think) requires root permissions, do you agree if I change in the .desktop file in the v1.4 package to:

Code: Select all

Exec=gsu peasyclock
Then the normal user can enter password (gsu is graphical "sudo") and have root access.
This change doesn't make a difference when running as root ("gsu" is in fact ignored)

Fred

rcrsn51

#828 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's fine with me.

dancytron

#829 Post by dancytron »

edit: I install the jdk (development kit), not the jre (just the client), I don't know if these instructions actually apply to the jre.

***original post***

Quick note on making a .squashfs file for the official Sun Java and installing it.

I have a java program that I wanted to use that specifically said to only use the official Sun Java. When you go to the Sun site, it is only available as a tar.gz file. Specifically, Java version jdk-8u151-linux-x64.tar.gz.

To avoid having to look up how to do it on the command line, I used apt2sfs to create a very small .squashfs file (lxterminal). I then opened it with edit-sfs, deleted all the lxterminal stuff, and extracted the jdk-*.tar.gz file into the edit-sfs folder, and then told edit-sfs to build the new .squashfs file.

That is fairly lame and if that was all you had to do, I wouldn't have bothered posting. People who actually know what they are doing would probably just extract it to a folder and use the mksquashfs command.

Anyway, activate the .squashfs and following this page, https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... etch-linux, do this (full terminal input and output shown).
root@live:~/Desktop/Downloads# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/java-jdk/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/java 1

update-alternatives: using /opt/java-jdk/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/java to provide /usr/bin/java (java) in auto mode

root@live:~/Desktop/Downloads# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /opt/java-jdk/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/javac 1

update-alternatives: using /opt/java-jdk/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/javac to provide /usr/bin/javac (javac) in auto mode
Then to test it.
root@live:~/Desktop/Downloads# java -version
java version "1.8.0_151"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)

rcrsn51

#830 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is PeasyGlue updated to v2.1. The previous versions did not allow filenames/paths with spaces. Now it does.
Attachments
peasyglue_2.1.deb.gz
(6.45 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

fredx181

#831 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

Added to repos latest mpv mediaplayer version 0.27, built statically linked against ffmpeg libraries, deb packages here:
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i ... h_i386.deb
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/a ... _amd64.deb
Or install with Synaptic or apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install mpv
I used the recipe from here:
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv-build

Can anyone test ?
(just recently I found when building mplayer there's special configure option for it to make it run on other machines also, but for mpv I couldn't find such option, so not sure it works on other machines)

For info: To see which different mpv packages in repos run "apt-cache policy mpv" (after running "apt-get update")
On my "full type" Stretch-live build (32 bit), it is:

apt-cache policy mpv
mpv:
  Installed: 1:0.9.4-ddjessie
  Candidate: 1:0.27.0-ddstretch
  Version table:
     1:0.27.0-ddstretch 500
        500 https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i386/Packages ./ Packages
 *** 1:0.9.4-ddjessie 500
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:0.9.3-ddjessie 500
     1:0.9.2-ddjessie 500
     0.23.0-2+b2 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main i386 Packages
Upgrading to (latest) version 1:0.27.0-ddstretch:

After this operation, 21.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Installing official Debian version:

apt-get install mpv=0.23.0-2+b2
After this operation, 97.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Fred

dancytron

#832 Post by dancytron »

I upgraded my mpv to the newest version using synaptic. It added a couple of new libs when upgrading.

Seems to work fine (although the old version worked fine too).

Is there a particular advantage to the new version?

edit: To bring back the old style On Screen Display, follow instructions here. https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/ ... d_OSC_back

You create a file /root/.config/mpv/lua-settings/osc.conf with this in it:

layout=box
seekbarstyle=slider
deadzonesize=0
minmousemove=3
The instructions say you can put the new file in /etc/mpv or /root/.config/mpv, but only /root/.config worked for me.

For more settings in the osc.conf file, see https://mpv.io/manual/stable/ search it for osc.conf to find the right section. There are lots of options. I just made it bigger when full screen with "scalefullscreen=1.5"

fredx181

#833 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Dan, thanks for testing and the info (didn't know about the lua settings)

About advantage of newer version, I don't really know (I'm a simple user, just playing some different audio/video formats)
The 0.9 version has one disadvantage, it works only with OSS (so therefore depending on package "oss-compat" installed)
The alsa-equalizer doesn't work for me when using mpv 0.9 version (where it does work with mplayer and works with new mpv 0.27 version)

EDIT: I see now that newer version has visible playlist (never seen that with the older version), see pic.

Fred
Attachments
mpv_playlist.png
Mpv visible playlist
(169.05 KiB) Downloaded 1096 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#834 Post by rcrsn51 »

Stretch prefers the libinput driver over the older synaptics driver for configuring input devices. Here is a little front-end that handles some basic touchpad/mouse/screen options like speed, tapping and scrolling .

Its dependencies are xserver-xorg-input-libinput and xinput. If you have already installed synaptics, you may need to remove it.

Update: V1.7 has a new Screen Colour Temperature control. The dependency is sct.

Update: V1.9-5 has two changes:

1. Xbacklight has been removed in favour of writing directly to /sys/class/backlight. This method supports more video cards.

2. The entries in /root/Startup/touchpad_auto are now commented out by default. Just activate the controls you want.

Hint: A few machines with Intel i915 video have the backlight control reversed. Decreasing the backlight value will increase the brightness. A value of 100 turns the backlight OFF!

Try this kernel argument in your GRUB menu: i915.invert_brightness=1

Update: Touchpad has the screen colour temperature tool SCT. But if you switch output devices (like from your laptop screen to an external monitor) it may stop working. This is because SCT wants to use the "primary" screen as designated in xrandr. V1.9-6 fixes this. Use it in conjunction with the "Video device" drop-down list.

--------------------
Attachments
touchpad_1.9-6_all.deb.gz
Updated 2020-04-11
(6.21 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
touchpad_1.9-5_all.deb.gz
Updated 2020-04-01
(6.18 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
out.png
(49.93 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 11 Apr 2020, 15:08, edited 53 times in total.

jd7654

#835 Post by jd7654 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Stretch prefers the libinput device driver over the older synaptics driver for configuring touchpads. Here is a little front-end that handles some basic touchpad options.

Its dependencies are xserver-xorg-input-libinput, xinput.

If you have already installed synaptics, you probably need to remove it.
Out of curiosity, I tried installing this and my touchpad stopped working. Of course, that was because I saw it was requiring libinput but that dependency wasn't installed.

I thought we settled the touchpad driver issue long ago (p.7-9,19) in the thread. Fred swapped libinput for evdev for some functionality, and then later it was agreed to add back synaptics for more compatibility. So that combination which is default in SD works fine for me already. Only thing I do is manually add the following 3 lines to 70-synaptics.conf to get tap to click working:

Option "TapButton1" "1"
	Option "TapButton2" "3"
	Option "TapButton3" "2"
Anyway, in my case I could not use this tool, I just manually add lines to synaptics to get tap buttons working, that is all I need done. In Puppy I would use flsynclient gui for that.

rcrsn51

#836 Post by rcrsn51 »

jd7654 wrote:Of course, that was because I saw it was requiring libinput but that dependency wasn't installed.
It does on a clean setup. Check the control file.
I thought we settled the touchpad driver issue long ago (p.7-9) in the thread.
Sorry. I didn't realize that I was obliged to honour other people's decisions when I build my own system.
In Puppy I would use flsynclient gui for that.
What's your point? That a GUI in Puppy is a good thing, but this project doesn't need them?

jd7654

#837 Post by jd7654 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
jd7654 wrote:Of course, that was because I saw it was requiring libinput but that dependency wasn't installed.
It does on a clean setup. Check the control file.
I was simply pointing out an example of a problem that can occur. Such as dpkg install on a small package. Feedback can be ignored.
I thought we settled the touchpad driver issue long ago (p.7-9) in the thread.
Sorry. I didn't realize that I was obliged to honour other people's decisions when I build my own system.
You don't. I was simply pointing out the problems which were encountered early on with various users touchpad compatibility, and that what works for many users probably should be considered in what goes into default recipies or full dog builds. You can always do what you want for your own builds.
In Puppy I would use flsynclient gui for that.
What's your point? That a GUI in Puppy is a good thing, but this project doesn't need them?
On the contrary. The point was, that in Puppy there is a easy gui to configure touchpad tap to click functions, but Dog did not have that. So I tried your app to see if it could easily do what I do manually and what flsynclient does, But as pointed out, in my case I would not use it because it would require libinput, which I don't need.

fredx181

#838 Post by fredx181 »

Hi rcrsn51 and jd7654,

I can't really join the discussion about touchpad, because It seems to work well in all cases for me (but, to be honest, I 'm not really a touchpad user)
My setup is without "xserver-xorg-input-libinput" installed (but having "xserver-xorg-input-evdev" installed)
The disadvantage for me if I have "xserver-xorg-input-libinput" installed is that "lxinput" (from menu: "Keyboard and mouse") doesn't work for mouse acceleration/sensitivity, is that the case for you also ?

Maybe one of you can make mini-howto about these touchpad issues ?
(depending on which cases, e.g. installed libinput or not, etc...)

Fred

rcrsn51

#839 Post by rcrsn51 »

See v1.2 above.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

zagreb999

Print to DjVu through KPrinter

#840 Post by zagreb999 »

REGARDS...

HOW TO Print to DjVu through KPrinter?

https://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/17525.html