Quirky Pyro64 version 0.6 (alpha) -- and Pyro32 0.5

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
TyroBGinner

#121 Post by TyroBGinner »

Finally, a Puppy Linux version that uses a current kernel! Much thanks to Kauler.

I am very appreciative of having a large array of drivers and firmware incorporated into the distro - even if it means a larger size for the iso file. I have some pieces of newer hardware that got drivers into the kernel only recently...around version 4.13, I think.

Having a 64-bit processor and/or eight gigs of memory doesn't mean you're rich or spoiled. It just means that you're living in the current decade.

Onward and upward...

Sage

#122 Post by Sage »

{
Having a 64-bit processor and/or eight gigs of memory doesn't mean you're rich or spoiled
No prizes for guessing where you live! You just don't get the RoW do you.}

Run into this video screen display issue previously reported for Easy with Pyro64. Using a SOTA 1Gb Radeon, multi outputs into my SOTA smart TV, cannot get any res. without the edgemost icons spilling off-screen. Checked out suggestions given previously, but my HW & TV specs are all good. Unable to pin down the root cause with my limited knowledge. Pyro32 on bog std. kit is OK.
...and:
Pyro32 won't detect wired NIC connection but OK on wifi. Pyro32 works well on TV @ 1280x1024 with no loss of icon display at edges.
1up, 1down.

BBC/iPlayer accepts log-ins, but fails to run under SM on either Pyro??? This may be a BBC thing. Expect Auntie's management, Westminster politicians and the Treasury to screw up, as usual. Limeys may wish to confirm - or otherwise.

scsijon

Prepare your computer for booting Linux.html &some problems!

#123 Post by scsijon »

Firstly, just a little note for BarryK,

For the instruction page "Prepare your computer for booting Linux.html"

I wonder if you should add a note before trying to shrink with windows disk manager to run the windows disk optimiser? Especially if the system has been used before and cleaned up by deleting applications. Just a thought.

EDIT1: Problem1
Just a queery, can someone tell me how to access the equivalent of the old JWM Configuration Manager's "Tray Configuration Options" page please, I can't find it and manually setting the config file under /root is not working.

EDIT2
OK, I just came across ARChon in the unsorted area http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=102884, and considering what's now available on android, I wonder if this package should not now be considered a usefull addition to puppy as it seems to let us run android apps on puppy (even if in a chrome browser). Maybe there is even a mod or another for seamonkey out there.

EDIT3: Problem2
Your startup page "file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm" needs it's first link updating, it's looking at the old blog site.

Just got a Lenovo ideapad 110S-11|BR cheap (their at eol but lightweight without falling backwards all the time, small enough to be very portable, and good enough for me to use for writing storyboards with), it's a 64bit Celeron 3060 with 4gig of ram and it seems to like Pyro64 so far as i've tested. It's not bad for a 11.6" 16:9 screened system. Only strange thing it's using a Sandisk Ultra DF4032 (32GB) mounted on the motherboard for storage and that appears not as a hard drive but as a Full Sized SD Card in the desktop with hardinfo and pup-sysinfo showing it as a USB Device. I shall in time upgrade and add a 256GB SSD as there is an internal spot for it to plug in and Levano is nice enough to have online a PDF Repair Manual for the model that shows how to add it. On top of that is the ability to setup the bios to run in either UEFI OR Legacy mode. I'll await barry's beta version to install though.

EDIT4: Problem3
PKGget Package Manager and it's :configure page are not sizing themselves to the screen, even when the fullscreen button (square) is pressed. PPM is remaining small horizontally while extending below the screen vertically and the :configure screen is extending to the right and below the available screen and therefore no access to these "hidden" areas..

EDIT5: How to add a SWAP Partition
I built some "spare" space at the end of the 16gig usb drive when I loaded it with pyro64 "for future use" in case I needed for some reason to add another partition. Having played with Pyro64 for a while I had the idea of changing it from a blank partition to 4gig of swap and see if pyro would pick it up. This might help those with low ram pc's as I had noted when reading the thread backwards that there were a few 'available memory space' problems.
Test 1: when starting the laptop, I dynamically added to the end of the startup script qfix=swapon, and it was shown to be used when it started up.
Test 2: I just let it run without changing the startup script and it still picked it up, so with a little thought when 'loading' the usb you are no longer limited to just the ram available, you can have some swap space also.

So, to a 16gig usb you have partitions like after initial installation but not yet used:
sdb1 a vfat32 boot partition
sdb2 a ext4 / partition
BEFORE STARTING FROM THE USB DRIVE the first time
Add with gparted:
AT THE END OF THE USB NOT EARLIER
as sdb3 a linux-swap partition of 4GB (4096MB)
leaving any extra space between sdb2 and the new sdb3's swap partition
Only then, shutdown the system, restart using the usb for the first time
And after iut's up, opening a Console Screen and typing swapon (or swapon -s) you should see something like:
NAME TYPE SIZE Used PRIO
/dev/sdb3 partition 4G 0B -1

this shows a 4GB Partition assigned as a swap partition is active.

I'll add more here as I find them until BarryK releases his update, then i'll start a new post when I find something worth posting about.

Hope his bushwalking is going well.
Last edited by scsijon on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 01:17, edited 6 times in total.

Sage

#124 Post by Sage »

supra
...BBC/iPlayer accepts log-ins, but fails to run under SM on either Pyro???
The old enemies strike again. Auntie, MS, Tory Party & Adobe. Hoops to jump through for iPlayer:
- must register with BBC now
- need to load FP

Further testing: subjectively Pyro32 seems to be working more reliably on 32&64 bit machines? Might be illusory? Other feedback?
Would be helpful if the wired network failure could be rectified on both as well as reducing the size and load times. Maybe some of these are mutually exclusive?

foxpup

feedback pyro64-0.5

#125 Post by foxpup »

I was waiting for another non-ubuntu build after easy/pyro-0.3. So I was very happy to find out about this new OE build.
I did a frugal install on SSD from iso. It starts up and works very fast.

I still have the problem with the wifi not connecting automatically at startup. It seems like the settings for wlan0 are not preserved across reboot.
No other problems so far.

I do not need LibreOffice, so if you want to save on size, I suggest leaving LO out. I guess one could easily add it as portable when needed; I would have to check if it works in Pyro like in Puppy. It is amazing though LO is in it, looking at the total size of Pyro!
Last edited by foxpup on Wed 22 Nov 2017, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#126 Post by Sage »

New problem:- can't get a picture with a Radeon 9550 for Pyro32, even when using qfix=nox, CTRL_ALT_BKSPACE also inoperative.
Isolated as an HW issue associated with presence of older HD? Curious, though!
Good news: - old FP .pets work for iPlayer (probably no security issues for liveCD operating).

scsijon

#127 Post by scsijon »

From your blog question.

Linux firmware has it's own 'spot' and usually it's own package nowadays. Can I take I this is what your looking for?

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... rmware.git

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Prepare your computer for booting Linux.html &some problems!

#128 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote: EDIT3: Problem2
Your startup page "file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm" needs it's first link updating, it's looking at the old blog site.

EDIT4: Problem3
PKGget Package Manager and it's :configure page are not sizing themselves to the screen, even when the fullscreen button (square) is pressed. PPM is remaining small horizontally while extending below the screen vertically and the :configure screen is extending to the right and below the available screen and therefore no access to these "hidden" areas..

EDIT5: How to add a SWAP Partition
I built some "spare" space at the end of the 16gig usb drive when I loaded it with pyro64 "for future use" in case I needed for some reason to add another partition. Having played with Pyro64 for a while I had the idea of changing it from a blank partition to 4gig of swap and see if pyro would pick it up. This might help those with low ram pc's as I had noted when reading the thread backwards that there were a few 'available memory space' problems.
Test 1: when starting the laptop, I dynamically added to the end of the startup script qfix=swapon, and it was shown to be used when it started up.
Test 2: I just let it run without changing the startup script and it still picked it up, so with a little thought when 'loading' the usb you are no longer limited to just the ram available, you can have some swap space also.

So, to a 16gig usb you have partitions like after initial installation but not yet used:
sdb1 a vfat32 boot partition
sdb2 a ext4 / partition
BEFORE STARTING FROM THE USB DRIVE the first time
Add with gparted:
AT THE END OF THE USB NOT EARLIER
as sdb3 a linux-swap partition of 4GB (4096MB)
leaving any extra space between sdb2 and the new sdb3's swap partition
Only then, shutdown the system, restart using the usb for the first time
And after iut's up, opening a Console Screen and typing swapon (or swapon -s) you should see something like:
NAME TYPE SIZE Used PRIO
/dev/sdb3 partition 4G 0B -1

this shows a
home.htm is fixed.

Re resizing of PKGget window, I will leave that one for now. I am only an occasional user of gtkdialog, and it is not obvious to me right now how I would fix that.

I have read reports that it is unwise to use an ordinary usb stick as a swap partition. But, one with an ssd controller would be ok.

I have one of the latter, a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0. Even so, I am wary of putting a swap partition on it.

But yeah, if you do put it on the usb stick, it will be detected and used.

Changing the subject, I have compiled 'youtube-dl' (youtube downloader, a python script) in OE, and it will be in the next release of Pyro64. There is a GUI for it, also intend to bump pMusic to latest version, which will use youtube-dl.

EDIT
Oh, remembered, Quirky Pyro does not have pMusic, uses Xine for audio and video playing.

Anyway, the PET is available:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... .6.0-1.pet
Last edited by BarryK on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: feedback pyro64-0.5

#129 Post by BarryK »

foxpup wrote:I still have the problem with the wifi not connecting automatically at startup. It seems like the settings for wlan0 are not preserved across reboot.
Hmmm, I thought that I had nailed that bug.

Are you using SNS (Simple Network Setup)?

foxpup

#130 Post by foxpup »

BarryK wrote:Are you using SNS (Simple Network Setup)?
Yes I am

belham2

#131 Post by belham2 »

foxpup wrote:
BarryK wrote:Are you using SNS (Simple Network Setup)?
Yes I am

Foxpup,

I don't know if this applies in your case or not, but 2-3 months (or maybe more) ago I had horrible problems with both my wifi and lan profiles not being saved across reboots using both SNS & Network Wizard. I started a whole thread about it too...others chimed in they'd been having intermittent problems too over the past few years, and never knew what the problem was exactly.

Then, I (we) realized a lot of us had been setting up new 'frugal' installs of the same OS and reusing the Savefile/Folder from its previous version (just dropping or leaving the existing Savefile/Folder into the 'frugal' folder) without clearing the saved connection profiles (I guess things need cleared out every now & then). Well, that was the reason SNS and/or Network Wizard was not connecting straight away at boot---even though I had repeatedly (on so many boots) set it up again, and saved it, it would never auto-connect at boot. Was frustrating. :? But....once I blasted all saved connection profiles for SNS & Network Wizard out of the Savefile/Folder, upon next boot I then had to set it all up fresh again and from that point on i was greeted at bootup with either the wifi and/or lan auto connected at boot. :wink:

Apologies if this doesn't apply to you in your case...just thought I'd mention it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#132 Post by BarryK »

Quirky Pyro64 0.6 is out:

http://bkhome.org/news/201711/quirky-py ... eased.html

One new thing is youtube-dl, with GUI, via the menu "Internet -> YouTubeDL YouTube downloader"

...well, that has been in earlier quirkies, forgot it for Pyro build.

If you have a PC with UEFI-firmware, the pyro64-0.6-8gb.img.gz file has syslinux for BIOS and rEFInd for UEFI, so for the latter you get a nice menu with auto-probing of other OSs.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#133 Post by BarryK »

Oh, got a "internal server error 500" when tried PPLOG.

Discovered why. Previously tested it with the devx PET installed, which has the full perl. Without devx, there is only "perl_tiny", which is a considerably cutdown perl.

By examining /var/log/hiawatha/error.log, I discovered that these perl modules are required: if.pm, deprecate.pm, base.pm

I have added these to the template for perl_tiny in woofQ, so next version it should be ok.

foxpup

Re: feedback wifi connect

#134 Post by foxpup »

belham2 wrote: But....once I blasted all saved connection profiles for SNS & Network Wizard out of the Savefile/Folder, upon next boot I then had to set it all up fresh again and from that point on i was greeted at bootup with either the wifi and/or lan auto connected at boot. :wink:
Hi belham2
Still on pyro-0.5 trying. No joy here. I do frugal install for pyro and do not 'recover' pupsave, start with new pupsave, but the problem remains. In the screen capture of sns you can see that the profile for wireless is there, but when I click "connect now" it does not connect.
When I run rc.network in console I get "ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132". I do not know whether this has anythhing to do with the failure to connect.
Attachments
capture16756.png
sns
(51.11 KiB) Downloaded 737 times

foxpup

feedback pyro-0.5

#135 Post by foxpup »

Another little thing:
Show Location does not do anything in pFind.

Sage

#136 Post by Sage »

Quirky Pyro64 0.6 is out:
.iso
Sadly, getting KP. Ironically on a well-endowed P4, not the usual AMD+nV/Radeon, etc.
Double checked with new d/l from nluug instead of ibiblio -
same KP. Conclusion:
There must be something wrong with the .iso?
Triple check:
it runs on an ancient ECS/AMD 754/onboard SiS chipset/video - amazing. Should've stuck with the old bangers rather than pander to the Wintel cr*p. Except that it won't see my wired NIC by default (neither SNS nor Fris) - had this issue before! Unable to get DCHP to switch on.
Seems there's a number of rogue HW combos out here.

foxpup

kernel panic - INSTALL_SPECS

#137 Post by foxpup »

Sage wrote:.iso
Sadly, getting KP.
I had it running in 2 ways now. First I did dd the iso to a usb and started that. Next I clicked on the install button on the desktop and had it installed frugally to a partition on my harddisk. I added it to my grub.cfg. It boots alright from the harddisk, I am in it now.
Sage, maybe you just did the install manually by copying the init, kernel and q.sfs from the iso. If you did that, you will see the init does not have a INSTALL_SPECS, which pyro needs to find its installation. This is what is in it for me:

Code: Select all

INSTALL_DEV=sda9
INSTALL_FS=ext3
INSTALL_FOLDER=pyro64-0.6

Sage

#138 Post by Sage »

I don't install at all, main interest is liveCD for testing, diagnosis, demonstration, etc. as you'll see from my earliest missives. My results are kosher, as given. It has to run as a liveCD, anyway, before any install options and this one doesn't over a range of HW for which it is intended.

foxpup

#139 Post by foxpup »

Sage wrote:and this one doesn't over a range of HW for which it is intended.
I only install quirky on nearly new machines. Is that what it is intended for, or not?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: feedback pyro-0.5

#140 Post by BarryK »

foxpup wrote:Another little thing:
Show Location does not do anything in pFind.
That one came up before, and I tested it and it worked.

you need to highlight the file first.