Unable to get wireless work eeePC 1005HA (Solved)

sheldonisaac

#21 Post by sheldonisaac »

666philb (in part) wrote:unfortunately the atheros drivers are missing from the 32bit build of xenialpup, so i've now uploaded a .pet of the missing drivers to the repository.
666philb, you're a major good guy!
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

jimcraven

#22 Post by jimcraven »

666philb,

The .pet file did the trick. My wireless adapter was recognized and I was able to establish a wireless connection.

Thank you very much,
jimcraven

jimcraven

#23 Post by jimcraven »

sheldonisaac,

I decided to try your configuration: xenial 7.0.6 by musher0, the 32 bit one. I found it in this topic.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1&t=111879
Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
xenialPup-7.0.6 32-bits with kernel 4.1

The ISO was here:
http://augras.eu/puppy_linux/musher0/xe ... -7.0.6.iso

When it did not recognize my wireless adapter I investigated and saw that it had a directory named /lib/modules/4.1.30, not /lib/modules/4.1.2-EmSee-32-pae/ as was in your earlier post. Further reading in the topic revealed this comment:

For those of you who have an old box with 4 Gb's of RAM or more, here
is a 4.1.2 PAE kernel and zdrv: ALTxenialPup706-PAEkrnl+zdrv.zip
http://augras.eu/puppy_linux/?dir=mushe ... AutreNoyau

ALTxenialPup706-PAEkrnl+zdrv.zip contains:
zdrv_xenial_7.0.6.sfs
vmlinuz

I used these as replacements in the original xenial-7.0.6.iso and saw the /lib/modules/4.1.2-EmSee-32-pae/ directory. I had found your configuration. This setup was able to identify my AR9285 wireless adapter and establish a connection.

This one has an interesting desktop - black background and neon icons. I could not see text labels under the icons because the icon text is the same color as the background (black). Changing to a lighter background revealed the icon labels.

So, thanks for the information. Your configuration does work with my wireless adapter. Also, 666philb provided a .pet with the missing ath9k driver and it works fine.

Thanks,
jimcraven

otdrne

#24 Post by otdrne »

I had the exact same problem and after installing the pet provided by 666philb and restarting it was resolved. So I don't have much to add to the discussion but wanted to thank jimcraven for opening the thread and 666philb for the solution :D

DuMar

#25 Post by DuMar »

The pet worked fine for me too. Thnx 666philb

ProgRob

#26 Post by ProgRob »

And another thank you - the pet fixed things for me on a very old Sony Vaio

Subito Piano

#27 Post by Subito Piano »

Add my kudos. Trying to set up an old Toshiba A135 for a friend, I found no wireless recognition for its Qualcomm Ath5K. Installed the pet, rebooted, and wireless recognized. Thanks for the fix and a fantastic puppy. :D
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)

Walt

Did you ever manage to get Atheros AR9285 to work?

#28 Post by Walt »

I have been reading this forum and other resources on the 'net, as I have this same wireless hardware in an Acer Netbook, and although lspci shows the interface, the module is apparently missing from the kernel as it was omitted at build time, if I understand the crux of the issue correctly. Since this thread is marked "Solved", I would conclude that you found a solution, but I am struggling to understand what it is. Any details most appreciated. Thanks!!! Walt

EDIT: Well phooey after I posted this, I noticed that THERE WAS A SECOND PAGE that I had not read... will try the .pet file... sorry for the white noise...

OK, I downloaded the pet file and installed it, and the wireless network is now up and running!!! THANKS SO MUCH TO YOU jimcraven AND 666philb FOR ALL OF THE SLEUTHING AND MAKING THE pet FILE EASILY AVAILABLE! I was afraid that I wasn't going to get the wireless problem resolved, which would have made the use of this netbook impossible... but Pupply is about the only distro that will run reasonable quickly on this older and less powerful hardware... so I am THRILLED to find your resolution!!! MANY THANKS AGAIN!!!

RonInRaleigh

#29 Post by RonInRaleigh »

I am having the same problem. I saw the suggestion by 666philb. I downloaded the .pet file (and all other files in the directory). I did a clean install of Puppy xenial 7.5 to a hard drive. I restarted the computer. The computer restarted off the hard drive and everything was clean. I then clicked on the .pet file. It asked to install. I said OK. It installed and said it did so cleanly. I rebooted. The WNA1100 is not found.

I looked in /lib/modules/4.4.95/kernel/drivers/net/wireless. I have a subdirectory for ath. Under this is an ath.ko file and directories for ath9k, ath5k, and ath10k with various .ko files in each. So this part seems to have installed.

If I issue lsusb, I see the WNA1100 lists with id 0846:9030 so the OS is seeing the device.

If I open network configuration, I see my Ethernet device but no wireless device. If I try to load the driver and look at the list of modules, athxx is not listed.

I have also tried Puppy tahr. It sees the device fine and if I look in the module load list, I see entries for athxx devices.

This is very confusing since there seem to be about a half dozen people who said the .pet file worked fine for them. It is almost as if I missed something in the install.

Thanks,
Ron

perdido

#30 Post by perdido »

RonInRaleigh wrote:I am having the same problem. I saw the suggestion by 666philb. I downloaded the .pet file (and all other files in the directory). I did a clean install of Puppy xenial 7.5 to a hard drive. I restarted the computer. The computer restarted off the hard drive and everything was clean. I then clicked on the .pet file. It asked to install. I said OK. It installed and said it did so cleanly. I rebooted. The WNA1100 is not found.

I looked in /lib/modules/4.4.95/kernel/drivers/net/wireless. I have a subdirectory for ath. Under this is an ath.ko file and directories for ath9k, ath5k, and ath10k with various .ko files in each. So this part seems to have installed.

If I issue lsusb, I see the WNA1100 lists with id 0846:9030 so the OS is seeing the device.

If I open network configuration, I see my Ethernet device but no wireless device. If I try to load the driver and look at the list of modules, athxx is not listed.

I have also tried Puppy tahr. It sees the device fine and if I look in the module load list, I see entries for athxx devices.

This is very confusing since there seem to be about a half dozen people who said the .pet file worked fine for them. It is almost as if I missed something in the install.

Thanks,
Ron
You don't mention which version of xenial 7.5, - 32-bit or 64-bit.
The instructions in this thread are for 32-bit xenial.

bigpup

#31 Post by bigpup »

RonInRaleigh,

If you are actually using Xenialpup 7.5 and not Xenialpup64 7.5

This is the pet you need to install.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... nial32.pet
I did a clean install of Puppy xenial 7.5 to a hard drive.
I will assume this is a frugal install of Xenialpup 7.5
If yes.
You need to shutdown and make a save.
Reboot using the save.
Download the pet package and install it by left clicking on the pet.
Reboot so the pet install is saved in the save.
It should now work.

This is my wNA1100 in Xenialpup 7.5 after installing the pet package.
It uses the ath9k_htc driver.

Look in Pup-Sysinfo>Devices>USB Devices>Summary
See if the describtion looks similar to this:
VendorID=0846 ProductID=9030 Rev=01.08
Manufacturer=NETGEAR WNA
Product=WNA1100
SerialNumber=12345
Driver=ath9k_htc
Attachments
capture13297.png
(26.32 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

RonInRaleigh

#32 Post by RonInRaleigh »

This is the 32-bit version.

I did a lot more testing given that so many people were successful with the patch. The problem was in my installation. Yes, I did install the .pet file and it installed successfully. However, I did not understand that I also needed to run "Xenialpup updates" under the Setup menu. Once I did this and rebooted, the adapter was recognized and showed up as wlan0 in the in the Internet Configuration Wizard. I configured it and got onto the network.

So my WNA1100 is working fine. The 666philb fix does work, but it requires the additional step mentioned above. I guess I am just too new to Puppy Linux and did not understand the fine points of updating.

Oh, the ath9k module still does not show up in the list of loadable network modules, but I guess this does not matter since the adapter is working.

Subito Piano

#33 Post by Subito Piano »

RonInRaleigh -- kudos! I LOVE it when people take the time to understand things rather than quickly say "it doesn't work!" and go elsewhere. It may not be for EVERYbody, but there is a LOT to like about Puppy and I hope you find that it meets your needs/interests. :D
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D

bigpup

#34 Post by bigpup »

Good to see you got it working. :!: :D

I do not ever remember needing to do the Xenialpup updates to get mine working, but I always run that Update after a fresh install of Xenialpup.

The developer of Xenialpup finds things he forgot to put into Xenialpup or bugs are found after the iso was made.
So, the Xenialpup updates is a easy way to put the fixes in.

We keep telling him he needs to rebuild the Xenialpup 7.5 iso so all this stuff is now in the iso.
Especially this bunch of missing drivers and firmware.

Puppy releases, never really get all the bugs worked out, until people start using it and reporting things they find to fix.
YaPI(any iso installer)

RonInRaleigh

#35 Post by RonInRaleigh »

I thought I would make one final post about my experience. As I said, the athxx xxx.ko modules were in the /lib directory after installing the .pet file, but those were the only changes in the /lib directory.

After I did the "Xenialpup updates", the following three "text" files in the /lib/modules/4.4.95 directory were updated: modules.alias, modules.dep, and modules.symbols. Their three corresponding .bin files were also updated. I think the most important update was to the .alias file since it has the hardware IDs of the adapter in it and (I assume) allowed the system to map the hardware ID to the supporting driver module.

I am new to Puppy Linux, but I have to say I am pretty impressed with it.

Ron

poiu1234

#36 Post by poiu1234 »

I need it. But link for file .pet is down.
Can you ractivate it?
Tanks

Subito Piano

#37 Post by Subito Piano »

Found it on the Internet Archive
Last edited by Subito Piano on Mon 06 Apr 2020, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#38 Post by bigpup »

Try just doing the Quickpet->Info->Xenialpup updates
Reboot so changes and fixes are now being used.
I think the missing atheros stuff is now in one of the updates.
YaPI(any iso installer)

poiu1234

#39 Post by poiu1234 »

Thanks. I found it in the archive. There is no fix. Now wifi is ok.