Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 06:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
FF 45.9.0 ESR incompatable with newly updated Banking Portal
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [29 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 19 Nov 2017, 05:40    Post subject:  

Click on the desktop file icon.
Rox (File manager) opens in the /root directory.
Click on the up arrow at top left of Rox window.
That goes to the top most directory.
opt should be in it.

I am going now.
Look in on this later today.

Alberz

PostPosted: Sun 19 Nov 2017, 07:16    Post subject:  

Thanks to your help bigpup - I'm starting to find my way around Puppy a little bit better.

Just tried installing Opera Browser and ran into the same problems ...
ie In Opera properties I get "Extended Attributes Not Supported" and "uses shared libs" instead of "interpreter"
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sun 19 Nov 2017, 10:40    Post subject:  

Alberz wrote:
Thanks bigup.

When I left click the following comes up in a dialog box.

Quote:
No run action specified for files of this type(aplicatio/x-excutable) - you can set run action by choosing 'Set Run Action' from the file menu, or you can just drag the file to an application.

Note: If this is a computer program which you want to run, you need to set the execute bit by choosing Permissions from the File menu.

I think maybe something screwed up your run command in your Rox / file manager. If I go to Setup -> PuppyApps Default Applications Chooser and then System, it says I have "xrun" as App runner, is that what you have?

If you can't get it to work, you can also try running it from Console/Terminal by typing something like this:

Code:
cd /opt
ls
cd firefox
./firefox
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   50.46 KB
 Viewed   242 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 19 Nov 2017, 15:23    Post subject: Try Crhomium 57 SFS  

Hi Alberz,

While you and others explore how to get a version of Firefox or some other web-browser running, as an interim measure, you may want to try chromium64_57.0.2987.98+pepper_25.0.0.148_lx.sfs, available from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=950953#950953. Note, this is the one with the designation 64 and lacking the designation i486 which is also available from that post.

Chromium provides the source code used by google-chrome. Consequently, Chromium should meet your Bank's 'google-chrome' requirements. I just ran this version on Slacko64-6.9.9.9-uefi-4.9-FF-LO, booted without a SaveFile/Folder. I sfs-loaded it, and it opened without any difficulty,

This SFS, published in April, is not the latest available. But, I don't usually run Slackos and a couple later versions of both chromium and google-chrome I tried didn't start immediately. I sure any problems with later versions could be resolved, but I wanted to suggest something which worked OOTB.

Perhaps an email to Mike Walsh who both runs Slackos and publishes and Google-chrome and Chromium SFSes to join the conversation would be productive.

I almost always run Xenialpup64 and it has no problem with the latest Google-chrome SFS. If nothing else works, you might want to add a frugal install Xenialpup64 for those occasions when you need to do internet banking.

mikesLr
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 19 Nov 2017, 16:57    Post subject: Currently posting from firefox64-57 on Slacko64-6.9.9.9  

HI again,

As the title says, I'm "Currently posting from firefox64-57 on Slacko64-6.9.9.9".

Note, I did not boot without its SaveFile. So I don't know if anything you installed or I installed would result in some difference,

Caution: first export a copy of your bookmarks so you can later import them.

Download firefox from here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

A file named firefox-57.0.tar.bz will show up in your download folder. Extract it: Right-click and from the popup menu select "Extract with pArchive".

A folder named 'firefox' will be created. Leave that window opened.

Open a second rox window to /opt: open rox, click the "home" button (looks like a house). Click the Up-Arrow. Click the folder named opt.

Left-Press, Hold, then drag the firefox folder into the opt window and select Move. Click the firefox folder to see its contents. Leave it open. [If you want to frequently reach a folder, while it is opened, click rox's bookmark tool and select 'Add'. On my current setup, it is the third icon from the left on rox's toolbar and looks like an arrow pointing to a ball. Leaving your mouse-cursor on a toolbar icon for a couple of seconds will produce a Tool-tip as to what it is. As we may need to easily reach the this folder after restarting-x, I suggest you do this now. You can always remove a bookmark later).

In your other OTHER rox window, click the Home button to open rox to your Home folder. Now, click rox's EYE to show hidden files. You should see a folder named .mozilla. It contains the settings for firefox, including your bookmarks. [Possibly, those settings interfered with your efforts to run a newer version]. Right-Click the folder and select delete or rename it to something else if you later have to revert. Perhaps name it .old-mozilla.

Having deleted the .mozilla file, I was able immediately to start firefox by left-clicking /opt/firefox/firefox. It created a new hidden /root/.mozilla folder. YMMV, you may also have to perform all of the following:

Left-click rox's up-Arrow and you'll see several folders, one named /usr. Left-Click it, then Left-Click the folder named 'share'. Then Left-click the folder named 'applications'. Scroll until you see the file named 'mozilla-firefox.desktop'. Right-click it and select from the popup menu 'Open As Text'.

You'll see a line which reads "Exec=firefox". It is pointing toward the version of firefox which was built into your Slacko. Edit it to read "/opt/firefox/firefox" so that it will point to your new version.

Restart-x: Menu>Shutdown>Restart X (AKA Graphical Server). This causes Puppies to re-catalog what are now on their systems.

Menu>Internet>firefox should now start your new firefox. You can check whether it is version 57 by clicking the icon at the top-right (3 parallel horizontal lines) then selecting Help, then selecting About. It should be 57.

If everything is OK, don't forget to Save. And before Saving you can now delete the '/root/.old-mozilla' folder and import your bookmarks. Otherwise, if you've properly setup your frugal install you should be able to reboot without Saving and be back were you started. About such setup see this post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=966834#966834

mikesLr
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 19 Nov 2017, 20:08    Post subject:  

Hallo, Alberz.

Yes, I thought I'd 'join in the fun'..!

One thing about Puppy-land; browsers, we are not short of, mate. Being a Chrome user of very long standing (dating all the way back to the 'beta' pre-release of version 1, in Autumn 2008), it is the browser I tend to recommend.

We also have Flashpeak's 'SlimJet', and SRWare's 'Iron' browser, too.....both of which are Chromium-based 'clones' (based on the one Mike's mentioned above).

I maintain the 64-bit versions of these. (God above knows why.....but somebody's got to..!) Laughing Laughing

You can find Chrome 62 (incorporating belham2's 'run-as-spot' modifications) here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ldgb4g3ytf7by/64-bit

SlimJet can be found here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3so7h6rsgd32t/SlimJet_SFS_packages

15.1.6.0 is definitely 'stable'. The 'beta' of 16.0.0.0 I'm not so sure about. However, the choice is yours...

And, last but not least, Iron:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dq22req4a9tji/Iron_SFS_packages

This is currently Iron 61; I downloaded the Iron 62 tarball earlier this evening, but haven't had time to 'pack it' yet. I think your bank will accept it, though!

-------------------------------------------------------------

However, if you're definitely happier with Firefox, I've broken my 'golden rule'.....and knocked together a .pet package of the new Firefox 57 'Quantum' browser for you. I've included rcrsn51's apulse-stretch.deb integral to the package, with the Menu entry modified to read 'Firefox 57' as opposed to 'Firefox-apulse'. Easier to find, I think.

This should give you sound.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/h5777vue0dzrzq4/FireFox-57-Quantum.pet

I'm posting this from 'Quantum' right now. Basically, all I've done is to condense Mike's 'manual' explanation from above into a ready-to-use package. (Sorry, Mike..! Embarassed )

Normally, we assemble browsers as SFS packages, but that would entail more explanations. At this stage, as a beginner, you won't get much simpler than a .pet; you click on it.....it installs. Easy-peasy.

Since I no longer run Slacko64, I don't know what the state of play is as far as the GTK-3 libraries are concerned. This has been built in Tahrpup64 6.0.5, which has all this crap built-in! The Chrome, SlimJet and Iron packages contain the GTK-3 and libnss 'upgrades' within them, so as not to inconvenience existing apps/programs which are happy with the old versions. You may need to install GTK-3 from the PPM (Puppy Package Manager). If you do, or run into problems with them, others here can advise.

Hope that little lot is of some use..... Smile Any problems: just ask.

Mike. Wink

Alberz

PostPosted: Sun 19 Nov 2017, 20:47    Post subject:  

Thanks Mike, I've been going a bit bananas trying to sort this out. I tried mikeslr's fix at the post above (thanks mikeslr) with no luck. I will try your solutions later today - thanks for going to all that trouble!

EDIT I just tried running the pet package and when I click on the internet icon it still directs to FF 45.9.0.

I'm thinking I should try a fresh install of Slacko64 (perhaps Slacko64-6.9.9.9 that Mike is running) or/and the other alternatives you have offered.

I'll head out soon and buy a few new USBs to try them out.

Thanks again!
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov 2017, 01:24    Post subject:  

I have not tried this in Slacko, but that is not going to stop me from, putting out there, an idea of what may be going on.
Who knows, I could be right Idea Laughing

Quote:
EDIT I just tried running the pet package and when I click on the internet icon it still directs to FF 45.9.0.

You now may have two different versions of Firefox on the computer.
Go to menu>Internet>
See if there are two different entries for firefox.
If yes.
See which one starts which version.

That desktop browser icon is going to point to the 45 esr version that is part of Slacko.
It is set to open the default browser.

Easy way to change this.
menu>Setup>Puppy Apps Default Applications Chooser>System> Web Browser
See if it offers both versions of Firefox to choose from.

Alberz

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov 2017, 03:39    Post subject:  

Thanks for your continuing support guys, it means a lot to me.

I ended up installing Tahrpup 64 6.0.5 and using Mike's pet file and FF 57 installed without a problem.

But frustratingly, I still can't access my bank's new portal - it turns out that FF 56 is compatible but FF 57 broke something. I imagine they (the bank) will fix this sometime soon, as FF is still quite a popular browser.

So it looks like I need to try, try and try again lol (if I wasn't laughing I'd be crying)
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov 2017, 06:13    Post subject:  

Morning, Alberz.

I think bigpup's hit it on the head about the default browser.....although my package was built to point to the folder in /opt where it's installed.

Try 52esr (the most recent 'extended support' version). It's still supported until June next year at the earliest. I'm going to upload a .pet of this for you to try.; I built this for my own personal use just the other day, since it's the best of the old Firefoxes.....and now I understand the method for getting around the PulseAudio sound problem, it's quite acceptable to me as a backup browser once again.

Especially since it now plays NetFlix! Very Happy

Instead of Bill's apulse 'fix' (which works better for newer versions of FF in the 'buntu-based Pups), this one uses OscarTalks' apulse 'workaround'.....which definitely works better in the Slackos, for some reason. I've also built it to overwrite /root/.cache/mozilla & /root/.mozilla with empty directories, so in theory, you should be starting off with a 'blank slate'. In practice.....

.....who knows? Rolling Eyes You may need to delete those two manually.

Before you install this, be sure to remove the previous one via the PPM first.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8x5c11n3vnd0t0d/FireFox-52-esr.pet

Let us know whether it works for you, please. If not, there's still several other options we can explore. You'll have to get the hang of 'loading' SFS packages, that's all.....

I find this whole thing somewhat hard to believe, I gotta confess. My own bank (Santander), I can still access with a copy of Chrome 26 in 'Lucid'.....which is around 4 years out of date! I do prefer to use newer browsers, though; 26 is the newest that'll run in Lucid, due to the ancient glibc.....and I am aware that many banks regularly update their browser requirements for online banking.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 23 Nov 2017, 16:19; edited 2 times in total
Alberz

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov 2017, 07:24    Post subject:  

Thanks again Mike.

Yes it is a little unbelievable - Shakes Head & Rolling Eyes

At the moment I'm in the process of updating Puppy Slacko 64 6.3.2 in preparation for installation on a USB.

I'll probably have a go at installing FF 52 ESR tomorrow Australian time.
Galbi

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov 2017, 11:02    Post subject:  

@Alberz: I can enter the web of your bank with Seamonkey 2.48 (which it's not the latest) without trouble, including the login page.

I'm thinking in something related to Flash, javascript or one of that kind of 'beauties', not the browser itself...

Saludos.

Galbi

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov 2017, 11:29    Post subject:  

Also, I can enter with:
Quote:
Vivaldi 1.12.955.48 (Stable channel) (32 bits)
Revisión d008b6490dacb4042ddcb6b145f9d223032d4697-
Sistema operativo Linux
JavaScript V8 6.1.534.41
Flash (Desactivado)
Agente de usuario Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.102 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.93.955.48
Línea de comandos /mnt/sda1/Store/vivaldi/vivaldi -no-sandbox --always-authorize-plugins --enable-blink-features=ResizeObserver --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
Ruta del ejecutable /mnt/sda1/Store/vivaldi/vivaldi
Ruta del perfil /root/.config/vivaldi/Default

Alberz

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov 2017, 20:05    Post subject:  

Apologies for my lack of presence over the last day or two. I have a few health issues and have needed to concentrate my limited energies on them - sorry.

At the moment I can access my banks old portal, and the bank assures me that it will remain open for a while yet.

I hope to get back to my Linux education when my health improves.

Thanks all, for your great help and patience.

Regards
Al
Page 2 of 2 [29 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: