Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 11:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 56 of 59 [874 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 Next
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 17:26    Post subject: Contemplating time  

@ belham2, " I don't know what to do with myself now...".

Perhaps contemplate the deep meaning of fred's "Time goes on and on... some say it exist only in our imagination"

I'll get you started. Rather than 'imagination' perhaps 'limited mental capacity'. Time appears to be a construct made by us who can only appreciate the four dimensions of the space-time continuum, and occasionally visualize a fifth, ignoring the remaining 6 to 21 --depends on who you ask-- other dimensions, relegating them to 'they curve around the 3 space dimensions, so we don't have to account for them'.

Both the processes of our minds and our (the human specie's) predominant sensory system, vision, are attributes-of?/dependent upon the Electro-Magnetic Force (which, itself, may be a 'work-around' necessitated by our limited sensory and mental capacities). With that limited mental capacity we have concluded that any force --at least the one's we can manipulate-- is convertible into any other force or mass (provided you can apply sufficient force. Smile ).

Which brings us to Einstein's famous formula: E=mc squared: E=mc x c.

The formula is usually used to determine how much force can be produced given the mass of an object. c, however, is the distance light travels in one second. So, the formula can be reconfigured to determine "time" if you could measure both the mass and energy involved.

Currently we can't make such measurements. But we have a reasonably good approximation. For all intents and purposes, all the mass and energy present in our cosmic neck of the woods are those of our big companion, The Sun.

Our measurements of the speed of light suggest that it is about 186,000 miles per second. Curiously, Earth's average distance from the Sun is about 93 million miles. We really don't know what the speed of light is elsewhere, as all of our measurements have either been taken here, or at least, READ here.

I stumbled upon this curious state of affairs while investigating a possible science project in high school. We had just landed a man on the Moon. More optimistic then than now, there were dreams afloat of colonizing Mars. I thought a "Clock keeping Universal Time" could be useful. I ended up submitting a Diorama of micro-organisms.

My mind worked with greater velocity then. Such are the ravages of Time.

mikesLr
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017, 13:48    Post subject:  

Thanks Mike ! , great to have you here on the PuppyPlanet Smile

Ok, trying to get back to "human" reality, uhm... Very Happy

I made new version (1.1.0) of tzupdate package with some major changes, see info at EDIT2 and attachment here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=973325#973325

@rcrsn51, I like as much as possible to maintain multi-user support.
When logged in as normal user, Peasyclock doesn't work because changing timezone (and time, I think) requires root permissions, do you agree if I change in the .desktop file in the v1.4 package to:
Code:
Exec=gsu peasyclock

Then the normal user can enter password (gsu is graphical "sudo") and have root access.
This change doesn't make a difference when running as root ("gsu" is in fact ignored)

Fred

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017, 16:18    Post subject:  

That's fine with me.
dancytron

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov 2017, 19:01    Post subject:  

edit: I install the jdk (development kit), not the jre (just the client), I don't know if these instructions actually apply to the jre.

***original post***

Quick note on making a .squashfs file for the official Sun Java and installing it.

I have a java program that I wanted to use that specifically said to only use the official Sun Java. When you go to the Sun site, it is only available as a tar.gz file. Specifically, Java version jdk-8u151-linux-x64.tar.gz.

To avoid having to look up how to do it on the command line, I used apt2sfs to create a very small .squashfs file (lxterminal). I then opened it with edit-sfs, deleted all the lxterminal stuff, and extracted the jdk-*.tar.gz file into the edit-sfs folder, and then told edit-sfs to build the new .squashfs file.

That is fairly lame and if that was all you had to do, I wouldn't have bothered posting. People who actually know what they are doing would probably just extract it to a folder and use the mksquashfs command.

Anyway, activate the .squashfs and following this page, https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-oracle-java-se-development-kit-on-debian-9-stretch-linux, do this (full terminal input and output shown).
Quote:

root@live:~/Desktop/Downloads# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/java-jdk/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/java 1

update-alternatives: using /opt/java-jdk/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/java to provide /usr/bin/java (java) in auto mode

root@live:~/Desktop/Downloads# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /opt/java-jdk/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/javac 1

update-alternatives: using /opt/java-jdk/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/javac to provide /usr/bin/javac (javac) in auto mode

Then to test it.
Quote:

root@live:~/Desktop/Downloads# java -version
java version "1.8.0_151"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov 2017, 08:55    Post subject:  

Here is PeasyGlue updated to v2.1. The previous versions did not allow filenames/paths with spaces. Now it does.
peasyglue_2.1.deb.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  peasyglue_2.1.deb.gz 
Filesize  6.45 KB 
Downloaded  18 Time(s) 
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov 2017, 14:12    Post subject:  

Hi All,

Added to repos latest mpv mediaplayer version 0.27, built statically linked against ffmpeg libraries, deb packages here:
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i386/Packages/Extra/mpv_0.27.0-ddstretch_i386.deb
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/amd64/Packages/Extra/mpv_0.27.0-ddstretch_amd64.deb
Or install with Synaptic or apt-get:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install mpv

I used the recipe from here:
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv-build

Can anyone test ?
(just recently I found when building mplayer there's special configure option for it to make it run on other machines also, but for mpv I couldn't find such option, so not sure it works on other machines)

For info: To see which different mpv packages in repos run "apt-cache policy mpv" (after running "apt-get update")
On my "full type" Stretch-live build (32 bit), it is:
Code:
apt-cache policy mpv
mpv:
  Installed: 1:0.9.4-ddjessie
  Candidate: 1:0.27.0-ddstretch
  Version table:
     1:0.27.0-ddstretch 500
        500 https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i386/Packages ./ Packages
 *** 1:0.9.4-ddjessie 500
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:0.9.3-ddjessie 500
     1:0.9.2-ddjessie 500
     0.23.0-2+b2 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main i386 Packages

Upgrading to (latest) version 1:0.27.0-ddstretch:
Code:
After this operation, 21.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Installing official Debian version:
Code:
apt-get install mpv=0.23.0-2+b2
After this operation, 97.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Fred

dancytron

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov 2017, 18:07    Post subject:  

I upgraded my mpv to the newest version using synaptic. It added a couple of new libs when upgrading.

Seems to work fine (although the old version worked fine too).

Is there a particular advantage to the new version?

edit: To bring back the old style On Screen Display, follow instructions here. https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/FAQ#I_want_the_old_OSC_back

You create a file /root/.config/mpv/lua-settings/osc.conf with this in it:

Code:
layout=box
seekbarstyle=slider
deadzonesize=0
minmousemove=3

The instructions say you can put the new file in /etc/mpv or /root/.config/mpv, but only /root/.config worked for me.

For more settings in the osc.conf file, see https://mpv.io/manual/stable/ search it for osc.conf to find the right section. There are lots of options. I just made it bigger when full screen with "scalefullscreen=1.5"
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov 2017, 08:40    Post subject:  

Hi Dan, thanks for testing and the info (didn't know about the lua settings)

About advantage of newer version, I don't really know (I'm a simple user, just playing some different audio/video formats)
The 0.9 version has one disadvantage, it works only with OSS (so therefore depending on package "oss-compat" installed)
The alsa-equalizer doesn't work for me when using mpv 0.9 version (where it does work with mplayer and works with new mpv 0.27 version)

EDIT: I see now that newer version has visible playlist (never seen that with the older version), see pic.

Fred
mpv_playlist.png
 Description   Mpv visible playlist
 Filesize   169.05 KB
 Viewed   459 Time(s)

mpv_playlist.png

Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 09:56; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov 2017, 09:07    Post subject:  

Stretch prefers the libinput driver over the older synaptics driver for configuring input devices. Here is a little front-end that handles some basic touchpad/mouse/touchscreen options like speed, tapping, scrolling and button mapping. For example, you could configure two separate mice/pointers with different speed settings.

Its dependencies are xserver-xorg-input-libinput and xinput. If you have already installed synaptics, you may need to remove it.

Update: V1.3 re-organizes some properties. Delete any current .conf files with Reset.

--------------------
snappie.png
 Description   
 Filesize   19.66 KB
 Viewed   41 Time(s)

snappie.png

touchpad_1.3.deb.gz
Description  Updated 2017-11-18
Delete old .conf files with Reset
gz

Download 
Filename  touchpad_1.3.deb.gz 
Filesize  5.67 KB 
Downloaded  11 Time(s) 

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 18:52; edited 11 times in total
jd7654

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov 2017, 13:26    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Stretch prefers the libinput device driver over the older synaptics driver for configuring touchpads. Here is a little front-end that handles some basic touchpad options.

Its dependencies are xserver-xorg-input-libinput, xinput.

If you have already installed synaptics, you probably need to remove it.

Out of curiosity, I tried installing this and my touchpad stopped working. Of course, that was because I saw it was requiring libinput but that dependency wasn't installed.

I thought we settled the touchpad driver issue long ago (p.7-9,19) in the thread. Fred swapped libinput for evdev for some functionality, and then later it was agreed to add back synaptics for more compatibility. So that combination which is default in SD works fine for me already. Only thing I do is manually add the following 3 lines to 70-synaptics.conf to get tap to click working:
Code:
   Option "TapButton1" "1"
   Option "TapButton2" "3"
   Option "TapButton3" "2"

Anyway, in my case I could not use this tool, I just manually add lines to synaptics to get tap buttons working, that is all I need done. In Puppy I would use flsynclient gui for that.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov 2017, 14:19    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
Of course, that was because I saw it was requiring libinput but that dependency wasn't installed.

It does on a clean setup. Check the control file.

Quote:
I thought we settled the touchpad driver issue long ago (p.7-9) in the thread.

Sorry. I didn't realize that I was obliged to honour other people's decisions when I build my own system.

Quote:
In Puppy I would use flsynclient gui for that.

What's your point? That a GUI in Puppy is a good thing, but this project doesn't need them?
jd7654

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov 2017, 14:33    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
jd7654 wrote:
Of course, that was because I saw it was requiring libinput but that dependency wasn't installed.

It does on a clean setup. Check the control file.

I was simply pointing out an example of a problem that can occur. Such as dpkg install on a small package. Feedback can be ignored.

Quote:
Quote:
I thought we settled the touchpad driver issue long ago (p.7-9) in the thread.

Sorry. I didn't realize that I was obliged to honour other people's decisions when I build my own system.

You don't. I was simply pointing out the problems which were encountered early on with various users touchpad compatibility, and that what works for many users probably should be considered in what goes into default recipies or full dog builds. You can always do what you want for your own builds.

Quote:
Quote:
In Puppy I would use flsynclient gui for that.

What's your point? That a GUI in Puppy is a good thing, but this project doesn't need them?

On the contrary. The point was, that in Puppy there is a easy gui to configure touchpad tap to click functions, but Dog did not have that. So I tried your app to see if it could easily do what I do manually and what flsynclient does, But as pointed out, in my case I would not use it because it would require libinput, which I don't need.
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov 2017, 18:41    Post subject:  

Hi rcrsn51 and jd7654,

I can't really join the discussion about touchpad, because It seems to work well in all cases for me (but, to be honest, I 'm not really a touchpad user)
My setup is without "xserver-xorg-input-libinput" installed (but having "xserver-xorg-input-evdev" installed)
The disadvantage for me if I have "xserver-xorg-input-libinput" installed is that "lxinput" (from menu: "Keyboard and mouse") doesn't work for mouse acceleration/sensitivity, is that the case for you also ?

Maybe one of you can make mini-howto about these touchpad issues ?
(depending on which cases, e.g. installed libinput or not, etc...)

Fred

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov 2017, 00:00    Post subject:  

See v1.2 above.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 09:41; edited 1 time in total
zagreb999

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov 2017, 09:34    Post subject: Print to DjVu through KPrinter  

REGARDS...

HOW TO Print to DjVu through KPrinter?

https://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/17525.html
Page 56 of 59 [874 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: