How to upgrade Precise Puppy 5.7.1's web browser? (solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
wildsi

How to upgrade Precise Puppy 5.7.1's web browser? (solved)

#1 Post by wildsi »

I've got a relatively old PC (Dell Optiplex 755) with an Intel Core Duo processor and 1/2 GB RAM. I find Precise Puppy works best (TahrPup and Slacko regularly freeze up). However I have encountered a problem with YouTube recently. It states that the web browser is no-longer supported and does not allow editing of videos in Creator Studio.

Is there a more up to date web browser PET available for Precise Puppy 5.7.1? I've look at the browsers available at:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... s-precise/

I've tested Chromium 29.0, Firefox 26 and Seamonkey 2.19 but none are new enough for Youtube.

Thanks,

Simon
Last edited by wildsi on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

Try palemoon-27.6.2-p4-glibc219tweak.pet

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi wildsi,

Try Watchdog's palemoon-27.6.2-p4-glibc219tweak.pet, available here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 676#973676.

I'm not sure, but perhaps the glibc libraries built into Precise may be too old to simply run current browsers. Watchdog overcomes that problem by building more recent glibc libraries into the pet.

This palemoon should work. But, occasionally, websites test a browser before allowing access, then restricting you to the newest chrome or firefox. You'll find that Palemoon has an addon, called user-agent-switcher, which will spoof such websites into thinking it is one of the permitted browsers.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 00:18, edited 2 times in total.

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

I have firefox 45.9esr that might be of use. This installs in root, so you will have to move the .mozilla folder (hidden) currently there.

A single 2Gb DDR2-667 RAM probably runs less than UK10.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Just following up 8Geee's post about moving the .mozilla folder*. Another way is to rename it, to say .1mozilla. You have to do either because the first time you run the new firefox it insists on creating its own folder named .mozilla in which it expects to store configuration files. With a .mozilla folder already existent, it can't create a new one. Once it has, you can rename that .mozilla folder, to say, .2mozilla. Then you can return you original .mozilla folder, or rename .1mozilla to .mozilla, and you may have your old settings and bookmarks back. If the old .mozilla folder presents a problem to your new firefox, you can delete it and rename .2mozilla to .mozilla. If not, you can delete .2mozilla.

As a precaution, backup your bookmarks before installing the new firefox. You can also import those bookmarks into Palemoon.

* Within the .mozilla folder you'll find a firefox and, as you've also tried seamonkey, a seamonkey folder. It's actually not the existence of the .mozilla folder which presents the problem, but rather the included mozilla or seamonkey folder depending on which new webbrowser you're trying to install.

miikesLr

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, wildsi.

Unless you've got any specific objections to the Chromium-based browsers, there are at least 3 which I regularly use in 571.

---------------------------------------------------

The very last 32-bit Linux Chrome release (48.0.2564.116), available from my MediaFire a/c as .pet or SFS.

The latest 32-bit SlimJet which will run in Precise - 14.0.16.0 (available from OscarTalks'; .pet or SFS; you want the top two items, from here), and based on Chromium 59.

Or the latest 32-bit Iron browser which will run in Precise - 58.0.3050.0 (again, available from Oscar, as .pet or SFS, from here), and based on Chromium 58.

All of these play will play YouTube videos (and NetFlix) without incident.....and work with 571's glibc-2.15 quite happily. The CoreDuos use minimum SSE2s, later models running SSE3s, so you'll have no problems with Chromium-based stuff, which wants at least SSE2 to function.

8Geee's FF45esr should work happily.....although I've got FF52esr running quite nicely in 571 as well (with Oscar's apulse 0.10.0-wz.pet pulseaudio sound bug 'fix' incorporated). FF52 will run NetFlix.....FF45 won't; Mozilla didn't introduce the ability to do this until FF49. If you're not bothered about NetFlix et al, FF45 is recommended. And I can thoroughly recommend watchdog's stuff, as endorsed by mikeslr above.

You're really rather 'spoilt for choice', TBH..! And I agree with 8Geee; extra RAM would not go amiss (and shouldn't 'break the bank', either..!)

Hope that helps.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 00:53, edited 10 times in total.

8Geee

#6 Post by 8Geee »

in the special case of my ff459esr, the .mozilla file is included. It prevents breakage I've encountered.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

watchdog

Re: Try palemoon-27.6.2-p4-glibc219tweak.pet

#7 Post by watchdog »

mikeslr wrote: Try Watchdog's palemoon-27.6.2-p4-glibc219tweak.pet, available here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 676#973676.

I'm not sure, but perhaps the glibc libraries built into Precise may be too old to simply run current browsers. Watchdog overcomes that problem by building more recent glibc libraries into the pet.
Palemoon 27.6.2 works out of the box in precise with the original glibc 2.15. Just download the tarball from:

https://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

Untar it in /usr/lib with xarchive and click on the palemoon binary. Allthough I recommend the glibc 219 tweaked package because of the glibc's security flaws of precise.

cthisbear

#8 Post by cthisbear »

Mike Walsh and OscarTalks':

" The latest 32-bit SlimJet "

Just installed the Slacko version pet Mike.

Working fine on all of my 4 banking sites....Precise 5.61.

Cheers and many thanks.

Chris.

wildsi

#9 Post by wildsi »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've spent some time testing each one out. I've decided to switch to Chrome 48.0.2564.116. It allows me to edit videos in the Creator Studio in YouTube.

With regards to my 0.5Gb of RAM, after opening the case of the PC, I discovered that there are actually 2 X 0.5Gb boards of memory. I took them out and remounted them and now I'm back up to 1Gb!

YouTube stated that Palemoon 27 was not a supported browser (when in Creator Studio). This was after installing user-agent-switcher.

Slimjet and Iron Browsers look impressive. However, I was unable to play any videos in YouTube ("browser doesn't recognise any of the video formats available").

Finally, Firefox (45 and 52) I couldn't get to open...

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Simon