So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used
to mount the partition read-only.
Attachments
screen shot.jpg
SCREENSHOT
(129.41 KiB) Downloaded 558 times

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

odd msg its actiing like sometbing was not unmounted then another was trying to mount...
As a general rule when I get a read only mount warning with NTFS it was not a error free NFTS to begin with I.e. run check disc next boot into windows and see if the error msg in linux goes away. If NTFS is the lest bit corrupted it will mount read only as protection so you can get at the files but not make matters worse.

npierce

#3 Post by npierce »

oceanblue

[Question] problem to mount NTFS partition

#4 Post by oceanblue »

To npierce....but how can i do that..i'm new to puppy...where i get tht directory and how can i remove that....please help

According to http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 731#680731

npierce

#5 Post by npierce »

Hi oceanblue,

Sorry for the delay. I've not had time to login here for a couple of weeks.

First, unmount the NTFS partition. Then look at the same place where you would normally look for files in the partition. For instance, if the partition is /dev/sda5 you would normally look in the /mnt/sda5 directory.

When the partition is not mounted, there should be no files there. If you see files there when the partition is not mounted, move them somewhere else. After that you should be able to mount the NTFS partition normally.

Kester

#6 Post by Kester »

npierce wrote: When the partition is not mounted, there should be no files there. If you see files there when the partition is not mounted, move them somewhere else. After that you should be able to mount the NTFS partition normally.
Rather late for me to enter this thread but I would like to thank npierce for his advice to oceanblue because it resolved a similar issue for me. So simple when you know how but I was scratching my head at the error message when tests showed there was nothing wrong with the ntfs partition in question (sda3). Somehow a Pburn temporary folder had ended up on the partition. It showed when i unmounted the partition and visited /sda3. Removing the folder resolved the issue.

It's great to know the likes of you, npierce, are out there - thanks again.

veejay

#7 Post by veejay »

npierce wrote:Hi oceanblue,

Sorry for the delay. I've not had time to login here for a couple of weeks.

First, unmount the NTFS partition. Then look at the same place where you would normally look for files in the partition. For instance, if the partition is /dev/sda5 you would normally look in the /mnt/sda5 directory.

When the partition is not mounted, there should be no files there. If you see files there when the partition is not mounted, move them somewhere else. After that you should be able to mount the NTFS partition normally.
npierce! Thanks lot. It worked.