Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 22:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
USB live wont boot - linux
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [52 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
peterw

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov 2017, 15:50    Post subject: Fatdog on USB  

overkill22

I have had some further thoughts about why Fatdog did not complete the boot process. You can pass extra instructions to the boot process. A list of some pf them can be seen if you press the F1 to F4 buttons when you get to the Fatdog menu. So for example, whatever one of the 9 menu items you choose, you select press tab and add the instructions. What I would like you to try is after initrd add "mem=1950m waitdev=10" without the quotations marks.
overkill22

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov 2017, 03:25    Post subject: Re: Fatdog on USB  

peterw wrote:
overkill22

I have had some further thoughts about why Fatdog did not complete the boot process. You can pass extra instructions to the boot process. A list of some pf them can be seen if you press the F1 to F4 buttons when you get to the Fatdog menu. So for example, whatever one of the 9 menu items you choose, you select press tab and add the instructions. What I would like you to try is after initrd add "mem=1950m waitdev=10" without the quotations marks.

I'll try this with fatdog.
Meanwhile, how can I investigate about the puppy problem / install another kernel directly in the iso of the usb?
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov 2017, 03:52    Post subject:  

Thanks for sticking with this and trying to get it working!
This is really not normal for Puppy.

There are a bunch of questions to answer and things to try.
Need specific answers!!

When you try something need to see:
You do what?
You see what?
Any small thing, could be the clue to what is causing this.
WE ONLY KNOW WHAT YOU TELL US!!!!

bigpup wrote:
Puppy should be able to boot with no problem on this computer.
Those specs indicate, a normal computer, that Puppy boots on all the time.

Have you tried to put Puppy on a different USB flash drive?
Tried to use a different USB port to plug the drive into?
On the USB flash, are all the file names in lower case?

In the computers bios. Are you sure secure boot is disabled and or legacy boot is enabled?

I know you said the md5 checks OK.

I would still try a fresh new download of the iso.
Get them from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/

Could try Xenialpup. it has a much newer Linux kernel.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/xenialpup/

Do not know why this would be of any help, but I have seen posts in the forum about having to make two partitions on the USB flash drive.
First one, say 1GB in size, formatted fat32, flagged boot.
Second one, what is left, formatted anything, Ext 3 would be good format to put the Puppy save on.
Install Puppy to the first partition.

Unetbootin should be good to use to do the install to first partition.

peterw

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov 2017, 04:24    Post subject: Puppy Kernels  

overkill22.

All the programmes bundled into a Puppy (or any other Linux Distro for that matter) are made to work with a particular kernel. They are not directly interchangeable. Having said that sometimes you can swap two close numbered kernels and since they are very similar they work in practice and some programmes are so simple they work in all Puppies. So to get a Linux with a later kernel you have to find one. I am not sure which Puppy has which.

Your laptop is good with 3 USB3 ports and no USB2. I wonder if you have the possibility to try your USBs (Datatraveller USB2) in another machine just to see if that affects the issue.
overkill22

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov 2017, 04:26    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Thanks for sticking with this and trying to get it working!
This is really not normal for Puppy.

There are a bunch of questions to answer and things to try.
Need specific answers!!

When you try something need to see:
You do what?
You see what?
Any small thing, could be the clue to what is causing this.
WE ONLY KNOW WHAT YOU TELL US!!!!

I think I was telling every step I took. The picture in the first page could be the most useful hint since it report what puppy is looking for.
But for the boot problem I don't know what I can tell you. After I select to boot from usb in the bios, there is a black screen, and then mint starts. While I'm expecting boot from USB > puppy bootmanager > puppy live OS.

bigpup wrote:

Unetbootin should be good to use to do the install to first partition.

I've tried this way too, no luck either.

I short: I can't boot puppy. IF somehow I manage to boot puppy (but not in the proper way eg. I have to plug another USB with another live distro and use its bootmanager to load puppy), then puppy cannot load because of some missing files or stuff (see image in the first page).
overkill22

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov 2017, 04:28    Post subject: Re: Puppy Kernels  

peterw wrote:
overkill22.

All the programmes bundled into a Puppy (or any other Linux Distro for that matter) are made to work with a particular kernel. They are not directly interchangeable. Having said that sometimes you can swap two close numbered kernels and since they are very similar they work in practice and some programmes are so simple they work in all Puppies. So to get a Linux with a later kernel you have to find one. I am not sure which Puppy has which.

