Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#601 Post by bigpup »

I tried booting the new CD on my Toshiba Satellite C75D-B7215 laptop, which is about 2 years old, has UEFI boot, AMD A8 64 bit quad core 1.5 GHz processor, Radeon A5 Graphics, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD. The CD booted all the way to launching the xorg desktop, but which immediately exited,
Could be the graphics driver trying to be used.

Try this:
As soon as the CD boots to the Puppy boot screen Press F2 key and keep pressing it until the option screen pops up.
type:

Code: Select all

puppy radeon.modeset=0
press enter key to continue the boot up.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

escucha

#602 Post by escucha »

@ 666philb

Hi, thanks for the help, must say:

vlc from the PPM is NOT working for me.

No video, only black screen and when started from console get errors about apulse play.

Now I'm using VLC 2.2.8 in Appimage form (PPM offers only 2.2.2 version and It puts a lot of garbage not necessary, stepping on your original xenialpup64 files and drivers) I do'nt want this.

Greetings for your 7.5 version. Do you expect to launch any update soon?

Happy pup-year 2018 to all!
[size=75]Trying Fossapup 64bit. Still daily work in Bionic64.[/size]

Yoliano

ISO Image CD

#603 Post by Yoliano »

@bigpup

Hi, thanks for your response. Tried your suggestion, but with no success. The option parameters screen returned an error: "puppy - command not found". After that, it presented the message "Press any key to continue". So I did, but the process proceeded exactly as before, with Xorg exiting.

Can you modify your code?

bigpup

#604 Post by bigpup »

Try the command this way:

puppy pfix=ram radeon.modeset=0
That =0 is the number 0
YaPI(any iso installer)

foxpup

bad burn?

#605 Post by foxpup »

@Yoliano

Since you have problems with 2 different machines to boot the CD, my first thought is: could your CD be burned badly?

I suppose you managed booting a Puppy on one or either machine before?

Lassar

Installing wine on Xenialpup64?

#606 Post by Lassar »

I have read, that you don't want to install wine, from the Puppy Package manager.

So I un-installed wine, that I had installed.

Is there any wine pet that will work on Xenialpup64?

Do any wine pets have winetricks included?

I have tried to install PlayonLinux, but no luck.

Is there a winetricks pet & PlayonLinux pet, that will work on Xenialpup64?

Anyone have any experience with this?

rockedge

#607 Post by rockedge »

I have wine running on a Xenial 64 bit system. I am not near the machine at the moment to check which version of Wine I used...it may have been from the PPM but need to check that out. One draw back is I can not get 32bit Windows programs that will run excellently with Wine on Tahr 64 or Xenial 32 bit will not go at all with Xenial 64 pups including the ones I custom made with Woof_CE testing branch and various sources of Wine

I will update which Wine I used and is running on my Xenialpup64.

mikeslr

Wine after loading 32-bit compatibility libs

#608 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Lassar,

Xenialpup64 easily runs wine. But as it is a 64-bit OS and wine is a 32-bit application [even the new Wine 2 series only provides 64-bit support], you first have to load Xenialpup64's 32-bit compatibility SFS, and open a terminal and type "ldconfig" to establish the 32-bit architecture. [Best to run a simple 32-bit SFS before installing wine, just to make sure the architecture is working].

Any of Version2013 wine pets can be used. All include wine-tricks as does the wine-portable I cobbled together. Links to Version2013's pets are found on this thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 128#725128 The newest pets will be found at the end of the thread, but read the first post for valuable information relating to wine menus and a GUI for wine-tricks. Once wine is installed, open a terminal and type "wine winecfg" --without the quotes-- to setup the wine environment.

You'll find a link to the latest wine-portable with instructions here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 452#971452, earlier versions at the start of that thread. After unpacking the tar.gz where ever you like, you just Right-click the folder and select Register. Then to setup the wine environment select any wine entry from Menu>Utilities or Menu>System. The latter provides a listing of all builtin wine programs and any you later install.

As configuration of the wine environment may involve installing mono and/or gecko, first having an internet connection is recommended.

Mike Walsh provides instructions for having a GUI for winetricks if you're not satisfied just running it from the terminal: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 096#900096

A couple years ago, kost@s provided a pet and instructions for installing playonlinux: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90396. I can only recommend it if your Windows programs need different versions of wine as each version will require additional space. I've never found that necessary. And frankly, as most of the Windows programs I run are portables, I find it easier to create menu entries for wine or wine-portable by hand than via the convoluted system playonlinux uses. Once you have one desktop file, editing it to handle a different program is easy: just changing a couple of names. Of course, I keep all portables together in /mnt/home/xp-portable. That is, when I run their setup programs that's where I select their containing folders to be installed.

mikesLr

p.s. rockedge posted while I was typing. I've found windows programs which won't run under any version of wine. But I haven't noticed any which would run under an earlier wine version and not under later, nor any difference in which puppy it was setup under. Maybe I've been lucky. Which programs are you interested in?

T-Biscuit

passwd bug?

#609 Post by T-Biscuit »

I had been running 7.0.8.6 with few issues (some fiddling with sound on my my "value" recent model HP desktop running a quadcore AMD E2-7110).

Yesterday I did a clean install of 7.5 and am finding this error in my CLI --
>root# passwd
passwd: pam_start() failed, error 26

I like to change my root password from the default. In a google search for this error, I came across a mention of the same problem in 2013, for 5.5 puppy. Then it seemed to happen after installing stuff from Ubuntu. Might be the same thing for me, as I installed BOINC from the Ubuntu packages.

I suppose I could start over with a clean install, and install the generic Berkeley package. But, I wondered if anyone else is seeing this? Maybe I can just wait for a bugfix.

Thanks for reading.

Yoliano

ISO Image CD

#610 Post by Yoliano »

@bigpup

Thanks for your second response. Tested your modified code, but without success. Exactly the same messages were presented and xorg desktop exited.

For your information, my Toshiba laptop has Fatdog64-710 installed, (Frugal), which is my daily workhorse, and Win10, fully updated. I know that 710 is not a "true" pup any more. The only pup that I have installed previously, (now deleted), is B.K's Quirky. So this perhaps could be a problem.

@foxpup

Thanks for your comments. My own thoughts have been turning in the same direction. So, with your stimulus, I decided to make a new ISO CD. In the case of this first CD, with which I have been having all the trouble, I downloaded the ISO file from nluug and burnt it to a CD on my Toshiba L/T. So for the new one, I decided to download from ibiblio and burn it to CD on the HP Notebook. (My wife graciously gave me permission)! The md5sum checked OK after download and after burning. When completed, it booted into xenialpup64 on the HP Notebook smoothly and quickly. It seemed to be working perfectly and I was able to do the initial config and to set up Save Directory.. So problem solved, in this case.

Afterwards, I tried to boot the new CD in my Toshiba L/T. But immediately encountered the problem reported previously with the first CD: that is, xorg desktop exited immediately after launch. So problem not solved in this case.

I have written this in detail because it might be helpful to others.

I welcome any new ideas that might lead to a solution to this remaining problem. Many thanks for your interest and help.

RetroTechGuy

#611 Post by RetroTechGuy »

s243a wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:What is everyone's overall impression? I'm still running Lupu (which I like due to the compatibility with Debian code -- but it's starting to show its age -- and the "old" Debian code is often no longer "old enough" for compatibility).

And my question gets me a tracker, so I can find this thread again... ;-)
Is your computer newer then 2008. If not you might want to try the kernel tweak proposed by musher0 (see thread).

Will you be installing it a fast storage media (e.g. USB 3.0 or SATA). If not I would then say use something older like tahrpup (see thread)
Thanks 243!

So I booted the Xenial-64 CD, that works fine. Connects to the network, yada yada, yada... No tweaks, no hangs.

Then I went to install it to my USB HDD (which is already bootable, and already has several versions of Puppy... Lupu, Sulu, Slacko, ...)... First it wanted to muck with my already working boot sector, then it appears that it intends to do a full install (since it never offered me an opportunity to install into a subdirectory) -- does the Xenial-64 not support frugal installs?

I'm not too keen on potentially losing my working drive, to try this version. I like the frugal installs (particularly for cloning the system to a new machine ;-) )

BTW, Dell Latitude E5400, 4GB RAM (internal has Win10 -- which doesn't play well with Linux, so I run from an external USB HDD)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

rockedge

#612 Post by rockedge »

Hello teabiscut. I have a fix for you. Open the puppy package manager go to uninstall scroll through find " passwd" and delete it then try again

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 096#940096
Last edited by rockedge on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#613 Post by bigpup »

Yoliano,

Try this boot option to get it to boot:

puppy pfix=ram i915.modeset=0
YaPI(any iso installer)

foxpup

Re: ISO Image CD

#614 Post by foxpup »

Yoliano wrote: Afterwards, I tried to boot the new CD in my Toshiba L/T. But immediately encountered the problem reported previously with the first CD: that is, xorg desktop exited immediately after launch. So problem not solved in this case.
You get to prompt where you can do xorgwizard, don't you?
What choices do you make in xorgwizard? Try them all, one after the other. Certainly try modesetting and vesa also. Also try letting xorgwizard choose the resolution.

Once you get to X, you should find out how to make the most of your graphic card(s). I am not familiar with Radeon, but you should find out what driver it needs. Is this Radeon R5 (A5?) something like a second graphic card, like intel/nvidia dual graphics in intel machines? Dual graphics are not yet well supported for linux by intel/nvidia, but it might be better by AMD.
Last edited by foxpup on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

eps

xenialpup, pwidgets

#615 Post by eps »

xenialpup32 7.5 full install pwidgets not works
xenialpup64 7.5 full install pwidgets not works
but
xenialpup64 7.0.8.5 full install pwidgets works ok
thanks
eps

Brown Mouse

#616 Post by Brown Mouse »

666philb wrote:
battleshooter wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:I've tried several different Android devices and none of them seem to work in MTP mode making it impossible to gain access to the internal storage.
p310don wrote:How are you trying to connect them? I have found that the "connect your android phone" thing under filesystem does nothing, but Pupcamera under graphic works well for me.
There should be a little pop up notification saying one needs to install go-mtpfs. This is the one I downloaded and added to XFCE Xenial with dependencies if you want to give it a go.

go-mtpfs.pet

I'm not sure what version it is, it's just the one available from the PPM. The only time it hasn't worked for me is when I was using a bad usb cable. Phil's made it quite a cool automatic system, once go-mtpfs is installed, XenialPup will sense when your phone is plugged in and automatically ask you if you want to mount it.
cheers battleshooter & brownmouse fixed in quickpet
Thanks Phil

RetroTechGuy

#617 Post by RetroTechGuy »

RetroTechGuy wrote:
s243a wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:What is everyone's overall impression? I'm still running Lupu (which I like due to the compatibility with Debian code -- but it's starting to show its age -- and the "old" Debian code is often no longer "old enough" for compatibility).

And my question gets me a tracker, so I can find this thread again... ;-)
Is your computer newer then 2008. If not you might want to try the kernel tweak proposed by musher0 (see thread).

Will you be installing it a fast storage media (e.g. USB 3.0 or SATA). If not I would then say use something older like tahrpup (see thread)
Thanks 243!

So I booted the Xenial-64 CD, that works fine. Connects to the network, yada yada, yada... No tweaks, no hangs.

Then I went to install it to my USB HDD (which is already bootable, and already has several versions of Puppy... Lupu, Sulu, Slacko, ...)... First it wanted to muck with my already working boot sector, then it appears that it intends to do a full install (since it never offered me an opportunity to install into a subdirectory) -- does the Xenial-64 not support frugal installs?

I'm not too keen on potentially losing my working drive, to try this version. I like the frugal installs (particularly for cloning the system to a new machine ;-) )

BTW, Dell Latitude E5400, 4GB RAM (internal has Win10 -- which doesn't play well with Linux, so I run from an external USB HDD)
So installing to a flash drive, then dragging the content to a folder on my USB HDD worked (then editing the menu.lst)

It is a little concerning that when it wants to "fix" the boot sector, that it doesn't have an option "do nothing" -- I don't recall which tool I used to set up the boot sector, but with it working I certainly don't want some new system screwing that up...

Also installed Precise (along with my other collection). First impression is that Precise is quite snappy. Haven't had a chance to play with Xenial yet.

RetroTechGuy

#618 Post by RetroTechGuy »

So I typically use Thunderbird as my email client. Unfortunately, Xenial-64 can't seem to install it. I downloaded .pets from the Xenial collection on Ibiblio, which didn't work. And PPM couldn't find one that would install. Did I miss something (this is probable -- what did I miss?).

I also tried Firefox 57, which also didn't work (couldn't install).

bigpup

#619 Post by bigpup »

666philb,

Here is a strange issue about boot up and shutdown.
Dealing with a ext4 partition.
Other operating systems have no issues with it.
Xenialpup64 7.5 can even read and write to it.
However, it seems to affect the boot up and shutdown.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112448
Used the same puppy usb in other pc, and it boots, reboot and shut down perfectly.
What is more strange is that this partition writes and reads normally, and can be mount and unmount as well, even when running xenial. The issue happens just when rebooting or shuting down
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#620 Post by bigpup »

RetroTechGuy wrote:So I typically use Thunderbird as my email client. Unfortunately, Xenial-64 can't seem to install it. I downloaded .pets from the Xenial collection on Ibiblio, which didn't work. And PPM couldn't find one that would install. Did I miss something (this is probable -- what did I miss?).

I also tried Firefox 57, which also didn't work (couldn't install).
Sure the save has free space for the installs?? :idea:

Have you tried to install them from Quickpet?

Uninstall whatever you do have installed by using PPM uninstall.
I would even reboot after the uninstall.
Then try installing from Quickpet.
YaPI(any iso installer)