Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 22:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy 2.15CE - Icewm Themes
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [45 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
WhoDo

PostPosted: Thu 15 Feb 2007, 20:52    Post subject:  Puppy 2.15CE - Icewm Themes  

Some new Icewm themes planned for Puppy 2.14CE. Please try in conjuction with new CE Wallpapers and let me know what you think. Here's a sample:

Remember to vote for your preferred theme to attract new users of Puppy rather than as something personally pleasing.

Cheers
CE-IcewmThemes.pup
Description  New Velvet themes for Puppy 2.14CE - Revision 1
pup

Download 
Filename  CE-IcewmThemes.pup 
Filesize  283.43 KB 
Downloaded  743 Time(s) 
CEwallpaper.pup
Description  New Velvet wallpaper for Puppy 2.14CE
pup

Download 
Filename  CEwallpaper.pup 
Filesize  918.88 KB 
Downloaded  690 Time(s) 

Last edited by WhoDo on Fri 02 Mar 2007, 18:27; edited 8 times in total
TonshA

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb 2007, 04:30    Post subject:  

These themes look fantastic! I'm looking forward to 2.14CE...
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb 2007, 17:44    Post subject:  

I kinda like them and I kinda don't. They just seem tacky to me. I don't really know what to suggest though. I've always liked True-Curve and RevolutionX (in various old dotpups). True-Curve would need a little bit of tweaking on the fonts. RevolutionX could use a little work in the taskbar, right now it seems a bit glaring. Alternate colorschemes for both would also be cool.

The wallpapers are okay, but I think something Puppy-ish would also be kool.

I'll play around with Gimp and IceWM next week and see what I can come up with. Very Happy

WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb 2007, 18:04    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
I kinda like them and I kinda don't. They just seem tacky to me. I don't really know what to suggest though.

Could that be the action buttons in the title bar? They are minimalistic and perhaps have an "unfinished" look about them, despite the coloured rollovers.

Pizzasgood wrote:

I've always liked True-Curve and RevolutionX (in various old dotpups). True-Curve would need a little bit of tweaking on the fonts. RevolutionX could use a little work in the taskbar, right now it seems a bit glaring. Alternate colorschemes for both would also be cool.

I have given RevolutionX a new start button in the latest theme pack, but I don't have True-Curve at all.

Pizzasgood wrote:

The wallpapers are okay, but I think something Puppy-ish would also be kool.

I'll play around with Gimp and IceWM next week and see what I can come up with. Very Happy

Now that would be great! I'm no artist and what I've done is to improve or modify the efforts of others. Something original would be good.

I'm also going to have another look at Vista_Black theme, to see if I can bring it a bit more originality. It's the most professional of the Icewm themes I've seen, but IceBergX is pretty darn good, too. The Vista connection in Vista_Black is not really important, and modifying it would give the theme some Puppy originality, IMHO.

Whatever you contribute will be great, I'm sure! Cool
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb 2007, 18:45    Post subject:  

TrueCurve Theme:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=991#991

TrueCurve-Aqua Theme:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=997#997

http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/truecurve/

truecurve is not my favourite theme ... it seems to be popular, though
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb 2007, 19:13    Post subject:  

Both True-Curve and RevolutionX are also in Pizzapup. True-Curve was my favorite until I saw IceBuntu and GreenBuntu, but I don't know if they'd be appropriate for Puppy CE. They do look great though, some of the best IceWM themes I've seen. I also like the port of Gorilla that I made, though I think the taskbar and menu could still use a little work.

I do like IcebergX. Very nice. Maybe some tweaking the graph applets, and possibly changing the font out of bold.

As for the velvet, it's not the action buttons. Also, tacky was too strong of a word. I was going from memory, which I should have learned by now to not do. Rolling Eyes It's the taskbar and the buttons on it that bug me. The paw print is cut off, and the buttons contrast the rest to much (the rest's fault more than theirs). Also, the active menu item seems too round compared to the rest of the menu. I could probably get over that though, it's not too bad.

Whoops. Mom's here. Gotta go.

Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb 2007, 20:44    Post subject:  

I dunno though... when I look at the default Puppy desktop---and then I take a look at what you've created above WhoDo, I tend to have just the opposite affect of Pizza. I first say, "Wooow..." and then my eyes bug-out after which I'm kind of left in a speechless state of mind.

