Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 13 Dec 2017, 11:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Printing Envelopes Slow - Paper, not so
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
p310don

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov 2017, 23:46    Post subject:  Printing Envelopes Slow - Paper, not so  

I have just started using a new puppy, Battleshooter's XFCE-Xenial64 and am having a minor issue with printing.

I have managed to get printing working. The printer is a Samsung ML-2835DW. I had to install both the rcrsn51's Samsung driver AND run the install script from Samsung to get it to work using the Samsung drivers, which are better than the included drivers.

It prints flawlessly. EXCEPT, when I print an envelope through this printer's manual feed tray, it takes 30 seconds to start. The normal paper tray prints instantly.

I have used this printer for a couple of years with Puppy (CarolinaVG) with no problems, and instant printing of all media.

Any suggestions on what can make the envelopes print faster?
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov 2017, 03:20    Post subject:  

Many laser printers have a print delay when they have been asked to print multi-thickness paper - such as envelopes which can be 3 times the thickness of an ordinary piece of paper. This "feature" is usually intended to allow the fusing assembly to heat up to a level where there is enough "latent heat" in the fuser rollers to penetrate 3 layers of paper and melt the toner into the paper fibres of the page (rather than allowing the toner to flake off if the temperature has been too low).

Toner is actually finely ground plastic so it needs to be slightly melted before it will stick to the paper.

This slow printing should not occur in inkjet printers as they don't need to heat the paper - they just spray ink on the top layer.

Sometimes (depending on the driver) you can get around the problem by setting the printer (and/or the driver, and/or the paper type in the Word document...) to a thin paper type. This may require declaring a "custom" paper type and size.

If you can find a way to fool your printer into thinking it is printing a single thickness media that "just happens" to be the same custom size as your envelopes - you might get around the problem.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: