No sound in Google Chrome 55 from sfs

Booting, installing, newbie
jeffneedle

No sound in Google Chrome 55 from sfs

#1 Post by jeffneedle »

I think I'm getting senile. I thought I'd asked this before, but can't find it when listing the posts I've made.

I'm installing Google Chrome 55 using the sfs file mentioned in these forums. Works perfectly. But when I open Youtube in Chrome, I get no sound.

An associated question. I installed Chromium 62 from the repos, and it appears it's installed just fine. But clicking on the entry in the menu does nothing. No response at all. Surely it's just dunderheaded me. I prefer Chromium, due to privacy issues.

Once again, thanks.

thinkpadfreak

#2 Post by thinkpadfreak »

jeffneedle wrote:
>I installed Chromium 62 from the repos, and it appears it's installed just fine. But clicking on
the entry in the menu does nothing. No response at all.

I assume that you are using ubuntu-based 64bit puppy. Chromium is supposed to be run as an ordinary user, not as an administrator(root).
If you are going to run chromium-browser as root, I think the following options are needed.
Try running it using a terminal.

# chromium-browser --no-sandbox --disable-infobars --disk-cache-dir=/tmp
(--disk-cache-dir=/tmp is optional, but without the option, the save file will soon be full)

Or you can run Chromium as spot.
Tahrpup, for example, has Login and Security Manager. Set it up so that "chromium-browser" is run as spot, and it will be started from the menu.
I recommend that you edit /usr/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop so that it starts with the option --disk-cache-dir=/tmp

Exec=chromium-browser --disk-cache-dir=/tmp

jeffneedle

#3 Post by jeffneedle »

Tried the Chromium route, but I kept getting a not found error message. The executable exists at /usr/bin/google-chrome, but clicking on it just stalls.

Oh well, I'll stick with Chrome for now. I'll look forward to getting some advice on youtube videos having no sound.

Many thanks.

thinkpadfreak

#4 Post by thinkpadfreak »

jeffneedle wrote:
> Tried the Chromium route, but I kept getting a not found error message. The executable exists at /usr/bin/google-chrome, but clicking on it just stalls.

Which version of puppy are you using? I am using Tahrpup64 6.0.6 and recent Chrome/Chromium runs all right.
If you are using Tahrpup64 6.0.5, you'll need to install libgtk-3 package, and update packages such as libnss3 and libnspr4 (which are already installed).

If you have installed Chromium from ubuntu repo, the executable will be "chromium-browser," not "google-chrome."

Or, you can try Chrome 62 sfs published in this forum.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@thinkpadfreak:-

Jeff might have problems running my Chrome package nowadays. He was running Tahr64, but has (so I understand) moved to 32-bit Tahrpup 6.0.5/6, due to needing WINE, and having problems getting it running in Tahr64.

So he's probably looking at Chromium anyway.....and peebee's Chromium packages will no longer run in Tahr64, 'cos the glibc's now considered 'too old'. And even the newest versions of SlimJet and Iron will no longer run in Tahr 6.0.5/6.....

The newest versions I can recommend for Tahrpup are SlimJet 15.1.6.0 and Iron 58.0.3050.0.

Blame Google.....not me!

Mike. :wink:

thinkpadfreak

#6 Post by thinkpadfreak »

Mike wrote:
> peebee's Chromium packages will no longer run in Tahr64, 'cos the glibc's now considered 'too old'.

It would be a shame if Chrome/Chromium could not be run on Tahrpup, because Tahrpup is an official distrubution.

I downloaded Chrome (deb for ubuntu) from google, extracted it, and made it into an sfs package.

I installed libgtk-3 (and its dependency) to Tahrpup64 6.0.5, and updated libnss and libnspr packages. Chrome 62 runs on Tahrpup 64 6.0.5, though I have not yet fully tested it.

Also, I hope that as long as ubuntu engineers provide Chromium (deb) for ubuntu tahr, it will continue to run on Tahrpup.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@thinkpadfreak:-

I'm not disputing what you're saying about Chrome/Chromium in Tahr. My point is that Chrome/Chromium are only available as 64-bit packages these days, so, if you want the most recent version all the time, you have to be running Tahr64.

Many Puppians still run 32-bit-only hardware.

I have a dual-core 64-bit processor, but still run many 32-bit Puppies by choice. In 32-bit Pups, if you want a fairly new 'Chrome/Chromium', then it has to be one of the Chromium 'clones' (SlimJet or Iron), since Flashpeak and SRWare still produce 32-bit versions.

For 32-bit Tahr, this is either SlimJet 15.1.6.0, or Iron 58.0.3050.0. Any newer, and you start to run into problems with the gtk-3/nss stuff.....and for some older Pups, this is a problem. They're capable of running these browsers.....but the gtk-3/nss stuff isn't available through their repos. So it has to be sourced elsewhere.

With the current SFS packages of Chrome, for 64-bit Pups, this is why it's now built with all the libs'n'stuff 'self-contained'. Chrome has what it needs to function.....but at the same time, it won't 'break' any other programs/apps you may be running which are happier with older versions of those libs.

In so doing, I've removed the need to have to update these manually.

(Chromium is at the root of the 'tree', but is always built against the very newest version of the glibc. Google take Chromium (which they sponsor anyway), re-compile it against an older version of this, add their proprietary bits'n'bobs, and release it as Chrome, so as to make it available to a much wider userbase. SlimJet and Iron are also recompilations of Chromium, with various things added to 'customize' them...)

Not everybody rabidly upgrades to the newest version of an OS the second it's released, y'know.....under the mis-apprehension that it's 'safer'.

thinkpadfreak

#8 Post by thinkpadfreak »

Mike wrote:
> Not everybody rabidly upgrades to the newest version of an OS the second it's released, y'know.....under the mis-apprehension that it's 'safer'.

I agree.
I am using 32-bit Tahrpup in addition to Tahrpup64. And I would like to respect Tahrpup as an official distribution.
So, I think it strange that the Chromium sfs package published in this forum does not support Tahrpup.

On 32-bit Tahrpup, I run Chromium, which starts from a 'home-made' sfs I made from ubuntu debs. So, I hope it will continue to run as long as deb packages for tahr are provided. (As for Tahrpup 6.0.5, you need to install libgtk-3, and upgrade libnss and libnspr.)

I appreciate your effort to embed necessary libs in your sfs.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

thinkpadfreak wrote:Mike wrote:
> Not everybody rabidly upgrades to the newest version of an OS the second it's released, y'know.....under the mis-apprehension that it's 'safer'.

I agree.
I am using 32-bit Tahrpup in addition to Tahrpup64. And I would like to respect Tahrpup as an official distribution.
So, I think it strange that the Chromium sfs package published in this forum does not support Tahrpup.
Not so strange when you take a look at the distribution strategy.

Chrome, SlimJet and Iron, whether you download the .deb or the tarball, are essentially a 'finished product'. The user can install them, and run them straight away.

With Chromium, it's different. There is no central location, anywhere, that you can visit and download a 'ready-to-go' version of Chromium that will run straight off. Most distros download the source code, and prepare their own 'spins' on the browser.

peebee has to find Chromium where he can.....then further modify it to work with Puppy. I don't think anybody quite appreciates the tremendous amount of effort he puts into making Chromium available for the community. And it's getting so that with every release, Google jack the 'minimum' requirements up further still.

Google themselves have been making all sorts of major changes to the Chromium code-base in recent months.....most of which work well for multi-user systems. Not so much for Pup's rather unique way of running as 'root - a process which horrifies most users of 'mainstream' distros, who have been brainwashed into believing that running as root literally IS the 'root of all evil'.....so dangerous it's akin to playing with an unstable atomic bomb!

thinkpadfreak

#10 Post by thinkpadfreak »

@jeffneedle

You have not yet made clear which version of puppy you are using.

As far as Tahrpup64 is concerned, it is supported by Chrome (deb package by Google) and Chromium (deb package by ubuntu).
As I told you before, try running Chrome/Chromium with appropriate command options.

As for Tahrpup64 6.0.5, necessary libraries are downloadable through PPM. Tahrpup64 6.0.6 does not need additional libraries.
I am sure Chrome/Chromium will run well on Tahrpup if you re-install the OS freshly.