Come to think of it though that's my normal state of mind most times. Wink

Of course, don't get me wrong about the default Puppy desktop, please! It's very functional... and it's "cute". Like the Puppy distro itself: "It just works." Smile Does an admirable job of it as well because it gets the job done. When I first came to Linux back last spring (via Puppy naturally!) I used it as-is for a month except for colouring the JWM to blue.

Ahhh!---but I think as more and more people become increasingly dis-Vistatised with their computers (hehe!) they're going to start going on little Walkabouts to look either at Mac's (too expensive in most cases) or Linux (free---but fractured with hundreds of distros). Unfortunately, since they'll be coming from the XP/Vista world looks are going to count heavily. Sad fact but true. The looks will grab them first and keep them interested. Then they'll be more apt to work a little harder to get over any hurdles they may encounter along the way to continue working with their "beautifully-gorgeous, speedy, little desktop that just works from a CD."

Personally WhoDo, I think you've made a great step in the right direction.

Keep up the great work---and thanks for the above freebies which I've added to all four of my IceWM desktop distros! Smile

Amicalement et Bonne Chance! In Friendship and Good Luck!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb 2007, 05:58    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
It's the taskbar and the buttons on it that bug me. The paw print is cut off, and the buttons contrast the rest to much (the rest's fault more than theirs).

I have just uploaded a revised version of the Velvet themes. They now incorporate a depressed button for the active application and the other buttons are less obvious in their coloring (see revised snapshot in first post).

Eyes-Only wrote:
Personally WhoDo, I think you've made a great step in the right direction.

Keep up the great work---and thanks for the above freebies which I've added to all four of my IceWM desktop distros! Smile

Thanks for the encouragement, Eyes-Only. I hope you enjoy the relatively minor changes I've made to the versions now in the first post of this thread.

Cheers
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb 2007, 06:19    Post subject:  

GuestToo wrote:
truecurve is not my favourite theme ... it seems to be popular, though

Thanks, G2. You and I are clearly on the same wavelength where Truecurve is concerned. For my money it just doesn't have the "Wow!" factor that will encourage further exploration. I'd actually prefer my modified IcebergX, if we were going for that crisp, blue-white approach. Cool

Cheers
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb 2007, 16:06    Post subject:  

I'll try the updated velvets when I get back on Sunday. I agree TrueCurve lacks "wow." I guess the simpleness is what appeals to me. It kinda reminds me of legos. Just seems tidy and modular.

EDIT: And I would probably also go with IcebergX over TrueCurve now that I've thought about it.

I was also going to say that I like the VistaBlack theme too, but then Mom came. Going by memory, I think it had a more dark-gray taskbar (as opposed to the dark black of the velvet themes). I think what bugs me about them is that I don't care for the gooey-black look. I mostly like lighter themes, but dark gray is a nice change once in a while. Black just seems to be too far for me. When I try looking at it without that preference, it looks pretty nice. I actually do like it somewhat, I'm just being critical.

Besides, I can install my own themes. Looking at the screenshot, it looks better, but the start button has more empty space than I like. Maybe if the paw was to the left and followed by "Menu" or "Puppy"?

BTW, the green is my favorite.

Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb 2007, 16:51    Post subject:  

Aha! Now Pizza has expressed it far better. Sorry for my above Pizza! Embarassed I do agree with what he's said WhoDo with perhaps the Paw Print being placed off to the left, and how about a stylish"Menu" being placed beside it as you're so great at doing with the "Start" word? Something like that?

In the above screenie that you showed (IcebergX?), that to me was likewise gorgeous! Makes my eyes bug-out!! Shocked (Sorry! Couldn't resist!) However, how about updating the menu icons also being updated in "/usr/share/pixmap" to display and equal the beauty of you desktop and ROX icons? You were probably going to get around to that anyway I would imagine now that I think of it... Yet I couldn't help noticing how "out of place" they were with the rest of your icon theme.

BTW WhoDo: What IS the icon theme that you're using for the desktop/ROX there in the above shot? I seem to have a similar one for the desktop---but those directory ones in ROX take the cake Exclamation What a beautiful set!

And thanks for the updated themes as well. I'm just now getting here and haven't even had the chance to download/open them. Will do now and stop being long-winded. Wink

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

EDIT #1: And BTW: The Green Velvet Theme is likewise my fave of the three as well! Smile

WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb 2007, 17:44    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
Looking at the screenshot, it looks better, but the start button has more empty space than I like. Maybe if the paw was to the left and followed by "Menu" or "Puppy"?

BTW, the green is my favorite.

Ok, I'll make a mock up with the button the way you suggest. No problem.

Eyes-Only wrote:
I do agree with what he's said WhoDo with perhaps the Paw Print being placed off to the left, and how about a stylish"Menu" being placed beside it as you're so great at doing with the "Start" word? Something like that?

Yep. I'll do one with "Start", one with "Menu" and one with "Launch" or maybe "Programs", just to see how they look.

Eyes-Only wrote:
However, how about updating the menu icons also being updated in "/usr/share/pixmap" to display and equal the beauty of you desktop and ROX icons? You were probably going to get around to that anyway I would imagine now that I think of it... Yet I couldn't help noticing how "out of place" they were with the rest of your icon theme.

Good point. I hadn't gone that far in my thinking about the interface. The mock ups were just to get people like you popping their eyes out at the prospect! Razz

Eyes-Only wrote:
BTW WhoDo: What IS the icon theme that you're using for the desktop/ROX there in the above shot? I seem to have a similar one for the desktop---but those directory ones in ROX take the cake Exclamation What a beautiful set!

Glad you like them. It's a personal mixture of KDE-CrystalSVG, OS-K and Futurosoft 0.5 themes. I have combined all of my favourites into a SuperGPLIconThemePak and uploaded to MU's mirror. I'm sure it'll show up there eventually. Download is about 18Mb though.

The best of these icons will appear in /usr/share/pixmaps under Puppy 2.14CE, just to make it easy for our customers! Razz
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb 2007, 19:03    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:

Quote:
"Glad you like them. It's a personal mixture of KDE-CrystalSVG, OS-K and Futurosoft 0.5 themes. I have combined all of my favourites into a SuperGPLIconThemePak and uploaded to MU's mirror. I'm sure it'll show up there eventually. Download is about 18Mb though."

18megs huh? So? And your point is? Razz LOL! Oh heck WhoDo! What's a little 18megs amongst friends anyway? My pup_save is 1.25gigs on a 100gig drive (I think?) and I've got other icon theme sets that are 30 to 40megs sitting on some of my other distros---one of them in Puppy even! I'm just a real resource hog I guess. Wink

Wow! That's quite a combo of various icon themes you've described there when I read through it! I can't wait now to see this release! I'm dang-well frothing at the mouth here. (But I'm not a rabid pup really! I've had my shots Honest Injun!)

While we're at it on "ideas": Back here awhile ago, and I can't recall the thread (though Lobster might) a person posted a "fix" to the "Wizard Wizard" for the mouse settings in Puppy 2.xx series to make the mouse left-handed. Now I've copied his file/script as I was going to attempt the fix on my Puppy, yet no longer being a scripter (and definitely NOT in Linux!) the thing looked Greek to me. Goes into the Wizard in "/sbin" if I recall correctly.

I only bring this up because, #1: I'm a southpaw when it comes to mousing yet I don't want to go into X to change it nor fiddle with the terminal, plus for now I prefer IceWM over Xfce (in the past it was the opposite) and, #2: I've read others requesting this feature as well. Interested?

Apparently the coding makes a radio button that you can tick off for left/right-handedness and is set right-handed by default.

Okie, best stop while ahead. Wink

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

MU

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb 2007, 19:56    Post subject:  

http://puppyfiles.org/packages/Icons/SuperGPLiconPak.pup (18 MB!)

whoodo:
please create your own folder in /incoming/, there is some old stuff, and it gets difficult to sort out what can be removed.

Thanks, Mark
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb 2007, 03:14    Post subject:  

MU wrote:
http://puppyfiles.org/packages/Icons/SuperGPLiconPak.pup (18 MB!)

whoodo:
please create your own folder in /incoming/, there is some old stuff, and it gets difficult to sort out what can be removed.

Thanks, Mark

No problem, Mark. I'll do that straight away.

Cheers

UPDATE: Anything not yet available from PSI downloads has been moved to my /incoming directory. Everything else deleted.
Page 1 of 3 [45 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: