Can I update Flash-Player for FireFox-57?

Using applications, configuring, problems
MrAccident

Can I update Flash-Player for FireFox-57?

#1 Post by MrAccident »

Since FF-57 version - videos on any site - don't play.
In FF help forum - suggested that I'll update it.
If possible - how to do that?
Last edited by MrAccident on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

spiritwild

#2 Post by spiritwild »

This may be wrong, I don't use it much anymore.

I think by default they turn it off / block it now.

go to (about:addons) and see if it's blocking it.

I use this script to update.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100523

I believe they are phasing it out completely and have decided to make your choices for you in their best interest.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, MrAccident.

You can also find a standalone .pet to update Flash Player to the latest version, from OscarTalks', here:-

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/

32-bit:- http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/flashpla ... 7-i386.pet

.....or 64-bit:- http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/flashpla ... x86_64.pet

Oscar always keeps these up-to-date. I used to maintain a whole series of .pets for PepperFlash, but have decided to give that up as a bad job; it was taking a lot of time (especially when Adobe went barmy 2-3 months back, and were updating it every few days), and in recent months hardly anybody was making use of them, so.....

I'm trying to figure out a way of making the modules available, while at the same time automatically putting them in the correct location for each browser.....since, unlike the Mozilla-based browsers, which always look in the same location, every Chromium-based browser looks for them in a different place!

I'm hoping to make use of our Russian colleague SFS's Pepper auto-update script, suitably modified. We'll see how it goes.....

Mike. :wink:

spiritwild

#4 Post by spiritwild »

Awe man. you rock Mike.

I've been using that same script without all the installation stuff. I've always created one for different folders.

yours has this...

cp -u /usr/lib/chromium/PepperFlash/manifest.json /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
cp -u /usr/lib/chromium/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

I never thought of doing it that way.

On another note, when exactly does it become so ridiculous to run a browser in Linux that a persons head just explodes? Someone coming from windows would go insane if not for this forum.

between all the changes, dropped support, wrapper scripts, pulse audio, etc a person could just lose their damn mind.

Unit 32 respond to 321 oakdale, possible homicide.

32 to dispatch, on scene and victim seems to be running Linux Iron or Firefox, may be a self inflicted wound or a GLib 2.12 stress related injury.

Roger 32, medics in route.

Excuse my analogy 8)

spiritwild

#5 Post by spiritwild »

on second thought, maybe the two lines to copy already existed and I deleted them. who knows. now my head is gonna pop off. LOL :shock:

Also, weren't there 2 different directories for iron? I know the deb file location is different than some pets I've installed. usr/share and opt/iron ?

usr/lib/chromium/pepperflash was my default folder
Don't have usr/lib/pepperflash

I must have tweaked this thing to death. Made it much more complicated.

I think I kept with opt/iron but every update I forget where the hell every thing needs to be. I edited the script to my locations at some point

That's part of my insanity as well.

32 in route!!!!
Mine too.

Both of me.

MrAccident

#6 Post by MrAccident »

I don't get notification for replies here, although there's a mark at "Notify me when a reply is posted".

spiritwild - they decided alot for me - in this version; this is why I use Pale Moon as my main browser now. But there's one of only 2 entertainment shows I watch, to keep sanity between work; and it plays choppy in Pale Moon. This is currently the only reason for me to use FireFox.
For Shockwave Flash - it says "ask to activate"; and when I click on "Update Now" - I get to a web-page which says it's blocked "for your protection".
The question is - is this the reason that any video on any site - doesn't play?
...a person could just lose their damn mind
Totally. I spent like a week - on the transition; and of-course - some things just don't work on Pale Moon, and who knows if will. And I still didn't finish all the settings.
I used the script; and I didn't see that it did anything, today when I booted-up the system; maybe because the latest version is installed.

Mike Walsh - I tried to install
flashplayer-27.0.0.187-i386.pet
And the message I got was that it's already installed.
(edit) Then when I wanted to restart the system, for another reason - I saw this dialog - to install it; so I did. But then after the reboot - still in FireFox - videos don't work.

And in FireFox - today the videos still aren't playing.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@spiritwild:-

I run 10 Puppies on this old Compaq Presario desktop.

Every one of those 10 Pups runs Chrome, Chromium, SlimJet and Iron.....and now, FF52esr.

Yet despite all that, I don't run 50 browsers..! Each browser sits on a remote data partition, which has the necessary required directories; /opt/, /root, /usr. They're sym-linked into every Pup where Pup would expect to find them. Ditto for Flash. I run one, single instance of Pepper, and one of Flash. Those, too, are sym-linked into each Pup where every browser expects to find them.

The same goes for each browser's /root/.cache and /root/.config directories.

SFS's Pepper auto-update script lives in the same folder as PepperFlash.....sym-linked into each Pup's /root/Startup, and pointing back to where it lives, and the location of Pepper. Thus, whichever Pup I decide to use for the day, Pepper is checked (and, if necessary, updated) automatically at boot-time. Ditto for Flash, as I use Geoffrey's Flash Auto-updater script for the Mozilla-based browsers, set up in the exact same way.

So, in all, I use a grand total of one each of Chrome, Chromium, SlimJet and Iron.....and a single instance of FireFox. And one each of Pepper, and Flash. Pepper's big advantage is that it's used the same 'plug'n'socket' arrangement ever since it was first employed.....dating all the way back to Chromium 34.

Pup's sym-link function is extremely powerful, and incredibly versatile. It all works rather well..!

--------------------------

Oscar's Iron packages use /usr/. Mine use /opt; it's a handy, catch-all directory where you can put almost anything.....and in the 64-bit Pups, gets around the /lib and /lib64 business nicely. It's where Chrome has always lived; why not the other Chromium-based browsers?

Works for me.

---------------------------------

(This same 'trick' can be used for any 'common' piece of software you wish to use across multiple Pups.....especially if those packages are of considerable size. I also run Thunderbird and TeamViewer like this, to name just a couple. WIRE & Telegram, the Voip AppImages, too. I have davids45 to thank for the concept behind all this; I know he also runs LibreOfiice this way.....and that is one BIG package, all told, even when 'installed' from SFS.

And the beauty is that since these are simply sym-links, they take up no room at all in Pup's save-file/folder. You get the functionality.....without the 'bulk'.)

Mike. :wink: