Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
keniv

#961 Post by keniv »

@rerwin
I installed your pet then ran usr/local/bin/netsurf in a terminal. Netsurf did not run. Below is the output from the terminal.

Code: Select all

+ '[' -x /usr/bin/netsurf ']'
+ '[' -e /usr/lib/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 ']'
+ export LC_ALL=C
+ LC_ALL=C
+ /usr/lib/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /usr/lib/glibc219/lib:/usr/lib/glibc219/usr/lib:/usr/lib/glibc219/libstdc++:/usr/X11R7/lib /usr/bin/netsurf
/usr/bin/netsurf: /lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by /usr/bin/netsurf)
/usr/bin/netsurf: /lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by /usr/bin/netsurf)
/usr/bin/netsurf: /usr/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
/usr/bin/netsurf: /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
Script completed hit RETURN to close window.
Regards,

Ken.

OscarTalks

#962 Post by OscarTalks »

Testing a post to the forum from NetSurf 3.7 in Lucid 5.2.8.7
Including a screenshot attachment.
GLib-GObject terminal warnings (which I do not get in later Puppies with later glib) look like this:-

# netsurf

(netsurf:30808): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GObject'

(netsurf:30808): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(netsurf:30808): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GObject'

(netsurf:30808): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
I am unable to use the buttons such as "code" tags.
It gives me a warning in status bar that "button can not be activated"
Limitation in the javascript implementation?
Code tags added manually.

NetSurf looks OK and is performing reasonably well in brief initial tests.
Attachments
netsurf-3.7-lucid.jpg
Test attempt to attach screenshot of NetSurf 3.7 in Lucid
(53.63 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
Oscar in England

watchdog

#963 Post by watchdog »

OscarTalks wrote: Obviously you need ca-certificates installed for many common websites.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Install the ca-certificates in the above rep and run in console:

update-ca-certificates
Summarily tested. Netsurf for lucid can come useful for some very old hardwares.

keniv

#964 Post by keniv »

watchdog wrote:
OscarTalks wrote: Obviously you need ca-certificates installed for many common websites.

update-ca-certificates
Have done this and here's what I get. It looks OK to me.

# update-ca-certificates
Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs...
0 added, 0 removed; done.
Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d...
done.
# 
However when I try to run netsurf in a terminal I get the same as before.

# /usr/local/bin/netsurf.sh
+ '[' -x /usr/bin/netsurf ']'
+ '[' -e /usr/lib/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 ']'
+ export LC_ALL=C
+ LC_ALL=C
+ /usr/lib/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /usr/lib/glibc219/lib:/usr/lib/glibc219/usr/lib:/usr/lib/glibc219/libstdc++:/usr/X11R7/lib /usr/bin/netsurf
/usr/bin/netsurf: /lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by /usr/bin/netsurf)
/usr/bin/netsurf: /lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by /usr/bin/netsurf)
/usr/bin/netsurf: /usr/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
/usr/bin/netsurf: /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
# 
I've checked for the presence of the mentioned files with pFind. See the images bellow. I hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
image-7.jpg
(43.13 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
image-6.jpg
(45.19 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
image-5.jpg
(38.9 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
image-4.jpg
(36.58 KiB) Downloaded 569 times

keniv

#965 Post by keniv »

watchdog wrote:Netsurf for lucid can come useful for some very old hardwares.
I should have said above that while I would like to get netsurf to work with the latest update of lucid I have found that palemoon is very good on very limited hardware like mine and the method of updating suggested was fairly easy to do. I think even those with not much experience of using lucid could do it without much trouble. That's not to say it wouldn't be nice to have two.

Regards,

Ken.

rerwin

#966 Post by rerwin »

My netsurf wrapper package omitted some links to the "missing" libssl and libcrypto files. I have updated it here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 334#971334

EDIT: Because the new package includes netsurf.desktop, do not install it after installing OscarTalks' Lucid version of netsurf-3.7.

EDIT: Although the wrapper part is unused by OscarTalks' Lucid netsurf package, the links I added are needed.
Because the added .desktop file conflicts with that in the netsurf package, please be sure to install OscarTalks' Lucid netsurf-3.7 after installing the new netsurf wrapper.
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 20 Oct 2017, 18:54, edited 3 times in total.

watchdog

#967 Post by watchdog »

keniv wrote:
watchdog wrote:

update-ca-certificates
Have done this and here's what I get. It looks OK to me.

# update-ca-certificates
Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs...
0 added, 0 removed; done.
Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d...
done.
# 
I think we can also install in puppy ca-certificates from debian sid (unstable):

https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/ca- ... s/download

ca-certificates are needed to bypass a lot of warnings about ssl certificates when browsing the web with netsurf. Install the new wrapper by rerwin but it is not needed: the OscarTalks netsurf-3.7-lucid.pet is all what you need to start with netsurf in lucid.

OscarTalks

#968 Post by OscarTalks »

keniv wrote:However when I try to run netsurf in a terminal I get the same as before.
Hello Ken,

Did you try to use my freshly compiled (in Lucid) version of NetSurf 3.7 ?
It should run without the need for Richard's wrapper script so do not start with the command /usr/local/bin/netsurf
Remove any previous versions of NetSurf
Install the .pet
Start from the menu entry or from terminal just use

netsurf
Oscar in England

rerwin

#969 Post by rerwin »

OscarTalks,
Thank you very much for providing your Lucid version of netsurf. I have tried it both with and without my wrapper. The resulting messages are the same although netsurf comes up and is usable. I am posting from it now. The messges:

netsurf: /usr/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)
netsurf: /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)

(netsurf:28474): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GObject'

(netsurf:28474): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(netsurf:28474): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `(null)' to `GObject'

(netsurf:28474): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

keniv

#970 Post by keniv »

Hello Gentlemen,
I have followed all the instructions and I now have netsurf 3.7 installed and working on the updated lucid. I am posting from it now. I have only been using it for a short time but I agree it seems to render better than 3.6 though there are still a few odd things. Bold, Italics and Underscore on this page look different to that in palemoon but it is still obvious what they mean. I still cannot see how to import bookmarks but I found before it was reasonably easy to convert those from QtWeb and edit the "Hotlist" file in .netsurf (see image 9). Can I again thank you all for your help and the work you have done to make this work in lucid. For those of us with old hardware getting a useable browser to work was a big issue. Now for the updated lucid we have two.

Regards,

Ken.

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
image-9.jpg
(26.4 KiB) Downloaded 528 times

Mike Walsh

#971 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Okay, it might be an older version, but following a successful install of Openshot-1.1.3 to Lucid, following smil99's instructions from here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 888#426888

.....I thought it would make more sense to combine everything into one single, easy-to-use package. For some reason, smil99 found it necessary to install MPlayer (and Gnome-MPlayer!!) in order to correct a lack of colour output in Openshot. It's quite likely that only certain components of these two were needed to correct the problem, but I haven't researched that far into it, I'm afraid... (BAD Mike; *slapped wrists*) :oops:

No, I've simply created an all-in-one package out of the assorted .pet packages. If you're at all concerned that it may interfere with existing installs of Mplayer/Gnome-MPlayer, refer to the post in question and use the necessary separate .pets. Frankly, I'm amazed the files are still available, since smil99 hasn't been heard from for over 4 years now.....

Anyway, for anyone who wishes to avail themselves of this very useful video editor, there are .pet and SFS packages available. You can find them here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xno026 ... _for_Lucid

Hope y'all find it useful. In the event that the .pets from smil99's MediaFire a/c become non-accessible, I've mirrored them at mine.....in the 'Components' sub-directory.

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 22 Oct 2017, 15:52, edited 2 times in total.

Smithy

#972 Post by Smithy »

Rerwin, since you have done a fantastic job of revitalising the Lucid,
might it be a good idea to put all the pets, upgrades and sfs in a central repository?
I know that if I need a few bits for Dpup Wheezy, I usually go to OscarTalks smokey01 repository and there are always a few browsers and system stuff readily available.

I do remember the three headed dog (529) and the 528, it was a cracking distro because as Playdayz said it was massively tested by loads of forum members.

Does it pick up newer hardware or is there some kind of sweet spot for it in terms of hardware year?

Mike Walsh

#973 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Smithy.

Y'know, that's quite a good idea, mate. I originally only installed Lucid to help out TwoPuppies with a query about browsers....and, well.....it's still here. Along with all the other occupants of the kennels, I keep coming back and modifying a bit, here & there, adding things, tweaking a bit; I have to confess, I quite like it!

Haven't yet figured out a way to install a newer Chrome than 26, but that still works very well.....apart from not being able to sync with my bookmarks & extensions, 'cos of its age (no longer 'supported'!), but I can live without 'em (just added bookmarks manually). It'll work with the newest PepperFlash, too. Having used Chrome from the start, I'd kinda forgotten just how lean & mean (and bloody fast!) Chrome used to be. Like all of them, it's become a bloated 'supertanker'.....and. of course, it's 64-bit only nowadays.

I guess the 'sweet spot' would be 2-3 years ago, in terms of app compatibility. It's that elderly glibc that's the kicker, y'see.....which is why I can't run Chrome 48, the last 32-bit Linux version. Lucid has 2.11.....Chrome wants at least 2.15. And that's the main reason most newer apps/programs won't run correctly, if at all. That and the fact that many libs'n'stuff need upgrading, too.....you can end up on a never-ending 'lib-chase' if you give into it. I also run watchdog's 'tweaked' PaleMoon, with an isolated glibc 'upgrade' built-in.....but I'm not a Mozilla fan,.!

Watchdog's also built a 'tweaked' version of SimpleScreenRecorder for Lucid.....which also works in Racy 5.5 (I'm pleased about that!) I understand Richard's been developing a 'tweaked', up-to-date SeaMonkey package, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be more than happy to donate some storage space, if Richard's interested; I have several gigs to spare, between a Google Drive a/c, and my MediaFire one. If he lets me know what he'd like to do, I can soon set up access to a 'shared' folder for him.....and make it public 'read-only', for general access.

Can't say fairer than that, now....can I?

Robert123

#974 Post by Robert123 »

Hi Mike,

I wonder how easy it is to tweak chrome like Watchdog's magic - it is so wonderful to be able to still run old Pups and have a modern Browser. Recommend Watchdog for a knighthood.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

watchdog

#975 Post by watchdog »

Robert123 wrote: I wonder how easy it is to tweak chrome like Watchdog's magic - it is so wonderful to be able to still run old Pups and have a modern Browser. Recommend Watchdog for a knighthood.
Recent chrome and chromium require gtk+-3: lucid and other old puplets are gtk+-2 distros: mission impossible in my opinion. A better way for using recent chrome-chromium is to upgrade to a recent puppy. Peebee has provided sfs packages and instructions to run recent chromium in modern puppies in development. I do not like chrome: it's on the edge of development and requires very recent stuff every time a new version is released. It's an update-upgrade nightmare!

Mike Walsh

#976 Post by Mike Walsh »

Robert123 wrote:Hi Mike,

I wonder how easy it is to tweak chrome like Watchdog's magic - it is so wonderful to be able to still run old Pups and have a modern Browser. Recommend Watchdog for a knighthood.
Hi, Robert.

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with watchdog on this score. Chrome is a nightmare; every release has newer and newer requirements all the time. However, for Lucid, I'm not looking at constant upgrades; 32-bit Linux Chrome stopped at version 48, so I really just want one single version of Chrome adapted to run on Lucid. All I'd like is to be able to sync my bookmarks and extensions.....Chrome 26 is just too old for that anymore..!

---------------------------------------------------

@watchdog: You don't fancy explaining to me how I can do this, do you? *Pretty please.....with sprinkles on?* :lol: Battleshooter's 'glibc upgrade' works nicely for Racy; might the same thing be possible for Lucid, d'you think?

If you want any details, just ask. I'm more than happy to contribute at my end...

keniv

#977 Post by keniv »

Hello All
OscarTalks has provided a lucid version of links 2.14 in this thread
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15 at the very bottom thead on the page. I am posting from it now. It is a bit weird but renders quite well, is usable and is very fast. You can easily transfer bookmarks by exporting bookmarks.html from another browser and placing them in
/root/.links. You can edit them in links. I even made a bookmarks toolbar of sorts (see image). I still have a problem though. I can log into this forum but I am a member of a number of vintage electronics forums which I cannot log into. It's not a user name or password thing. I hope to overcome this problem. Again another possible browser for those using limited hardware.

Regards,

Ken
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(11 KiB) Downloaded 1185 times

Mike Walsh

#978 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

Quick query; would anybody happen to know where the clock on the fbpanel taskbar reads its fonts from?

I fancy adding the 'Michroma' font as employed by Carolina Vanguard. However, to do so, I need to know where to place it.....

--------------------------------------------------

EDIT:- OK, solved; answered my own question!

/usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/Michroma.ttf PupClockSet picks it up as expected.....after a re-boot.

(Obtained from here, in case anybody else is interested...)

Looks rather good, too!

rerwin

Release Candidate 20171110

#979 Post by rerwin »

After experimenting with the various browsers provided in this thread I conclude that only seamonkey-2.46 is reliable with lucid pup. Even with 2.46, flashplayer issues some warnings that do not seem to impact its operation. SM-2.48 and Palemoon require at least the glibc 2.19 upgrade of the glib components but issue some warnings or errors when used with add-ons.

Furthermore, sylpheed 3.4.1 issues error messages and OpenSSL seems to cause problems with other programs rejecting newer versions of some library components.

To maintain Lucid Pup's reputation for stability, I omit the upgrades that provide or require library components beyond those provided by the Lucid repos. That means that the new openssl and sylpheed, as well as the glibc219 and palemoon installer packages are not included, as they were in the beta ISOs. However, the glibc219 and palemoon installer packages are available (see below) for those accepting the limitations of seamonkey 2.48 and palemoon in the lucid environment.

I expect this to be the final release of lucid pup 5.2.8.7 unless there are last-minute patches. It is intended for those installations that don't need the latest browsers or cannot be upgraded to a newer Puppy due to hardware constraints. Because of the browser situation, I feel it is time to move on to XenialPup or some other relatively new Puppy. I plan to migrate to Xenial 7.0.9 for my own use, but am open to other recommendations.

I view the new release as a a "release candidate", to allow for fixes. So, please report any issues that should be corrected for this final version.

EDIT: Release candidates replaced by "Finals". The 20171125 release disk images are here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5il6yef4h3sdj

The main upgrades are:
  • - Network connection upgrade for changing among SNS, Network Wizard and Frisbee.
    - CRDA wifi modem for international regulation compliance
    - RedShiftGUI and redshiftgui_startup added for automatic control of day/night screen color temperature
    - Many updates to current applications
Xorg driver reorganization: Moved all drivers to operatonal directory from backup directory, to ensure that only the newest versions are used.

Added/updated packages:
  • - ca-certificates-2016-01-04.pet
    - frisbee-1.4.6.pet - for network connect
    - getflash-1.7-1.pet
    - get_libreoffice-0.40.pet
    - grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.2.pet (shinobar) (20171007)
    - gtkdialog-splash-20120321.pet
    - iw_0.9.19~ubuntu1_i386.deb - for network connect CRDA capability
    - libbsd0_0.2.0-1_i386.deb - for sftp
    - libpostproc51_0.5.9-0ubuntu0.10.04.3_i386.deb
    - libswscale0_0.5.9-0ubuntu0.10.04.3_i386.deb
    - libxcb-randr0_1.5-2ubuntu0.1_i386.deb - for redshiftGUI
    - modeset0-lucid-20171005.pet - added GeForce 6150 (& LE, SE) for sulu2 (20171007)
    - pdiag-20170329.pet
    - peasy_dvd_player-1.4.pet
    - peasyport-2.3.pet
    - pgprs-2.0.2.pet - for network connect
    - pmusic-5.2.7_lucid.pet
    - Pup-Control-3.2.pet
    - PupMenu-5.1.1
    - Pup-SysInfo-2.7.3.pet
    - redshiftGUI-0.2.1.pet
    - redshiftGUI_wrapper-20171120.pet (replaces redshiftGUI_startup-20171110.pet) EDIT
    - wcpufreq-1.1-noarch.pet
    - wireless-crda_1.12_i386.deb - for network connect CRDA capability
    - YASSM-4.1.pet
Infrastructure updates (zz_lupu-delta-20171125) EDIT:
  • - network_connect_update-20170624-lucid.pet + updates
    - python_fix_for_5.2.8.7-20161228.pet - for CRDA capability (python link)
    - Quickpet_Fix_for_nVidia_video-20170130.pet
    - /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - extend wait for usb mouse in CD boot-up
    - /usr/sbin/remaster_package_check - correct PET conflict detection (20171007)
Notes:
  • Seamonkey browser/mail: Version 2.46 is the last that will run in Lucid Pup without the glibc 2.19 support package. Version 2.48 generally works but sometimes distorts menu lists, slanting them and making them difficult or impossible to navigate. I do not know how to fix that, so welcome any advice on that. I had to revert to 2.46 because I was unable to manage my email due to that persistent distortion.

Network Connection Upgrade: This straightens out the details of switching among the three network managers and allows use of a manager different from the default (and back), without confusing the connect wizardry.

Wifi/wireless CRDA: This can ensure that wifi modem operations comply with regulations in the country of operation. This relates to constraints on channel availability (1-11 vs. 1-14, etc) and transmission power. This is useful in countries where channels 12-14 are legal. By default, only channels 1-11 are allowed.
The following packages in the betas are omitted from the final release:
  • - glibc219_runtime-lucid-20170907.pet - for seamonkey 2.48+, palemoon
    - palemoon_installer-0.2.3-lucid.pet

- openssl-1.0.2l-i486-w5.pet

- sylpheed-3.4.1-p4.pet
    - gnupg2_2.0.14-1ubuntu1.7_i386.deb - for sylpheed-3.4.1
    - gnupg-agent_2.0.14-1ubuntu1.7_i386.deb - for sylpheed-3.4.1
    - libgpgme11_1.2.0-1.2ubuntu1.1_i386.deb - for sylpheed-3.4.1
    - libksba8_1.0.7-2_i386.deb - for sylpheed-3.4.1
    - libpth20_2.0.7-14_i386.deb - for sylpheed-3.4.1
    - pinentry-gtk2_0.7.6-1_i386.deb - for sylpheed-3.4.1

- retrovol-0.14.3.2-X.pet
    - retrovol_NLS-0.14.3.2-X.pet
To add support for seamonkey 2.48+ and palemoon, install glibc219_runtime and (optionally) palemoon_installer (which installs SSE version where necessary):
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 18:31, edited 4 times in total.

keniv

#980 Post by keniv »

Hello All,
I'm now using the new sulu2 that rerwin mentioned in his post on Sat 11 Nov 2017. I've also installed glibc219_runtime-lucid-20171103.pet, palemoon_installer-0.2.3-lucid-20171024.pet and now have palemoon see.
I am trying to get You2Pup 2.8.5 to work as with very modest hardware it is a better way to view youtube video. It partly works. It gives an output in it's own terminal but I cannot copy and paste it even using Shift-Ins. I've attached an image of the last part of this (image-1). I've also attached an image of start up (image-2) and what is shown when you search for an item on youtube (image-3). Clicking on the images on image-3 does nothing. Hope this is enough to give some ideas. The only thing that I see is a possible problem with gtk.

Regards,

Ken
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(78.36 KiB) Downloaded 828 times
image-2.jpg
(23.4 KiB) Downloaded 840 times
image-3.jpg
(25.42 KiB) Downloaded 840 times