Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 10 Dec 2017, 20:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Request for Pinta 1.6 for tahr64
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
Limbomusic

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov 2017, 09:26    Post subject:  Request for Pinta 1.6 for tahr64
Subject description: wanted

Hello - If some guru could make a pinta1.6 .pet for tahr64 that would be awesome.
https://pinta-project.com/pintaproject/pinta/
I,ve searched around and tried a .deb-file from
https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/18.04/ubuntu-universe-amd64/pinta_1.6-2_all.deb.html
but it didnt work (it installed but didnt start - I have NO CLUE when it comes to compiling/serious linux-things)
Pinta1.3.0 is in the repositories (and works great on 32-bit pups) but cannot find a 64 bit version.
Any help would be lovely Smile
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017, 16:22    Post subject: AFAIK, can't be done  

Hi Limbomusic,

Figuring out what goes wrong is beyond my capabilities. I think it would require knowledge of how windows programs function.

I booted into Tahrpup64 and used PPM to download pinta and its dependencies, then used PaDS to create a Pinta.SFS. I loaded it and tried to start Pinta via a terminal which produced this error report:

sh-4.3# pinta
Missing method .ctor in assembly /usr/lib/pinta/Pinta.Core.dll, type Mono.Addins.AddinRootAttribute
Can't find custom attr constructor image: /usr/lib/pinta/Pinta.Core.dll mtoken: 0x0a0002f0
* Assertion at class.c:5597, condition `!mono_loader_get_last_error ()' not met

Pinta under Linux appears to be some kind of ‘fudge’. It’s ‘bin’ file at /usr/bin is a script with only this argument:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/mono /usr/lib/pinta/Pinta.exe "$@"

Note the extension "exe" identifying it as a Windows executable. Also, as far as I can tell from researching, development of Pinta ceased in 2013. It was intended as an alternative to Paint.Net.

That gave me the idea of trying to run /usr/lib/pinta/Pinta.exe by clicking it as I have a fully functioning with mono installed Wine-portable. This generated a report that wine wasn’t loaded. I was however able to immediately run a different XP program suggesting the report was more in the nature of “Something is wrong. I guess that it’s this”. Keep in mind that all programs are idiots operating at the speed of light.

Also tried rebuilding the SFS as a pet, moving libs to /usr/lib where Tahrpup64 would find them. Same results as above.

As the Linux version of Pinta appeared to be a ‘fudge’ to enable the running of the Windows Pinta.exe under Linux, I figured “Why not try to eliminate the middle-man and run the XP version of Pinta under Wine”. Downloaded pinta-1.6.exe and Left-Clicked it. Received the message that pinta-1.6 has encountered a serious problem and had to close. WineHq reports it as "garbage", i.e., nothing works.

Portable xp programs, which WineHq doesn't evaluate, sometimes run when installables won't. I could not locate an XP portable version to test. Searching revealed that in order to make your own portable version of Pinta, you could download the Mac version –which would contain the executables-- but your Windows (translate that as wine under Linux) would require the installation of mono and gtk+.

It may be possible to run your 32-bit version under Tahrpup64 by loading the 32-bit compatibility SFS. If that works you won’t loose much. Built to run under XP, Pinta is, itself, only a 32-bit application. But as it employs mono, it is possible that its included version will interfere with any programs you run under wine which also use mono.

mikesLr
Limbomusic

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 12:43    Post subject: oh
Subject description: well

Thank you mikeslr for taking a crack at it Smile
And as u say - I guess I can load the 32bit compatibility sfs and get the 32 bit version working. Hugs and kisses.
musher0

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 23:26    Post subject:  

Hi Limbomusic.

I tried to compile a 32-bit version of the latest Pinta application and got as far as "it
needs the Mono computer language installed". Oops.

Problems with the Mono language are: 1) it's huge; 2) it originated in the WhineDose
world. So I'll leave at that for now.

BFN.

« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
Limbomusic

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov 2017, 06:00    Post subject: oh
Subject description: well

Okay no prob - Thanx for trying musher0 Smile
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Jump to: