Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
musher0

#161 Post by musher0 »

Hello radky.

Thanks for this wonderful New Year gift!

May it meet with wide success and acceptance outside our kennels!

Please find attached a couple of screen captures of my icewm "Spaniel"
desktop, running over DPupStretch-7.5.

Hats Off! Well done!
Attachments
spaniel2.jpg
Background photo by Paul Buffington, pic # 423331, at unsplash.com
(59.81 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
icewm-spaniel.jpg
(76.23 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

radky

#162 Post by radky »

Billtoo, Terry H, musher0

Thank you for the kind comments, and many thanks to the Puppy community for supporting Dpup Stretch. :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

dejan555

#163 Post by dejan555 »

I don't think so radky, I think it's a regular 1TB sata drive.
I'll try out the release candidate maybe it will make a difference.
Also, I do have ext4 partitions but the partition I booted from is older ext3 fs.
My xmas tree is blocking my PC these days though as it stays on a pc desk xD
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

mfb

#164 Post by mfb »

Congratulations radky - you've hit the top spot (immediately) following the Editorial in the January 2018 free-to-all issue of our Forum newsletter: http://smokey01.com/newsletters/

My only m/c is a quite well endowed 64 bit desktop (circa 2010) which runs either of your 32 bit kernel options (whether for legacy or recent hardware) including some 50 extra applications and changes, with equal aplomb.
Attachments
7.5 Final.png
(225.19 KiB) Downloaded 460 times

radky

#165 Post by radky »

dejan555 wrote: I think it's a regular 1TB sata drive.
I'll try out the release candidate maybe it will make a difference.
Also, I do have ext4 partitions but the partition I booted from is older ext3 fs.
@dejan555,

Edit: Will wait for your report.

Thanks
Last edited by radky on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

Sailor Enceladus

#166 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

One thing I have noticed, in both 7.5 versions (final and rc) is that after about 10 seconds of the desktop appearing (sometimes it's 20 seconds, sometimes 5), there is a screen flash, where the entire screen turns black and comes back again, like X is quickly restarting. This itself is not too much of a problem, but if your cursor is holding down the left-mouse button to drag a window or selecting an program on taskbar or something similar while the black screen refresh happens, the "desktop focus bug" will happen after the screen comes back and everything freezes and cannot be selected, and a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is required to regain control of the desktop. This has happened to me twice now, when the unexpected "X restart" took place. I'm not sure where this screen refresh happens in the code yet, maybe somewhere in delayedrun or in one of the autostart scripts, but it doesn't happen in any other puppies nor in a vanilla Stretch build (from what I remember), so perhaps something was added in this build that creates this screen refresh? I'll try to look at the changelog later in more detail to see what causes this (perhaps it was added to fix something else).

Aside from that, if you make it past that stage, everything seems to running great in this 7.5 final iso for me so far though. :)

roadkill13

#167 Post by roadkill13 »

Posting from EEEPC 901:

# inxi -Fxx
System: Host: puppypc24464 Kernel: 4.1.48 i686 bits: 32 gcc: 6.3.0
Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 dm: N/A Distro: Dpup Stretch 7.5
Machine: Device: laptop System: ASUSTeK product: 901 v: x.x serial: EeePC-1234567890
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: 901 v: x.xx serial: EeePC-0123456789
BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2103 date: 06/11/2009
Chassis: ASUSTek type: 10 v: x.x serial: 0x00000000
Battery BAT0: charge: 48.3 Wh 100.0% condition: 48.3/48.4 Wh (100%)
volts: 8.3/8.4
model: ASUS 901 serial: N/A status: Full
CPU: Single core Intel Atom N270 (-MT-)
arch: Bonnell rev.2 cache: 512 KB
flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3201
clock speeds: min/max: 199/1600 MHz 1: 1599 MHz 2: 1599 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:27ae
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2
drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1024x600@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2
version: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.6 Direct Render: Yes
Audio: Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:27d8
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.1.48
Network: Card: Ralink RT2790 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe
driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1814:0781
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:15:af:e6:83:46
Drives: HDD Total Size: 28.0GB (10.2% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ASUS size: 4.0GB serial: N/A
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ASUS size: 8.1GB serial: N/A
ID-3: /dev/sdc model: Flash_Reader size: 15.9GB serial: N/A
RAID: System: supported: linear raid0 raid1 raid10 raid6 raid5 raid4
No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Unused Devices: none
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 115 Uptime: 25 min Memory: 310.3/2005.9MB
Init: SysVinit v: N/A runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 6.3.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121 running in lxterminal) inxi: 2.3.53

Everything appears to be working well. Thank you radky!

radky

#168 Post by radky »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:One thing I have noticed, in both 7.5 versions (final and rc) is that after about 10 seconds of the desktop appearing (sometimes it's 20 seconds, sometimes 5), there is a screen flash, where the entire screen turns black and comes back again, like X is quickly restarting.
Sailor, please check your PM for additional testing.

Thanks

radky

#169 Post by radky »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
One thing I have noticed, in both 7.5 versions (final and rc) is that after about 10 seconds of the desktop appearing (sometimes it's 20 seconds, sometimes 5), there is a screen flash, where the entire screen turns black and comes back again, like X is quickly restarting.
The screen flash you notice is 'jwm -restart' called on a delayed basis while loading the JWM desktop.

Although this should be innocuous, it seems the desktop of jwm >= 2.3.0 may become non-responsive if the user is interacting with the menu (or desktop windows) when jwm restarts.

I have adjusted the code and re-uploaded the Dpup iso as of 02 Jan 20018 (still version 7.5).

To apply the fix to the prior iso of 01 Jan 2018, go to line #137 of /root/Startup/FbBox and change 'jwm -restart' to jwm -reload.

Note: This issue applies to the JWM desktop, not FbBox.

I apologize for this inconvenience.

mavrothal

#170 Post by mavrothal »

Happy New Year
Congratulation on your Dpup final.
Tried the previous version of final briefly and looks fine.
However, when booting from the CD, the new logo makes the boot message and any typed kernel arguments practically invisible. Looks like that the red overlay gets on the console text too.
The other thing I noticed on first boot is that it takes longer than other puppies to show the quicksetup screen (20sec vs 3 sec for Xenial) and also to show the setup screen after that (15sec vs 5 sec for Xenial).
After that everything is fine and snappy so nothing major, just a bit underwhelming first impression.
Could be specific for my hardware but if indeed the case for others too you might want to have a second look.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

davids45

Pinboard start-up problem with Full Pups

#171 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Following Sailor Enceladus's post:
I occasionally have noticed the same thing (short period black screen then all is OK).

However, with Full installs of recent Stretch (and Slacko), I've a slightly different problem but maybe with the same fix suggested by radky. I'll try it later and report back.

Stretch loads up but the pinboard is 'unfinished' - many application icons are not loaded and pwidgets is also not displayed. A 'Restart-X' fixes the display.
A new Full Slacko has the same minor problem (before and after screenshots for both Pups - the only difference is a restart-X).

Note: the applications with unloaded icons and pwidgets are all running via symlinks to my boot-loaded data partition.
After installing the new Full Pup (which is fine icon-wise), I install about thirty .pets of my applications made of entirely of symlinks.
Rebooting the apped-up Full Pup now gives the missing icon problem - as though it stops loading the links before they are all completed.

I was thinking a pinboard icon to run restart-X would be OK for me but maybe there's a better solution if radky's fix is applicable to me as well as Sailor Enceladus?

Thanks for any advice.

David S.
Attachments
stretch-startup.jpg
(126.76 KiB) Downloaded 1028 times
stretch-after-restartX.jpg
(200.71 KiB) Downloaded 995 times
slacko-startup.jpg
(178.65 KiB) Downloaded 1010 times
slacko-restartX.jpg
(240.16 KiB) Downloaded 1031 times

radky

#172 Post by radky »

Multiple reports indicate Dpup Stretch release status is not final.

Revert to RC-2

OscarTalks

#173 Post by OscarTalks »

Moat wrote:Only extremely tiny issue so far - Galculator's results window background color is not "taking", and it's theme (drop down menus, mostly) is displaying differently than the selected default - likely a GTK2 vs. GTK3 issue (as I believe Galculator is now completely ported to GTK3...?)
I guess this issue is resolved with the GTK3 theming now, but in case it is helpful I just wanted to mention that galculator can be compiled from source for GTK2

Master from github shows as 2.1.5devel but there don't seem to be any recent commits. Configure with --prefix=/usr --disable-gtk3
Pet attached FOR TESTING
Attachments
galculator-gtk2.jpg
Colour chooser is ring and triangle dialog window
(90.97 KiB) Downloaded 992 times
galculator-2.1.5-i686-gtk2-stretch.pet
Galculator 2.1.5devel compiled for GTK2 in DpupStretch
(117.13 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Oscar in England

Smithy

#174 Post by Smithy »

Yes I noticed that restarting thing Sailor mentions, after a few seconds, and also some apps not starting for ages.

So much so, that I ripped out the kernel and put a 3.17.7 in.
That was a bit snappier, but then I tried the one with the radky 4.1 kernel and that is ok.
I do like to stick in the same puppy on a six ghz comp as well as an old fujitsu 1gb ram netbook that just refuses to die, runs well on both.

Is it because the devs are putting loads of sleeps in or something?
I mean you can take safe sex to a limit..but! You gotta be a bit maverick with Puppy.

If you could get the code from joewing or the other suspects to make the TRAY go semi transparent or even the fake transparency (using the background wallpaper in the jwm code or something I can't remember, on the jwm git) that would be good to add in your JWM desktop app Radky. https://github.com/joewing/jwm/issues/202
I would say JWM is just about becoming liveable with.

It's gonna need some pets I would say, I can't get to trim the fat after the PPM downloads SO much from Debian, some of which is definitely surplus and the list is so long that one can't get to the trim the fat dialogue!
We are not Pulse, we are ALSA.

Tried Kaffeine for instance. Cool program, very snappy, but some klaunch error dialogue that needs nuking, and wanted to try Calligra Words, to see if that is any good (but not all the rest of the suite, the spreadsheet and planner in puppy is already good, as is osmo IMO).

Possibly you could maybe start doing diff files from here on in, instead of iso, because it seems nearly final to me.

I still like OscarTalks version with the Jack in because that Jack is difficult to get going, and the high latency was because of those latest kernels I think. but latest Qtractor works very well.
Anyways, good stuff.

hamoudoudou

dpup Stretch 7.5 RC installed to day for check

#175 Post by hamoudoudou »

dpup Stretch 7.5 RC installed to day for check
Palemoon. This browser fits my needs.
About mufti-users OS, often it was for schools, pupils and teachers. Run as root is a perfect idea.. Don't change that ! Each user will have his own pupsaves, that is simple and enough.
PPM tested, with Tintii
Installed, and works
pupsaveconfig and screeny installed.
An OS without applications ??? 32 bits will provide so many, more than 64 bits, and enough without any Wine
FATDOG64 was just for a try (see GRUB4dos screenshot)
My Grub4Dod did not broke FATDOG boot, (verified)
Attachments
Grub4Dos.jpg
Mono user.
(36.71 KiB) Downloaded 862 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 11:18, edited 3 times in total.

radky

#176 Post by radky »

mavrothal wrote:The other thing I noticed on first boot is that it takes longer than other puppies to show the quicksetup screen (20sec vs 3 sec for Xenial) and also to show the setup screen after that (15sec vs 5 sec for Xenial)
The boot scripts in Dpup Stretch RC-1 and RC-2 are from Woof-CE of 12-12-2017.

It would be helpful if you provide hardware specifications for your test of Dpup and Xenial.

Does boot speed improve if you test on different hardware?

Do you experience slow booting with the 4.1 and 4.9 kernels of Dpup? If I recall correctly, Xenialpup uses the 4.4 kernel.

Some users are reporting slow booting and slow app loading with the 4.9 kernel. If this is the case, perhaps it would be best to drop the 4.9 kernel option? Is a second kernel option really necessary?

Are there any negative reports for the 4.1 kernel?

radky

#177 Post by radky »

Smithy wrote:Yes I noticed that restarting thing Sailor mentions, after a few seconds, and also some apps not starting for ages.
Do I understand correctly, the version with the 4.1 kernel is OK for your hardware? No long delay when loading apps?

Thanks

mavrothal

#178 Post by mavrothal »

radky wrote:It would be helpful if you provide hardware specifications for your test of Dpup and Xenial.
The hardware is the same.
The apparent difference in quicksetup and welcome1stboot was the network connection.
The first is addressed with this commit.
and the second in this commit.
Kernel does not make a difference.
Glitches in my local network biased against stretch :shock: was the source of the apparent differences.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Terry H

#179 Post by Terry H »

I mainly use FBbox as my WM, so I wanted to have a look at this desktop flashing issue reported by Sailor Enceladus. I swapped back to JWM and rebooted, all I saw on my laptop (Core i3-5005U / 8GB RAM) was the slightest blink of the desktop, not actually a black screen.

But that's not the reason for this post. While I was using JWM I noticed that my keyboard keys for Volume +/- and Mute don't work in JWM, but function in FbBox. The Dell laptop uses F1, F2, F3 for Mute, Vol -, Vol+ respectively.

I'm just reporting an anomally between the 2 WM's, not expecting any action.

davids45

kernel difference?

#180 Post by davids45 »

G'day radky,
Do you experience slow booting with the 4.1 and 4.9 kernels of Dpup? If I recall correctly, Xenialpup uses the 4.4 kernel.

Some users are reporting slow booting and slow app loading with the 4.9 kernel. If this is the case, perhaps it would be best to drop the 4.9 kernel option? Is a second kernel option really necessary?

Are there any negative reports for the 4.1 kernel?
I just tried a Full Stretch-7.5 with each kernel and the 4.9 kernel gave me my "usual" incomplete pinboard set-up (see earlier post screenshot) again fixed by a restart-X.
The 4.1 kernel Stretch booted to a good pinboard with app. icons displayed correctly and seemed quicker to get there than the 4.9 kernel. But see Postscript :( .

Both Stretches have my apps installed as symlinks-only pets (running from my boot-mounted data partition) which may or may not be part of my problem with 4.9. I have the same incomplete-boot issue with the latest Slacko but can't recall if my Xenial or Artful Pups are affected. I'll have a play and let you know.

Thanks for all your time and effort with these Stretches which are otherwise very good once underway, including printing which had been tricky for me with Debs but is now OK once I add the needed ld-lsb.so.3 link to ld-2.24.so.

David S.

Postscript: Just restarted my Full Stretch-k4.1.59 and now it failed twice to get correct booting to pinboard - fixed with a restart-X; looks like my problem is not kernel-specific but irregular?
Last edited by davids45 on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.