Who's treated themselves to some new hardware recently?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Mike Walsh

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

I've finally moved at least partially into the modern world, and treated myself to a wireless keyboard. And also treated myself to another new mouse..... (*groan*)

I must have drawerfuls of the things by now... :lol: Anyway...

The keyboard I really bought for the old Dell lappie. Y'all probably recall that I spilt coffee all over the right-hand side of the keyboard nearly a year ago.....and, although at least some keys have recovered, others (including some rather awkward to fix function keys), never will.

You can find 'em out there.....but they're like hen's teeth and gold dust. Very rare, and their vendors are asking absolutely silly money for them.

Like in the 3-figure range. (*ouch!*)

So I figured the easiest thing to do would be to get a reasonably-priced wireless model. Accordingly, I decided to go on a shopping expedition, and spend some of the money I'd been given for my birthday last week..!

I had a look round several shops. I was thinking of one of these:-

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ ... us?crid=27

.....the Logitech K400, with the built-in touchpad. I very quickly disabused myself of that notion, after trying it out in-store; the key 'action' was awful. Too plasticky, & 'clacky' for my liking. Yeuch.

I tried out several other mid-range models, but they all, without fail, had one or another major flaw that would have made them unliveable with. I'd nearly given the whole thing up as a bad job, when my eye fell on this little gem:-

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computin ... 4-pdt.html

Cheap'n'cheerful, so if it didn't work out, at least it wasn't going to break the bank.....but; the key 'action' was absolutely wonderful. Smooth, quiet, with enough positivity to it so you knew you'd pressed it, and a very slight 'bounce' at the bottom of travel. Pretty much like the Dell's original keyboard, TBH.....which is one of the best I've ever come across. And it was even in the same colour scheme as the Dell's 'Venetian Blue' & silver..!

So I grabbed one.

Like many of these wireless 'boards, it's got a row of 'media' keys at the top of the keyboard.....and the amazing thing is, 75% of these work straight off with Puppy. Volume up/down, muting, music player start/pause/stop, all work flawlessly. The only ones that don't are two that are supposed to start the default e-mail program, and open your 'My-Documents' folder in Windoze. These both start the default browser instead.....but I think I can live with that.

All-in-all, quite an amazing find for a Puppy 'box'. I'm well chuffed. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the extra mouse, well, it's one of these:-

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computin ... 5-pdt.html

A Sandstrom SMWLHYP15 wireless 'BlueTrace' mouse with 'hyper-fast' scrolling. It's one of these 'ergonomic' designs.....but that wasn't the main reason I bought it.

I've always found that, even by using using 'pupX - set properties of x', I could never get the mouse to move fast enough round the screen for my liking.....even with the acceleration set to the max of 7. I initially thought this thing would have a fancy software solution to this, but.....no. It's a purely mechanical one.....which works surprisingly well.

All Sandstrom have done is to install a mechanical 'locking' button, which retracts and releases the ratchet mechanism that gives your scroll wheel its 'click' as you turn it! With the button in the 'normal' position, your scroll wheel behaves as usual. When you press the button to the 'unlock' position, it retracts the ratchet mechanism.....and with but a flick of the fingertip, you can scroll the length of a long web-page with ease.

Like all the best solutions, it's very, very simple.....and works amazingly well. Job's a good'un..!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm curious as to what hardware other 'Puppians' may have discovered that works well for them.....especially if it doesn't break the bank. I know we're an ingenious lot on here...!! :lol: :lol:

C'mon; let's hear about it.... :D

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#2 Post by belham2 »

Hi ya Mike,

I guess I get "chuffed" in a different way.

Just added this llittle beauty to my puppy arsenal.

Damn thing :shock: worked 100% on my pups right out of the box!
Attachments
sledgehammer.jpeg
(4.51 KiB) Downloaded 711 times

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

belham2 wrote:Hi ya Mike,

I guess I get "chuffed" in a different way.

Just added this llittle beauty to my puppy arsenal.

Damn thing :shock: worked 100% on my pups right out of the box!
Ah, hell, man..... How could ya do that to sweet, irresistible, cute little canines..?? :lol: :lol: :roll:

(*shakes head...*)

:D :D

[On a more 'sensible' note, it always amazes me the number of USB devices that are described as being only for 'Windows & Macs'.....as though Linux didn't support USBs! :roll: ]

Sylvander

#4 Post by Sylvander »

Just recently bought:
Shark DuoClean Cordless Vacuum Cleaner with Flexology [Twin Battery]
Paid £300 at Currys/PC world.
So far it's looking good, does what it claims in the TV adverts.
Has lots of useful features.
You click various parts together to make the maximum size or remove parts to make it smaller.

We bought it because we wanted something smaller and lighter and easier to use than our power-cable connected [and huge/heavy] VAX.

I was fearful it might not be powerful enough, and that the batteries might not last long enough.
So far my fears seem unfounded.
It came with 2 battery cassettes, a charging base that takes up to 2 battery cassettes, and a power unit.
You can connect just one battery to the power unit, or else use the base plus power unit and charge 2 batteries at once.
This can be done at any wall power socket.
Once charged, Just slide a battery cassette into the preferred vacuum assemblage, then press the power button, and it powers on.
You then press buttons to the left and right of the power button.
LEFT: choose carpet or hard floor. [the brush and roller spin fast on carpet, slow on hard floor]
RIGHT: choose normal or high power.
Normal gives 22-min on each battery [44-min total for 2 batteries].
44-min did about 98% of my 3-bed semi in 1 session.
Then took 3.5 hours to recharge.
I guess it would make more sense to do 1/2 of the house [one floor] at each session.

There are 3 LED's on each cassette that display how charged/discharged.
1 & 2 unblinking and 3 blinking during charge means it's almost full.
When 3 becomes unblinking it's full.
During use they work backward from 3 to 1.
When 3 & 2 are unlit and 1 is blinking the battery is almost empty.
When the battery becomes fully discharged, the vacuum will then auto power off and all LED's are unlit.

Pressing the button to release and bend the middle of the tube to go under furniture is REALLY useful, and it works well.
Same with folding it over for storage.

Has 3 filters that seem pretty effective:
1: A [stainless steel methinks] mesh tube stops all of the carpet fluff in the clear plastic holder at the handle end.
Had to empty this about 4 or 5 times during the 1st session, but then it's so easily done it isn't a problem.
2: The 2nd filter is behind the white cover in the handle end.
Looks like a 1-inch thick, 2 inch long cylinder of fine mesh white foam plastic, stopping very fine pale dust [same colour as our carpet].
Haven't yet cleaned it after 1.5 house cleaning sessions.
It had accumulated some dust after the 1st session.
3: The 3rd filter is at the air discharge grid at the heel end of the hand & handle [the air goes along inside the handle].
So far, I see no dust on it.

The bottom end [cleaning head] seems to have a [smart] powered motor inside, because...
When you power-on...
provided you then push the head down to the floor [with your foot]...
and then move it slightly [to turn the wheels?]
The brush and roller begin spinning and pull the cleaning head forward.
This pull is just forceful enough...
Though it does feel like I'm being pulled along.
Still able to pull it rearward without difficulty.
Hence it works rather well in assisting movement and the cleaning action.
You can see the effect of the brushhing action on the carpet pile.
Not so much that I worry about the capet being worn away.
Time will tell.

wiak

#5 Post by wiak »

So, can we woof-CE this or control it remotely via a Pup?

wiak ;-)

Billtoo

#6 Post by Billtoo »

I bought this handy dandy device not long ago.
Attachments
usbhub.jpg
(37.11 KiB) Downloaded 659 times

infromthepound

#7 Post by infromthepound »

I bought myself a Logitech G15 keyboard yesterday.
Backlite keys and more buttons than I know what to do with.
It looks new and cost me $3 from the Salvos.
JB

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

@Billtoo:-

Yep, those things are handy.....especially when you've got as many USB 'gadgets' as I've got. They're especially useful for lappies, too, where you haven't got more than a couple of ports to start with.....although I do prefer those with their own power supply. Laptops often can't supply the full current needed when you're employing multiple ports (unlike a desktop).

@infromthepound:-

Nice find! Image

Billtoo

#9 Post by Billtoo »

Hi Mike,

Mine has it's own power adapter with approx 6 foot cable, the usb connector from the hub is approx 3 foot.
The 6 foot cable goes to the powerbar and it's not too strong looking but my cat hasn't destroyed it yet :)

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

Well, Black Friday got me this year. :evil:
That evil, super big box store in America :lol:

I got a Samsung 32inch curved monitor for about $100.00 off the regular price.

Have been wanting a 32 inch monitor for some time.

The curve thing, I was not too sure about, but the price was very good for what it is.

After using it for some time.
I really like the curve of the screen.
Any place on the screen is the same distance from your eyes.
With a 32 inch screen that is a big deal :D

Note:
Funny review by someone that got one.
Gave it one star ratting out of 5 stars.
They complained because it did not have a DB-15 VGA video input. It only has HDMI and Display Port connections.
I do not think any new monitors still have DB-15 VGA connections.
I guess they do not know about adapters. :shock: :roll:
Said they are taking it back for a refund, because of this.
Attachments
monitor.jpg
(28.49 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
monitor1.jpg
(9.17 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

TyroBGinner

#11 Post by TyroBGinner »

Ah, a fun topic...

As much as I would like to make this a discussion worthy of PCPartPicker, I will refrain from doing so. I will only say that I am still coming up with my parts list for a decent home computer.

Mike Walsh mentioned both a mouse and keyboard. I have tried to find a keyboard that is both mechanical and wireless, but they are virtually nonexistent. The only one I have run across ranges in price from $200 to $250. The mouse is interesting. Some of the top Logitech mouses have great features like multiple side and top buttons and a scroll wheel that is variably smooth or discrete. The wheel also has left and right switches. I have used them, and they are quite nice. I wish the top Logitech mouse had the side scrolling wheel like its next best model. Too bad the top mouse is $150.

What is bigpup's display specs, like panel type and resolution? I got a stopgap display a year ago - it still remains only a temporary fix for my previous display which was hideous. It is not bad for its $120 price - a 27 inch size, IPS panel, non-PWM dimming, 1920x1080 resolution, and two HDMI and one VGA input. It could have used a 3.5 mm audio output.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

I just bought some Altec Lansing MZX856 20-hour wireless earbuds. In short, they're keepers. The reviews I read said the sound quality was average but I think it's perfect. I suppose the reviewers must have been youngsters used to turning up the bass until their eyes cross. I'm so old that my ears are losing the high frequencies, so I appreciate a flat frequency response from earphones. Too much bass annoys my ears.
The earbuds are supposed to be waterproof. I might just try wearing them in the shower to confirm. After I wash my ears, of course.

p310don

#13 Post by p310don »

As much as Puppy is fantastic for not only resurrecting older hardware, it generally means you don't need to purchase / upgrade hardware.

And yet, I have just rebuilt my PC with a new Coolermaster Silencio case.

New USB wireless dongle.

Fairly recently upgraded to wireless desktop.

Generally speaking, I can't help myself when it comes to computer bits.

Sylvander

#14 Post by Sylvander »

Update on my "Shark DuoClean Cordless Vacuum Cleaner with Flexology [Twin Battery]":

1. Still happy with it. :D
a. The GOOD:
a1. Really quick and easy to use. It can be quickly and easily whipped out to do small jobs or whatever. Convenient.
a2. The battery setup is good. doesn't run out of power too soon, easy to recharge. No shortage of power. Use one until it runs flat, then remove it, set it to recharge and swap in the other battery cassette.
a3. The fine dust [2nd] filter was really easy to clean. I just rinsed/squished the foam filter in washing up water, then squeezed out the excess water and left it to dry in normal/warm room air.
This doesn't need cleaned too frequently. Perhaps after cleaning the whole house twice.

b. Slightly not so good:
b1. The fluff collector needs emptied every time I clean 1 level of the house, although it is REALLY EASY to empty.
If I allow it to overfill, the fluff begins to build up back down the tube toward the cleaning head, and then it flashes warning lights and refuses to continue functioning until the fluff is cleared, which is easy to do.
b2. The brush in the cleaning head collects fluff/fibre/hair, and needs cleaned every time 2 house floor levels have been cleaned.
It's fairly easy to do, but somewhat fiddly. Takes about 5-min to complete.
There is no warning that this needs done, and the cleaner continues to function, but the user [me] can easily/clearly see the buildup, and that it needs cleared.

Burn_IT

#15 Post by Burn_IT »

[On a more 'sensible' note, it always amazes me the number of USB devices that are described as being only for 'Windows & Macs'.....as though Linux didn't support USBs! Rolling Eyes ]
Old post, but I've only just read it.

It only means that the DRIVERS for Windows and MACS are included where the drivers for Linux aren't- possibly becaue of the need to match them with the many different Kernel versions.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Billtoo

#16 Post by Billtoo »

I haven't been able to get it working in EasyOS or Puppy but I bought an inexpensive usb Bluetooth speaker at Walmart.
It works well in Mint,Ubuntu, etc.

It has good volume level.
Attachments
speaker.jpg
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 642 times

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

Have to add bluetooth software.
Tried adding the bluetooth support with maybe something like this.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109828
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#18 Post by Mike Walsh »

Finally decided to treat myself to another wireless keyboard.....this time, for the big Compaq desktop.

I've been using the venerable, trusty old Logitech K270 wired, full-size keyboard for around the last 4 years. It's a lovely keyboard, and I've got very used to it; I'm just 'miffed' about the lead snaking over to the back of my desk....it always seems to be 'snagging' on other things. I was having a nose around on the Currys/PCWorld website, here in the UK, and noticed that Logitech now seem to have a wireless version of the same item; the MK270.

Not only that, but it appears to only be available in tandem with the M185 mouse, being sold as a 'combo' bundle....both being already paired to the same LogiTech Unifying Receiver (a piece of tech pioneered by Logitech, where you can have up to six separate items all running from a single 'dongle'). It's a neat idea, that cuts down on loads of different receivers.....and it's handy having them ready paired for you, since the pairing technology only actually works in Windoze. (Doesn't work under WINE; I've tried it. Doesn't want to know..!)

Another mouse! (*Groan*) :lol: Actually, I don't mind the M185; it's a good, small, straight-forward wireless mouse (I've got one already), but I can use the new one without needing to plug another receiver in.....

The row of 'media' buttons mostly work.....around 75%. In the 'buntu-based Pups, the volume up/down/mute keys work, with an on-screen display; they work in the Slackos, too, but no OSD. The calculator button actually starts galculator; astounding. (That's in 'buntu Pups; not in the Slackos, though.) And the 'play/pause' key starts your default media-player; again, 'buntus only.

I'm quite happy with it, I must say. If I get 4-5 years out of this one, that'll do me.....and for a 'Black Friday' bundle price of just under GBP £20 all-in, ya cannot complain..! :D

nosystemdthanks

#19 Post by nosystemdthanks »

ive got a used laptop (new to me) with 8gb of ram-- this is twice as much as ive ever had on any machine.

when i get a new laptop it is typically dirt cheap, as i wait around for something no longer wanted by its owner. this one was well under $100 usd. (relevant: https://freemedia.neocities.org/zero-dollar-laptop.html)

yes of course i load my entire os into ram-- whether i base it on refracta, debian, void linux, or puppy.

though tinycore makes this a bit more tedious because of the way it handles tcz (sfs) packages. it doesnt have to, its the default design choice they made (and there are things you can do about it-- which i also think are a little tedious.)

puppy was the first os i ran entirely in ram and ive loved that feature ever since. with 8gb, you dont necessarily need swap either-- i enable it if im going ot be doing some very serious processing of something. but for those tasks, 8gb plus os + running apps is probably enough! at least until the web finds a way to double the browser ram again. web browsing takes almost as much ram as windows these days-- shameful. (yes i block scripts whenever reasonable.)
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

Billtoo

#20 Post by Billtoo »

I use a usb sound card on my Compaq Presario desktop, it's a Sound
Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro .
I saw a usb powered speaker advertised and bought one of those, it
plugs into the headphone jack on the Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro and the
usb connecter to a nearby usb port, there is also a microhone jack on the
Sound Blaster X-Fi Go Pro (that I don't need/use)
This setup works well with kodi and vlc, haven't found a way to use it
with nexuiz.
The speaker volume is good, and the sound quality is good enough for my
tin ear :)

I have it clamped to the side of the table that the monitor sits on.
-----------------------------------------
EDIT:
This setup works well with kodi and vlc, haven't found a way to use it
with nexuiz.
In Fatdog-800 alpha I opened the control panel and made it the default sound card, then rebooted.

Can hear the guns blazing now.
Attachments
setdefault.jpg
(39.53 KiB) Downloaded 497 times