Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
LateAdopter

Re: Saved file exists but not recognized

#521 Post by LateAdopter »

mavrothal wrote:
morochos wrote:Do you have an idea of what is happening?
Providing some relevant info trigger ideas!
You can try the full report from pup-sysinfo though I think that the bootloader (grub4dos/grub2/LICK/other) options, the output of 'cut /proc/cmdline (just to be sure) and the /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log should give some idea.
Yes, bootinit.log says what happened, Also /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE says what the result was.

The current init script has reused the psubdir= boot parameter for a different purpose from the traditional Woof2 usage. Anything that is not in the specified directory has to be fully specified.

e.g. init will infer the pdev1 partition from pupsfs= but it will not infer the subdirectory. So it won't find the adrv...zdrv even if they are in the same directory as the base SFS, unless psubdir= is defined.

bigpup

#522 Post by bigpup »

666philb wrote:
bigpup wrote:Xenialpup64 7.5
Frugal + save folder.

Did several downloads and installs to make sure was not bad download and install.

Tried this with both of the Quickpet Nvidia drivers.
Same results.

Tried to install the Nvidia drivers offered in Quickpet.
After the download, install, and reboot.
Pup-Sysinfo reports the Nvidia driver is being used.
Something is wrong.

glxgears will not run

nvidia x server settings will not run.
Get this error.
See image attached.

Trying to run nvidia-xconfig just totally breaks it.

Running xorgwizard
Selecting nvidia and correct settings.
Has no affect on solving the problems.
hi bigpup,

that's odd as the 380 driver from quickpet works for me.
have a look at /var/log/messages see if that sheds any light ... here's mine with a working driver
Nov 27 15:01:17 puppypc29681 user.warn kernel: nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
Nov 27 15:01:17 puppypc29681 user.warn kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
Nov 27 15:01:17 puppypc29681 user.warn kernel: Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
Nov 27 15:01:17 puppypc29681 user.notice kernel: nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
Nov 27 15:01:17 puppypc29681 user.info kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 243
Nov 27 15:01:17 puppypc29681 user.info kernel: vgaarb: device changed decodes: PCI:0000:01:00.0,olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=io+mem
Nov 27 15:01:17 puppypc29681 user.warn kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 384.98 Thu Oct 26 15:16:01 PDT 2017 (using threaded interrupts)
Nov 27 15:01:17 puppypc29681 user.info kernel: [drm] Initialized
Nov 27 15:01:17 puppypc29681 user.info kernel: nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms 384.98 Thu Oct 26 14:41:13 PDT 2017
Nov 27 15:01:17 puppypc29681 user.info kernel: [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Loading driver
Nov 27 15:01:17 puppypc29681 user.info kernel: nvidia-modeset: Allocated GPU:0 (GPU-fe88fbd9-5a3b-a28e-28fd-66538fa25ce3) @ PCI:0000:01:00.0
The /var/log/messages looks like yours.
So, it does seem the driver got loaded and used.
Just had issues with glxgears and nvidia X server settings.

I am going to call this just my bad luck and see if anyone else has similar problems.

I got it all working by doing the Getnvida and Nvidia driver run package install.

This is all on a USB hard drive.
So, the hard drive could be having issues.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#523 Post by bigpup »

666philb,

Give Puppy some love and report your fine work on Distrowatch.
That Puppy Distrowatch page needs some love by you developers of Puppy versions.
https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=submit

01micko is not going to do it. :roll:

The Linux world needs to hear about this very, very, good, new Puppy version!!!!!
YaPI(any iso installer)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#524 Post by BarryK »

666philb,
Yes, this looks good, if others agree, why not make it the latest official puppy at distrowatch?

If you want to tackle that wifi reconnect problem first, probably a good idea. I was also having that problem with sns in Quirky, fiddled with some 'sleep', mostly fixed it -- mostly, because there is still one report not reconnecting in Pyro64 0.6. My sns is a bit different from rerwin's, so rerwin will have to tackle it.

I can announce it on my blog, as the guys at distrowatch still look there, and expect me to tell them when a new official pup is released.

You would need to create an announcement page somewhere, with a summary blurb, that they can cut parts out for the distrowatch announcement.

Then, also need release notes, on same page or separate. The guys at distrowatch are fussy about that, want both a general announcement plus release notes.

Contact me via here, when it is ready to go:

http://bkhome.org/contact/

Regarding 01micko, he is tied up with real-life, full-time job and personal responsibilities.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Sailor Enceladus

#525 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

For what it's worth, Palemoon has just updated to 27.6.2 too, and that annoying flickering bug with the spinning icon that was introduced in 27.6 has been fixed (I tested it in Walter Dnes build here to make sure). :)
Pale Moon: Release notes 27.6.2 - 2017-11-28 wrote:Fixed the Linux load throbber image to be properly encoded, to prevent flickering.

James C

#526 Post by James C »

bigpup wrote:Xenialpup64 7.5
Frugal + save folder.

Did several downloads and installs to make sure was not bad download and install.

Tried this with both of the Quickpet Nvidia drivers.
Same results.

Tried to install the Nvidia drivers offered in Quickpet.
After the download, install, and reboot.
Pup-Sysinfo reports the Nvidia driver is being used.
Something is wrong.

glxgears will not run

nvidia x server settings will not run.
Get this error.
See image attached.

Trying to run nvidia-xconfig just totally breaks it.

Running xorgwizard
Selecting nvidia and correct settings.
Has no affect on solving the problems.

On my first frugal install I basically experienced the same with the 340.xxx driver from Quickpet.
Running "nvidia-xconfig" totally froze the computer leading to a hard reboot.And I did doublecheck on the Nvidia site to cofirm the correct driver.Deleted the savefolder and here we are.

Second try using nouveau is all good so far.All basics working correctly on initial boot,installed several things with no problems.

Other than the Nvidia driver everything looks really solid.

Code: Select all

root# inxi -Fxx
System:    Host: puppypc3914 Kernel: 4.9.58 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 dm: N/A Distro: xenialpup64 7.5
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx serial: 150545593600028
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2601 date: 03/24/2015
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 42144
           clock speeds: min/max: 1400/3500 MHz 1: 2000 MHz 2: 1400 MHz
           3: 2000 MHz 4: 1400 MHz 5: 2000 MHz 6: 1400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0a65
           Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 80x26 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0be3
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1002:4383
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.58
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000
           bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
           mac: 1c:87:2c:5a:bb:e2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1120.2GB (6.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB serial: N/A
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB serial: N/A
Partition: ID-1: swap-1 size: 8.60GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb5
RAID:      System: supported: linear raid0 raid1 raid10 raid6 raid5 raid4
           No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
           Unused Devices: none
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 190 Uptime: 1:22 Memory: 321.6/15950.6MB
           Init: SysVinit v: N/A runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421 running in urxvt) inxi: 2.3.8 

root# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:      16333424      1394424     14939000       328984        86760
-/+ buffers:            1307664     15025760
Swap:      8396796            0      8396796
root# 
Attachments
Xenialpup64 7.5.jpg
(99.82 KiB) Downloaded 1917 times

rerwin

#527 Post by rerwin »

foxpup wrote:I don't have automatic wifi connection at startup. I try to set this up with sns. To solve this, I link rc.network in Startup. Another possibility would be to make a hotkey for rc.network in jwm, which gives me the choice of connecting or not.
666philb wrote:yes there seems to be a problem with sns & frisbee failing to automatically connect,. network wizard is working fine though.
i've pm'd rerwin and asked him to take a look.

[PM] there seems to be a problem with frisbee in the latest xenialpup release.
everything sets up ok and it connects to wifi, but after reboot it fails to connect automatically.
Thanks for the message log. I see that both an eth0 and wlan0 interfaces are available but eth0 probably not physically connected. The wifi driver is brcmsmac, of which I have no experience.

I have a 64-bit PC with both an eth0 and wlan0 connection to my router. With the ethernet cable unplugged from the network, the fresh bootup shows no network connections. If I set up frisbee to connect with wlan0, that works. If I then reboot (and save) the wireless network (wlan0) is connected. So, I cannot reproduce the problem. Maybe there is something peculiar about the brcmsmac driver. If anyone else has this problem, please send me the /var/log/messages file or a pdiag file -- or at least tell me what driver you use for wifi when you see the problem. Maybe we can see a pattern.

I also tested with the ethernet cable connected to the router's network. With either SNS or frisbee, the initial active interface is eth0, as expected when no network manager has been selected. I then set up a wifi connection with SNS or frisbee (in separate test pupsaves) successfully. Upon reboot, both interfaces appear to be active (although shown as BOUND in the frisbee case, but not sure, right now, about SNS) on different IP addresses, but wlan0 ends up as the chosen interface. My drivers are forcedeth and b43.
belham2 wrote:I've had horrible problems in the past (across Xenials, Slackos and others) where network profiles wouldn't be properly saved, and thus wouldn't start up, or SNS would conflict with Network Wizard, etc, etc.
My recent updates to the connectwizard and related scripts address the conflicts among the three network managers after a user changes managers. The old manager was not totally stopped and cleaned up before the new manager started. Connectwizard now remembers the currently selected manager, so causes the old manager to disconnect and stop. But the issue of profiles not being saved correctly is a new one, to me. I would like to investigate those bad-profile cases with you, although it may take some time.

belham2

#528 Post by belham2 »

Hi Phil,

Been using Xenial64 quite awhile (previous versions and up thru the latest), and really like it. Only one thing, a problem---that I mentioned to you this past summer---has crept up again with 7.5: when logging out or rather 'shutting down', and the option comes up to "Save" or "NoSave"....... everything is frozen again & I can't even make a choice. I'm forced to hard shutdown the computer, losing what I had wanted to "Save".

Interestingly, whatever is happening, it happens intermitently. Sometimes, like 60-70% of time, shutdown & the pop up screen to save or not save works fine. Other times, like when Xenial64 has seen extensive use & such, this is when this bug pops up.

I'm at a total loss how to fix this. I've resorted to manually clicking the "Desktop" Savefile button if I definitely want to save something---but of course I forget to do this a few times and thus lost everything I did because at shutdown the screen popup for saving & not-saving became non-functional. Again, I detailed this very exact same behavior some months back, and I've not had any other pup and/or ddog display anything like it, on any of the 4 machines (2 computers and 2 laptops) I regularly use. Sometimes it appears, sometimes it does not. There is no regularity to it that I can tell, no specific behavior which sets it off (nothing works when it happens. It is almost like that dreaded freeze bug is back across the Xenial/Ubuntu pups & no one knows why it is appearing---Sailor E even posted about a week or two ago).

P.S. Please know I've tried repeated "fresh" frugal installs, and re-downloaded/verified ISOs) to correct this behavior.......doesn't matter, this weird shutdown behavior happens across all 4 machines and different 'frugal' installed USB thumbdrives.

Below is my frugal menu.lst entry and a pic of PupEvenMgr to show everything is set up correctly for a frugal install. Xenial64 7.5 runs great----except for this no rhyme and/or reason of psycho intermittent shutdown behavior with Saving and/or Not Saving freezing & causing me to hard power off the machine & lose everything that I had wanted to "Save" (not to mention the 'hard shutoff' can't be good for the thumbdrives--weird thing is they all have other 'frugal' installed pups on them, and none display this behavior except XenialPup64).

title XenialPUP-7.5
  uuid #######-####-####-########
  find --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /XenialPUP64-7.5/puppy_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs
  kernel /XenialPUP64-7.5 vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash psubdir=XenialPUP64-7.5 pfix=fsck
  initrd /XenialPUP64-7.5/initrd.gz
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(36.79 KiB) Downloaded 1543 times

mfb

#529 Post by mfb »

belham2,

Is "pupsaveconfig-2.2.6" in your PPM? If so, install it, make your choice from its drop-down-list; then try it.

Cheers

belham2

#530 Post by belham2 »

mfb wrote:belham2,

Is "pupsaveconfig-2.2.6" in your PPM? If so, install it, make your choice from its drop-down-list; then try it.

Cheers

Hi mfb,

Had already went this route and still the problem occurs. Not sure what is going on since this problem has a mind of its own and shows no pattern and/or repetition leading up to the moment it decides it is not going to work when one shutsdown and is faced with a total screen freeze----not even ctl-alt-delete and/or the 60 sec countdown gets you out of the mess. Only thing one can do is a "hard shutdown", which is terrible.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(141.01 KiB) Downloaded 1479 times

foxpup

#531 Post by foxpup »

rerwin wrote:
666philb wrote:[PM] there seems to be a problem with frisbee in the latest xenialpup release.
everything sets up ok and it connects to wifi, but after reboot it fails to connect automatically.
... If anyone else has this problem, please send me the /var/log/messages file or a pdiag file -- or at least tell me what driver you use for wifi when you see the problem. Maybe we can see a pattern.
I tried jemimah's frisbee and it works and gives automatic startup on next boots! So I can replace SNS with frisbee.
I PM my messages files for SNS anyway.

rek769

#532 Post by rek769 »

morochos wrote:I installed xenial 64 puppy 7.5 today, tested in 3 computers. Everything is fine in 2 of them, wonderful version. However, in one PC, the saved file is made without problems, but after reboot, the system begins as if no saved file was present, and it is in the HDD.
The PC have 2 partitions, one for Windows 10 and one for ext4. I have tested with the Windows partition and with the ext4 partition, the same problem in both.
Previously, I worked with Precise puppy without issues to report.
Do you have an idea of what is happening? How can I solve this?
Thanks
When booting from CD, I keep my savefile inside a directory on my hard drive (1 level deep). This method has worked well for me since the Lucid days. However, I've found that when booting from the CD with XP64 that my savefile is not automatically discovered.

In order to force it to find my save file I had to add this to the isolinux.cfg file, remaster, and then re-burn the CD: psubdir=xenial_64
(where xenial_64 is the name of the subdirectory on my hard drive that contains my savefile.)

Hope that helps...

