Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 19 Nov 2017, 05:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Dec., 2016; 2017 RC
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 66 of 66 [979 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 64, 65, 66
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct 2017, 06:17    Post subject:  

Robert123 wrote:
Hi Mike,

I wonder how easy it is to tweak chrome like Watchdog's magic - it is so wonderful to be able to still run old Pups and have a modern Browser. Recommend Watchdog for a knighthood.

Hi, Robert.

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with watchdog on this score. Chrome is a nightmare; every release has newer and newer requirements all the time. However, for Lucid, I'm not looking at constant upgrades; 32-bit Linux Chrome stopped at version 48, so I really just want one single version of Chrome adapted to run on Lucid. All I'd like is to be able to sync my bookmarks and extensions.....Chrome 26 is just too old for that anymore..!

---------------------------------------------------

@watchdog: You don't fancy explaining to me how I can do this, do you? *Pretty please.....with sprinkles on?* Laughing Battleshooter's 'glibc upgrade' works nicely for Racy; might the same thing be possible for Lucid, d'you think?

If you want any details, just ask. I'm more than happy to contribute at my end...

Mike. Wink

keniv

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov 2017, 08:28    Post subject:  

Hello All
OscarTalks has provided a lucid version of links 2.14 in this thread
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100642&start=15 at the very bottom thead on the page. I am posting from it now. It is a bit weird but renders quite well, is usable and is very fast. You can easily transfer bookmarks by exporting bookmarks.html from another browser and placing them in
/root/.links. You can edit them in links. I even made a bookmarks toolbar of sorts (see image). I still have a problem though. I can log into this forum but I am a member of a number of vintage electronics forums which I cannot log into. It's not a user name or password thing. I hope to overcome this problem. Again another possible browser for those using limited hardware.

Regards,

Ken
image-1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   11 KB
 Viewed   326 Time(s)

image-1.jpg

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017, 06:16    Post subject:  

Morning, all.

Quick query; would anybody happen to know where the clock on the fbpanel taskbar reads its fonts from?

I fancy adding the 'Michroma' font as employed by Carolina Vanguard. However, to do so, I need to know where to place it.....

--------------------------------------------------

EDIT:- OK, solved; answered my own question!

/usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/Michroma.ttf PupClockSet picks it up as expected.....after a re-boot.

(Obtained from here, in case anybody else is interested...)

Looks rather good, too!

Mike. Wink

rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov 2017, 18:15    Post subject: Release Candidate 20171110
Subject description: For lupu, sulu2 & sulu4, so far

After experimenting with the various browsers provided in this thread I conclude that only seamonkey-2.46 is reliable with lucid pup. Even with 2.46, flashplayer issues some warnings that do not seem to impact its operation. SM-2.48 and Palemoon require at least the glibc 2.19 upgrade of the glib components but issue some warnings or errors when used with add-ons.

Furthermore, sylpheed 3.4.1 issues error messages and OpenSSL seems to cause problems with other programs rejecting newer versions of some library components.

To maintain Lucid Pup's reputation for stability, I omit the upgrades that provide or require library components beyond those provided by the Lucid repos. That means that the new openssl and sylpheed, as well as the glibc219 and palemoon installer packages are not included, as they were in the beta ISOs. However, the glibc219 and palemoon installer packages are available (see below) for those accepting the limitations of seamonkey 2.48 and palemoon in the lucid environment.

I expect this to be the final release of lucid pup 5.2.8.7 unless there are last-minute patches. It is intended for those installations that don't need the latest browsers or cannot be upgraded to a newer Puppy due to hardware constraints. Because of the browser situation, I feel it is time to move on to XenialPup or some other relatively new Puppy. I plan to migrate to Xenial 7.0.9 for my own use, but am open to other recommendations.

I view the new release as a a "release candidate", to allow for fixes. So, please report any issues that should be corrected for this final version.

The 20171110 release disk images are here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5il6yef4h3sdj

The main upgrades are:
    - Network connection upgrade for changing among SNS, Network Wizard and Frisbee.
    - CRDA wifi modem for international regulation compliance
    - RedShiftGUI and redshiftgui_startup added for automatic control of day/night screen color temperature
    - Many updates to current applications

Xorg driver reorganization: Moved all drivers to operatonal directory from backup directory, to ensure that only the newest versions are used.

Added/updated packages:
    - ca-certificates-2016-01-04.pet
    - frisbee-1.4.6.pet - for network connect
    - getflash-1.7-1.pet
    - get_libreoffice-0.40.pet
    - grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.2.pet (shinobar) (20171007)
    - gtkdialog-splash-20120321.pet
    - iw_0.9.19~ubuntu1_i386.deb - for network connect CRDA capability
    - libbsd0_0.2.0-1_i386.deb - for sftp
    - libpostproc51_0.5.9-0ubuntu0.10.04.3_i386.deb
    - libswscale0_0.5.9-0ubuntu0.10.04.3_i386.deb
    - libxcb-randr0_1.5-2ubuntu0.1_i386.deb - for redshiftGUI
    - modeset0-lucid-20171005.pet - added GeForce 6150 (& LE, SE) for sulu2 (20171007)
    - pdiag-20170329.pet
    - peasy_dvd_player-1.4.pet
    - peasyport-2.3.pet
    - pgprs-2.0.2.pet - for network connect
    - pmusic-5.2.7_lucid.pet
    - Pup-Control-3.2.pet
    - PupMenu-5.1.1
    - Pup-SysInfo-2.7.3.pet
    - redshiftGUI-0.2.1.pet
    - redshiftGUI_startup-20171110.pet
    - wcpufreq-1.1-noarch.pet
    - wireless-crda_1.12_i386.deb - for network connect CRDA capability
    - YASSM-4.1.pet

Infrastucture updates (zz_lupu-delta-20171107):
    - network_connect_update-20170624-lucid.pet + updates
    - python_fix_for_5.2.8.7-20161228.pet - for CRDA capability (python link)
    - Quickpet_Fix_for_nVidia_video-20170130.pet
    - /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - extend wait for usb mouse in CD boot-up
    - /usr/sbin/remaster_package_check - correct PET conflict detection (20171007)

Notes:
    Seamonkey browser/mail: Version 2.46 is the last that will run in Lucid Pup without the glibc 2.19 support package. Version 2.48 generally works but sometimes distorts menu lists, slanting them and making them difficult or impssible to navigate. I do not know how to fix that, so welcome any advice on that. I had to revert to 2.46 because I was unable to manage my email due to that persistent distortion.

Network Connection Upgrade: This straightens out the details of switching among the three network managers and allows use of a manager different from the default (and back), without confusing the connect wizardry.

Wifi/wireless CRDA: This can ensure that wifi modem operations comply with regulations in the country of operation. This relates to constraints on channel availability (1-11 vs. 1-4, etc) and transmission power. This is useful in countries where channels 12-14 are legal. By default, only channels 1-11 are allowed.

The following packages in the betas are omitted from the final release:
    - glibc219_runtime-lucid-20170907.pet - for seamonkey 2.48+, palemoon
    - palemoon_installer-0.2.3-lucid.pet

- openssl-1.0.2l-i486-w5.pet

- sylpheed-3.4.1-p4.pet
    - gnupg2_2.0.14-1ubuntu1.7_i386.deb - for sylpheed-3.4.1
    - gnupg-agent_2.0.14-1ubuntu1.7_i386.deb - for sylpheed-3.4.1
    - libgpgme11_1.2.0-1.2ubuntu1.1_i386.deb - for sylpheed-3.4.1
    - libksba8_1.0.7-2_i386.deb - for sylpheed-3.4.1
    - libpth20_2.0.7-14_i386.deb - for sylpheed-3.4.1
    - pinentry-gtk2_0.7.6-1_i386.deb - for sylpheed-3.4.1

- retrovol-0.14.3.2-X.pet
    - retrovol_NLS-0.14.3.2-X.pet

To add support for seamonkey 2.48+ and palemoon, install glibc219_runtime and (optionally) palemoon_installer (which installs SSE version where necessary):
Page 66 of 66 [979 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 64, 65, 66
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: