GIMP 2.7 or later for Lucid 5287?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mike Walsh

GIMP 2.7 or later for Lucid 5287?

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

Just a quick question (I know rerwin's Lucid thread would probably be better for this than here, but he's not been seen there for a few weeks); does anybody happen to know if there's a later GIMP package than 2.6 which will work in Lucid? Reason I ask is that 2.7 (and later) had the 'single-window mode'.....which I find an awful lot simpler to use than the multi-window 'standard' setup.

Any responses will, as always, be very much appreciated.

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

You could try shinobar's gimp-2.7.1-1-w5.sfs, available here: http://shinobar.server-on.net/puppy/opt/pup5/ or pemasu's gimp 2.7.2 pet or sfs, available here: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-exprimo/.

Try pemasu's first. It's the one I used in Saluki/Carolinas, so should run under Lucid. It's that glibc thing again. :lol:

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Mike.

Ah, thank you. I'll check 'em both out, and let you know which one works better.

As most of you are aware by now, I'm one of those oddball individuals who's been using both Photoshop and the GIMP alongside each other for years & years. The GIMP's definitely superior to Photoshop in some respects, though they both have their place.

I'm pretty handy with the GIMP after all this time.....but I just don't like all those separate windows floating around the screen. That's why I was really pleased when they introduced 'single-window' mode in 2.7.....but you just don't see many packages for that particular release. Probably because it was relatively short-lived; they were sketching out 2.8 even before they released the beta previews of 2.7.....

Thanks again.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mmm...

Well, Mike; I wish I could say your efforts were usefully employed (!!) They were certainly appreciated....but it transpires that the 2.7 releases were basically one giant 'beta' for 2.8, from start to finish. Both of the packages you pointed me at certainly worked....but to call them 'buggy' was putting it mildly.

The 'About' window prominently named them as 'Unstable development release; you have been warned'.

Stuff kept jumping around all over the place; I couldn't live with that, so 2.6.6 went back in again, I'm afraid. At least things stayed where I put them..!

On a more positive note, I've gone from one (non-working) media player to 3 fully functional ones.....and have at least 2 working video editors. I'm really quite pleased with a Pup that originally only went in on a brief 'trial' to help another forum member out with a couple of queries about the Blink-based browsers!

And, although I'm almost ashamed to admit it, one of the media players came from 'Puppyite's puppylinuxfaq.org site.....'cos it was compiled for Lucid originally. It's an old version....but it works; faultlessly.

(*shrug*)

(You probably remember all the fuss over him better than I do; I only know what I've gleaned from various years-old threads here & there...)

Anyroad, your research efforts didn't go in vain, since I'm now aware of a few more software sources than I was at the start of this thread, so.....thanks for that.

don570

gimp 2.9.5

#5 Post by don570 »

There is an app image of gimp 2.9.5 available
It works in recent 64 bit linux distros.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xndf7zlhpjbic ... Image?dl=0

----------------------------------------------------