Best Puppy(eee) For An eee-pc . . . ?

Using applications, configuring, problems
babaguy

Best Puppy(eee) For An eee-pc . . . ?

#1 Post by babaguy »

Hello All -

Just (cheekily) checking if there is - close at hand / easily available - a Puppy .iso for an ASUS eee-pc that some / all of you can recommend...?

I have one such net book pint-sized laptop; it currently has an older Ubuntu on it and its ethernet and wifi settings are not responding at all. It's so handy to tote while traveling - Any pointers will be - as ever! - gratefully received!!!

Thanks Puppy Peeps One & All!

- Babaguy
"Real happiness lies in making others happy." - Meher Baba

ally

#2 Post by ally »

jemimah's original puppeee is a work of art, sadly browers out of date although google-10 works ok and overwrites the original

darry1966 has done a lot of work on 4 series to update modern browsers so wait for him to chime in for details

jemimah also produced saluki which was an extension of puppeee

8geee has also done a lot of work on slacko for the eeepc

http://archive.org/details/PuppyLinuxPuppeee

http://archive.org/download/PuppyLinuxP ... eleron.iso

http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Saluki

http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_8Geee

:)

mikeslr

For a recent Web-browser, install Watchdog's Palemoon

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi babaguy,

Any of the Puppies ally suggested. Or any Carolina including Carolina (Vanguard). Do a Search for their threads/ISOs. https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... gsc.tab=0/. The Carolinas were rg66's, Geoffrey's, and Elroy's efforts to preserve and continue jemimah's work in Saluki after her departure. Carolina Vanguard by battleshooter was the last build which included the last version of Chromium these could run.

The ISOs of Saluki and the Carolinas include an adrvive (adrv_xxx.sfs) which, if present in the same folder as vmlinuz will be used to provide the Devs' selection of applications everyone may want. But you can remove/delete it and these Puppies will still boot to desktop. All contain an adrive-build program which will access a large repository allowing you to select just those applications you want. [Or, of course, you can also use Puppy Package Manager to individually install applications into your SaveFile]. Look for the listing of Control Panel on the Menu to access both PPM and Adrive-Builder. With adrive removed, the actual storage needs of these Puppies is only slightly more than 100 Mb and, of course, no RAM is used even to link to applications which aren't there.

But to obtain a Web-browser capable of viewing current websites, you'll want to install one of watchdog's palemoon-27.0.X-p4-glibc219tweak.pets, available here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 443#933443. It's the lack of current graphic libraries (glibc's) within an operating system which prevents older web-browsers from accessing or properly displaying some websites. Watchdog overcomes this by building the necessary glibc's into the pets. Palemoon was forked from firefox.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 15 May 2018, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

EONS-2018a

#5 Post by 8Geee »

This one has an Office and is based on Slacko5.7 by our own 01micko. Its been recently updated to patch the wifi (KRACK) and BASH (Printing) issues.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeslr wrote: It's the lack of current graphic libraries (glibc's) within an operating system which prevents older web-browsers from accessing or properly displaying some websites.
Mike.....! What did I tell you glibc stood for? You haven't forgotten already, surely?

What am I going to do with you, man....? Image Oy, vey...! :lol: :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------

@ally:-

We'll not see darry again, I'm afraid. Check the members listing, and you'll find his a/c no longer exists. He's been a regular over at LinuxQuestions, and on the Devuan forums for quite some time now.

I guess he got fed up with us.... (*shrug*) A shame, 'cos AnitaOS was really rather special.

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again babaguy,

I logged in again to point out that 8Gee less than an hour ago published an updated version of Slacko5.7 Mini-eee, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 753#971753, and discovered Mike Walsh's post immediately above.

Mike, as I've said often, I have the memory of a sieve :(. My mind processes things/events visually rather than digitally and then tries to generate a cause and effect relationship. Details are often lost in the process.

Currently, I remember neither (a) that you previously corrected me about glibc nor (b) what your correction was. What I did remember was that websites are constantly being 'upgraded' to present richer graphic content, that older web-browser have difficulty properly rendering them, if they can access them at all, unlike newer Web-browsers with newer glibcs. But, your post generated sufficient curiosity that I googled and discovered that

"The GNU C Library project provides the core libraries for the GNU system and GNU/Linux systems, as well as many other systems that use Linux as the kernel. These libraries provide critical APIs including ISO C11, POSIX.1-2008, BSD, OS-specific APIs and more. These APIs include such foundational facilities as open, read, write, malloc, printf, getaddrinfo, dlopen, pthread_create, crypt, login, exit and more."

I may remember some of that a couple minutes from now. At any rate, there's a good chance that I'll remember that glibc is responsible for more than the 'mere' handling of graphic libraries.

mikesLr

p.s. As to what to do with me: the next time I get to England (high up on my wife and my To-do-List) you can buy us both a pint. IIRC, you and I are both diabetic. So we can nurse our drinks while commiserating about the perils of age and the general decline of civilization.
Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

#8 Post by 8Geee »

Well, its not all glibc's fault. Browser settings also have an impact on how "rich" a webpage looks... the problem is that the "richness" contains ads, phones-in to a 3rd party, and tracks the end-user's habits. If one is OK with that, the browser can be altered to one's satisfaction. My spins look a bit ugly but are less prone to the above "monetization" processes.

I do know that most recent Linux-Browser builds need glibc 2.19+ but the web certainly looks OK with say 2.15.

JMHO
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mikeslr

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Good to know 8Gee.

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

@mikeslr:-

Mike; ^^^ :lol:

You're certainly right about one thing (which you are consistently correct about). With the way the web is constantly evolving, adding more & more content for so-called 'richness' :roll: , it is an inescapable fact that newer browsers are constantly required. And those newer browsers do, invariably, need a newer glibc to run.

Just remember this; the two most important elements of any Linux distro are

i) the kernel, and
ii) the glibc (and gnutils).

Without those, your distro won't even run.....much less be capable of accessing the web! That's just how critical the General 'C' library actually is; absolutely everything is written round it (and references it, at some point).

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi babaguy,

Another Puppy worth exploring is TahrPup 6.0.6 No PAE K-3.4.103 by roadkill13, published yesterday. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 224#973224. It was woof-built on an EEE PC 901, so I would think it should run on your eeepc.

An advantage of the Tahrpups is that the number of available-already-built reasonably-up-to-date applications which run under them is greater than under Slackos.

Because of the limited screen size of the eeepc's with which I'm familiar I find it more convenient to run Xfce or Openbox with a panel than the stock JWM. You might want to consider installing radky's FbBox 5, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 018#769018 and/or PupMenu 6.1, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 540#611540 on those Puppies which come with JWM.

mikesLr

babaguy

#12 Post by babaguy »

Yous Guys Are The *BEST*, I Tell Youz ! ! !

I've been thru all your swell posts one time, now I'm going to go back and read through 'em again with more discernment.

I plan to see if ( 'cause I don't know yet ) the eee-pc has an accommodating BIOS, so I can change the boot order, and then DBAN it - Or perhaps I could just do a re-partition. I don't have anything terribly important on the machine.

I will:
a) F2 > Change the Boot Order to make a portable CD/DVD drive looked at;
b) Either DBAN the hard drive, or simply boot the machine as normal and reformat the Hard Drive;
c) Create a CD or DVD from one of these .iso 's (on another machine), load that into my portable external CD/DVD drive;
d) load up the new Puppy and see how I like it -

That oughta do it - God Willin' an' the crick don't rise...

I *also* like a minimally "rich" web page, and normally use "No Script" with "Ad Block Plus" and/or some kind of cookie destroyer.

l0wt3ch - for one of his STUDIO 13.37 .iso 's - had a wonderful, slightly out-of-date and very privacy-respecting version of Firefox that still recognizes and is recognized BY all the HTML-5 web pages.

I don't know if l0wt3ch has made that available separately as a .pet, but if he hasn't, it sure would be a useful and REALLY WELL WORKING web browser to make available!!!

The current older Ubuntu on this eee has a nice picture as the "Wallpaper" and the main applications are in a thin strip down the right hand side of the screen. I'll try to use one of the Puppy-eee 's that can render that.

To mikeslr, Mike Walsh, 8Geee, and ally - Thanks Again - I'll let you all know how I get on (at some point, as always, when I get a little breathing room and time! :-) - Okay?

babaguy

Update - And More Questions . . .

#13 Post by babaguy »

Hello Again, All -

I managed to make bootable .iso image CDs for two of 8Geee 's Slacko 5.7 versions and decided on the mini17c.iso:

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_8Geee

At first I couldn't make the boot order in the BIOS for the eee pc change or recognize the portable CD drive I'd attached to the machine. If YOU are having the same trouble, go here:

http://practicalrambler.blogspot.co.uk/ ... -from.html

Practical Rambler explains it simply and his advice worked!

I've added some programs via the Puppy Package Manager, but I'm also having some difficulties.

I downloaded an OpenBox Window Manager, and switched from the JWM, to see if it would yield more space, as suggested in the thread above. Yes, more space, but in trying to eliminate a Factbook icon in the tool bar, I wiped out ALL apps in the toolbar, and can't seem to bring them back.

( I tried a WellMinded search just now and found that our beloved WellMinded domain is . . . Up for sale!!! Nooby would be shocked!! )

[edit:]Nope! It's still here!

http://wellminded.net63.net/

I've also downloaded a .pet of Chromium for a web browser. It is downloaded and installed, it appears in the menu, but when I click on it - NOTHING. I found it in the file system and clicked on it but got the error message that this type of file cannot be clicked...!!

In experimenting the with Open Box window manager and wiping out the tool bar icons - I've also eliminated app icons from the JWM windows!

I would like to have a clickable desktop icon for my web browser - and a web browser that opens! (Haven't tried the Pale Moon suggested above on this machine, as the Chromium is in the Slacko or Slackware repository included in 8Geee's mini17c - and it ought to work, no? ).

I would also like to have a trash bin on the desktop, and one or two other applications present and clickable.

I did manage to install the PWidgets, and the familiar clock and calendar are old friends on my newly Puppy-fied eee pc.

I haven't tried to install this Slacko on the machine's hard drive ( it has one of the smaller Solid State Drives ), but if / when I do. I'll probably do it by using GParted and just re-size or eliminate the current Ubuntu'd partition, and create a new partition for the Puppy.

All in all, It's been fairly painless so far. If there are any suggestions you can offer - as ever - I'll be most grateful!

Thanking you (again - and) in advance,

I am yours sincerely,

- babaguy

ally

#14 Post by ally »

i think the chromium issue requires a gconf*.pet, somebody else will need to confirm, vague memory

delete the previous install and frugal install your chosen puppy, it will be a base install ~150mb, or install to the sd card and boot from that

:)

mikeslr

While you're still exploring

#15 Post by mikeslr »

Hi babaguy,

I see from your last post that occasionally things get away from you. :) Well, it happens to the best of us.

By now I expect it to happen to me as I explore different Puppies, finding out what they can do, and what I can do with them and to them.

Before you get too deep into a Puppy to make recovery of what worked from some error impossible, you may want to consider one of the 'failsafe' methods I picked up from someone else: creating a 'protected' SaveFile/Folder. I discussed it in this post. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 170#973170. In your circumstances you can probably skip down to Step 9.

The other technique I use to recover from mistakes is to remove the Automatic Save. This thread discusses it: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 326#662326. With Slackos, Tahrpups and Xenialpups removing the Automatic Save is, at most, an easy 2-step process. As the purpose of Step 1 is to trick a Puppy into thinking it is being booted from a USB-Key, obviously if it IS being booted from a USB-Key Step 1 isn't necessary

(1) Edit the boot menu. Where, for example, it reads:

kernel /slacko/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=slacko pfix=fsck

edit it to read

kernel /slacko/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=slacko pfix=fsck

Note the only change is from atahd to ataflash.

(2) Boot into Puppy. Open Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager, Click the Save Session Tab, change Save interval to 0 (Zero), optionally place a check-mark in the "Ask at Shutdown" box.

With the Automatic Save removed, you can test most pets by Menu>Exit>Restart-x (AKA Graphical Server) which causes Puppy to re-catalog what then makes up its system. The pet you are testing is only in RAM. If it doesn't work or causes a problem, you can shutdown without Saving, and the pet and the problem is gone.

However, there are downsides to this technique. Applications expect to write to and open datafiles from /root/my-documents and /root also holds settings, configuration files and even such things as your web-browser's bookmarks. Changes to those will not become permanent unless you do a Manual Save. There are easy work-around so that those changes will immediately be written to Storage. It takes only a few minutes to set them up. In the next day or so I'll be posting a 'How To' on the thread I've referenced. Until then, you may want to forego turning off the Automatic Save.

mikesLr

babaguy

#16 Post by babaguy »

Hi Again Mike -

Things ALWAYS get away from me in Puppy, but sometimes less so than others...!

One encouraging sign is that I had already read through the "No Save File" thread you recommend - so I'm on the right track at least ( and probably at BEST, too...!! )

I simply must get to grips with BASH and basic Puppy commands about sym-linking and making icons clickable etc. ( I do have the Puppy command sheet downloaded and saved, from a few years back...!!!

I need to print it out and stick it up on the wall!

And I've PURCHASED a book about BASH. some months back... )

My latest idea is to try out one of the Carolina 's on this little sturdy little eee pc -

I'll report back ( no threat, just fact : -) . . . .

Best - as ever - and THANKS for the detailed advice, mikeslr. I appreciate it very much indeed.

Yours aye, until soon,

- Babaguy