How do I install sfs stored in a different partition than sa

Using applications, configuring, problems
wert

How do I install sfs stored in a different partition than sa

#1 Post by wert »

I have tried installing the LibreOffice-4 sfs but when x is restarted, it gets out again thus having me reinstalling. It's crucial software since the stock abiword I will never ever use again. It has destroyed many of my important documents for good leaving me stranded.
I need to install the sfs file that way because my hard drive is only having 1 partition with free space. My save file has occupied major space of the partition it is stored in together with other sfs so it doesn't have room there.
Or is there an altervative to abiword that works with ODF documents and is foolproof?

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi wert.

My sympathies about your lost documents.

With a pet archive of LibreOffice or OpenOffice, -- not with a sfs -- It is possible
to have a symlink from /opt/openoffice or /opt/libreoffice to another drive, but the
problem remains: how much space do you have?

Another thing to consider is you may have enough room on /mnt/home or /mnt/sda1
for your LibreOffice sfs, but if you are running your Puppy with a pupsave, the
pupsave may be too small to host the user part of LO, which is typically stored at
/root/.config/libreoffice. Now this directory too can be symlinked to an outside drive
without penalty.

But to help you better, we definitely need to know:
-- which Puppy you are running?
-- the specs of your machine, in particular how many drives you have and the room
you still have on each.

TIA.

As to your question about an alternative to LO, I know of two:
-- good old OpenOffice, now at version 4.14, IIRC,
and
-- Soft-Maker. As it happens, I received yesterday an invitation to beta-test
Soft-Maker Office 2018 for Linux. Maybe you could register on their site and
volunteer as a beta tester for this new suite?
The Soft-Maker Office Suite is very good, it has a reputation for rendering docx
documents extremely well, BUT it is not open-source and it is not free.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

musher0 makes a good point.
Need to make sure LibreOffice is saving to a location that has some free space and enough of it.

Try this:
Open /mnt/home in Rox file manager.

Click on the desktop icon for the partition LibreOffice sfs is on.

Now you have two Rox windows open.

Left click on the LibreOffice sfs and drag it to the /mnt/home window and release.
A menu will pop up with some choices.
Select link (absolute)
This will place a link to the LibreOffice sfs in /mnt/home

Run sfs-load-on-the-fly program
The LibreOffice sfs should now be listed in the list of sfs to select from to load.
Load it.

For this to work all the time you need to make the partition the LibreOffice sfs is on mounted all the time.

In Pmount program the option to mount at boot can be selected for each listed partition.
Click on down arrow in partition name to see options.
So, select this partition and choose to have it mount on boot.

On bootup.
Not too sure if it mounts the partition before it tries to load the sfs.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi wert,

Maybe startmount will help: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 699#377699

Edit: Thanks bigpup. Forgot how the pmount application worked. Knowing that makes the above unnecessary.

Add WPS Office to musher0's list.

But I'd strongly suggest Softmaker Office. http://www.freeoffice.com/en/download. I've read it is the most compatible with documents produced under Microsoft Office Suite. But, like WPS, it only has a Wordprocessing, Spreadsheet and a Presentation application. IIRC, my last version's install program was only 75MBs (figure 225 Mbs diskspace). They usually have a free version, it being the last one before their current version. To use Softmaker Office you have to register in order to receive a key. They don't abuse that registration. From time to time they'll offer you a discount on their current version or a free font. Nothing more.

Softmaker is portable. Once you've installed it you can generate a version you can carry on a USB-Key or simply copy to one or more other computers. You use the same key for all.

What I liked most about Softmaker's portability was that you don't have to load the entire application merely to use one part. Say your Operating system was on sda1. You could install Softmaker to sda2, automount sd2, and create a symlink to the wordprocessor's executable --I think named swriter-- and run it from your OS. I think all that would be necessary would be is to create a /usr/share/applications/writer.desktop file [modeled after abiword's] whose Exec argument would provide the entire path to the executable + its actual name.

I can't recall with certainty. So I do advise keeping multiple copies of the key in safe places. I lost mine when the my old desktop computer died and haven't had a reason to re-download and install on my new desktop.

mikesLr

wert

#5 Post by wert »

musher0 wrote:Hi wert.

My sympathies about your lost documents.

With a pet archive of LibreOffice or OpenOffice, -- not with a sfs -- It is possible
to have a symlink from /opt/openoffice or /opt/libreoffice to another drive, but the
problem remains: how much space do you have?
As a matter of fact I do have a pet archive of libre but it's a whopping 500MB. I didn't know you could symlink /opt/libreoffice. I'll try that. But why wouldn't puppy simply be able to load sfs at bootup if it's store in a different partition from the savefile? dude that's limiting it for no good reason.
As to your question about an alternative to LO, I know of two:
-- good old OpenOffice, now at version 4.14, IIRC,
and
-- Soft-Maker. As it happens, I received yesterday an invitation to beta-test
Soft-Maker Office 2018 for Linux. Maybe you could register on their site and
volunteer as a beta tester for this new suite?
The Soft-Maker Office Suite is very good, it has a reputation for rendering docx
documents extremely well, BUT it is not open-source and it is not free.

IHTH.
Actually I was talking about an alternative to abiword. I only need a good word processer. libre's swriter is the only reason I'm looking at installing libreoffice actually. All the builtin software in puppy with abiword's exception are working fine for me.

My specs are as follows:
Puppy Tahr 6
3Gb ext3 partition hosting savefile.
Save file is about the same size
An extra 1.2GB ext4 partition with 867 free space. This is where I'll move /opt/libreoffice to then symlink it back to my savefile's filesystem.

Thanks

wert

#6 Post by wert »

mikeslr wrote:Hi wert,

Maybe startmount will help: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 699#377699

Edit: Thanks bigpup. Forgot how the pmount application worked. Knowing that makes the above unnecessary.

Add WPS Office to musher0's list.

But I'd strongly suggest Softmaker Office. http://www.freeoffice.com/en/download. I've read it is the most compatible with documents produced under Microsoft Office Suite. But, like WPS, it only has a Wordprocessing, Spreadsheet and a Presentation application. IIRC, my last version's install program was only 75MBs (figure 225 Mbs diskspace). They usually have a free version, it being the last one before their current version. To use Softmaker Office you have to register in order to receive a key. They don't abuse that registration. From time to time they'll offer you a discount on their current version or a free font. Nothing more.

Softmaker is portable. Once you've installed it you can generate a version you can carry on a USB-Key or simply copy to one or more other computers. You use the same key for all.

What I liked most about Softmaker's portability was that you don't have to load the entire application merely to use one part. Say your Operating system was on sda1. You could install Softmaker to sda2, automount sd2, and create a symlink to the wordprocessor's executable --I think named swriter-- and run it from your OS. I think all that would be necessary would be is to create a /usr/share/applications/writer.desktop file [modeled after abiword's] whose Exec argument would provide the entire path to the executable + its actual name.

I can't recall with certainty. So I do advise keeping multiple copies of the key in safe places. I lost mine when the my old desktop computer died and haven't had a reason to re-download and install on my new desktop.

mikesLr
Thank you sir

wert

#7 Post by wert »

bigpup wrote:musher0 makes a good point.
Need to make sure LibreOffice is saving to a location that has some free space and enough of it.

Try this:

Left click on the LibreOffice sfs and drag it to the /mnt/home window and release.
Select link (absolute)

The LibreOffice sfs should now be listed in the list of sfs to select from to load.
Load it.

For this to work all the time you need to make the partition the LibreOffice sfs is on mounted all the time.

In Pmount program the option to mount at boot can be selected for each listed partition.

On bootup.
I hadn't though of that man. didn't even know there was at mount at boot feature in pmount.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

why wouldn't puppy simply be able to load sfs at bootup if it's store in a different partition from the savefile?
Because the only partition that is normally mounted is the one the save file is on.

The partition the sfs package is on has to be mounted to see it.

Partitions do not normally auto mount.
That option is your choice in Pmount.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, wert.

I'll second Mikeslr's suggestion of SoftMaker's FreeOffice.....and add that bigpup is perfectly correct; it's standard behaviour for Pups, and indeed throughout Linux, that partitions do not get mounted automatically, the way they do in Windows.

You have to make the conscious decision to mount them, or to arrange for auto-mounting yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'd never looked at FreeOffice before tonight, I must admit. I registered for the free key, downloaded the 32-bit .deb package, and eventually knocked together both .pet and SFS packages of FreeOffice 2016. At a total of 80MB, for a word processor, spreadsheet and presentations package, it's a more reasonable size.....and the W/P seems perfectly capable of handling the new .docx format.

It's quite impressive.....and very M$-like in appearance, especially if that's what you're used to. I believe the suggestion of sym-linking the SFS to /mnt/home, then 'loading' it from there should work.....though it's not something I've tried, myself. I keep a whole load of applications fully 'unpacked' into their respective directories on an external, 'remote' partition, then sym-link every item into each of my Pups where Pup expects to find them. Davids45 runs a whole bunch of stuff the same way (indeed, I got the idea from him originally), and has been investigating ways of installing multiple sym-linked packages, here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112249

--------------------------------------------------------------

If you're interested in the FreeOffice packages, you can find 'em here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112318

Help yourself to the one you want. See what you think of it.

Mike. :wink:

wert

#10 Post by wert »

bigpup wrote:
why wouldn't puppy simply be able to load sfs at bootup if it's store in a different partition from the savefile?
Because the only partition that is normally mounted is the one the save file is on.

The partition the sfs package is on has to be mounted to see it.

Partitions do not normally auto mount.
That option is your choice in Pmount.
What i meant with that is why wouldn't the developers have it automatically detect that the sfs is stored at a different partition and then have puppy automatically create a boot command to mount the partition.

It is unintuitive to have the user install a program then have it disappear when their device restarts, thus wasting time trying to find out what is the nature of the issue. BTW, I find that issue wierd since puppies's configuration are vastly flexible as compared with common OSs e.g. various savefiles in folders, partitions, optical media, flashdisks etc. I wouldnt have expected to find such a petty hinderance. And the main puppy's installer PPM is super cool, highly customizable etc. so I don't know what happened with the building of the sfs installer. Reckon many apps are in form of sfs and some apps are better installed as sfs for stability and convenience e.g. vlc + dependancies
Last edited by wert on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 11:22, edited 2 times in total.

wert

#11 Post by wert »

bigpup wrote: Try this:

Select link (absolute)

Load it.

On bootup.
Unfortunately it doesn't work. I presume pmount mount after the layered filesystem process. Is there like a super simple way to add this mount command directly via code e.g. "initrd" n stuff?

wert

#12 Post by wert »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, wert.

I'll second Mikeslr's suggestion of SoftMaker's FreeOffice.....and add that bigpup is perfectly correct; it's standard behaviour for Pups, and indeed throughout Linux, that partitions do not get mounted automatically, the way they do in Windows.

You have to make the conscious decision to mount them, or to arrange for auto-mounting yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'd never looked at FreeOffice before tonight, I must admit. I registered for the free key, downloaded the 32-bit .deb package, and eventually knocked together both .pet and SFS packages of FreeOffice 2016. At a total of 80MB, for a word processor, spreadsheet and presentations package, it's a more reasonable size.....and the W/P seems perfectly capable of handling the new .docx format.

It's quite impressive.....and very M$-like in appearance, especially if that's what you're used to. I believe the suggestion of sym-linking the SFS to /mnt/home, then 'loading' it from there should work.....though it's not something I've tried, myself. I keep a whole load of applications fully 'unpacked' into their respective directories on an external, 'remote' partition, then sym-link every item into each of my Pups where Pup expects to find them. Davids45 runs a whole bunch of stuff the same way (indeed, I got the idea from him originally), and has been investigating ways of installing multiple sym-linked packages, here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112249

--------------------------------------------------------------

If you're interested in the FreeOffice packages, you can find 'em here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112318

Help yourself to the one you want. See what you think of it.

Mike. :wink:
Actually I don't have bandwidth to try other programs right now, besides I have many libre packages from v3 to 5 sitting on my store, plus, I'm forced to use something I'm 100% sure of, that's after abiword damaged my odt docs leaving me stranded. But thanks for the info man.

In terms of GUI, actually I've never used MS software for anything serious rather than gamming on window's lapis so I've never used MS Office,
But personally, I think abiword and gnumeric are just fine in terms of UI so hadn't it been for the unreliability in abi, I wouldn't have any reason to use anything else.