System software Persistence and ability to run on Atom?

Booting, installing, newbie
Nap

System software Persistence and ability to run on Atom?

#1 Post by Nap »

Having downloading precise-5.7.1.iso, while writing this, I see that it is not a bootable image. Using unetbootin (I'm on a Mac here atm), have been able to make the image bootable. However, it seems to be taking a very long time to boot up.

I'm trying to run this install on an old ATOM pc that does not have PAE. Will it work?
I'm also wondering if it includes a SSHD server, and if not, can the 'openssh-server' package be installed persistently?

Cheers,
Nap

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Precise 5.7.1 will probably work OK.
SSHD server is built into all Puppies.

If you could give us specific specs it would help.
Computer make and model?

Other Puppy versions will probably also work.

With Puppy, you have to just try some and see which one you like.

Here is a Puppy specific Google search:
http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

been able to make the image bootable. However, it seems to be taking a very long time to boot up.

You said it is old computer.

If the USB port is USB 1. It will take some time to load.
USB 1 is not that fast.

Really need make and model of computer info.
I am only guessing at what may be going on.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Nap.

I concur with Bigpup. Precise 5.7.1 should work fine.....as should Precise 5.7.1-retro, which includes a lot more drivers, etc, for older modems'n'stuff.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precis ... -retro.iso

That's a direct link to the ISO. Slacko 5.7.0 is another very good one you could try; there is a non-PAE version of this, but some stuff about it was known to be a bit wonky.

No-PAE will only be a problem if you have more than 4 GB RAM.....which, to the best of my knowledge, no Atom-powered lappie ever came with.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... .0-PAE.iso

Once again, that's a direct link.

--------------------------------------------

Try a few Pups out in 'Live' mode.....see what you think, and see if your hardware likes 'em. Best way to run Pup is as a 'frugal' install; don't go making the mistake of thinking that's a 'poor man's' version of Puppy, 'cos it isn't; it's way more flexible & configurable than a 'full' install (which in Puppy's case was only ever a workaround for elderly, seriously RAM-challenged hardware.....like 256 MB of RAM or less.)

Usually 15 yrs old or more.

You can perform a 'frugal' install to a USB stick.....the way Pup was originally intended to run. Or, you can do a 'frugal' to a partition on your hard drive; it'll work just the same.

(System specs - CPU, RAM, hard drive size, graphics card (or chip), etc., will help a great deal. It always helps to quote this kind of stuff with Puppy.....'cos there's lots of different versions of Pup, using all sorts of different kernels, etc.) :)

-------------------------------------------

You can use UNetbootin with Pup, but the results are not always consistent. Usually, for Puppy, you prepare & format your USB or hard-drive partition manually with gParted.....making sure you remember to set the boot 'flag' yourself, before installing.

Look here for a brilliantly informative, extremely clear and easy-to-follow tutorial on how to use gParted.

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

Does your Precise 5.71 have Pup-Sysinfo ?

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Nap,

To help us better understand what your computer can, and can't, do running one of the various Puppies, it would be helpful if you could run Pup-Sysinfo. It may already be part of your system, included by the creator of that Puppy. Look for it on Menu>System>Pup-Sysinfo system information. That's where it usually shows up. You can check other submenus, but perhaps a quicker way is to file-browse to /usr/share/applications and look for Pup-Sysinfo.desktop. Left-clicking it will start the application.

If its not already on your system you can download a pet from here: http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... es-noarch/. Try either the one with the version number 2.3.1 or 2.4.2 which were built about the same time as Precise.

When it opens, click the Sys-Specs tab; then click Base Report. Clicking File>Export Current Report will produce a text file in /tmp and open geany, a text editor. For ease of handling, Click File>Save As, select /root as the location (left pane) and change the file ending from "txt" to "gz". /root is your Home Folder, easiest to reach; and the Forum only allows uploading a few file formats. Txt isn't one of them, but gz is. (See "Allowed Extension..." just below "Add an Attachment"). Upload the file, noting in File Comment that it's a "false gz ending -- change back to txt".

mikesLr

mikeslr

Supplemental

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again Nap,

"However, it seems to be taking a very long time to boot up."

My short-term memory finally kicked in and I remembered something bigpup posted a couple days ago. When you use Unetbootin, it installs syslinux as bootloader and syslinux writes its boot code as if a Puppy was trying to boot from a CD. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 647#973647

Perhaps that mistake slows down booting. At any rate, it can't hurt if you edit the line in syslinux.cfg from "append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd" to "append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash". I'd try that even if Precise was somehow installed to a hard-drive. There are advantages of having any Puppy think it is being booted from a USB-Stick.

mikesLr

8Geee

#7 Post by 8Geee »

Nap

EONS2018a.iso is available for your old Atom Netbook/nettop.

That spin has a repository that contains openssh7.6.1 the latest patched CLIENT/SERVER.

With regards to the slow boot I would invest $40 in a standalone but semi-portable CD/DVD burner/reader such as the LG ge24-nu40. Uses a wall-wart (12V 1Amp) and can also play your movies or CD music through puppy.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."