Puppy 2.15CE - Icewm Themes

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
WhoDo

Puppy 2.15CE - Icewm Themes

#1 Post by WhoDo »

Some new Icewm themes planned for Puppy 2.14CE. Please try in conjuction with new CE Wallpapers and let me know what you think. Here's a sample:

Remember to vote for your preferred theme to attract new users of Puppy rather than as something personally pleasing.

Cheers
Last edited by WhoDo on Fri 02 Mar 2007, 22:27, edited 8 times in total.

TonshA

#2 Post by TonshA »

These themes look fantastic! I'm looking forward to 2.14CE...

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

I kinda like them and I kinda don't. They just seem tacky to me. I don't really know what to suggest though. I've always liked True-Curve and RevolutionX (in various old dotpups). True-Curve would need a little bit of tweaking on the fonts. RevolutionX could use a little work in the taskbar, right now it seems a bit glaring. Alternate colorschemes for both would also be cool.

The wallpapers are okay, but I think something Puppy-ish would also be kool.

I'll play around with Gimp and IceWM next week and see what I can come up with. :D
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:I kinda like them and I kinda don't. They just seem tacky to me. I don't really know what to suggest though.
Could that be the action buttons in the title bar? They are minimalistic and perhaps have an "unfinished" look about them, despite the coloured rollovers.
Pizzasgood wrote: I've always liked True-Curve and RevolutionX (in various old dotpups). True-Curve would need a little bit of tweaking on the fonts. RevolutionX could use a little work in the taskbar, right now it seems a bit glaring. Alternate colorschemes for both would also be cool.
I have given RevolutionX a new start button in the latest theme pack, but I don't have True-Curve at all.
Pizzasgood wrote: The wallpapers are okay, but I think something Puppy-ish would also be kool.

I'll play around with Gimp and IceWM next week and see what I can come up with. :D
Now that would be great! I'm no artist and what I've done is to improve or modify the efforts of others. Something original would be good.

I'm also going to have another look at Vista_Black theme, to see if I can bring it a bit more originality. It's the most professional of the Icewm themes I've seen, but IceBergX is pretty darn good, too. The Vista connection in Vista_Black is not really important, and modifying it would give the theme some Puppy originality, IMHO.

Whatever you contribute will be great, I'm sure! 8)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

TrueCurve Theme:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ?p=991#991

TrueCurve-Aqua Theme:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ?p=997#997

http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/truecurve/

truecurve is not my favourite theme ... it seems to be popular, though

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

Both True-Curve and RevolutionX are also in Pizzapup. True-Curve was my favorite until I saw IceBuntu and GreenBuntu, but I don't know if they'd be appropriate for Puppy CE. They do look great though, some of the best IceWM themes I've seen. I also like the port of Gorilla that I made, though I think the taskbar and menu could still use a little work.

I do like IcebergX. Very nice. Maybe some tweaking the graph applets, and possibly changing the font out of bold.

As for the velvet, it's not the action buttons. Also, tacky was too strong of a word. I was going from memory, which I should have learned by now to not do. :roll: It's the taskbar and the buttons on it that bug me. The paw print is cut off, and the buttons contrast the rest to much (the rest's fault more than theirs). Also, the active menu item seems too round compared to the rest of the menu. I could probably get over that though, it's not too bad.

Whoops. Mom's here. Gotta go.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Eyes-Only

#7 Post by Eyes-Only »

I dunno though... when I look at the default Puppy desktop---and then I take a look at what you've created above WhoDo, I tend to have just the opposite affect of Pizza. I first say, "Wooow..." and then my eyes bug-out after which I'm kind of left in a speechless state of mind.

Come to think of it though that's my normal state of mind most times. ;)

Of course, don't get me wrong about the default Puppy desktop, please! It's very functional... and it's "cute". Like the Puppy distro itself: "It just works." :) Does an admirable job of it as well because it gets the job done. When I first came to Linux back last spring (via Puppy naturally!) I used it as-is for a month except for colouring the JWM to blue.

Ahhh!---but I think as more and more people become increasingly dis-Vistatised with their computers (hehe!) they're going to start going on little Walkabouts to look either at Mac's (too expensive in most cases) or Linux (free---but fractured with hundreds of distros). Unfortunately, since they'll be coming from the XP/Vista world looks are going to count heavily. Sad fact but true. The looks will grab them first and keep them interested. Then they'll be more apt to work a little harder to get over any hurdles they may encounter along the way to continue working with their "beautifully-gorgeous, speedy, little desktop that just works from a CD."

Personally WhoDo, I think you've made a great step in the right direction.

Keep up the great work---and thanks for the above freebies which I've added to all four of my IceWM desktop distros! :)

Amicalement et Bonne Chance! In Friendship and Good Luck!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

WhoDo

#8 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:It's the taskbar and the buttons on it that bug me. The paw print is cut off, and the buttons contrast the rest to much (the rest's fault more than theirs).
I have just uploaded a revised version of the Velvet themes. They now incorporate a depressed button for the active application and the other buttons are less obvious in their coloring (see revised snapshot in first post).
Eyes-Only wrote:Personally WhoDo, I think you've made a great step in the right direction.

Keep up the great work---and thanks for the above freebies which I've added to all four of my IceWM desktop distros! :smile:
Thanks for the encouragement, Eyes-Only. I hope you enjoy the relatively minor changes I've made to the versions now in the first post of this thread.

Cheers

WhoDo

#9 Post by WhoDo »

GuestToo wrote:truecurve is not my favourite theme ... it seems to be popular, though
Thanks, G2. You and I are clearly on the same wavelength where Truecurve is concerned. For my money it just doesn't have the "Wow!" factor that will encourage further exploration. I'd actually prefer my modified IcebergX, if we were going for that crisp, blue-white approach. 8)

Cheers

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'll try the updated velvets when I get back on Sunday. I agree TrueCurve lacks "wow." I guess the simpleness is what appeals to me. It kinda reminds me of legos. Just seems tidy and modular.

EDIT: And I would probably also go with IcebergX over TrueCurve now that I've thought about it.

I was also going to say that I like the VistaBlack theme too, but then Mom came. Going by memory, I think it had a more dark-gray taskbar (as opposed to the dark black of the velvet themes). I think what bugs me about them is that I don't care for the gooey-black look. I mostly like lighter themes, but dark gray is a nice change once in a while. Black just seems to be too far for me. When I try looking at it without that preference, it looks pretty nice. I actually do like it somewhat, I'm just being critical.

Besides, I can install my own themes. Looking at the screenshot, it looks better, but the start button has more empty space than I like. Maybe if the paw was to the left and followed by "Menu" or "Puppy"?

BTW, the green is my favorite.

Eyes-Only

#11 Post by Eyes-Only »

Aha! Now Pizza has expressed it far better. Sorry for my above Pizza! :oops: I do agree with what he's said WhoDo with perhaps the Paw Print being placed off to the left, and how about a stylish"Menu" being placed beside it as you're so great at doing with the "Start" word? Something like that?

In the above screenie that you showed (IcebergX?), that to me was likewise gorgeous! Makes my eyes bug-out!! :shock: (Sorry! Couldn't resist!) However, how about updating the menu icons also being updated in "/usr/share/pixmap" to display and equal the beauty of you desktop and ROX icons? You were probably going to get around to that anyway I would imagine now that I think of it... Yet I couldn't help noticing how "out of place" they were with the rest of your icon theme.

BTW WhoDo: What IS the icon theme that you're using for the desktop/ROX there in the above shot? I seem to have a similar one for the desktop---but those directory ones in ROX take the cake :!: What a beautiful set!

And thanks for the updated themes as well. I'm just now getting here and haven't even had the chance to download/open them. Will do now and stop being long-winded. ;)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

EDIT #1: And BTW: The Green Velvet Theme is likewise my fave of the three as well! :)
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

WhoDo

#12 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:Looking at the screenshot, it looks better, but the start button has more empty space than I like. Maybe if the paw was to the left and followed by "Menu" or "Puppy"?

BTW, the green is my favorite.
Ok, I'll make a mock up with the button the way you suggest. No problem.
Eyes-Only wrote:I do agree with what he's said WhoDo with perhaps the Paw Print being placed off to the left, and how about a stylish"Menu" being placed beside it as you're so great at doing with the "Start" word? Something like that?
Yep. I'll do one with "Start", one with "Menu" and one with "Launch" or maybe "Programs", just to see how they look.
Eyes-Only wrote:However, how about updating the menu icons also being updated in "/usr/share/pixmap" to display and equal the beauty of you desktop and ROX icons? You were probably going to get around to that anyway I would imagine now that I think of it... Yet I couldn't help noticing how "out of place" they were with the rest of your icon theme.
Good point. I hadn't gone that far in my thinking about the interface. The mock ups were just to get people like you popping their eyes out at the prospect! :P
Eyes-Only wrote:BTW WhoDo: What IS the icon theme that you're using for the desktop/ROX there in the above shot? I seem to have a similar one for the desktop---but those directory ones in ROX take the cake Exclamation What a beautiful set!
Glad you like them. It's a personal mixture of KDE-CrystalSVG, OS-K and Futurosoft 0.5 themes. I have combined all of my favourites into a SuperGPLIconThemePak and uploaded to MU's mirror. I'm sure it'll show up there eventually. Download is about 18Mb though.

The best of these icons will appear in /usr/share/pixmaps under Puppy 2.14CE, just to make it easy for our customers! :P

Eyes-Only

#13 Post by Eyes-Only »

WhoDo wrote:
"Glad you like them. It's a personal mixture of KDE-CrystalSVG, OS-K and Futurosoft 0.5 themes. I have combined all of my favourites into a SuperGPLIconThemePak and uploaded to MU's mirror. I'm sure it'll show up there eventually. Download is about 18Mb though."
18megs huh? So? And your point is? :P LOL! Oh heck WhoDo! What's a little 18megs amongst friends anyway? My pup_save is 1.25gigs on a 100gig drive (I think?) and I've got other icon theme sets that are 30 to 40megs sitting on some of my other distros---one of them in Puppy even! I'm just a real resource hog I guess. ;)

Wow! That's quite a combo of various icon themes you've described there when I read through it! I can't wait now to see this release! I'm dang-well frothing at the mouth here. (But I'm not a rabid pup really! I've had my shots Honest Injun!)

While we're at it on "ideas": Back here awhile ago, and I can't recall the thread (though Lobster might) a person posted a "fix" to the "Wizard Wizard" for the mouse settings in Puppy 2.xx series to make the mouse left-handed. Now I've copied his file/script as I was going to attempt the fix on my Puppy, yet no longer being a scripter (and definitely NOT in Linux!) the thing looked Greek to me. Goes into the Wizard in "/sbin" if I recall correctly.

I only bring this up because, #1: I'm a southpaw when it comes to mousing yet I don't want to go into X to change it nor fiddle with the terminal, plus for now I prefer IceWM over Xfce (in the past it was the opposite) and, #2: I've read others requesting this feature as well. Interested?

Apparently the coding makes a radio button that you can tick off for left/right-handedness and is set right-handed by default.

Okie, best stop while ahead. ;)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

MU

#14 Post by MU »

http://puppyfiles.org/packages/Icons/Su ... conPak.pup (18 MB!)

whoodo:
please create your own folder in /incoming/, there is some old stuff, and it gets difficult to sort out what can be removed.

Thanks, Mark

WhoDo

#15 Post by WhoDo »

MU wrote:http://puppyfiles.org/packages/Icons/Su ... conPak.pup (18 MB!)

whoodo:
please create your own folder in /incoming/, there is some old stuff, and it gets difficult to sort out what can be removed.

Thanks, Mark
No problem, Mark. I'll do that straight away.

Cheers

UPDATE: Anything not yet available from PSI downloads has been moved to my /incoming directory. Everything else deleted.

WhoDo

#16 Post by WhoDo »

Eyes-Only wrote:While we're at it on "ideas": Back here awhile ago, and I can't recall the thread (though Lobster might) a person posted a "fix" to the "Wizard Wizard" for the mouse settings in Puppy 2.xx series to make the mouse left-handed. ...[snip]... Interested?

Apparently the coding makes a radio button that you can tick off for left/right-handedness and is set right-handed by default.
Yes. I'm about to create our Puppy 2.14CE: Development Ideas/Requests under Cutting Edge. Please post there when you get a chance.

Cheers

WhoDo

#17 Post by WhoDo »

Button mock-ups for discussion, as requested by both Pizzasgood and Eyes-Only. Obviously other colors are possible for each theme.

Any suggestions/comments?

Feverfew

#18 Post by Feverfew »

Hi yall.

I jest had to put my to cents in hope yall don't mind :) I like IcebergX its my fave so far.

oh the start menu butins I personally like the paw print "Menu"
the one without the circle, thars nathing rong with the "Start" one
but I'd like puppy to not be a complete Vista Clon... Yall Can do better then that :twisted:

I to like the green desktop it is ez'er to read taskbar
and the open windows, and did Pizzasgood say a gray ish taskbar? because that would look great :D

oh yeah, almost forgot the reason that I didn't like the "launch"
is it feels wrong somehow I think its to close to the edge of the button.

WhoDo you're doing a great job :!: *thumbsup*

Sincerely. Few

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#19 Post by mbutts »

the red and green desktop examples are really great. course i like green to start with. i like the richness of the colours. icon wise im partial to anything shiney, wet, or translucent. im still looking for icons myself on my own version i run and when i find one i like i add it. unfortuantly i dont have a theme. its a hodgepodge of what looks nice for each desktop program but with no noticable theme. you do a lot of time consuming work for the forum and we appreciate what your doing. very nice work whodo. as far as the start buttons my 2 cents worth. i like the lower paw print with start. i like my puppy just a lil bit WILD just like a like my women.... just a LIL bit. and that paw print looks outdoorsie. maybe even may i say bold and daring. damn now if i cud just customize women like ths........ opps off subject sorry....hehe. i like START because it is more windows like and we want ppl to feel comfortable with the start button. especially MS challanged persons. (my opinion) now the upper paw is cool. id put it more in the business enviroment or maybe kids, women or just a general class of computer user. its great and ive loved it from the first time i saw the larger pictures of the circled paw. id still keep the START on it. once again my opinion. hopefully more ppl will chime in and let u know. CE name wise im partial to Velvet. not sure why but it caught my eye. maybe cause it sounds sexy. and its not close to sounding like vista. wierd when i think about it. i like start cuz its windows like but not anything close to vista cuz thats like windows. maybe i need to see a theropist like the insurance tv commercials here in the states with the cave man. got any ink blots whodo????? cheers!

Eyes-Only

#20 Post by Eyes-Only »

Oh Lordy! Don't get me started on GEICO commercials! LOL! :lol: Time to drop the caveman and keep the cute Gecko. Of course, having been a Gecko programmer in my past life I could be prejudiced? :D

I'm with MrButts and Feverfew though on the Launchers WhoDo: The "Start" and the "Menu" ones are great. "Menu" without the circle/just the paw-print most likely I'd say and for "Start" maybe with the circle. But the one with "Launch" is far too crowded. But they're all beautiful and far better than I could've ever done believe me! You've done an outstanding job throughout!

I used to be a Gecko themer (for the K-Meleon Browser) until my shaking hands put an end to it. So had it not been for that I'd be right in here getting my hands dirty with you believe me! Puppy is easier to theme for than some browser thanks to ROX. :)

I'm also with them on the Green Theme idea: It's gorgeous, sleek, "sexy" (if a theme can possibly BE such?), puts one in mind of "That Other System"---without BEING that other system---and therefore says psychologically to the user, "This shouldn't be hard to use at all!" (By the way, coming over from 98se myself that was the first reaction I had looking at Puppy 2.01 with JWM as opposed to other Linux distros which looked VERY intimidating for just starting out as I was!)

And that's it: I think I just hit the nail on the head here. It's the whole psychology of it when I looked at this desktop in 2.14 with the Velvet Green (?) last night. It said, "This is easy. It's not going to be difficult to use." And this is just what someone needs to know, plus that it'll "just work", when coming over from XP because they don't want to upgrade to Vista---or from Vista because they're tired of all the warnings they have to click on just to sit in the chair and look at the screen.

Oops! I'm not known for my brevity once I get going. Sorry... :(

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
(P/s: Thanks Mark for posting the icons! Got them! I'm heading over to 2.14 now to install them---and thanks too WhoDo for ALL of your hard work and dedication! Time for me to SHHH!)
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*