Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#561 Post by bigpup »

Help us out.

The older Xenialpup that works.

menu>System>Pup-Sysinfo>Devices>Network>

Post what this shows for the wireless device.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Volhout

dislocker

#562 Post by Volhout »

The world has become so complex.......

Dear 666Philb,

I have chosen you! I am having a hard time to determine who is leading mainstream Puppy development now, as there are many heading their own development, but no-one steps up for mainstream.

01Micko seems to work mainly ad hoc and in the background
Barry is doing his own thing
Fatdog team only focus on their baby.

So I don't know where to go with this idea, and maybe it is you.?

The micro$oft world is pushing bitlocker for increased security (remember the scandals with USB sticks found in trash). For Linux there is "dislocker" that can decrypt the bitlocker encrypted volumes.

A PET, that I have working on Slack 5.7.0, XSlacko, XSlacko Slim, has been made by Goinnuts:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 7&t=102976

I think it would enhance puppy Linux a lot if this could be integrated standard, and made user friendly.

As puppy stands now, the bitlocker encrypted volume is visible as a volume on the desktop. But when you open this volume it is shows a large set of encrypted files.
It would be really nice if you could open the volume (right click) and after typing the password, it would show the actual files.

dislocker puts them in /tmp/dislocker (the above post shows how it works).

I have tuned above script so it is workable for me, but I have absolutely no knowhow of puppy core so this would be integrated as suggested above.

Since dislocker pet is small in size I can imagine this becoming a part of standard puppy, seemless integrated with the mount and unmounts actions for volumes at the desktop.

I hope I have reached the right person for my idea. Or maybe you can forward this to whoever could be motivated to make this part of woofCE (zigbert ? bigpup ? ) so it may become a basic part of puppy.

Volhout

Replicators

#563 Post by Replicators »

bigpup wrote:Help us out.

The older Xenialpup that works.

menu>System>Pup-Sysinfo>Devices>Network>

Post what this shows for the wireless device.
Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:001c] (rev 01)
• Kernel Driver: ath5k
• Memory Used: 119.28 KB
• Path: /lib/modules/4.9.13/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath5k/ath5k.ko
• Description: Support for 5xxx series of Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards.

Replicators

#564 Post by Replicators »

Ok, i tried again with 7.5 and this time i installed pet on usb flash, and didn't install to internal hard drive this time and made a small save file and after i rebooted, the wifi worked. I want to install it on the internal though and it doesn't ask me to save when rebooting or shutting down so it doesn't restart with the save, so that';s been my whole problem is i don't know how to save the settings.

bigpup

#565 Post by bigpup »

How exactly are you doing the install?
Details???

After you install to an internal hard drive.
You need to run Grub4dos Bootloader config to install a boot loader to boot from the hard drive.
Select the hard drive as the install device and just use the default settings for everything else.
OK.
OK.
OK.
Done.

Also, do not have the Xenialpup USB plugged in, so you make sure it is actually booting from the internal hard drive install.

Are you trying to install to internal hard drive and still have Windows and Xenialpup on the drive?

If Windows is going to stay on drive or you are keeping the drive formatted in a Windows format.
Run Windows defrag and chkdsk to get the ntfs or fat32 file system defragged and any errors corrected, before you do the Xenialpup install.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Replicators

#566 Post by Replicators »

I know how to install to hard drive, i used the one-click installer scripts i found somewhere which worked. The problem i am having it seem's is it seem's to not be saving after i reboot to load the driver's from the pet file on startup. I try to install the pet file again and say's it is already installed, but it seem's to not load on startup.

This is a pure linux install btw, no windows on it.

bigpup

#567 Post by bigpup »

i used the one-click installer scripts i found somewhere which worked.
Those scripts could be written for how older Puppies work and may not apply to how Xenialpup works.

If you are having problems.
They must not be working and doing a correct install to the hard drive.

Is it a full install?
A frugal install?

Installing a pet on any correct Xenialpup install will work.
YaPI(any iso installer)

foxpup

#568 Post by foxpup »

Replicators wrote: it doesn't ask me to save when rebooting or shutting down so it doesn't restart with the save, so that';s been my whole problem is i don't know how to save the settings.
Pets you install and changes you make are saved in the savefile when you have a frugal install. When you run Puppy frugally, the first time you shut down it will ask you if you want to make this savefile (and save everything you did in it) or not. At next boot of your frugal Puppy, the savefile will be searched and loaded and Puppy will save everything you do in it without asking. So your pupsavefile has to be large enough; but if you know it will get to small, you can make it bigger.
I wonder if you still have the usb in. Perhaps Puppy finds the pupsave there and uses it, although Puppy starts up from the hdd.
Ok, i tried again with 7.5 and this time i installed pet on usb flash, and didn't install to internal hard drive this time
What do you mean by that? It doesn't matter where the .pet is. The pet, that is its content, has to be "installed"; after that the pet is useless.
You install a .pet by clicking it and the puppy package manager (PPM) will install it for you. Its content will end up in the pupsavefile. You do not install a .pet, by placing it somewhere, maybe extracting it.
It is different when you make a full install of Puppy, but still you have to click the .pet and the PPM has to run. In a full install there is no savefile and the installation of the .pet ends up into the full installation, +- like in windows. However, full install is NOT the best way for Puppy.

Sailor Enceladus

#569 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Replicators wrote:Ok, i tried again with 7.5 and this time i installed pet on usb flash, and didn't install to internal hard drive this time and made a small save file and after i rebooted, the wifi worked. I want to install it on the internal though and it doesn't ask me to save when rebooting or shutting down so it doesn't restart with the save, so that';s been my whole problem is i don't know how to save the settings.
It seems there are more reports lately of people having problems creating a savefile on hard drive. Affected systems seem to be Xenialpup 7.5 and Dpup Stretch 7.5 RC-2 so far, I think. mavrothal has added some scripts to help figure out what's going on here for the brave debuggers: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 423#979423

mikeslr

#570 Post by mikeslr »

And musher0 has published a SaveFile kit with instructions for use if for any reason you Puppy isn't able to create a SaveFile, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 799#850799

mikesLr

Replicators

#571 Post by Replicators »

I am wanting to make a full install, but when i do the pet file seem's to not be activated upon restart. The reason i want to use xenial is because of it's small size and the laptop i am installing it on only has a 8 gb internal hard drive on it.

You guy's keep mentioning how a full install is supposed to be like how it is in windows and doesn't need a pupsave, yet when i try to install the atheros pet file, it doesn't seem to save or even recognize that it was installed upon restart. I am not asking about the frugal install or the use of a pupsave. How can i have it save on a full install?

ally

#572 Post by ally »

why a full install?

frugal is the way to go imho

provide a link to the pet you have downloaded

:)

mikeslr

#573 Post by mikeslr »

@ Replicators,

Does your computer have more than 256 Mbs of RAM? A "Full Install" is IMHO a "hack" developed to provide users of computers with 256 Mbs of RAM or less with a way to boot up a Puppy and open applications slightly faster. Puppies were created to run as Frugal Installs --meaning only that an entire partition isn't required. There is nothing you could do on a Full Install which you can't do on a Frugal Install, and many things you can't do on a Full Install which you can do on a Frugal Install. Not the least of the things you can't do on a Full Install is reasonably easily recover from mistakes and problems. Most often on a Full Install your only remedy is to wipe the install from your computer and start from scratch.

If you have less than 256 Mbs of RAM, you shouldn't be trying Xenialpup at all. It's minimum RAM requirement is 768 with 1 Gb recommended.

If you can place your Frugal Puppy on a partition formatted as Linux --Ext3 is my recommendation-- you can have both the benefits of a Frugal Install and the slight benefits of a Full Install because on a Linux Formatted Partition you can choose to create a SaveFolder rather than a SaveFile. A SaveFile is created with a fixed size. If you under-estimate how large a SaveFile you need you would have to resize it (application to do that is on the Menu). I prefer SaveFiles and have never needed one greater than 2 Gb, that with 'the Out house sink' installed. Large programs --like libreoffice-- don't reside in the SaveFile. They are available as SFSes --squashed/compressed file systems-- on your hard drive loaded when needed (always on bootup if you want) and unloaded when not. Full installs can't use SFSes. They must be installed, taking up 3 times the space on your drive.

A SaveFolder has no fixed size. It will automatically expand to the entire available space on its partition as and when you install applications and data into it. A SaveFile is compressed --which is why it takes a little longer to access the information within it. A SaveFolder is not, which provides the 'speed benefit' of a Full install. But not being compressed, it also requires as much as 3 times the space on its drive as that used by a SaveFile to contain the same applications and data.

mikesLr

Replicators

#574 Post by Replicators »

Ok, frugal is the way to go then. I think i figured it out now. Thank's for the information guy's.

Sage

#575 Post by Sage »

Can't agree with mike - too much compression going on. Let's see the uncompressed operating system, at least, because we cannot see the other compressions going on without resort to whole disc editors, assembler dissemblers and down to digital bit levels. FULL install is the only way forward - see what's what and what you're trying to do with it!

Sailor Enceladus

#576 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Sage wrote:too much compression going on. Let's see the uncompressed operating system, at least, because we cannot see the other compressions going on without resort to whole disc editors, assembler dissemblers and down to digital bit levels. FULL install is the only way forward - see what's what and what you're trying to do with it!
I have both frugal and full puppy installs. Full install does work for me with recent woof-CE puppies, and has it's perks, like if you are starving for RAM (<=1GB) and want to use modern browser on busy social media and video sites without an adblocker or noscript. Once you boot into a frugal puppy though, or even when you click on an sfs, you can see the full uncompressed files, so I don't see how that is an issue... unless you mean seeing it from another OS, but who needs anything other than Puppy? :lol: Windows/DOS can't even see ext partitions without added software anyway. I think your complaint only exists because you didn't know you could click on sfs files then "View contents" to open them? or are you talking about the initrd.gz and vmlinuz? :)

davids45

Frugal then Full

#577 Post by davids45 »

G'day Replicators,

Like Sailor Enceladus, I have Full and Frugal Pups on my desktop.

There's plenty of room for both as I have two hard drives (each about 500GB) and over 1GB of RAM.

I'd agree that starting and learning with the Frugal Pup format is the better option as it's so simple to re-do when a trial turns into an error :( .
Just delete the Save file and go again. Even better if before a trial, you save the Save file (there's an app in the Utilities Menu) so you can re-start from where you left off by using the last Save file, rather than back at 'square 1'.

Full Pups are more trouble to fix since its whole partition may need re-doing in case of a disaster. I give each Full its partition of about 3GB (with GParted) but run and store a lot of stuff in the Fulls from my very large data partition. Otherwise, Fulls will need more space in their partitions - maybe as much as 10GB for each Full :shock: .

Frugals only need a sub-directory and many Pups can happily co-exist in a moderately sized partition. I have over twenty Frugal Pups on a 30GB partition - I use a separate menu.lst file for the Frugals.

Once you're happy with a Frugal and would like it also as a Full, set up a smallish empty partition for it and use the Universal Installer in the Frugal to create the Full. Adding your applications may be a bit different but sfs can be installed in most cases without problem. The new Full won't carry across your additions from the Frugal unless you re-master.

Have fun with both types.

David S.

Sage

#578 Post by Sage »

I give each Full its partition of about 3GB
Not quite what I do nor recommend. When did the price of HDs jump so much?! You only need an HD capacity >~10Gb to run a FULL, although there are plenty >40Gb and beyond gratis, slightly used (examine the S.M.A.R.T. record if you're suspicious or doubtful!). Fit a caddy(caddies) to your machines. FULL are best run on their own drive so that a wipe, update, upgrade or overwrite is inconsequential. Keep your data/downloads/bookmarks/addressbooks/emails backed-up on another disc or USB tab. Then there's Clonzilla - even Jesse on DW recommends it. Messing with Frugals & multi-distro partitions will eventually lead to disaster even for the gurus - doesn't seem logical (pun intended).

belham2

#579 Post by belham2 »

Sage wrote:
Messing with Frugals & multi-distro partitions will eventually lead to disaster even for the gurus :roll: - doesn't seem logical (pun intended).

Well, guess my long gone gramps was right. The world just went to sh!t the day the carburator became obsolete :lol:

mikeslr

#580 Post by mikeslr »

Actually, IIRC, mikeb put me to the fact that logical partitions are 'experimental' when I reported that mine kept disappearing.

@ belham2, your gramps was an optimist. The world went to shit when they substituted a mechanical device for the mule that pulled an elevator's ropes.

mikesLr