VirtualBox Guest Additions & Puppy 4.1

Using applications, configuring, problems
chiefwhosm

VirtualBox Guest Additions & Puppy 4.1

#1 Post by chiefwhosm »

Hi,
I wondered if anyone here could help troubleshoot this with me. Now I've made a little puppy install on virtualbox 2.0.2.

I got Xorg to work under it, so while everything was going well (and having backed up my virtual machine :wink: ) I decided to run the Guest Additions installer (having provided kernel-headers and compile tools for GA to actually run).

Now the errors I get when its running the shell script are:

Installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions...

chown: unknown user/group vboxadd:1
Could not set up the X Window VBoxClient service.
To start the VBoxClient service at log-in for a given user,
add the command 98vboxadd-xclient to the file .xinitrc in their home directory.
Successfully installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions.
You must restart your guest system in order to complete the installation.

All fine I figured, so I opened up /root/.xinitrc and added the line mentioned above to the top of the script (after the first #bin comments) saved the file and then did the reboot.

During reboot I notice that the following message displays:

Loading kernel modules...udevd[908]: lookup_user: specified user 'vboxadd' unknown

and then a few seconds later X fails to start and dumps me at console. The only way to return to X is to use nano to edit the xorg.conf, and comment out the Driver = "vboxvideo" line and change it to use good old vesa, then run startx to get back into gui.

I did find on the internet someone suggested instead of 98vboxadd...etc that you just add VBoxClient to the .xinitrc, but it sadly made no difference.

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas, I'm rather a novice with linux when all is said and done and i'm pretty amazed at having gotten this far :lol:

I understand it may be a VB issue, but maybe someones had more experience with this than I have. Havn't found anything through google that seems to even relate to this particular problem.

Thanks,
Chief.

friednoodle

adduser error

#2 Post by friednoodle »

Hi,
I am not certain, but I think that all you have to do is run the adduser
command to keep VirtualBox happy. Just supply vboxadd as user name and do not give a password.
Sorry about empty post above, I bumped the return key, need to clean
this confusion I call my computer room. Hope this helps.

chiefwhosm

#3 Post by chiefwhosm »

Thanks for that, it removed the error. However vboxvideo still stopped X from loading.

I've put a post on the virtualbox forum to see if they can help me out since it's looking more likely to be a VB issue.

Chief:)

DC

#4 Post by DC »

I have a memory of Virtualbox that it does not like Xorg but is happy with Xveas.
Does guest additions load a different display driver like vmware tools does?

DC

s243a

Re: adduser error

#5 Post by s243a »

friednoodle wrote:Hi,
I am not certain, but I think that all you have to do is run the adduser
command to keep VirtualBox happy. Just supply vboxadd as user name and do not give a password.
Sorry about empty post above, I bumped the return key, need to clean
this confusion I call my computer room. Hope this helps.
What group should I assign to virtualbox and also the user called "input" . Virtualbox is working for me in tahrpup 6.0.6 but there are some usability issues compared to fatdog64.