Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 16:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Tahrpup 605 Won't Mount Encrypted External Drives
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Bobby

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 12:49    Post subject:  Tahrpup 605 Won't Mount Encrypted External Drives  

Hi all,

The subject of the title is self-explanatory. I think I download all the requirements to be able to mount an encrypted external HD. I downloaded cryptsetup, dm-crypt, lvm2, and device mapper. I also downloaded gnome-disk-utility because I would like to format my other external HDs but everytime I click on disks (gnome-disk-utility) nothing shows up. Absolutely nothing shows up and my non encrypted HD doesn't even show up when mounted. So what the hell. I figured this distro is awesome but I can't even get the basic of things and they don't seem to work. IDK maybe I'm missing something or I may just remove this distro and use any puppy linux or derivative because they all might be the same if something as simple as gnome-disk-utility, mounting encrypted HDs seems impossible.

I am using Tahrpup PAE latest version HP 17-g121wm laptop
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 14:16    Post subject:  

This info may work for you.
Start from this post.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=882797#882797

Before downloading and installing from PPM (Puppy package manager)
Update PPM data base.
PPM>configure>update database

I would uninstall what you did install and start over following the above posted info.

Before doing any of the commands after installing Cryptsetup.
Reboot so Cryptsetup install is saved and anything needed by it is loaded.

Last edited by bigpup on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 14:29; edited 3 times in total
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 14:23    Post subject:  

Quote:
I am using Tahrpup PAE

This is not enough info.
Always, always, always tell us the exact version. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Tahrpup PAE could be:

Tahrpup 6.0
Tahrpup 6.0.2
Tahrpup 6.0.5

mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 14:51    Post subject:  

I assume you are coming from a Gnome-based Linux distro? Puppy doesn't use Gnome, and it has its own tools for many tasks.

I have no idea if gnome-disk-utility even works with Puppy. Have you tried GParted for disk partitioning? You'll find it in the "System" menu. For mounting, you use either the desktop drive icons, or the "pmount" utility (it usually has a desktop icon, but it can also be found in the "Filesystem" menu).

I'm afraid I can't help with the encryption stuff, I have no experience with that.
jafadmin

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 18:42    Post subject:  

As far as I know, Puppy Linux has no integrated automation for dmcrypt/cryptsetup/LUKS.

It does have the cryptsetup command line tools, however, so you can do these tasks manually.

For my own use, I wrote some LUKS gtk scripts to handle all tasks associated with encryption, but they are not automated.
Bobby

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov 2017, 15:24    Post subject: Encrypted External Drives Won't Mount
Subject description: encryption, encrypted, external, drives, won't, mount, cryptsetup, LUKS/dmcrypt

Thanx for the replies all. Yes, I come from a debian/Ubuntu based distro. I, however, decided to use Veracrypt to encrypt my external drives and it's been good so far. I might experiment with the suggestions from the link from above.
Oh and it was version Tahrpup 6.0.5

Again thanx. Smile
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017, 05:32    Post subject:  

It's been my experience that encrypting everything in sight usually causes more aggravation than it prevents. Among all the terabytes of personal data I possess, there is no one single item that I would be worried or bothered about someone else seeing.....so I see no point in encryption. I'd far sooner have multiple copies of the data so I don't lose it!

As mostly_lurking says, Puppy is not Gnome-based (and, personally, if it was, I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. Gnome 2 was awesome; Gnome 3 is the biggest abortion there's ever been on the face of this planet...)

Puppy does have its own tools for this kind of thing, though I personally can't see the need. I mean, who are you trying to protect your data from? It's nearly as bad as the mythos that's grown up around 'not using root'.....(to the point where people are almost afraid of their own machines).

And Linux was supposed to empower the individual..... Shocked (*shakes head in astonishment*)

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: