Puppy Linux Newsletter

Promote Puppy !
6502coder

#101 Post by 6502coder »

The Newsletter Index has been updated through the November 2017 issue.

MochiMoppel

#102 Post by MochiMoppel »

smokey01 wrote:Clicking on the Update button usually works for me. I think the filename needs to be identical though.
No, it doesn't. The forum software doesn't care for the filename. It manages attachments by IDs (check URLs of attachments, they all end with something like mode=attach&id=112535).

When you push the "Upload New Version" button, the old file, linked to a certain ID, will be deleted and the newly uploaded file will be registered with the same ID.

If you push "Delete Attachment" and then upload a file with the "Add Attachment" button, then the old file is deleted and the ID previously assigned to this attachment will not be reused. If you try to access an URL with such "dead" ID you will seethis. On the other hand the newly added attachment will receive a brand new ID and count starts with 0 views.

smokey01

#103 Post by smokey01 »

MM you are probanly right regarding the filename not having to be the same but clicking on the update button does not reset the download counter which was the original objective.

MochiMoppel

#104 Post by MochiMoppel »

My "No" was meant to refer only to the identical filename assumption. Sorry if my quoting caused confusion.

smokey01

#105 Post by smokey01 »

MochiMoppel wrote:My "No" was meant to refer only to the identical filename assumption. Sorry if my quoting caused confusion.
Thanks for clarifying the filename use. All good here.

greengeek

#106 Post by greengeek »

I have always been confused about the "new version" button - it has never previously worked for me. However, seeing this exchange made me try it again and i think it may be worth noting that it is not self-explanatory (at least not to me...)

It is not effective to just click "upload new version" - that does nothing.

It is imperative to click "choose file / add attachment" first. That uploads the new file to the forum cache. After that you can click "upload new version" then the update will occur. After that the new version appears and the counter updates with each new upload (without resetting the upload counter).

Dunno if that makes sense to others but that is the only way that works for me.

Greatnessguru

Download link bug: 2017 July Read Online

#107 Post by Greatnessguru »

http://smokey01.com/newsletters/

2017 July Read Online:
http://smokey01.com/newsletters/2017/July/

Right-Click, then Save Link As:
WRzJNCn1.html

It should be:
0007-PuppyLinuxNewsletter-July2017.html

Example:
0008-PuppyLinuxNewsletter-August2017.html

6502coder

#108 Post by 6502coder »

The Puppy Newsletter Index file has been updated through the December 2017 issue. Get the index here as usual:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 064#950064

EDIT: reposted to incorporate an editorial suggestion by mfb

smokey01

#109 Post by smokey01 »

Over the past 12 months I've mentioned this newsletter is supposed to be community based. This simply means, for it to survive, the community needs to contribute and sadly it hasn't. There have been a few regulars and I have very much appreciated their help.

The last couple of months has been particularly shorter on content and the Jan 2018 edition will be no different, if and when I manage to publish it.

In a nutshell, If more people are not willing to help, I'm afraid the newsletter will die.

Happy New Year to all.

s243a

#110 Post by s243a »

smokey01 wrote:Over the past 12 months I've mentioned this newsletter is supposed to be community based. This simply means, for it to survive, the community needs to contribute and sadly it hasn't. There have been a few regulars and I have very much appreciated their help.

The last couple of months has been particularly shorter on content and the Jan 2018 edition will be no different, if and when I manage to publish it.

In a nutshell, If more people are not willing to help, I'm afraid the newsletter will die.

Happy New Year to all.
In my opinion there was lots of content on the December news letter. That said don't let the news letter consume you too much. As popular as the news letter seems to be, In my opinion the work that you have done keeping older non-official puppies alive is more important.

Your website is often the only place that one can find a large collection of pets and sfs files for older non-official puppies.

Thanyou for all your hardwork for the puppy community :).

6502coder

#111 Post by 6502coder »

The Puppy Newsletter Index file has been updated through the January 2018 issue. Get the index here as usual:

Thanks again to smokey01 for putting the Newsletter together!

hamoudoudou

all eggs should be in the same basket..

#112 Post by hamoudoudou »

all eggs should be in the same basket.. The older basket. If people do their own way, first that will be uncomplete, and To much work to update.
Update wiki should be the policy since Puppy was born.
I Have the same opinion for repositories.
Puppy luvr was the responsible for documentation , was he ? Himself was not informed.
Attachments
Ecur.jpg
Puppy news is the place to use !
(74.9 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

6502coder

#113 Post by 6502coder »

The Puppy Newsletter Index file has been updated thru the Feb 2018 issue. See the link 2 posts back.

6502coder

#114 Post by 6502coder »

The Puppy Newsletter Index file has been updated thru the March 2018 issue. See the link 3 posts back.

Sorry for being late this month. In compensation, I took extra time to proofread the Index file and caught several minor typos introduced in previous issues, so now is a good time to update your copy of the Index file.

Antipodal

Puppy Linux Newsletter

#115 Post by Antipodal »

I have been very busy during this last year and I haven't been able to visit the forum as frequently as before.

Recently I've been less demanded by other engagements and I've tried to update myself with matters related to the Puppy family.

This has allowed me to experience the very pleasant surprise of rediscovering the Puppy Linux Newsletter (and its valuable index) with its interesting sections, articles and references.

My congratulations to smokey01 and to all of you who have helped him in constructing this useful tool.

I look forward to reading the following editions and to collaborating with you someday.

smokey01

#116 Post by smokey01 »

Thanks for your kind words Antipodal.

It's a bit of a struggle each month to post a new edition as I have multiple interests and the Newsletter is not at the top of the list.

More contributors are welcomed.

Cheers

6502coder

#117 Post by 6502coder »

The Puppy Newsletter Index file has been updated through the April 2018 issue. Get the index here as usual:

smokey01

#118 Post by smokey01 »

There may not be a May 2018 edition as I'm stuck in bed. I am unable to sit or walk. It appears I've damaged my back but I can't remember when or how. It's been almost a week now and the situation is not improving. It's driving me nuts.

Sorry

Terry H

#119 Post by Terry H »

Sorry to hear you're unwell at the moment. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

6502coder

#120 Post by 6502coder »

The Puppy Newsletter Index file has been updated through the May 2018 issue. Get the index here as usual: