Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 22 Mar 2018, 14:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Eko 5.3.3 - simple sound editor
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec 2017, 08:55    Post subject:  Eko 5.3.3 - simple sound editor
Subject description: AppImage-based audio editor that's extremely easy to use...

Morning, all.

I keep poking around in different places, and unearthing various useful apps & utilities packaged as AppImages.

Now, OK; they're no more perfect than any other package format out there.....but when they do work, they're very, very simple to use. It's because of this that they're becoming one of my favourite formats.

I came across another one on Sourceforge last night. It's called Eko, and is a simple, easy-to-use sound editor. Along the same lines as what Audacity does, but not as complex.....and, unlike Audacity (which I can never get to work properly with my sound chip), this one simply hooks up via ALSA. It works immediately.

It's only available as a 64-bit application, I'm afraid, but it does fire up and run immediately, without hassle, in Tahr64. Which is a good indication that it should work fine with the later 64-bit Puppies.

I've done what I usually do with these; packaged it as an SFS, along with a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications, so you can start it from the Menu. I just think this is a tidier way of doing things, that's all.

If you're interested, you can find it here, at my MediaFire a/c:-

The layout makes use of a tabbed interface (tabs down the side).....and one of those tabs is the user manual, so it's all there at your fingertips. It seems to work fine with .mp3, .wma, and also .ogg files. The mixer is very straight-forward; I particularly like how smooth the rotary volume is. Many of these can be quite 'jerky'; not this one.

You open your music file, and the editor displays the track at full-length. Click on the display at any point, hit the 'Play' button, and the track will run from that point. I haven't tried all the available functions, but it seems fairly competent.

It's also quite customizable; various built-in themes & 'palettes', with which you can make it match your colour schemes! And the mixer section has a fair number of built-in effects, too.....most of which appear to work very nicely.

As I said earlier, it's not as complex as Audacity.....which for some people may be better. It certainly is for me; I like this one. You be the judge.

Mike. Wink

If I've helped you.....please say 'Thanks'!

Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: