ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-RC)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sheldonisaac

claws-mail

#341 Post by sheldonisaac »

Sage (in part) wrote:.. Claws is so much more sophisticated..
Sage, I may adopt musher0's Xenial as my everyday Puppy. How can I get an .sfs of the latest claws-mail (or the best, if the latest has flaws) which works in that Puppy?
Thank you,
Sheldon Isaac
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Sage

#342 Post by Sage »

How can I get an .sfs of the latest claws-mail
No idea about .sfs - never use them. Ask the developer. If you use a major Linux distro, you can just d/l it from their package manager - they all have it, it's the de facto professional standard these days. If you search, I'm sure Puppy users have used Claws before?

musher0

#343 Post by musher0 »

@sheldonisaac

I've created a claws-mail sfs and pet for the xenialPup. Please see my xenial thread.

IHTH
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

sheldonisaac

#344 Post by sheldonisaac »

musher0 wrote:@sheldonisaac

I've created a claws-mail sfs and pet for the xenialPup. Please see my xenial thread.

IHTH
Hi, musher0. Yes, thank you.
That's the one you told me of, at
http://www.murga-linux.compuppyviewtopi ... 430#972430

I've put together some old and oldish hardware, and have booted your Xenial on that computer.
I did the auto-install of claws-mail from ppm, and have started to use it:
Claws Mail 3.13.2
Thanks again.

Oh, maybe I've misunderstood?
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

hamoudoudou

Encrypt you savefile

#345 Post by hamoudoudou »

watchdog wrote:
mavrothal wrote: i was able to create both a lightencrypted and an heavyencrypted savefile at first shutdown after installing cryptsetup as suggested. The heavyencrypted savefile (crypta) works and can be mounted by filemnt: I copied the previously created savefolder in it. Is this the luks encryption you refer to? The last time I saw it was in xenialpup64 7.0.8.5 and the savefile had the "luks" suffix in its name. The lightencrypted savefile cannot be mounted: so, is lightencryption no longer supported as obsolete? And in this case why is a chance to create a lightencrypted savefile offered? Some advices are needed in my opinion about these news in puppy's encryption of the savefile.
For people who don't trust either their wife, children at home or thieves or Madrid or Barcelone or Moscow

Spouse and children ? Please add husband , father
Puppy linux in the past launched Saving process after shutdown so explanations about wife and kids were not available.
Attachments
encryption.jpg
Esposa y ninos
(88.82 KiB) Downloaded 757 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

process works as it is, password asked during boot.

#346 Post by hamoudoudou »

process works as it is, password asked during boot.
My children are far now, my wife too. Could be very useful for many of you, to prevent anybody to play with (Break !) your puppy.
Don't forget your password :!:
Of Course let Basic ISO remains available for use.. It would be idiot to prevent your family to test Puppy Linux.. Only one computer at Home.. well..
S-kami will check for Hungary Puppy Linux team.. Gracias Vicmz para su trabajo ! Looking for ambassadors in Africa...
Nilson leads the dance for latinos, with Josejp2424.
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

reboot keyboard is US.. Passwords refused !

#347 Post by hamoudoudou »

caution : when you create your password, suppose "amaedus" when reboot keyboard is US.... A is Q for french.. Think about it :!: pensez y ...

backi

#348 Post by backi »

Hi !
Artful Pup does not show my external usb-harddisk formatted Fat32 when inserted ......
the same goes for Tahrpup 6.06.
Tahrpup 6.0.5 does show and mount that Drive .......also Xenial Dog .
Is there somethings missing ....Drivers ---Programms which is included in Tahrpup 6.0.5 and Xenial Dog ?

Thanks in advance !

peebee

#349 Post by peebee »

backi wrote:Artful Pup does not show my external usb-harddisk formatted Fat32 when inserted ......
Any clues in dmesg??
What is output from lsusb??
Can gparted or pmount see the disk??
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

backi

#350 Post by backi »

Hi Peebee !

Gparted does show that external Drive. Pmount Does NOT .

melon688

#351 Post by melon688 »

user report

PPM > Configure package manager > Update database > Update now

for artfulpup,you have to press ENTER many times.
for xenialpup,you just press ENTER one time.

bigpup

#352 Post by bigpup »

PPM > Configure package manager > Options

UN-select Use verbose method during update of the package databases

If this option is selected. It asks to confirm or not, each repository database update.

Also, look at the other possible options.
A lot of useful options, as to how PPM will work.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

melon688

#353 Post by melon688 »

for artfulpup,
check two options,
(see ppm.png)
when do
PPM > Configure package manager > Update database > Update now
you just need to press ENTER one time.

THANKS
Attachments
ppm.png
(158.72 KiB) Downloaded 1288 times

peebee

#354 Post by peebee »

Update 17.11+5 - openssl updates
Last edited by peebee on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 17:08, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

belham2

#355 Post by belham2 »

Hi Peebee (and all),

Not sure if anyone else is seeing this, but I first noticed it on Zestypup and it has carried through to Artfulpup. After you get the pup all set up, it has a savefolder/file, and you go about using the pup for many successive boots, never once---if you right-click the network tray icon---will you be able to have the "Disconnect From Network" work. I often like to disconnect the network when either doing stuff offline and/or letting the computer sit for awhile. But in Zesty/Artfulpups this is not possible using the tray icon (this function works in all other pups I use AFAIK). I do not know if this is something peculiar to using SNS (which I do) for network setup or if it doesn't matter what you've used when 1st setting up your connection.

Here's a pic of what I am talking about----you right-click the network tray icon, choose "Disconnect From Network", and it just ignores you and stays connected (browsers, etc, everything is still connected to the Net, I tested them). Other pups I use when you do this right-click, you are immediately 'disconnected' and a red X is placed over the network connection showing that it is disconnected:
Attachments
right-click-Disconnect-From-Network--not-working.png
(38.44 KiB) Downloaded 926 times

Marv

#356 Post by Marv »

@belham2, Working here on my i5 based laptop. It was a fresh savefile quite recently (certainly for ArtfulPup) with a completely std SNS wifi setup so I really don't think it's anything extra in my savefile. Dunno.

Edit: I clicked again on the tray icon just to get the dialog box for SNS up for the screenshot...
Attachments
network_off.png
(104.36 KiB) Downloaded 889 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

belham2

#357 Post by belham2 »

Marv wrote:@belham2, Working here on my i5 based laptop. It was a fresh savefile quite recently (certainly for ArtfulPup) with a completely std SNS wifi setup so I really don't think it's anything extra in my savefile. Dunno.

Edit: I clicked again on the tray icon just to get the dialog box for SNS up for the screenshot...

@marv, thanks for checking. I don't know what's going. I just did another fresh 'frugal' install of latest Artfulpup, did nothing else except go through the standard screens and setup Internet with SNS,hit shutdown, let it go through and create a savefolder, rebooted, and once back at desktop (SNS automatically connected, thankfully), once again the 'right-click on tray icon "Disconnect from Network" is not working. Just totally unresponsive clicking on it....I can still surf and do whatever after.

So I don't know what is going on......can it be my hardware? Thing is, this is the 2nd laptop (totally different, one is an Core-i3, another is an AMD), that this is happening on. And it happened in every Zestypup I set up. So am at a loss here....... :?

I will re-download Artfulpup again, apply latest delta, and see what happens. But this seems pointless since it happened on every Zestypup I did (which was 3 of them, all posted in the beginning on this whole thread).

belham2

#358 Post by belham2 »

....and the mystery deepens.

Re-Downloaded Artful. Set up another 'frugal' install. Did nothing except set my location and set up lan internet with SNS. Let it create Savefolder, shutdown and restart. Same thing, try network icon right-clicking presents a not functioning "Disconnect from Network".

Completely wiped this new 'frugal' install.

Set up another 'frugal' install. Did everything the same, except this time used SNS to connect to my wifi. Created Savefolder, re-started, and what do you know: using 'wifi' and SNS, the tray icon will now let you disconnect.

So, (tray icon) does not work with Lan connections. Above my paygrade (read: knowledge) to decipher and know what's wrong here.....am just reporting. And thinking back, this is what every 'frugal' installed Zesty did. You set up LAN using SNS, reboot and the tray icon right-click "Disconnect from Network" fails to work. But, if you set up 'wifi' connection with SNS, upon next reboot, all is good and tray icon works as it should letting you "Disconnect from Network' wifi.

Just guessing, but doesn't this seem to be a built-in kernel driver bug from the first inception of Zesty (and now Artful)? No other pup and ddog I have (keep nearly 14 in all up to date and functioning, using them all during the week), exhibits this behavior.

Marv

#359 Post by Marv »

I just did a fresh frugal of 17.11.3, set up a tiny savefile and rebooted to rule out something in my savefile. Disconnecting (Wifi) works fine. You're ahead of me in the post above. Have you tried using PWF 4.1 on the wired connection? A few more steps than SNS but IIRC I could disconnect and reconnect ok on my wired boxes. It's odd, but I suppose reflects interest and time spent, that wireless connections now seem smoother/easier than wired. To me anyway.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

futwerk

#360 Post by futwerk »

new backgrounds.
Attachments
artful6.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?x4v77bi1p58ox
(17.36 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
artful5.jpg
(14.56 KiB) Downloaded 579 times
artful4.jpg