Billtoo

Xenialpup64 CE 7.5

#533 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to the hard drive of my Compaq-Presario desktop:

root# inxi -bw
System: Host: puppypc5689 Kernel: 4.9.66-x86_64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 Distro: xenialpup64 7.5
Machine: System: Compaq-Presario product: AU194AA-A2L CQ5123F serial: MXX9300M0F
Mobo: MSI model: Boston v: 1.0 Bios: Phoenix v: 5.24 date: 06/19/2009
CPU: Dual core Pentium E5200 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1600/2500 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 153x26 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (7.6% used)
Weather: Conditions: 30 F (-1 C) - freezing fog Time: December 4, 5:38 AM EST
Info: Processes: 154 Uptime: 12 min Memory: 189.6/3941.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
root#

It's working well,
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(87.54 KiB) Downloaded 1248 times

rockedge

#534 Post by rockedge »

morochos wrote:I installed xenial 64 puppy 7.5 today, tested in 3 computers. Everything is fine in 2 of them, wonderful version. However, in one PC, the saved file is made without problems, but after reboot, the system begins as if no saved file was present, and it is in the HDD.
The PC have 2 partitions, one for Windows 10 and one for ext4. I have tested with the Windows partition and with the ext4 partition, the same problem in both.
Previously, I worked with Precise puppy without issues to report.
Do you have an idea of what is happening? How can I solve this?
Thanks
I think some small modifications to the menu.lst created by GRUB4DOS will be needed. Look in the entries in menu.lst to make sure the paths are correct to point to the save file/folder location!
Good luck.... some of these guys are too into their stuff to acknowledge some questions it seems....I get ignored all the time and seek answers and knowledge from pieces of info these guys leave around.

bigpup

#535 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup announcement on DistroWatch.
https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10053
Congratulations to 666philb (the developer) and the Puppy community members, who helped to make this a excellent new official version of Puppy!

Puppy has one of the highest review ratings at DistrWatch!
Reader supplied reviews for Puppy Linux

Average rating
The DistroWatch #1 (Page Hit Ranking) Linux Mint
Reader supplied reviews for Linux Mint

Average rating
Eat it Linux Mint!
We are Puppy.
Resistance is futile!
YaPI(any iso installer)

musher0

#536 Post by musher0 »

Way to go, 666philb! Bravo! :D

Maybe LimboMusic could prepare a long applause mp3 for the occasion???!!! ;)

No, not an applause mp3; only an ovation mp3 will do!!!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

bigpup

#537 Post by bigpup »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ

I am not sure what the song is about, but the dance seemed to be a good celebration of something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY8oryof0bU
YaPI(any iso installer)

musher0

#538 Post by musher0 »

Songs and dances from India to celebrate Puppy and phil's talent are indeed fine,
but I meant something more like this: :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FLgShtdxQ8
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Billtoo

Xenialpup64 CE 7.5

#539 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 32gb SDHC card to use on my HP desktop:

root# inxi -bw
System: Host: puppypc18279 Kernel: 4.9.67-x86_64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 Distro: xenialpup64 7.5
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HPE-410f serial: MXX0370KF3
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB1 v: 1.00 Bios: American Megatrends v: 6.02 date: 07/21/2010
CPU: Hexa core AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (-MCP-) speed/max: 800/2700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 152x27 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1032.1GB (1.0% used)
Weather: Conditions: 37 F (3 C) - Overcast Time: December 6, 9:53 PM EST
Info: Processes: 201 Uptime: 2:15 Memory: 281.3/7984.1MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
root#

It's working well,
Thanks.

bigpup

#540 Post by bigpup »

Just some information, it may or may not apply to Xenialpup.

This is from the Fatdog64-720 topic.
glxgears worked fine but OpenGl 2.1 is apparently not available.

When I tried to launch newest blender app I got in terminal

# ./blender
AL lib: (EE) UpdateDeviceParams: Failed to set 44100hz, got 48000hz instead
Error! Blender requires OpenGL 2.1 to run. Try updating your drivers.
# 
I am using intel graphics chip in my IBM thinkcentre
Answer:
That is due to Mesa update.

In their great wisdom and because you're not Chrome, Intel guys decided to drop OpenGL 2.1 from their "lesser" graphics card.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... nGL-2-Drop
And
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ow-Default

But all is not lost, at least for now. You can still force it to emulate OpenGL 2.1 with the following tricks:
ArchWki wrote:OpenGL 2.1 with i915 driver

The update of mesa from version 13.x to 17 may break support for OpenGL 2.1 on third gen Intel GPUs (GMA3100, see here), as described in this article, reverting it back to OpenGL 1.4. However this could be restored manually by setting /etc/drirc or ~/.drirc options like :

/etc/drirc

<driconf>
<device driver="i915">
<application name="Default">
<option name="stub_occlusion_query" value="true" />
<option name="fragment_shader" value="true" />
</application>
</device>
</driconf>
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... 915_driver
YaPI(any iso installer)