Xenial Pup unable to log in to school wifi network

Booting, installing, newbie
pepz

Xenial Pup unable to log in to school wifi network

#1 Post by pepz »

Hi so i just got xenial pup on my laptop and im trying to set up wifi but when i goto the usual steps it doesnt show my wifi card? It shows ethernet but that doesnt work anyways. I want wifi and its not there

I tried looking at tutorials but most of them are for virtual boxes and mine isnt so what do i do?

I went to "load module" except there was no such button. It just doesnt show it :cry:

So help please, how do i get wifi set up? laptop is a Acer Aspire one A0751h

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

hi pepz,

welcome to the puppy forums!

Is this the 32bit version of xenialpup?
if so some wireless drivers are missing from the build and you can grab them here http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... nial32.pet

download and left click to install, then try connecting to wifi. if still no luck try rebooting.

Note don't install the above if you are using the 64bit xenialpup64.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

pepz

#3 Post by pepz »

Hi yes this is the 32 bit

pepz

#4 Post by pepz »

How do i install them onto the laptop/? do i need internet

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pepz,

Just use the operating system you posted from to download the pet into a location where you can find it. USB-Keys come in handy. [Networking is great, but not so much when you need something to setup the network]. Then boot into Xenialpup and Left-click the pet.

FYI: I have a folder on /mnt/home into which I store pets I think may come in handy later. Within that folder are other folders (version specific and/or category specific) just to keep things organized. Occasionally add a note containing info/instructions.

mikesLr

pepz

#6 Post by pepz »

Hi it works but im on a school network so when i goto browser and it tries redirecting me to the login page i get an error,

"SSL peer selected a cipher suite disallowed for the selected protocol version."

ally

#7 Post by ally »

pepz

#8 Post by pepz »

No like im connected to wifi but you know when you connect to school wifi and goto browser and it redirects you to a login page? its not letting me, do i need to download and install whatever thing you sent?

ally

#9 Post by ally »

pm me your email address and I'll send it you

:)

mikeslr

#10 Post by mikeslr »

Ok,

So you have wifi, but you can't connect to your school's network: Is that correct?

What browser are you using? Be specific regarding the browser's version number?

Also might pay to specifically ask someone in the schools administration exactly what is needed to login. Run into that problem all the time while traveling > written instructions by those who know what they are doing but don't know how to communicate. :( :roll:

mikesLr

pepz

#11 Post by pepz »

Hey this is the same thing that was here earlier, i already installed the module which made the wifi connect but now i get an error in my web browser that says

"SSL peer selected a cipher suite disallowed for the selected protocol version."
(Error code: ssl_error_cipher_disallowed_for_version)

pepz

#12 Post by pepz »

Im using the default pale moon in it.
You are correct i have wifi but cant connect to the network. The thing is, when you open a browser on any free wifi they usually want you to login right? So you search something up and the browser redirects you to their login page, except when this browser goes to redirect you, instead i get the error mentioned where its not allowing it to redirect.[/u]

rerwin

#13 Post by rerwin »

pepz,
Have you ever logged into your school network with any Puppy Linux? If so, how?

Which network manager are you using -- SNS, frisbee or Network wizard?

Frisbee, contains logic to get access to school networks that require a logon. In frisbee, click "Manage Saved Networks", then highlight the entry for your school's wifi. There is a field labeled "Identity"; enter your logon ID and (if necessary) your password. Click "Save Profile" and wait for a confirmation window to pop up. If it doesn't automatically connect, try connecting on the main frisbee window.

I am not able to test that myself, so rely on your feedback as to whether it works.
Richard