[solved] error installing xvkbd 3.3 in Tahr 6.0.3

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

[solved] error installing xvkbd 3.3 in Tahr 6.0.3

#1 Post by nubc »

I installed an xvkdb3.3_gg_fkeys_global_capswap-0.1.pet package successfully in Tahr 6.0.3, but when I tried to run it from console, error message

Code: Select all

root# xvkbd3.3
bash: xvkbd3.3: command not found
root# xvkbd
xvkbd: error while loading shared libraries: libXaw3d.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
root# 
I believe I can easily acquire this library libXaw3d.so.6 from a Slacko installation. Supposing I find this library, where do I put it in order for xvkbd3.3 to work?
Last edited by nubc on Wed 22 Nov 2017, 22:42, edited 2 times in total.

nubc

#2 Post by nubc »

That was an attempt to install a small xvkbd 3.3 keyboard pet provided by greengeek, which installed on Slacko 5.7 just fine. I mean, it froze constantly when I used it, but it did install. It won't work in Tahr, as described in the OP above. A full-featured xvkbd 3.3 installed in Tahr with PPM. I can customize it to appear and behave like greengeek's small xvkbd, but the customization is not permanent. I substituted two config files from greengeek's version in Slacko into the Ubuntu version in Tahr. The subbed config files were
XVkbd-common
XVkbd-small
from /etx/X11/app-defaults. I also subbed the xvkbd executable from /usr/bin. Result: this had no effect on the Ubuntu xvkbd in Tahr.

Greengeek's xvkbd-small customization is abbreviated gg, fkeys, global, capswap. I don't understand gg and global

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

The xvkbd from Ubuntu got very funky for no apparent reason. The template for the small keyboard layout remained the same correct size, but the individual keys were rendered very tiny, and in some instances inoperable. Only gui solution was to uninstall then install again. I still need to know the location of the file with numerical parameters and settings.

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

Slacko stuff usually does NOT run well if at all in Tahr pups.

Remove the slacko stuff AND the Tahr stuff completely, and try the Ubuntu download again.

Just a thought
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mikeslr

xvkbd 3.7 for Tahrpup

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Or try Argolance's xvkbasiconf-0.5_xvkbd-3.7_all.pet, available here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 866#950866

I think this would be the one you want. B.K. Johnson, who posted frequent questions regarding Argolance's builds, was running Tahrpup 6.0.5. As a result of the questions, a number of changes were made, ultimately resulting in version 0.5. Reading B.K. Johnson's posts, I get the impression that it may have some quirks regarding how it interacts with simultaneous use of the hardware keyboard, but there remained no question regarding its basic functionality.

Note, the post above also provides a different xvkbd pet, a variation. But, as I said, I think you'll want the xvkbasiconf-0.5_xvkbd-3.7_all.pet. Understanding the difference between the two --something which became clearer from B.K. Johnson's posts-- will require reading the rest of the thread; and, unless you speak French, that will require employment of a translation addon in your web-browser.

Or perhaps the assistance of our somewhat quirky French uncle formerly known as Pelo. .

Working with translation addons is admittedly difficult. But think of doing so as an act of penance for the hubris we, who expect the rest of the world to speak English, exhibit toward those who fail to meet that expectation.

mikesLr

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

As I have installed Tahr at least four times, I am certain the time when xvkbd went haywire there were no Slacko installations of the virtual keyboard.

nubc

#7 Post by nubc »

I installed xvkbd on Tahr 605 from the .pet I used for Slacko 5.7, and this time it worked, and it operates exactly as I prefer. The name of the file for my perfect virtual keyboard is xvkbd3.3_gg_fkeys_global_capswap-0.1.pet found here.

hamoudoudou

bookmarked

#8 Post by hamoudoudou »

bookmarked
Pelo and hamoudoudou were a long time a pair of oxen pulling the same plow

Mayou

Racy 5.3, colorized hu version

#9 Post by Mayou »

Racy 5.3, colorized hu version. Try with Triton (FR Tahr 6.0.3) feed back soon
Attachments
custpmized.jpg
Panel for customize