Folder icons with a green dot. How to do it?

Using applications, configuring, problems
amigo

#21 Post by amigo »

May be a bug. It's a feature, I'd say. I mean, it's just one of those things that rox does arbitrarily, like setting the text-color to green for any executables.

fernan

#22 Post by fernan »

I have the PNG, set the icon from the contextual menu, the image is copied into the dir, but the icon doesn't change. Restarted the system a couple of times since yesterday, no change, the .DirIcon file is there, but the icon doesn't change.

I'll forget about this. Too complex just to change one icon, I can't imagine how complex will be to mark folders with colors.
This is the image in question: (I removed the dot at the beginning of the name and added png extension to avoid problems when uploading the file)
Attachments
DirIcon.png
(4.49 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

MochiMoppel

#23 Post by MochiMoppel »

fernan wrote:I have the PNG, set the icon from the contextual menu, the image is copied into the dir, but the icon doesn't change.
Works fine for me. Check directory /usr/local/apps. If the ROX apps in this directory display their .DirIcons your icon should work.
I'll forget about this. Too complex just to change one icon, I can't imagine how complex will be to mark folders with colors.
There is nothing complex about it and a very simple script could make it painless. 1) Select directories you want to mark and 2) drag them to a desktop icon, representing your DirIcon. That's all. Provided of course that your ROX-Filer works as expected.
Attachments
diricons.png
(48.84 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

fernan

#24 Post by fernan »

It seems the icon works on some folders, but not on others:

In /root, i could change one folder, but in /mnt/home/Sync, not. The 2 dirs with BOLD have the icon changed, .DirIcon file inside, but not shown.

Never mind, I'll leave it alone, spent too many time already for this simple task.
Attachments
capture17394.png
(51.1 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
capture16501.png
(53.3 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

belham2

#25 Post by belham2 »

I just wanted to say "thanks" for this thread, and 'thank you' to Step and Mochi for explaining about .DirIcons.

I never realized it was this easy to set them up. My first experience doing it, inside my Green Machine (peebee's latest Artfulpup).
Attachments
dirIcons-root-and-all-folders.png
(86.54 KiB) Downloaded 46 times