Your laptop is good with 3 USB3 ports and no USB2. I wonder if you have the possibility to try your USBs (Datatraveller USB2) in another machine just to see if that affects the issue.

Will try to boot my latest USB on a windows computer.
At the moment I did a unetbootin puppy installation on the USB formatted with 1gb FAT32 (boot flag) and 6gb EXT4, as previously suggested. I installed puppy on the FAT32 partition.
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov 2017, 14:49    Post subject:  

Sorry I can not help you.
I ask specific questions and need answer specific to those questions.

AS simple as. Have you tried to plug the USB flash drive into a different USB port?
It could be as simple as the USB flash drive is a USB2 and the USB3 port only works with USB 3 devices.
Something in the bios does not look at all ports for a OPS to boot from.
Who knows.

My computer actually has a usb port that only supplies power. No data transmission. Not easy to tell it by the symbol over the port.

Normal stuff does not seem to be working for you on this computer.

If the computer has a UEFI bios.
Are you sure secure boot is disabled and or legacy boot is enabled?

overkill22

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov 2017, 23:02    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Sorry I can not help you.
I ask specific questions and need answer specific to those questions.

AS simple as. Have you tried to plug the USB flash drive into a different USB port?

Yes. Not working either.

bigpup wrote:
It could be as simple as the USB flash drive is a USB2 and the USB3 port only works with USB 3 devices.

No, I've tried with both usb2 and usb3 devices.

bigpup wrote:
Something in the bios does not look at all ports for a OPS to boot from.
Who knows.

No, with other distro, same usb, the bios is seeing the usb.

bigpup wrote:
My computer actually has a usb port that only supplies power. No data transmission. Not easy to tell it by the symbol over the port.

I have one too, but it doesn't make difference. that port is a usb3 that can provide power even when the laptop is off (eg. for charging the phone).

bigpup wrote:
Normal stuff does not seem to be working for you on this computer.

If the computer has a UEFI bios.
Are you sure secure boot is disabled and or legacy boot is enabled?

Secure boot is definitely enabled. Don't know if legacy boot is enabled, will try that.

BTW the usb I've created that is not working on my computer, is working on an old windows laptop.

I still believe that could be a kernel problem (too old) and/or a uefi incompatibility.

and thank you again for your help and time! Very Happy
overkill22

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov 2017, 23:22    Post subject:  

Thanks to your hint I was able to boot from the USB.

1. The secure boot was DISABLED >>> still couldn't see the USB with Puppy
2. Disabled FAST BOOT >>> now I can see the USB with Puppy, but still it won't boot
3. Enabled LAUNCH CSM >>> now I can see the USB with Puppy, can choose between UEFI Puppy USB and Puppy USB. With UEFI won't boot. With the other it boot!

So i managed to boot Puppy on my Asus zenbook via disabling sercure boot, disabling fast boot, disabling launch csm.

Unfortunately now there is another problem that I think it is connected to the kernel. I can't see windows or anything other than the background.
I try to open a window, I see the window completely empty. Same goes for the menu.
If I hover on the window, some writings appear but not all and the button doesn't appear.
I'm not able to boot with the video wizard to set up the driver/kernel.

I have an Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics, graphic card.

Last edited by overkill22 on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 01:08; edited 1 time in total
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov 2017, 00:05    Post subject:  

Quote:
So i managed to boot Puppy on my Asus zenbook via disabling secure boot, disabling fast boot, disabling launch csm
That was what I was saying to disable secure boot.
Good to see you figured out about the other stuff you may have needed to disable.
Usually it only needs secure boot disabled, but you are not having normal luck, are you? Laughing

Have you tried Xenialpup?

The visual stuff you see is usually the indication of just a bad download of the Puppy iso or a bad install to the USB.
I have had bad installs, because the USB drive file system has errors.
Had to reformat the drive partition to get the file system correctly working.
Do a new install and all was good.

It could also be the graphics driver trying to be used.

The Intel processor internal graphics has had driver issues in the past.
Xenialpup should have the latest version driver.

You have tried to boot it more than one time, just to see if it may have just been a bad bootup? Do it from a completely powered off, power back on retry of the bootup.

overkill22

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov 2017, 04:52    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Quote:
So i managed to boot Puppy on my Asus zenbook via disabling secure boot, disabling fast boot, disabling launch csm
That was what I was saying to disable secure boot.
Good to see you figured out about the other stuff you may have needed to disable.
Usually it only needs secure boot disabled, but you are not having normal luck, are you? Laughing

Have you tried Xenialpup?

The visual stuff you see is usually the indication of just a bad download of the Puppy iso or a bad install to the USB.
I have had bad installs, because the USB drive file system has errors.
Had to reformat the drive partition to get the file system correctly working.
Do a new install and all was good.

It could also be the graphics driver trying to be used.

The Intel processor internal graphics have had driver issues in the past.
Xenialpup should have the latest version driver.

You have tried to boot it more than one time, just to see if it may have just been a bad bootup? Do it from a completely powered off, power back on retry of the bootup.

tried with xenial pup, nothing to do, when booting it doesn't find the OS.

however, I've tried Puppy on a windows computer and it is working great.
BUT while installing electrum I've got an error.
They changed something so now to install I have to use pip3 instead to pip2. I've installed all the necessary packaging and library using a ppa, everything was fine, but when I give the command
Code:
pip3 install https://download.electrum.org/3.0.1/Electrum-3.0.1.tar.gz

It says something about location error.

I've searched and found a workaround on StackExchange that is to make a symlink from python3 to python3.5, but it's not working either.

With the time I spent on this I could have bought a new dedicated computer.

It would be great if I can make this electrum working on Puppy, but at this time it seems there is no hope. Sad
peterw

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov 2017, 09:25    Post subject: Puppy and Electrum  

overkill22

Still don't know why you are having trouble booting from USB. When you have tried some of my suggestions as well, I may be able to help further.

With regard to Electrum, the instructions you are using are most probably those for an Ubuntu or Debian variant. That is not the same as for Puppy. If you want to use Electrum in Puppy you may have to compile it yourself. I have looked on the Ubuntu Synaptic Software Search and Electrum does not appear there.

I tend to duel boot Puppy and another/s OS like an Ubuntu variant so that for some task I can use it with its larger collection of software and the ability to install programmes such as your Electrum package. I suggest that this may be a better course of action for you..
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov 2017, 13:25    Post subject:  

Quote:
tried with xenial pup, nothing to do, when booting it doesn't find the OS.

If it worked with another Puppy, it should at least been able to see Xenialpup and try to boot it.

electrum
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91822

jeff757

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov 2017, 19:34    Post subject: xenialpup won't boot  

overkill22
Please try the following on your live usb of xenialpup, edit isolinux.cfg and add psubdir=/name of folder where you put xenialpup i.e. psubdir=/xenialpup64-7.0.8.5-uefi before pmedia=usbflash. This is needed due to the new search routines in initrd to find puppy.sfs files faster.
I only do manual syslinux live boots with a separate folder for each puppy and use the corresponding syslinux.cfg. I put the folder name in front of boot.msg, help.msg, vmlinuz and initrd.gz. I also open boot.msg as text and put the folder name in front logo.16.
Posting from xeniapup64-7.0.8.6 after adding psubdir=/.... after getting puppy_xenial64-7.0.8.6.sfs not found.

jeff
overkill22

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov 2017, 22:26    Post subject: Re: xenialpup won't boot  

jeff757 wrote:
overkill22
Please try the following on your live usb of xenialpup, edit isolinux.cfg and add psubdir=/name of folder where you put xenialpup i.e. psubdir=/xenialpup64-7.0.8.5-uefi before pmedia=usbflash. This is needed due to the new search routines in initrd to find puppy.sfs files faster.
I only do manual syslinux live boots with a separate folder for each puppy and use the corresponding syslinux.cfg. I put the folder name in front of boot.msg, help.msg, vmlinuz and initrd.gz. I also open boot.msg as text and put the folder name in front logo.16.
Posting from xeniapup64-7.0.8.6 after adding psubdir=/.... after getting puppy_xenial64-7.0.8.6.sfs not found.

jeff

Sorry, I don't understand your instructions.
I changed the pmedia to usbflash (it was cd).
Then what folder are you talking about?
In the list of the file in my USB I don't have the xenialpup64-7.0.8.5-uefi, but only puppy_xenialpup64_7.0.8.6.sfs or zdrv_xenialpup64_7.0.8.6.sfs that I don't know if they are the same.

Do I have to create a special folder?
Do I have to install a different version of xenialpuppy?
Page 3 of 4 [52 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: